Ian Lavender dead. Don’t tell him Pike!

Tazio

The last of the main cast members of Dad’s Army gone now. A classic TV show that was many layered from the clowning of Cpl Jones to the pathos in many scenes. All carried out by a top notch cast. 

Edited by Tazio

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The last of the main cast members of Dad’s Army gone now. A classic TV show that was many layered from the clowning of Cpl Jones to the pathos in many scenes. All carried out by a top notch cast. 

It sure was. They really took care in getting the casting spot on back then, especially at the BBC. Imho they had far superior sitcoms to ITV and Dad's Army was one of them.

RIP Ian Lavender.

davemclaren
24 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Loved it and still watch it occasionally. 

Tommy Brown
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Loved it and still watch it occasionally. 

same here

53 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It sure was. They really took care in getting the casting spot on back then, especially at the BBC. Imho they had far superior sitcoms to ITV and Dad's Army was one of them.

RIP Ian Lavender.

Superior in every way. Total mis-match comparing the two channels. BBC had The Likely Lads, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Porridge. ITV with On The Buses and Duty feckin Free.

the posh bit

Dad's Army was class but it came a poor second to THE best sitcom of all time, the one and only George and Mildred (ITV). 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, JWL said:

Superior in every way. Total mis-match comparing the two channels. BBC had The Likely Lads, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Porridge. ITV with On The Buses and Duty feckin Free.

IMG_7145.png

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Im sure he was in Eastenders, boyfriend of Pauline Fowler(Wendy Richard),RIP Ian.

Serj Tankian

Met him outside the Kings Theayre a good few years ago . He was in the  Ghost Train play which was written by Arnold Ridley (old Godfrey ) . 

John Findlay
57 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Dad's Army was class but it came a poor second to THE best sitcom of all time, the one and only George and Mildred (ITV). 

:troll:

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, JWL said:

Yep, quite strange to think back on the era of classic TV sitcoms  in the 70s & 80s.  The only ITV one that I remember being watchable was Rising Damp - and even that came with a dose of guilt for laughing at the racist undertones.

The BBC ones you mentioned were classics - I'd add Citizen Smith, Butterflies, Open all Hours &  Reggie Perrin to that list.   .  Great times.

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep, quite strange to think back on the era of classic TV sitcoms  in the 70s & 80s.  The only ITV one that I remember being watchable was Rising Damp - and even that came with a dose of guilt for laughing at the racist undertones.

The BBC ones you mentioned were classics - I'd add Citizen Smith, Butterflies, Open all Hours &  Reggie Perrin to that list.   .  Great times.

Yeah, Rising Damp was actually quite funny and probably the best on ITV. Slightly racist at times I suppose, but considering they had Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour, it was almost politically correct!

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, JWL said:

Yeah, Rising Damp was actually quite funny and probably the best on ITV. Slightly racist at times I suppose, but considering they had Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour, it was almost politically correct!

😃  I vaguely remember  Love thy Neighbour.   Maybe  ITV were taking a risk with that and Rising Damp in the hope that it started to normalise the concept of black actors in TV comedies, so fair play to them for trying.   Pity the scripts weren't up to the BBC standards though. The BBC seemed to engage the best comedy script writers.

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

RIP Ian Lavender.

Jimmy Perry & David Croft comedies were top quality.

As was 'Allo 'Allo.

The glory days of the BBC

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Jimmy Perry & David Croft comedies were top quality.

As was 'Allo 'Allo.

The glory days of the BBC

I agree.

Malinga the Swinga

My favourite episode is the cricket game v the Air Raid wardens. Fred Titmus plays for wardens, England fast bowler of that time, and watching Jonesy as wicket keeper and Mannering trying to bat still makes me laugh.

If I recall properly, Godfrey, the old medic, was a real life war hero and was Daisy Ridley's great uncle.

For Pike, it's the episode with the German prisoners and 'don't tell him your name Pike'. 

ToadKiller Dog
13 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

recall properly, Godfrey, the old medic, was a real life war hero and was Daisy Ridley's great uncle.

Yep he was seriously injured in the somme, took a bayonet to the groin and a rifle butt to the head ,amongst other injuries ,how he survived God knows ,Still managed to join up in ww2 and was evacuated from Dunkirk before joining the real home guard .

John Findlay
1 hour ago, been here before said:

I remember watching this... :rofl:

Superb Rick Wakeman

Pasquale for King

Quite surprising these guys lasted so long considering none of them were spring chickens 50 years ago, still showing the repeats. 

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Quite surprising these guys lasted so long considering none of them were spring chickens 50 years ago, still showing the repeats. 

You made me Wiki him

Born 1946. So around 30 when TV.

Thought he was maybe younger.

Anyway the useless bit of trivia.

Pike's claret and blue scarf was picked by Lavender as he supported Aston Villa.

I had always assumed it was a West Ham scarf.

Clive Dunn was the funniest for me.

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

You made me Wiki him

Pike's claret and blue scarf was picked by Lavender as he supported Aston Villa.

You can still hear his Brummie accent coming through in the earlier episodes. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You made me Wiki him

Love that, thanks 👍🏽

PaddysBar
19 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You made me Wiki him

According to wiki he was 22 when he first joined dad’s army in ‘68. 

5 hours ago, westbow said:

The Dads Army curse strikes again.

I’m sure the sun ran with that headline after another actor born in the late 19th century popped his clogs at a ripe old age😂

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, PaddysBar said:

According to wiki he was 22 when he first joined dad’s army in ‘68. 

I was more meaning that I would only have watched it from about 74

PaddysBar
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was more meaning that I would only have watched it from about 74

Ah, ok. Late 70s for me so possibly re-runs.

Duns Jambo

Very sad indeed, but what a legacy Ian leaves behind.

I'm willing to bet that there was a cry of "Don't tell him, Pike" from behind the Pearly Gates when St Peter asked for his name. 

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

You made me Wiki him

Clive Dunn was nowhere near as old as his character was made to be. He was "only" 51 when he recorded the song Grandad.

In a similar vein, Lionel Jefferies, who played Grampa in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was only a couple of years older than Dick van Dyke, who played his on-screen son, Caratacus Potts (IYKYK). 

Nookie Bear
17 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I had a look and most of the cast were born in the 1910s/1920s.

Sgt Wilson and Cpl Fraser were born 19th century :shocked666: