Recommend a new TV please

Bigsmak

So my TV packed in and the repair shop says it's not economically viable to repair as any fix might not even work. So I need to buy a new one and I've been researching and looking online and the choice is vast. 

Looking for between 55 to 65'

Don't think I need Oled as it's just for watching TV and movies.  So 4K UHD is fine.

Trying to keep it under £600 or £700 so appreciate that we are in the 'budget' range.

Seen some recommendations for the Amazon fire TV, but others reporting that the interface is slow and takes ages to change channel.

Very.co.uk have deals on their LG TVs where they are giving 20% cash back after you purchase. 

So kickback... Any thoughts? 

PortyJambo

Can never go wrong with a Samsung IMO, last 3 TV's I've had have been them and all have been reliable and gave me exactly what I was looking for. Can't say what they have in the range you're looking for, as my TV's have all been smaller (our living room isn't huge, so 55-65" would look ridiculous), but the last one we bought was a 4K UHD and it's been good value. Was about £300 I think, so a bigger one might be in your budget.

henrysmithsgloves

I have had Sony,lg, Samsung in the past which have been good 👍🏻 I now have hisense smart TV,it has all the bells and whistles for brand name that would cost 3 x as much. Can't fault it at all. My daughter works for a major electrical chain,in customer complaints department,she recommended the make..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hisense-Inch-QLED-Smart-65E77KQTUK/dp/B0C4Z4N5CQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=hisense+smart+tv&qid=1707669202&sr=8-7

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

Looking for between 55 to 65'

Don't think I need Oled as it's just for watching TV and movies. 

That's what OLEDs excel at. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I get that.. but I'm not going to game on it.. and I'm not going to spend the money needed to get one

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes Eva Olod is a good coach 

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

What’s the difference in quality between OLED and QLED, what is it that makes this difference, and is it worth it?

Watch 1-2 matches, and maybe 1-2 hours of other TV per week.

hughesie27

Have a look at TCL TVs. You get a lot for your money compared to the main Brands. Review very well.

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Have a look at TCL TVs. You get a lot for your money compared to the main Brands. Review very well.

Got a couple of Hisense TVs in the house. Absolutely fine.

The user interface is much better than Samsung or LG ones that friends/family have.

Samuel Camazzola

Samsung "The Frame". 😍

Has all the features you need and looks the part with the attachable bezels. 👍 

OLED is great if you draw the curtains and turn the lights out. Otherwise the glare isn't worth it for normal TV watching.

Richer Sounds is my recommendation - 6 year guarantee too.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Would echo the earlier recommendation of Hisense. I bought one as a second TV and it's better than the more expensive 'first' TV which is an LG. Recommended the same TV to my mum and she says the Hisense is better than her previous Samsung. Something like this would fit into your budget: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-55u6kqtuk-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-miniled-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10256147.html.

henrysmithsgloves
19 minutes ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Would echo the earlier recommendation of Hisense. I bought one as a second TV and it's better than the more expensive 'first' TV which is an LG. Recommended the same TV to my mum and she says the Hisense is better than her previous Samsung. Something like this would fit into your budget: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-55u6kqtuk-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-miniled-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10256147.html.

Jesus, that's £200 odd quid dearer than it was in September 😯 I bought the same for just over £300

Don't buy an LG Smart TV, especially one of their "budget" ones.

The WebOS "operating system" is dreadful.  Like, absolutely, woefully, chronically bad.  When I turn my TV on, it takes about 30 seconds for it to actually begin responding to inputs, the apps like Netflix and Disney+ seem to need updated every ****ing day.  It is painfully slow.  Don't get me started on the stupid mouse cursor that the remote defaults to whenever you pick it up, like some sort of Nintendo Wii hybrid where you have to wave it around to move the on screen cursor, or leave it perfectly still for 30 seconds to get it to return to a normal remote.

I have a Samsung TV in the other room, and it's like night and day.  I turn it on, and it just works as soon as the screen comes on.

Edited by tian447

4 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Jesus, that's £200 odd quid dearer than it was in September 😯 I bought the same for just over £300

You probably bought the A6 and not the U6. I bought the A6 and it’s the price you paid, the U6 is higher spec but looks similar. 

henrysmithsgloves
21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You probably bought the A6 and not the U6. I bought the A6 and it’s the price you paid, the U6 is higher spec but looks similar. 

I stand corrected sir,it is indeed the A6👍🏻

Jim_Duncan
24 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Ftfy😜

Not in Scotland it doesn’t :( 

Montgomery Brewster
On 11/02/2024 at 15:52, rudi must stay said:

My TV is an LG very reliable got it from Curry's

Absolutely. 

I work at a large bank and we have an LG tv in the welcome area. 8 years old and been on Monday to Friday 8pm to 6pm over that time. Still cracking picture and never a hint of trouble. 

crunchy frog

I've had Panasonic for 30 years until my current one which is an LG. Its a tele, I don't need to see the players bogies in UHD so is fine for me. Everything goes through the firestick anyway so I dono much about the interface. What I will say is I'd never buy a tele from anywhere apart from John Lewis with the free 5 year guarantee but they don't price match any more I notice.... 

44 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

....What I will say is I'd never buy a tele from anywhere apart from John Lewis with the free 5 year guarantee but they don't price match any more I notice.... 

John Lewis won't be here in 5 years' time

Richer Sounds the safer bet I reckon

vegas-voss
21 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Got a 65" in my living room absolute brilliant value for money.Does everything and is brilliant for gaming has absolutely everything you need.

crunchy frog
21 minutes ago, kila said:

John Lewis won't be here in 5 years' time

Richer Sounds the safer bet I reckon

Aw...don't say that, man.