Style of play

fabienleclerq

fabienleclerq

Naismiths tactics/style of play was questioned especially early in the season. We switched from flying forward to what appeared a very measured (some would say slow) approach, however the results at the start of the season weren't quite what we were after.

It's developed and the players seem to understand it really well just now and we have a real control in games, we never panic and just keep sticking to the plan. It's almost old firmesque the way we are going about games just now. 

Shankland is obviously the jewel in the crown and it may not work without him but I'm enjoying Naismithball right now.

We came back from 2 down vs Ross County, went one better doing it again vs Dundee to win and then today they were in the lead twice and we got the job done. I'm loving the resilience and fighting spirit we are now showing. Instead of letting our heads drop we are playing right til the end of games.

Agreed and I believe further improvement will come. 

I genuinely thought we played well the whole game today. 

I didn’t understand Naismith’s comments in Oct about how it would be December before it all starts to click. Not sure what he meant or the specific time. He was right now and you can see genuine improvement.  

davie1980
6 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

I didn’t understand Naismith’s comments in Oct about how it would be December before it all starts to click. Not sure what he meant or the specific time. He was right now and you can see genuine improvement.  

Visionary

Fort Vallance
22 minutes ago, RS86 said:

We came back from 2 down vs Ross County, went one better doing it again vs Dundee to win and then today they were in the lead twice and we got the job done. I'm loving the resilience and fighting spirit we are now showing. Instead of letting our heads drop we are playing right til the end of games.

Handy if we stopped giving them a goal of a start though. Yeah nit-picking. You can see the togetherness.

indianajones

His style of play is be shite in the first half and then destroy in the second. 

Genuinely feels like tactics now. 

jambo mark
24 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Would love to reread this?

kingantti1874

Our style is to win. Sometimes solid, sometimes play good football but usually find a way.

naisy deserves enormous credit and quite a few apologies

He has a winning mentality and he has instilled it in the team.

I hate the OF but Naismith has got us doing something they always do: coming from behind and winning / scoring at the end / never giving up. That can be the difference between 3rd and top 2 if we have consistency over a whole season and the OF aren't so good.

6 minutes ago, Gards said:

Our style of play is shit…but it’s getting results.

I think our play is slowly improving to be fair. 

kingantti1874
Just now, stotty said:

I think our play is slowly improving to be fair. 

Who would have think it.  Build from the back 🤔 whoever said that 

karipidis
8 minutes ago, Gards said:

Our style of play is shit…but it’s getting results.

Disagree, I’ve enjoyed the recent games. First half is poor but that is generally the norm in this league. 

karipidis
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Who would have think it.  Build from the back 🤔 whoever said that 

There was so much intent with our play today than the same fixture earlier in the season where it felt like it was just being passed between Kent and Rowles the whole game. Years of Robbie’s style was always going to take time to change but it seems to be working now. 

Honestly football isn’t for some people. There’s been 18 goals in our last 5 games and we’ve taken maximum points. Time to go shopping at weekends if you’re not loving this season.

john thomas
12 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

He has a winning mentality and he has instilled it in the team.

I hate the OF but Naismith has got us doing something they always do: coming from behind and winning / scoring at the end / never giving up. That can be the difference between 3rd and top 2 if we have consistency over a whole season and the OF aren't so good.

That's exactly what he's done

1 minute ago, john thomas said:

That's exactly what he's done

100%. If we can keep this up and take it into next season, imagine what we can achieve. I want to see us go all out in the two cups as well this season. Let's have it!

The Goalscoring Knee
3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Honestly football isn’t for some people. There’s been 18 goals in our last 5 games and we’ve taken maximum points.

This ☝️

Arthur Morgan

Who cares how we play if we keep winning 😂

Seriously though, we are capable of playing good stuff, you can see it for some periods in each game, just about trying to find those levels for a whole game.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

No doubt. The defensive side was decent from day 1 but we look much more of a threat now. Big credit to the management, but also to Forrest and Lembikisa who are always taking players on. 

For the last few games the blend of measured and more direct attacking has been great.

Fans go on and on about style of play, but the reality is that to win games consistently you need to take a bit of a horses for courses approach. If you rigidly stick to one system/approach then unless you have very good players, teams will work out how to stop you playing. Stevie knows this and it's one of his great strengths as a manager IMO. 

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Naismiths tactics/style of play was questioned especially early in the season. We switched from flying forward to what appeared a very measured (some would say slow) approach, however the results at the start of the season weren't quite what we were after.

It's developed and the players seem to understand it really well just now and we have a real control in games, we never panic and just keep sticking to the plan. It's almost old firmesque the way we are going about games just now. 

Shankland is obviously the jewel in the crown and it may not work without him but I'm enjoying Naismithball right now.

Spurs thought that with Kane but now better than ever 

It's a nice change to see Hearts coming back time and time again, grinding out wins after conceding (either going behind or conceding an equaliser)

In previous years we'd have collapsed.

However, it's becoming slightly annoying that we NEED to come back from letting in stupid goals.

We always feel on a knife edge and at the moment our mentality and individual skill is heling us fall on the winning side of that blade.

3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Honestly football isn’t for some people. There’s been 18 goals in our last 5 games and we’ve taken maximum points. Time to go shopping at weekends if you’re not loving this season.

Correct. 

letsalllaughathobos

No surprise we added more width to the team started picking up more results, 

Gillsland jack

If you think its been stressful hanging on to Shanks, just wait until we are sweating over the manager being poached, he has been confident all season when some folk on here were losing their shit.

If he keeps us improving, maybe winning a trophy next season, he had an impressive playing career down south and is well known to a lot of punters, I could see him getting offered the Everton job in the future, something tells me he is ambitious and won't be happy hanging about at Tynecastle once he's built a great reputation as a manager and lets face it, if he achieves what we want him to achieve that will involve beating the uglies regularly, if that happens he will get offers from down south.

The thing I love about Naismith is his ability to adapt, both before the game and during it. The leader we saw on the park looks like it’s gone nowhere from his transition into management and the exciting thing is, we’re only going to get better and I don’t think it’ll be long until we give someone an absolute tanking.

Hopefully it’s Hibs :verysmug:

Edited by D4nny_

The Old Tolbooth
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

And folk are still complaining, **** knows how Hibs fans feel 🤣🤣

Bongo 1874

We are a possession based team,that tries to win the ball high up the pitch,and then break into attacks from there.

Intensity is our identity.

Oda be a JT

I’d love to see a half time talk…cos whatever the hell he does it just works!!

Wee Mikey
7 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

I’d love to see a half time talk…cos whatever the hell he does it just works!!

Ask and ye shall be given:-

Pasquale for King

Shankland needs a pacy partner up front, how anyone cant see this is scary. Starting with Boyce/Grant beside him really doesn’t help us play well . 

Kjell Olofsson

Style of play is getting better. Vargas and Oda are gradually getting to grips with Scottish football.

They used to wait for the game to come to them rather than take the game by the scruff of the neck! Forrest starting to make the play too! Dexter creating down the right is a big plus too. 

Oda be a JT
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Ask and ye shall be given:-

🤣🤣🤣

Thumperbeni

The truth is we aren’t playing great and it’s not great to watch but Jesus we are winning !

kingantti1874

Name a team in this league playing exciting stylish football? In fact other than postecoglu’s celtic name a team who’ve played this tika taka shite over the past 5 years and been successful? 

we play winning football, solid when we need to be, high pressing when we need to be, direct when we need to be, controlled when we need to be.  It’s ****ing perfect for this league. 

tbh - as an aside anyone who is after tika taka is out of their mind. It’s absolutely shite . Compare the crap that is football now to football 20 years ago. I’ll rather tear my eyes out than watch Man City or a pep guardiola team. Eye bleeding crap 

Wee Mikey
19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Name a team in this league playing exciting stylish football? In fact other than postecoglu’s celtic name a team who’ve played this tika taka shite over the past 5 years and been successful? 

we play winning football, solid when we need to be, high pressing when we need to be, direct when we need to be, controlled when we need to be.  It’s ****ing perfect for this league. 

tbh - as an aside anyone who is after tika taka is out of their mind. It’s absolutely shite . Compare the crap that is football now to football 20 years ago. I’ll rather tear my eyes out than watch Man City or a pep guardiola team. Eye bleeding crap 

Did you see the Tottenham v Man City cup match last week?

The longer it went on, the funnier it got. But, the levels of fitness were extraordinary.

Angeball resulted in ... wait for it ... 1 shot, but at least it was on target.

Apologies for being selective, but their pass accuracy stat v a team they are competing with at their level was an impressive 82%.

Yesterday, our pass accuracy v a team that we are competing with at our level was 81% resulting in 18 shots with 6 on target (and, of course, 3 goals), so it's not all bad.

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Did you see the Tottenham v Man City cup match last week?

The longer it went on, the funnier it got. But, the levels of fitness were extraordinary.

Angeball resulted in ... wait for it ... 1 shot, but at least it was on target.

Apologies for being selective, but their pass accuracy stat v a team they are competing with at their level was an impressive 82%.

Yesterday, our pass accuracy v a team that we are competing with at our level was 81% resulting in 18 shots with 6 on target (and, of course, 3 goals), so it's not all bad.

yep. Honestly.  I can’t stand what football has become. All the talent is being coached out of kids and they are turned into pressing passing robots.  Where are the individuals, where are the moments of genius, where is the pace, where id the aggression and the anger. 

genuinely pep guardiola and his decipels have ruined football and people pine for that? Get it in the bin? Is it effective, yes if you have the best players passing robots in the world.  For everyone else it’s shite 

Delboyinoz

Instant success and unrealistic expectations will drive anyone bonkers. Most Hearts fans know it takes time to build a successful team with a new manager. We've been lucky to have had good times under Nielson ( until it fell apart)and Naismith. Compare that to our noisy neighbours  a complete basket case and always will be, despite any pin money this Yank decides to contribute.

So Champagne football? Probably not, Good times ahead ?.. always 😀

Edited by Delboyinoz

My criticism of Robbie often was he couldn't change things in game with subs or decisions. I feel SN is getting very good at doing things in game that turn the tide in our favour.

Long may it continue