SFA Scotland Supporters Club

AyrJambo

Applied for Euro 24 tickets via UEFA but didn't have any points with SFA/Tartan Army stuff so not got any

Thinking ahead for FIFA World Cup 2026 and thought I'd register and start buying tickets/going to games to get some points so I can get tickets if we qualify

Quite fancy a few weeks roaming around the American continent in a campervan

But the site says no

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/supporters-tickets/scotland-supporters-club-membership/

Anyone know if these memberships are likely to become available?

Bob Loblaw
2 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Applied for Euro 24 tickets via UEFA but didn't have any points with SFA/Tartan Army stuff so not got any

Thinking ahead for FIFA World Cup 2026 and thought I'd register and start buying tickets/going to games to get some points so I can get tickets if we qualify

Quite fancy a few weeks roaming around the American continent in a campervan

But the site says no

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/supporters-tickets/scotland-supporters-club-membership/

Anyone know if these memberships are likely to become available?

Memberships run in 2 year cycles and the last one took us up to the end of the Euro qualifying. A new window should open soon, just keep an eye out.

Chuck Berry

The SSC membership cycle renews in December 2024.  The SSC is at capacity as it stands, but I'd guess a limited amount won't renew and these will be offered up in January 2025.  You wont get membership until then I'm afraid.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Bob Loblaw
1 minute ago, Chuck Berry said:

The SSC membership cycle renews in December 2024.  The SSC is at capacity as it stands, but I'd guess a limited amount won't renew and these will be offered up.

Is it as late as December? I thought it took us up to the WC qualifiers. Usually goes in tandem with a new campaign.

ETA, which of course it will as WCQ isn't til 2025 😄

Edited by Bob Loblaw

Chuck Berry
Just now, Bob Loblaw said:

Is it as late as December? I thought it took us up to the WC qualifiers. Usually goes in tandem with a new campaign.

It's bi-annual.  The last renewal was December 2022.

Kherrist!

Bit of a wait then

Any other way to get points?

Or anyone who has points and won't be using them for 2026 and could apply on my behalf (for suitable liquid compensation!)

Yeah think its capped at 35,000 ish maybe more now, not often it gets capped which shows how well they are doing.

Always spare tickets flying about the facebooks pages before games and there will be a general sale foe tickets on the 7th March for the 5 games. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Kherrist!

Bit of a wait then

Or anyone who has points and won't be using them for 2026 and could apply on my behalf (for suitable liquid compensation!)

Public sale, not sure if you accumulate points 

2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Public sale, not sure if you accumulate points 

no you don't unless you are a member

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Hannibal said:

no you don't unless you are a member

Wasn't sure I have a membership so didn't really know 

frankblack

I used to have an SSC membership when it was Saturdays and Midweek fixtures.  Now its Sunday and Monday evenings we just couldn't be arsed with it as you waste annual leave.

Chuck Berry
3 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Kherrist!

Bit of a wait then

You get 1 point for a home game, 2 points for an away game.  Only SSC members earn points.

So if you're looking to accumulate points you'll need to wait until next year, when membership re-opens although as others have said it's capped, but there's always members who don't renew.

For the Euros, 12+ points gave you the chance to bag a ticket, points top out at 32.  So you'd probably need to go to every Scotland game in 2025 (home and away) to stand a slim chance.

However it's much harder to qualify for a WC - only 16 UEFA teams qualify - as it is for the Euros - 24 teams. 

JimmyCant

The best way to get tickets for tournament football is be lucky enough to have contacts in the host country

A group of 6 of us have 18 tickets (9 pairs) for the Euros in Germany thanks to a German pal who’s on the fan committee at Monchengladbach, including 2 for each Scotland game and 2 for one of the semi finals. Had to jump through a few hoops and make changes and tell some white lies with passports and addresses to get them right enough. So we’re just stoating about over there in a auld minibus and whoever gets lucky sees a game and rest of us go to the fan park 

We were all at the last World Cup there and even if you can’t get tickets, it’s worth going for the fan parks alone. Best avoid England games but it’s the easiest place to travel around and a must do experience if you like your football

Portugal vs Mexico in Gelsenkirchen (Schalke 04) was a fabulous day out I’ll never forget. I think I’m still an honorary Mexican citizen 🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🌮

Edited by JimmyCant

Decided to retire from international home games. It’s a pain in the arse finishing work (or waiting on folk finishing work) to leave Prestonpans at 16:00 and only just make a 19:45ko. The associations should be in charge of their home games and Scotland should be pushing for Saturday 3pm. In international terms however, we’re a Livingston or St Johnstone, just happy that UEFA are giving us money and letting them walk all over us. 

Chuck Berry
33 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Decided to retire from international home games. It’s a pain in the arse finishing work (or waiting on folk finishing work) to leave Prestonpans at 16:00 and only just make a 19:45ko. The associations should be in charge of their home games and Scotland should be pushing for Saturday 3pm. In international terms however, we’re a Livingston or St Johnstone, just happy that UEFA are giving us money and letting them walk all over us. 

International football always used to be played midweek apart from the England game.  Weekend football (and cancellation of club fixtures), started to become a regular thing in the 2000's and we had a run in the later 2000's where a lot of our home games were Saturdays which the SFA managed to negotiate.

Now the international window is 6 days long (week of football), Thursday to Tuesday, and games are played Thur & Sun, Fri & Mon, Sat & Tue and it's a fixture computer that decides the fixtures/dates which is released within 24 hours of the draw as opposed to the old system of FA's getting round a table and bargaining on who will play who and when, which sometimes took months to resolve.

It also generates much more money for the game from TV as there's 6 days in which Internationals are played as opposed to them all being played on one or two days.

It's nothing to do with UEFA "walking all over us", every nation is subject to the same randomness of when games are played.

22 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

International football always used to be played midweek apart from the England game.  Weekend football (and cancellation of club fixtures), started to become a regular thing in the 2000's and we had a run in the later 2000's where a lot of our home games were Saturdays which the SFA managed to negotiate.

Now the international window is 6 days long (week of football), Thursday to Tuesday, and games are played Thur & Sun, Fri & Mon, Sat & Tue and it's a fixture computer that decides the fixtures/dates which is released within 24 hours of the draw as opposed to the old system of FA's getting round a table and bargaining on who will play who and when, which sometimes took months to resolve.

It also generates much more money for the game from TV as there's 6 days in which Internationals are played as opposed to them all being played on one or two days.

It's nothing to do with UEFA "walking all over us", every nation is subject to the same randomness of when games are played.

So it is about taking the money in the deal that UEFA are in control of so I’d say they do walk over us and everyone else. All the associations should be in charge of their home games to give themselves the best possible chance of success. Fitba is f£ck£d, the club game (again through TV and cash chasing by UEFA) isn’t any better really but I’m not giving up on Hearts any time soon. 

33 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Scotland were playing internationals on the weekend in the mid 90s. 

Chuck Berry
4 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

So it is about taking the money in the deal that UEFA are in control of so I’d say they do walk over us and everyone else. All the associations should be in charge of their home games to give themselves the best possible chance of success. Fitba is f£ck£d, the club game (again through TV and cash chasing by UEFA) isn’t any better really but I’m not giving up on Hearts any time soon. 

No it's about all the UEFA members agreeing to the "week of football" in order to maximise TV revenue collectively, which is then distributed to the members FA's, which then helps fund our game.  The UEFA TV deal is pooled and FA's get a percentage.  eg.  Gibraltar FA get around £3/4m a year from UEFA in TV money, there is absolutely zero chance Gibraltar can generate that sort of TV deal on their own.

No different to Hearts playing on a Sunday at 5.00pm due to TV and the money it brings to our game, which is badly needed.  We might not like it, but it's what the clubs agree to.

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

No it's about all the UEFA members agreeing to the "week of football" in order to maximise TV revenue collectively, which is then distributed to the members FA's, which then helps fund our game.  The UEFA TV deal is pooled and FA's get a percentage.  eg.  Gibraltar FA get around £3/4m a year from UEFA in TV money, there is absolutely zero chance Gibraltar can generate that sort of TV deal on their own.

No different to Hearts playing on a Sunday at 5.00pm due to TV and the money it brings to our game, which is badly needed.  We might not like it, but it's what the clubs agree to.

Is that not basically what I said? £££

👍

3 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

And there was never more interest. 

Chuck Berry
2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Yes, occasionally there were qualifiers from around 1996/97 onwards.

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

Is that not basically what I said? £££

👍

Not really, I explained why UEFA "chased the money", they chased it for the benefit of the game as illustrated by the Gibraltar example.

Chuck Berry
14 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

And there was never more interest. 

Attendances at Scotland home games in the 1990's was very poor compared to now, between 1990-2002 the average home attendance at a Scotland qualifier was 30,000 (affected slightly by a  handful of games being played at Tynecastle, Rugby Park etc).

The 2008 Euro qualifiers (France, Italy, Ukraine, Georgia, Lithiania), the home games were all played on a Saturday and all sold out, over 50k at every game, best since Italy 90 qualifiers. I think that was the only time it ever happened and a very good piece of negotiating by the SFA in the days when you negotiated fixtures face-to-face.   

For comparison, the four Euro24 home qualifers also all sold out, and were played on Saturday/Tuesday/Tuesday/Sunday.

Edited by Chuck Berry

1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

I was at Hampden for a World Cup Qualifier against Cyprus in 1969 at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon

Chuck Berry
20 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

I was at Hampden for a World Cup Qualifier against Cyprus in 1969 at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon

A rarity in those days, probably because it was played after the season had ended.

mud and mullets

I assume the Scotland Supporters Club is the new version of the Scotland Travel Club? I emailed them the other day and they said end 2024 would be when memberships open again.

I used to be a Scotland Travel Club member in the 90s and got tickets for the 92 and 96 Euros through them. I still have my "Best Supporters" of the tournament badge from 92 (wasn't hard as there was still a fair bit of hooliganism, the Dutch and English especially). What a tournament that was. Scotland played brilliantly in a really tough group. Big Davie MacPherson missed an absolute sitter to take the lead against Germany, who then scored two straight after. What could have been!

My mate and I were probably about 20 and drove over to Sweden in my crappy old Ford Fiesta. We were amongst the first fans to arrive in Norrkoping after driving from Gothenburg after the first game. We turned down this one-way street lined with locals all waving at us. We had a flag draped out of the window and thought it was some sort of welcoming committee for Scotland supporters so waved back. Then we turned a corner and saw a parade coming towards us. It turns out they'd been waving at us to back up and we had to sheepishly reverse down the road past them again. It was so expensive that we'd already just about run out of money by that stage and planned to sleep in the car. We went to a bar - the first Scots there - and the barman ending up letting us stay in his and his girlfriend's flat, then his family put us up for the rest of the time in their granny flat/nuclear fallout shelter thing (apparently a lot of Swedish homes have them). Tournaments are brilliant fun and it's great a new generation is finally getting to experience them after probably getting sick of their dads' war stories.

For some reason I turned down the chance to go to France 98 assuming I'd have lots more chances to go to another WC later as we nearly always qualified. Little did I know! Never could have imagined that ending up living in Canada would give me my best chance of seeing some WC games.

My mate and I are in this pic from Sweden '92. 

Ep2wfzoXIAMCGAL.jpg-large.jpeg

Jambo-Fox
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Screenshot_20240210-143950.png

I was at that game and it put me off international football for life! I totally lost a connection with the Scottish international team.

Why? Simply the pure bigotry of a significant part of the crowd. When Scotland got a penalty the designated taker (Tommy Gemmell) went to take it, the boos, the whistles, the chanting for Colin Stein were horrendous. Even when the penalty was scored Tommy Gemmell was booed!

I know some who follow Scotland and I believe the ‘Tartan Army’ is totally transformed since these dark days so I wish them all well on their travels!

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I was at that game and it put me off international football for life! I totally lost a connection with the Scottish international team.

Why? Simply the pure bigotry of a significant part of the crowd. When Scotland got a penalty the designated taker (Tommy Gemmell) went to take it, the boos, the whistles, the chanting for Colin Stein were horrendous. Even when the penalty was scored Tommy Gemmell was booed!

I know some who follow Scotland and I believe the ‘Tartan Army’ is totally transformed since these dark days so I wish them all well on their travels!

Some idiots booing, put you off international football for LIFE? That's a bit precious. 

mud and mullets
26 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That game was before my time but one of the best parts of the travelling Tartan Army in the 80s and 90s was that club rivalries were put aside (unlike the English fans at the time who often fought amongst themselves). Old Firm fans seemed to not bother with the national team in any case, at least away games, which helped. I don't remember meeting many during tournaments. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

Some idiots booing, put you off international football for LIFE? That's a bit precious. 

Were you one of those booing?

Thunder and Lightning
12 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Retire? Ffs get a grip man. You decided not to go. 

What a ****ing ridiculous way to put it. 😂 

Edited by Thunder and Lightning

6 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Tbf, he can ‘put it’ any way he chooses.

It’s not up to you to dictate how @Shaggy2 opts to word his decision.

Sorry, I realise that you have taken it upon yourself to run the forum but, quite frankly, you’re crap at it.

1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

A bit precious?

Like a Hun posting on a Hearts forum?

21 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

😂 it’s a figure of speech, mate, regularly used when referring to someone giving up international football. What a ****ing ridiculous thing to get worked up about. Get over yourself 

Edited by Shaggy2

jager man
On 09/02/2024 at 15:28, AyrJambo said:

Kherrist!

Bit of a wait then

A Glengarry gets you points. Also extra points if your a t*t. 

By The Light..

My advice to anyone is go to Germany if you get a chance, or make a chance and just go.

I went to Ninian Park Cardiff and was behind the goals when Davie Cooper scored the penalty to make it 1-1 and Scotland qualified for Mexico 86. Didn't know JS had died until the next day.

I got a letter from Ernie Walker to prove I was a Scotland fan (no-one asked for this and I still have it somewhere) and I flew to Houston then to Mexico City both on one way tickets and watched Scotland 0 - Denmark 1 then Scotland 1 - West Germany 2 (Strachan) then Brazil 3 - Nth Ireland 0 and finally Scotland 0 - Uruguay 0 all for buttons a ticket.

Had Scotland scored 1 more goal in any of those games we'd have gotten out the group.

I watched the hand of god game in hotel in Acapulco and the WC final Argentina 3 West Germany 2 in a pub in New Orleans. Trip of a lifetime, still get flash backs. Spent a whole month in Mexico then another 2 in the states bumming around.

Jambo-Fox
4 hours ago, Sir PH said:

The majority were old firm bigots … didn’t want to associate with them …

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Were you one of those booing?

Was probably funny in your head? 

Good to see you keeping it original, though. 😴 💤 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The majority were old firm bigots … didn’t want to associate with them …

Surprised you survived supporting Hearts in the 70s and 80s. 

4 hours ago, By The Light.. said:

My advice to anyone is go to Germany if you get a chance, or make a chance and just go.

I went to Ninian Park Cardiff and was behind the goals when Davie Cooper scored the penalty to make it 1-1 and Scotland qualified for Mexico 86. Didn't know JS had died until the next day.

I got a letter from Ernie Walker to prove I was a Scotland fan (no-one asked for this and I still have it somewhere) and I flew to Houston then to Mexico City both on one way tickets and watched Scotland 0 - Denmark 1 then Scotland 1 - West Germany 2 (Strachan) then Brazil 3 - Nth Ireland 0 and finally Scotland 0 - Uruguay 0 all for buttons a ticket.

Had Scotland scored 1 more goal in any of those games we'd have gotten out the group.

I watched the hand of god game in hotel in Acapulco and the WC final Argentina 3 West Germany 2 in a pub in New Orleans. Trip of a lifetime, still get flash backs. Spent a whole month in Mexico then another 2 in the states bumming around.

Cooper's penalty got us to a play-off. We still had to get past Australia in order to qualify. 

Thunder and Lightning
11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Tbf, he can ‘put it’ any way he chooses.

It’s not up to you to dictate how @Shaggy2 opts to word his decision.

Sorry, I realise that you have taken it upon yourself to run the forum but, quite frankly, you’re crap at it.

I didn't say he couldn't put it that way. 

With over 60,000 posts I'd have thought you put more effort into reading some of the posts on here. 

Still, maybe you don't have time in between posting total shite. 😂 

Chuck Berry
14 hours ago, gotgotneedgot said:

That game was before my time but one of the best parts of the travelling Tartan Army in the 80s and 90s was that club rivalries were put aside (unlike the English fans at the time who often fought amongst themselves). Old Firm fans seemed to not bother with the national team in any case, at least away games, which helped. I don't remember meeting many during tournaments. 

There's always a lot of fans of the OF in the TA, just that club fitba chat isn't usually high on the agenda when watching Scotland so it's not very obvious. 

15 hours ago, gotgotneedgot said:

Strange, considering Rangers fans have the largest club representation amongst the Scotland support. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/who-makes-up-tartan-army-28095875.amp

• 1 month later...
jamboinaustria

Hi there, I've got 1 ticket for the Switzerland game I don't need. I tried to resell it on uefa website, but they can't handle capacity or idk why. Contacted SFA to ask what I should do.