The team that was........

No Idle Talk

No Idle Talk

I'm sure back in the mists of time there has been a thread on here about this but hey ho.

Although the ending is painful there are some wonderful memories in here. My happiest time as a Jambo if I'm being honest. It's difficult to explain it anyone who wasn't there. At the start of the season NOBODY had any idea that we would be close to winning the league. In fact, after the first round of fixtures we were kicking around the lower half of the table. Then for some inexplicable reason things just took off. 27 league games undefeated and there were some great days in amongst that. Winning at Parkhead, a 0-1 win at Pittodrie against a really good Aberdeen team, and smashing Dundee Utd 0-3 at Tannadice.

Although we ended up with nothing, trophy wise, that season is the season more than any other I will take to my grave with me. It was a special time.

Edited by No Idle Talk

The TV strike in the middle of that season means we’re denied footage of some great moments.

King of the North

The 0-3 at Tannadice was incredible. At that moment, we were winning the league.

I was 13. Didn't go to Dens but went to Hampden a week later. 

Shed some tears that day, which meant the tears of joy that flowed on May 16th 1998 were all the sweeter. 

Great times

No Idle Talk
7 minutes ago, leginten said:

The TV strike in the middle of that season means we’re denied footage of some great moments.

Interesting. I don't remember that.

No Idle Talk
5 minutes ago, King of the North said:

The 0-3 at Tannadice was incredible. At that moment, we were winning the league.

Shed some tears that day, which meant the tears of joy that flowed on May 16th 1998 were all the sweeter. 

Great times

Tannadice was an amazing day. I remember almost getting crushed when the second goal went in. My auld man, who is a total fatalist when it comes to Hearts, even stood on his own for about twenty minutes after the final whistle because he couldn't believe what he had just seen and he was so sure we were going all the way. That's how good it was 😄

1 minute ago, No Idle Talk said:

Interesting. I don't remember that.

Can’t remember exactly when it started or finished, but there’s no footage, for example, of the vital 1-0 win at Pittodrie.

Cameronstheman

Great times that season was, especially from where we had been. I went to all the  home and away matches  and we would take a double decker to most games, was always bouncing. So many cracking wins to choose from. Like many winning 3-0 at Tannadice i thought we can do it, wasny to be sadly. Cup final was a sore one as well but it will never take away the fantastic times i had and the memories will live with me for ever 

gordon simpson
16 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'm sure back in the mists of time there has been a thread on here about this but hey ho.

Although the ending is painful there are some wonderful memories in here. My happiest time as a Jambo if I'm being honest. It's difficult to explain it anyone who wasn't there. At the start of the season NOBODY had any idea that we would be close to winning the league. In fact, after the first round of fixtures we were kicking around the lower half of the table. Then for some inexplicable reason things just took off. 27 league games undefeated and there were some great days in amongst that. Winning at Parkhead, a 0-1 win at Pittodrie against a really good Aberdeen team, and smashing Dundee Utd 0-3 at Tannadice.

Although we ended up with nothing, trophy wise, that season is the season more than any other I will take to my grave with me. It was a special time.

my favorite season also . We were a baw hair from winning the league  

been here before

Obviously it didnt end up the way we wanted but I wouldnt have missed that season for anything.

Absolutely convinced after the Tannadice game we'd win it.

What a ****in ride that was.

gordon simpson
Just now, Cameronstheman said:

Great times that season was, especially from where we had been. I went to all the  home and away matches  and we would take a double decker to most games, was always bouncing. So many cracking wins to choose from. Like many winning 3-0 at Tannadice i thought we can do it, wasny to be sadly. Cup final was a sore one as well but it will never take away the fantastic times i had and the memories will live with me for ever 

we started season with one bus by the and we were running three busses  

No Idle Talk
1 minute ago, leginten said:

Can’t remember exactly when it started or finished, but there’s no footage, for example, of the vital 1-0 win at Pittodrie.

Aye I am gutted about that because that was my favourite match in that whole season. Beating Aberdeen at Pittodrie was a HUGE deal. I can vaguely remember John Colquhoun running through and slipping the ball across Jim Leighton and into the bottom corner. It was some buzz coming back on the bus that day.

Салатные палочки

I remember watching that years ago. They showed it on a Friday night on BBC1. You can see how much it meant to the players at the end. Henry, JC, Doddie and Sandy Clark all close to tears. 

I was only 3 in 1986 and it would be a few years before I went to a game. So, fortunately for me, the Albert Kidd songs and references over the years have meant very little to me. Pretty sure a lot of our younger fans aren't even aware of what happened that day which means soon, the Hobos chants and references will be defunct. Hopefully like their club. 

Cameronstheman
Just now, gordon simpson said:

we started season with one bus by the and we were running three busses  

Aye funny you mention that we would take an extra bus to certain games, our away support was something else

No Idle Talk
4 minutes ago, Cameronstheman said:

Me too buddy. I think I was at every game that season, if I wasn't I only missed one or two. Was a hell of a ride.

Percival King
15 minutes ago, King of the North said:

Great times

I'll always remember a policemen said to me after final whistle at Dens that there's always next season. Well, Souness and Lawrence Marlborough scuppered that. Crazy now to think that we were so close to winning the double, and I think we would have if we'd won the league.

superjack

Remember watching that programme when it came out. Some cracking memories were re-remembered. My old man had horrendous arthritis from his mid 20s and struggled to stand for a whole game, but couldn't sit in the stand for a whole game either. From early December up until dens, he told my mother "f it, superjack and I aren't missing this, I'll just take lots more pain killers on match day".

At Tannadice for the 3 0 when everyone thought that we would go all the way, he forgot to take his pain killers. When the second goal was scored, the euphoria appeared to be the best pain relief he'd ever taken.

No Idle Talk
1 minute ago, superjack said:

Remember watching that programme when it came out. Some cracking memories were re-remembered. My old man had horrendous arthritis from his mid 20s and struggled to stand for a whole game, but couldn't sit in the stand for a whole game either. From early December up until dens, he told my mother "f it, superjack and I aren't missing this, I'll just take lots more pain killers on match day".

At Tannadice for the 3 0 when everyone thought that we would go all the way, he forgot to take his pain killers. When the second goal was scored, the euphoria appeared to be the best pain relief he'd ever taken.

Haha great story. 🙂

No Idle Talk
3 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I'll always remember a policemen said to me after final whistle at Dens that there's always next season. Well, Souness and Lawrence Marlborough scuppered that. Crazy now to think that we were so close to winning the double, and I think we would have if we'd won the league.

Aye. I've always felt if we won the league we would have won the cup too. Although the players might have been too pished to put in a performance at Hampden to be fair. 😂 Being honest though, if we'd have won the league and lost the cup final I'm not sure I would have cared too much. Winning the league would have meant everything. The cup would have been an after party after that.

gordon simpson
3 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Aye. I've always felt if we won the league we would have won the cup too. Although the players might have been too pished to put in a performance at Hampden to be fair. 😂 Being honest though, if we'd have won the league and lost the cup final I'm not sure I would have cared too much. Winning the league would have meant everything. The cup would have been an after party after that.

we were in Roseburn bar after Dens park game  best party I ever saw after a game WTF would it have been like if we had won ?

N Lincs Jambo
14 minutes ago, Cameronstheman said:

Aye funny you mention that we would take an extra bus to certain games, our away support was something else

It sure was. We were given, and filled, the Broomloan stand at Ibrox for the JC 2-0 game with a few hundred Hearts in an overspill section of the main stand. We must have had 8K fans there out of a total crowd of 33K

Hectormasson
23 minutes ago, been here before said:

Obviously it didnt end up the way we wanted but I wouldnt have missed that season for anything.

the journey was  brilliant , minus the last 2 games🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Tannadice was a dream day. 

In turn, though, it probably made Dens even worse for the naive 18 year old me. I genuinely thought the title was won and the clinching a formality after that 0-3 win. It wasn't arrogance, as many a Hibby now tries to claim, it was a mixture of euphoria and, as stated, naivety.

A hard lesson well learned but, as others have suggested, it was a fantastic season. The Hibby will never know, nor understand, what it felt like, which has always made their Albert Kidd sneering irrelevant to me.

It was Roy of the Rovers stuff, really.

Well, until the last 97 minutes.

heartandsoul
53 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Great post mate

Robbo-Jambo
51 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Fantastic time to be a Hearts fan.

An emotional rollercoaster that I was glad to be a part of even though the ending was so so painful.

PortyBeach
27 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Tannadice was an amazing day. I remember almost getting crushed when the second goal went in. My auld man, who is a total fatalist when it comes to Hearts, even stood on his own for about twenty minutes after the final whistle because he couldn't believe what he had just seen and he was so sure we were going all the way. That's how good it was 😄

Understandable reaction from your Dad given how strong that Dundee Utd team was. 
The result that day was indeed monumental.

Being part of that vast Hearts away support - and not just on that day - was a fantastic experience too. 

I distinctly remember feeling a slight foreboding later when I discovered Celtic had won at Pittodrie - that was a rare occurrence back then. 

No Idle Talk
14 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

we were in Roseburn bar after Dens park game  best party I ever saw after a game WTF would it have been like if we had won ?

There was a party? Mental!

I can't remember where we went when we got back to Edinburgh, probably the Mercy Hertz. That was our usual. All I can remember is getting on the bus after the match and everybody crying. Myself included. Was a bit of a traumatic experience thinking back on it. There certainly wasn't any party after it. Well.........there was one. I heard a story that Hibs fans had booked out a hotel in Gorgie in case we lost that day. And my dad knew a woman who worked on the bar that night and she said they had the best night ever celebrating the fact that we lost the league. Probably the highlight of their sad little lives.

N Lincs Jambo
10 minutes ago, martoon said:

Tannadice was a dream day. 

In turn, though, it probably made Dens even worse for the naive 18 year old me. I genuinely thought the title was won and the clinching a formality after that 0-3 win. It wasn't arrogance, as many a Hibby now tries to claim, it was a mixture of euphoria and, as stated, naivety.

A hard lesson well learned but, as others have suggested, it was a fantastic season. The Hibby will never know, nor understand, what it felt like, which has always made their Albert Kidd sneering irrelevant to me.

It was Roy of the Rovers stuff, really.

Well, until the last 97 minutes.

Spot on regarding what the Hibby will never know nor understand. The last time they actually went into the final 3-4 games of the season with a genuine chance of winning the league was 64-65. Guess what? They H1b5ed it! 

Cameronstheman

Remember taking a day off work to que up for SCF tickets, my word it took just about all day to get them ,there was that many waiting. We had twice the Aberdeen support that day as well

No Idle Talk
8 minutes ago, Cameronstheman said:

Remember taking a day off work to que up for SCF tickets, my word it took just about all day to get them ,there was that many waiting. We had twice the Aberdeen support that day as well

Not sure we had twice their support but I think there were around 40,000 Jambos at Hampden that day. Incredible support.

Mad Bad and Dangerous
1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

Agree with your post 100% pal. I'm 57 and was 20 that year, me and my mates went to every game home and away and the atmosphere at every game after we started the 27 game run was amazing. 

Dens Park was pish but hey ho at least we got very close to winning the title which is more than I can say for the wee team and it looks like they will be fighting a relegation play off this season (hopefully 😉)

Happy memories for sure.  

Jamhammer
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Very much this

Fantastic time to be a Jambo despite the last week

Anyone who went through it and was at Parkhead in 98 and didn’t greet is either a liar or has no soul

No Idle Talk
15 minutes ago, Cameronstheman said:

Actually just had a look on London Hearts and the attendance at the cup final was 58,000. So you could well be right in what you've said there. Didn't feel like that on the day but maybe it was that lopsided.

SwindonJambo
9 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Actually just had a look on London Hearts and the attendance at the cup final was 58,000. So you could well be right in what you've said there. Didn't feel like that on the day but maybe it was that lopsided.

I remember it being a wee bit more than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Scottish_Cup_final

I was there. We must indeed be have outnumbered the sheep by about 2 to 1. The big moment everyone remembers is Robbo's lob over Leighton that went just over at 0-1 with everyone ready to go mental.

Edited by SwindonJambo
Spelling!

No Idle Talk
3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I remember it being a wee bit more than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Scottish_Cup_final

I was there. We must indeed be have outnumbered the sheep by about 2 to 1. The big moment everyone remembers is Robbie's lob over Leighton that went just over at 0-1 with everyone ready to go mental.

Funny how everyone remembers different things. I don't remember the Robbo chance at all. The only two things I remember are Billy Stark's header and Neil Berry hitting the bar. I was young but the whole day was a bit of a daze. It was the first cup final I had ever been at, so it should have been a big deal, but it just wasn't. I was probably still in shock from the week before.

Edited by No Idle Talk

heartsfan

My favourite season and great memories even thoough I was only 7 at the time. Plus it's the only season I never missed a single game home or away.

Robbo's goal at Tannadice is still one of the best goals I have seen us score. My Dad was convinced after that game that we had won the league.

Another unique aspect to that season is .... it's the only time I had stood in the old Gorgie end ..... at the Clydebank game where Mackay scored another great goal.

30 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Spot on regarding what the Hibby will never know nor understand. The last time they actually went into the final 3-4 games of the season with a genuine chance of winning the league was 64-65. Guess what? They H1b5ed it! 

This is true.

They even, feebly, try to ridicule us for '65 whilst simultaneously claiming they would have won the double if Stein hadn't left them for Celtic.

They blew the league, and a Cup semi, 4 weeks before we did.

Hibs loons.

Disclaimer: Before my time, btw. I was b.1968. 😊

38 minutes ago, martoon said:

This is true.

They even, feebly, try to ridicule us for '65 whilst simultaneously claiming they would have won the double if Stein hadn't left them for Celtic.

They blew the league, and a Cup semi, 4 weeks before we did.

Hibs loons.

Disclaimer: Before my time, btw. I was b.1968. 😊

Actually Dunfermline were closest to a double that year (lost the Cup Final to Celtic 3-2)  as if they hadn't lost a make up game in a midweek late in the season, their last day win would have had them ahead of Killie (who would thus have beaten us in vain) instead of a point behind Killie/Hearts in 3rd.

It might have been better for us to know we had to beat Killie to win the league. Hey, its all old ground now 😃

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, Салатные палочки said:

I was only 3 in 1986 and it would be a few years before I went to a game. So, fortunately for me, the Albert Kidd songs and references over the years have meant very little to me. Pretty sure a lot of our younger fans aren't even aware of what happened that day which means soon, the Hobos chants and references will be defunct. Hopefully like their club. 

I turned 16 in 1986 and the chants from hibs etc have never meant anything to me. Hearts were magnificent that season and they were absolutely shite. 

Not much has changed really. 

John Findlay

I had only just become a Father for the first time. My only daughter had been born the 5th of April 1986. The day we beat Dundee United in the Scottish Cup Semi final at Hampden.

I lived in Fareham, Hampshire at the time and had only just turned 23 myself, my birthday being the 17th of April.

I had decided to give the family car, a Talbot Horizon 5D hatchback. I can even remember the licence plate LOV 963X.

I had the radio on in my garage at the time, having to listen to Radio 2 who did the Saturday afternoon sport back then. There was no Radio 5 Live.

To be fair to them they did do about 3 updates from Roddy Forsyth during the first half at Dens Park, and he was incredulous that we hadn't been awarded a penalty when Sandy Clark was blatantly fouled in the box. 

At his half-time Roddy was convinced we would be champions.

I finished cleaning the car with 20 minutes to go, was back inside with Grandstand on the box. My then wife was busy preparing the tea, and my daughter started crying as she needed a nappy change. So I changed her nappy, but this didn't stop her crying, so I was doing the old pacing up and down the living room with her in my arms, trying to pacify her, but to no avail.

Then Des gives it there's been a goal at Dens Park, Roddy reports from Dens that Dundee had scored and were 1 up. With the situation at Love Street Celtic would be champions.

Of course a few minutes later Des says there's been another goal at Dens Park, here is me hoping it's the equaliser, as we would be champs if so. No Dundee had got a second. My daughter was still crying and I just sat on the settee with her and joined her in the crying. My wife came through from the kitchen, looked at our daughter, saw her crying, looked at me and saw me crying, and uttered the words only she could.

"What are you crying for? It's only a game."

She never did understand.

No Idle Talk
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I had only just become a Father for the first time. My only daughter had been born the 5th of April 1986. The day we beat Dundee United in the Scottish Cup Semi final at Hampden.

I lived in Fareham, Hampshire at the time and had only just turned 23 myself, my birthday being the 17th of April.

I had decided to give the family car, a Talbot Horizon 5D hatchback. I can even remember the licence plate LOV 963X.

I had the radio on in my garage at the time, having to listen to Radio 2 who did the Saturday afternoon sport back then. There was no Radio 5 Live.

To be fair to them they did do about 3 updates from Roddy Forsyth during the first half at Dens Park, and he was incredulous that we hadn't been awarded a penalty when Sandy Clark was blatantly fouled in the box. 

At his half-time Roddy was convinced we would be champions.

I finished cleaning the car with 20 minutes to go, was back inside with Grandstand on the box. My then wife was busy preparing the tea, and my daughter started crying as she needed a nappy change. So I changed her nappy, but this didn't stop her crying, so I was doing the old pacing up and down the living room with her in my arms, trying to pacify her, but to no avail.

Then Des gives it there's been a goal at Dens Park, Roddy reports from Dens that Dundee had scored and were 1 up. With the situation at Love Street Celtic would be champions.

Of course a few minutes later Des says there's been another goal at Dens Park, here is me hoping it's the equaliser, as we would be champs if so. No Dundee had got a second. My daughter was still crying and I just sat on the settee with her and joined her in the crying. My wife came through from the kitchen, looked at our daughter, saw her crying, looked at me and saw me crying, and uttered the words only she could.

"What are you crying for? It's only a game."

She never did understand.

Your memory is amazing pal.

"It's only a game". My auld man's wife was a bit like that. She is a soft Hearts fan but doesn't go to the football. Oftentimes me and my dad would come home from a miserable away day in Paisley, or Hamilton, or somewhere, and she would be like "it's only a game". Not that day though. Even she knew better.

The semi-final was a good day though. That was my first time at Hampden. I was right behind the goals at the Hearts end and remember thinking the pitch was bloody miles away! Great goal by John Colquhoun though. Second half was a bit nerve wracking but we got the job done. It was really exciting going home and thinking you were going to a cup final. I remember that.

hereford_hearts

I was a skint, 19 year old apprentice, living in Kent that year. I only made 1 game that season. The NYD game at Tynie. 

There was no coverage of Scottish football on the TV down there, so I relied on news papers. My dad used to send me the pink every weekend. Also my local newsagent was a good bloke, and let me rifle through all of the Sundays to look for Hearts reports. The Sunday Times was the best btw. 

I watched the final day pan out on teletext, then grandstand. I shed a tear or two when the final result came through on the teleprinter. 

To add insult to injury, BBC news decided to show the celtic and Dundee goals in the sport section. First time they'd even mentioned Scottish football all season. 

gordon simpson
2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

There was a party? Mental!

I can't remember where we went when we got back to Edinburgh, probably the Mercy Hertz. That was our usual. All I can remember is getting on the bus after the match and everybody crying. Myself included. Was a bit of a traumatic experience thinking back on it. There certainly wasn't any party after it. Well.........there was one. I heard a story that Hibs fans had booked out a hotel in Gorgie in case we lost that day. And my dad knew a woman who worked on the bar that night and she said they had the best night ever celebrating the fact that we lost the league. Probably the highlight of their sad little lives.

the party started more like a wake but a few drinks in someone started singing Hearts song ffs the place went mental 

GorgieFifeLife

I was a young Jambo at this time and my grandad was a big Dundee supporter.  I was very upset when we didn’t win it but not as upset as my grandad who was visibly upset that Hearts had not won as he wanted me to see Hearts win the league.  Still cuts me up a bit at times when I think about him.

1 hour ago, JTJ said:

Actually Dunfermline were closest to a double that year (lost the Cup Final to Celtic 3-2)  as if they hadn't lost a make up game in a midweek late in the season, their last day win would have had them ahead of Killie (who would thus have beaten us in vain) instead of a point behind Killie/Hearts in 3rd.

It might have been better for us to know we had to beat Killie to win the league. Hey, its all old ground now 😃

You're right, bud.

A four way title chase with a few games left and not an arse cheek in sight.

Carl Fredrickson

The few hobos that I interact with dont understand why I dont react to their attempts to wind me up about that season. 

I was 15 and had been going to Tynie with an older brother for quite a few years. More downs than ups. My brother moved south and my parents allowed me to travel from Gorebridge to Tynie and to away game on my own. 

The first game of the season I arrived at Tynie before the players (didnt want to be late travelling by public transport for the first time). Chatted to Tommy Burns for about 10 minutes and since then have already held him in high regard. The game finished 1-1 and I missed having the chat home in the car with my brother but I was satisfied with a draw. A few weeks later at Kilbowie, Hearts were boooed big time as we lost 1-0 with Alex McDonald bringing himself on as a sub for what I think was his last playing appearance. 

I think part of the reason we did well as a number of teams had players called up for international duty and had games cancelled. This allowed us to get points on board playing once a week. 

I could write and talk for hours about that season - BBC showing American basketball due to the strike, an away Scottish cup game at Douglas Park where there were far, far too many Hearts fans squeezed in, my first trip to Pittodrie in a supporters bus (Forfar will always hold a special place in my memory)...... 

Dundee did what they had to do as IIRC the top 5 of the 10 team league got into Europe the following season and they had to better the Rangers result. 

We ran out of steam with a very small squad and St Mirren (who had horsed us 6-2? at Love Street earlier in the season) didnt put up much of a fight. Again my mind may be playing tricks on me but their regular keeper was away at a wedding (on a Saturday during the football season) and an old keeper coach was playing due to their reserve keeper being ill. Think the keeper that day was Jim Stewart. 

Hampden was a bit of a let down but understandable and that was a Fergie Aberdeen team that knew all the tricks to win games. 

Apologies for going on so long but it was one of the happiest seasons of my life as it restored faith that we could compete again.

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Go for it 1308
23 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I was a young Jambo at this time and my grandad was a big Dundee supporter.  I was very upset when we didn’t win it but not as upset as my grandad who was visibly upset that Hearts had not won as he wanted me to see Hearts win the league.  Still cuts me up a bit at times when I think about him.

What a great man your grandad was mate

Great memories!

Often think back and wonder if the point we rescued at Tynecastle with a late penalty against Aberdeen about 3 games from the end of the season back fired on us.

Going to Dens needing a win rather than a draw could have made things very different.

All ifs and buts but that's part of the beauty of the game.

N Lincs Jambo
41 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The few hobos that I interact with dont understand why I dont react to their attempts to wind me up about that season. 

I was 15 and had been going to Tynie with an older brother for quite a few years. More downs than ups. My brother moved south and my parents allowed me to travel from Gorebridge to Tynie and to away game on my own. 

The first game of the season I arrived at Tynie before the players (didnt want to be late travelling by public transport for the first time). Chatted to Tommy Burns for about 10 minutes and since then have already held him in high regard. The game finished 1-1 and I missed having the chat home in the car with my brother but I was satisfied with a draw. A few weeks later at Kilbowie, Hearts were boooed big time as we lost 1-0 with Alex McDonald bringing himself on as a sub for what I think was his last playing appearance. 

I think part of the reason we did well as a number of teams had players called up for international duty and had games cancelled. This allowed us to get points on board playing once a week. 

I could write and talk for hours about that season - BBC showing American basketball due to the strike, an away Scottish cup game at Douglas Park where there were far, far too many Hearts fans squeezed in, my first trip to Pittodrie in a supporters bus (Forfar will always hold a special place in my memory)...... 

Dundee did what they had to do as IIRC the top 5 of the 10 team league got into Europe the following season and they had to better the Rangers result. 

We ran out of steam with a very small squad and St Mirren (who had horsed us 6-2? at Love Street earlier in the season) didnt put up much of a fight. Again my mind may be playing tricks on me but their regular keeper was away at a wedding (on a Saturday during the football season) and an old keeper coach was playing due to their reserve keeper being ill. Think the keeper that day was Jim Stewart. 

Hampden was a bit of a let down but understandable and that was a Fergie Aberdeen team that knew all the tricks to win games. 

Apologies for going on so long but it was one of the happiest seasons of my life as it restored faith that we could compete again.

Good post. I heard a different story about the St Mirren keeper that day, ie he knew enough St Mirren players were happy to chuck the game and he wanted nothing to do with it. Campbell Money iirc. No idea what the true story is but that’s the one I heard at the time.

Edited by N Lincs Jambo

south morocco
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Always remember Celtic got a very late equaliser in the first game that season. 

The last home game against Clydebank was a big missed opportunity that's forgotten about I think.  We only won 1-0 in a nervy game tbf,  if we'd won 3 or 4 then we'd have been out of sight virtually.