Don't want to jinx it, but....

Victor Meldrew

Victor Meldrew

I appreciate there's a fair way to go and we might be overtaken like we were last year BUT am I right in thinking that if we qualify for Europe again this season, it will be the first time we've been in Europe in three successive seasons?

Fxxx the SPFL

We will definitely be in Europe again should be 3rd and hope that us or the arse cheeks win Cup. As far as I know yes it will be the first time 

Its absolutely crucial that we treat the Scottish Cup as an extension of the league. 

We absolutely need to make sure we're knocking out any genuine competition for winning the cup outside of ourselves and the old firm. That means if we draw Aberdeen, Hibs, Killie, we need to be treating that like its a cup final in and of itself. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Its absolutely crucial that we treat the Scottish Cup as an extension of the league. 

We absolutely need to make sure we're knocking out any genuine competition for winning the cup outside of ourselves and the old firm. That means if we draw Aberdeen, Hibs, Killie, we need to be treating that like its a cup final in and of itself. 

Let's get past Airdrie first. This will not be an easy tie. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I agree. Not 100% sure how it's working, but it looks like the cup winners have a more favourable draw in the Euro cups than 3rd place does. Cup win gets you to the final play-off round in the Europa, which will then guarantee group stage football in the conference. So a minimum of 12 European matches.

3rd place gets you in two qualifying rounds earlier and guarantees you feck all other than joining the Conference league qualifying at the same stage as our domestic 4th place team.

Cup is crucial IMO

11 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Oh absolutely, none of these teams can be underestimated, christ after Brora or Aberdeens mess with Darvel, it should be a warning sign that lower placed clubs carry a huge threat.

I was just focusing more on the risk of another team outside the top 3 managing to fluke a cup. 

Think its really daft that the cup win carrys such a good reward. It should really be swapped with 3rd so that both still get Europe, but the actual reward of group stage football is going to the club that has been most consistent. If a Livi or such managed to somehow win the cup, it would be an absolute killer for our coefficient. 

tartofmidlothian
29 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

I appreciate there's a fair way to go and we might be overtaken like we were last year BUT am I right in thinking that if we qualify for Europe again this season, it will be the first time we've been in Europe in three successive seasons?

It will be, yeah. Am I right in thinking fifth gets Europe this season? Seems like it's on. Though is it also true this is the final season of automatic group stage football for third?

16 minutes ago, Serge said:

I agree. Not 100% sure how it's working, but it looks like the cup winners have a more favourable draw in the Euro cups than 3rd place does. Cup win gets you to the final play-off round in the Europa, which will then guarantee group stage football in the conference. So a minimum of 12 European matches.

3rd place gets you in two qualifying rounds earlier and guarantees you feck all other than joining the Conference league qualifying at the same stage as our domestic 4th place team.

Cup is crucial IMO

Don't think it guarantees 12 games but happy to be corrected. More like 8 unless the groups are bigger than normal.

Victor Meldrew
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

Think its really daft that the cup win carrys such a good reward. It should really be swapped with 3rd so that both still get Europe, but the actual reward of group stage football is going to the club that has been most consistent.

Not sure I agree - I think it's been quite sad how in England teams seem to prize 4th place (and Champions League football) over winning the FA Cup. At least the way it is here, there's an additional incentive to win the Scottish Cup rather than finishing third.

Super_Hans
7 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Don't think it guarantees 12 games but happy to be corrected. More like 8 unless the groups are bigger than normal.

Europa League carries 8 group stage matches next season in this new Swiss format. 

Conference League also has the Swiss format but still looks scheduled to be 6 matches.

Jambo in Yorkshire
22 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

It will be, yeah. Am I right in thinking fifth gets Europe this season? Seems like it's on. Though is it also true this is the final season of automatic group stage football for third?

5th gets into Europe if any of the 4 teams above them win the cup. 

50 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Vert hard game as they are on a good run and knocked out St. Jonstone in last round 

Victorian

If we get the primary place we are guaranteed 10 matches.  A play-off in the Europa.  Then 8 group matches.  24 of the 36 teams im each competition progress onwards.  8 qualify for the last 16.  The next 16 play off to make up the last 16.  

Edited by Victorian

Victorian

It's not unrealistic that we play 14 matches.  

Finish in 9th to 24th in the table (probably Conference).  Win play off.  Play in last 16.

4 hours ago, Super_Hans said:

Europa League carries 8 group stage matches next season in this new Swiss format. 

Conference League also has the Swiss format but still looks scheduled to be 6 matches.

So only 8 games guaranteed then, 2 in Europa and 6 in Conference.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

If we get the primary place we are guaranteed 10 matches.  A play-off in the Europa.  Then 8 group matches.  24 of the 36 teams im each competition progress onwards.  8 qualify for the last 16.  The next 16 play off to make up the last 16.  

8 group matches?

Victorian
12 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

8 group matches?

Yes.  The format is 36 teams in 4 sections of 9.  You play the other 8 from your section.  4 home,  4 away.  All 36 teams are in one league table.  Top 8 progress to last 16.  9th to 24th play off to 8.  8+8=last 16.

Edited by Victorian

Gorgie_Rules

Could be looking at 20 European games in 3 seasons. Crazy stuff and a great selling point for the club.

Victorian
Just now, Gorgie_Rules said:

Could be looking at 20 European games in 3 seasons. Crazy stuff and a great selling point for the club.

Well,  8 in 22/23 then 4 in 23/24 and then minumum 10.  22.  Possibly more.

Wee Mikey
5 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Thankfully, Hearts are finding a way past teams who do this:-

Screenshot_20240208_133059_Google.jpg

OmiyaHearts

I still have the concern about how Europe tends to knacker the start of the domestic season. We can't afford a squad big enough to handle that amount of games. 

Plus the travelling means less preparation for league games, which leads to injuries. I have mixed feelings about euro matches, even though I love watching them.

gordon simpson
6 hours ago, Sir PH said:

you are spot on they are our boggie team in the cup

Bindy Badgy
28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes.  The format is 36 teams in 4 sections of 9.  You play the other 8 from your section.  4 home,  4 away.  All 36 teams are in one league table.  Top 8 progress to last 16.  9th to 24th play off to 8.  8+8=last 16.

What moron came up with this?

Wee Mikey
12 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I still have the concern about how Europe tends to knacker the start of the domestic season. We can't afford a squad big enough to handle that amount of games. 

Plus the travelling means less preparation for league games, which leads to injuries. I have mixed feelings about euro matches, even though I love watching them.

I think that we've learned from our recent Euro 'adventures'.

I'm hoping for some cracking ties and have no fear. It'll be teams at or about our level.

We've got quite a few players well used to the travails of Euro and international matches ... and a manager, I think, who will know how to cope.

"Bring it on" say I.

Preferably somewhere sunny ... and easy to get to.

❤️❤️G❤️

Muppetboy

The new format although a bit bonkers, will bring a freshness which I'm sure will add to the excitement. Really can't wait to actually be in it. Genuinely believe its a cup win for the ugly sisters or ourselves. 

6 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Yep, first time in Europe for three successive seasons.  And if we finish 3rd, it will be our 3 best consecutive league positions since the 50's.

image.thumb.png.7e143513757354d8168a2e8a6aa2b760.png

karipidis
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

The Champions league and Europa League has this format. There are only 6 group games played in the europa conference. 

Schedule for 2024–25 UEFA Conference League
Phase Round Draw date First leg Second leg
Qualifying First qualifying round 18 June 2024 11 July 2024 18 July 2024
Second qualifying round 19 June 2024 25 July 2024 1 August 2024
Third qualifying round 22 July 2024 8 August 2024 15 August 2024
Play-offs Play-off round 5 August 2024 22 August 2024 29 August 2024
League stage Matchday 1 30 August 2024 3 October 2024
Matchday 2 24 October 2024
Matchday 3 7 November 2024
Matchday 4 28 November 2024
Matchday 5 12 December 2024
Matchday 6 19 December 2024
Knockout phase Knockout round play-offs 20 December 2024 13 February 2025 20 February 2025
Round of 16 TBD 6 March 2025 13 March 2025
Quarter-finals 10 April 2025 17 April 2025
Semi-finals 1 May 2025 8 May 2025
Final 28 May 2025 at Stadion Wrocław, Wrocław

Victorian
11 minutes ago, karipidis said:

The Champions league and Europa League has this format. There are only 6 group games played in the europa conference. 

Schedule for 2024–25 UEFA Conference League
Phase Round Draw date First leg Second leg
Qualifying First qualifying round 18 June 2024 11 July 2024 18 July 2024
Second qualifying round 19 June 2024 25 July 2024 1 August 2024
Third qualifying round 22 July 2024 8 August 2024 15 August 2024
Play-offs Play-off round 5 August 2024 22 August 2024 29 August 2024
League stage Matchday 1 30 August 2024 3 October 2024
Matchday 2 24 October 2024
Matchday 3 7 November 2024
Matchday 4 28 November 2024
Matchday 5 12 December 2024
Matchday 6 19 December 2024
Knockout phase Knockout round play-offs 20 December 2024 13 February 2025 20 February 2025
Round of 16 TBD 6 March 2025 13 March 2025
Quarter-finals 10 April 2025 17 April 2025
Semi-finals 1 May 2025 8 May 2025
Final 28 May 2025 at Stadion Wrocław, Wrocław

Bugger.  That's been changed I think.  I'm certain it was originally stated as being the same as the other competitions.  

At least it still follows the same format of 36 teams and 24 staying in.

gorgierulesapply88
7 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Winning the Cup, brings automatic European league qualification. 

3rd has kind of been demoted unless top 2 win the league.

spacerjoe
7 hours ago, OTT said:

Think its really daft that the cup win carrys such a good reward. It should really be swapped with 3rd so that both still get Europe, but the actual reward of group stage football is going to the club that has been most consistent. If a Livi or such managed to somehow win the cup, it would be an absolute killer for our coefficient. 

3rd in the league is much easier to achieve than winning the Scottish Cup.

18 hours ago, Victorian said:

👍 Didn't know that.

18 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

you are spot on they are our boggie team in the cup

Queens Park and Third Lanark have beat us a few times as well.

17 hours ago, Victorian said:

Bugger.  That's been changed I think.  I'm certain it was originally stated as being the same as the other competitions.  

At least it still follows the same format of 36 teams and 24 staying in.

Jings, so we're back to 8 guaranteed games?

17 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

3rd in the league is much easier to achieve than winning the Scottish Cup.

Disagree. Hearts won the cup by beating no Premier Division team then Rangers without Albertz (suspended) and Gascoigne (sold) in 1998, neither OF side in 2006 and St Johnstone/Celtic were the only top half teams we beat with a load of luck at Perth and even more (along with good tactics) at Hampden.
Hibs won it by beating a dreadful Hearts, Inverness, Dundee Utd and a first division side in the final.

3rd place over a 38 game season is infinitely more difficult in that you MUST face all the better sides to achieve it and should be rewarded as such. I reckon Scotland is the only country in the world that gives a shiny shite about their domestic cup.

Victorian
31 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

Jings, so we're back to 8 guaranteed games?

Seems so.  If it's Conference.  Looks like it's 6 league matches vs 6 opponents.  3 home and 3 away.  Still the same 36 team super-table with the above progression.  

Pretty sure the way it was reported before guaranteed matches all the way through to February.  The Conference groups now conclude in December.  We should still be ambitious enough to get into the play-offs.  

25 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Disagree. Hearts won the cup by beating no Premier Division team then Rangers without Albertz (suspended) and Gascoigne (sold) in 1998, neither OF side in 2006 and St Johnstone/Celtic were the only top half teams we beat with a load of luck at Perth and even more (along with good tactics) at Hampden.
Hibs won it by beating a dreadful Hearts, Inverness, Dundee Utd and a first division side in the final.

3rd place over a 38 game season is infinitely more difficult in that you MUST face all the better sides to achieve it and should be rewarded as such. I reckon Scotland is the only country in the world that gives a shiny shite about their domestic cup.

A quick check shows that the French and Spanish cup winners go straight into the Europa League group stages so I'm sure that's not true.

On 08/02/2024 at 08:18, Super_Hans said:

I don't think this is a genuine Swiss competition. I think in a true Swiss, there is a draw after each round of fixtures, with teams in the same points being drawn against each other. 

I'm pretty sure that's the way chess tournaments are / were fun, anyway, where you might have 50 entrants who only play 5 games over a weekend, with no sectionalising (is that a word?) within the "league". 

Obviously that would be on organisational nightmare in a football sense as you wouldn't know your opposition from one fortnight to the next. 

5 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I think a lot of people care about the Scottish Cup, and that’s because it’s a magnificent competition well worth cherishing. Unlike the league, it’s not completely dominated by two clubs - the list of winners this century alone makes interesting reading. And unlike its much-vaunted counterpart in England - which is now completely devalued and tainted by bigger clubs who are involved in promotion or relegation issues fielding effectively reserve teams because they’d rather focus on league position than try to win a trophy - it’s still a blue riband trophy. By which I mean there’s still huge prestige attached to winning it. And maybe the European reward is something to do with that.

I wouldn’t like to be in the situation of many continental countries where the national cup is a distraction, an afterthought. Or in the English situation, where you don’t necessarily know if the team you’re facing actually wants to progress. I’ve always been of the opinion that each successive game we play in the Cup becomes the most important of the season (all things being equal), and I haven’t changed my mind. The greatest days of my time supporting Hearts have been the Cup wins at Hampden.

You’re right - maybe in certain seasons it can be easier to win the Cup than finish third. But we tinker with its prestige at our peril.

Just now, cazzyy said:

A quick check shows that the French and Spanish cup winners go straight into the Europa League group stages so I'm sure that's not true.

They're countries with four Champions League places and probably a guaranteed place or two in Europa League? Only teams outside their top 5 or 6 will care about the cup. Our country relies on one of the top three being victorious and it may be less than that in the next year or two. 

Just now, leginten said:

I think a lot of people care about the Scottish Cup, and that’s because it’s a magnificent competition well worth cherishing. Unlike the league, it’s not completely dominated by two clubs - the list of winners this century alone makes interesting reading. And unlike its much-vaunted counterpart in England - which is now completely devalued and tainted by bigger clubs who are involved in promotion or relegation issues fielding effectively reserve teams because they’d rather focus on league position than try to win a trophy - it’s still a blue riband trophy. By which I mean there’s still huge prestige attached to winning it. And maybe the European reward is something to do with that.

I wouldn’t like to be in the situation of many continental countries where the national cup is a distraction, an afterthought. Or in the English situation, where you don’t necessarily know if the team you’re facing actually wants to progress. I’ve always been of the opinion that each successive game we play in the Cup becomes the most important of the season (all things being equal), and I haven’t changed my mind. The greatest days of my time supporting Hearts have been the Cup wins at Hampden.

You’re right - maybe in certain seasons it can be easier to win the Cup than finish third. But we tinker with its prestige at our peril.

I didn't mean to imply hat caring about the cup was a bad thing. Best day of my life was 16-05-98. I do think that 3rd place deserves to be rewarded more than winning the cup, though.

Victorian
Just now, Shaggy2 said:

I didn't mean to imply hat caring about the cup was a bad thing. Best day of my life was 16-05-98. I do think that 3rd place deserves to be rewarded more than winning the cup, though.

Giving the primary place to 3rd place would ensure it goes to one of the best teams.  Therefore a better prospect of doing well,  in principle.  You could end up with a complete minnow in the cup.  

PortyJambo
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Giving the primary place to 3rd place would ensure it goes to one of the best teams.  Therefore a better prospect of doing well,  in principle.  You could end up with a complete minnow in the cup.  

As we've had a few times in Scotland. Raith Rovers, ICT, QOS etc. Great experience for those teams and their fans, but not great for the progress of Scottish teams in Europe. Was even worse when runners-up in the Cup used to get a European spot if the winners had already qualified. Lucky draw to get to final, get beat but still end up playing in Europe. At least now, you have to win it to get into Europe, or finish in top 4/5 in the league.

I agree though that 3rd place should get you a better route in Europe, consistency over a season should be looked at more favourably than winning the Cup...great though that it is, as we all know.

Edited by PortyJambo

Victorian
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

As we've had a few times in Scotland. Raith Rovers, ICT, QOS etc. Great experience for those teams and their fans, but not great for the progress of Scottish teams in Europe. Was even worse when runners-up in the Cup used to get a European spot if the winners had already qualified. Lucky draw to get to final, get beat but still end up playing in Europe. At least now, you have to win it to get into Europe, or finish in top 4/5 in the league.

It's also changed the age old cup draw hopes of the old firm being paired.  If you're someone who really wants that group stage football,  you're actually better if they both stay in.  Then again,  it's all about that occasional cup win too.

I think the new format could potentially be good for teams like us, we only really need to make sure we’re in the top 2/3rds (if my maths are right) to progress out of the group.

Obviously luck of the draw plays a part but there’s more chance of finishing in the top 24 than there is of finishing top 2 in a group of 4 where as we’ve seen we likely end up with 2 teams that will blow us away for quality. We’re more competing indirectly with what would be the weaker 3rd seed & also the better 4th seed level teams for the places between about 20-24 rather than hoping for a weaker 2nd seed opponent to try & sneak above.

I’m cautiously optimistic about it. Say what you will but UEFA have got their recent competition changes bang on. They got panned when they introduced the conference league & nations league but both have really added something to continental football & not just for the top teams. Hopefully this continues the trend of exceeding expectations.

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

Fair enough although I disagree. Cup wins are massive compared to finishing 3rd. Yes, we'll get the odd anomaly where a wee team like St Johnstone or H1b5 wins the cup and gets a higher entry into Europe but I'll never forget any of the 3 Cup wins in my lifetime. Finishing 3rd doesn't come close.

1 minute ago, HoGwash said:

Fair enough although I disagree. Cup wins are massive compared to finishing 3rd. Yes, we'll get the odd anomaly where a wee team like St Johnstone or H1b5 wins the cup and gets a higher entry into Europe but I'll never forget any of the 3 Cup wins in my lifetime. Finishing 3rd doesn't come close.

I'm debating the reward not the celebrations. I'd take a cup win over 3rd place every day of every week of every month of every year. The European reward should be a place in the Conference League qualifiers though with third earning the Europa League spot.

If Hearts end up 3rd AND win the SC would that be good enough for Europa League group stages or would it still be a playoff??

spacerjoe
2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

What is our total Scottish Cup wins Vs total top 3 finishes?

What is the ratio of non Old Firm cup wins to Old Form cup wins Vs the ratio of Hearts top 3 finishes to outside top 3?

Ultimately, at the start of the season I would have placed higher odds on a non Old Firm team winning the cup than us finishing 3rd.

spacerjoe
19 minutes ago, rory78 said:

If Hearts end up 3rd AND win the SC would that be good enough for Europa League group stages or would it still be a playoff??

Still playoff