Bathroom renovations prices. (ADVICE)

gordiegords

gordiegords

Planning on upgrading my bathroom in the near future and decided to go for a full wet wall package, gathering a couple of quotes but I’ve no idea what prices are reasonable or not, job would be remove a bulkhead at the back, remove toilet, bath and old sink, install new shower unit, new toilet (in a new position) and new sink, of course with all new bits and and bobs, taps, handles, sliding doors etc.

Plus ceiling panel and wet wall all around, id say my bathroom is just under a medium, not small but not medium.

One quote i have is £4800 and been advised it’s a 4 day job.

Any thoughts? If this seems reasonable I’ll probs go for it.

Cheers.

tightrope

Ask for a breakdown of the price, haggle. If the labour seems too high, move on. Also, ask if your getting the trade discount on appliances extras etc.....be cheeky.

spirt of 98
9 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Planning on upgrading my bathroom in the near future and decided to go for a full wet wall package, gathering a couple of quotes but I’ve no idea what prices are reasonable or not, job would be remove a bulkhead at the back, remove toilet, bath and old sink, install new shower unit, new toilet (in a new position) and new sink, of course with all new bits and and bobs, taps, handles, sliding doors etc.

Plus ceiling panel and wet wall all around, id say my bathroom is just under a medium, not small but not medium.

Cheers.

That sounds like a decent price.

I got a new bathroom few years back cost 5k but the material spec was high  so probably the reason it was higher. 

Used Mark Robertson bathrooms. They did an excellent job. 

Don’t know about them but prepare yourself for tradesmen no shows after waiting in all day. That and blaming their suppliers for late deliveries/wrong items sent. 

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, gordiegords said:

Cheers.

Decent price,but do your homework. Plenty cowboys out there 🤠.

Serj Tankian

Have a look on fb group Edinburgh cowboys do your homework on who you book . Plenty conmen in bathroom work 

highlandjambo3
17 hours ago, gordiegords said:

Cheers.

I got a couple of bathrooms done about 4 years ago, one was small en suite and the other was medium sized with a bath.  Got them completely gutted from top to toe including flooring.  Total price was 12k……I’ve a builder mate who has said you could add on about 20% now with the cost of materials today.

So, looking for a price is really dependant on the quality you’re looking for.  Be careful, if you want to keep on driving quotes downwards you can seriously degrade the quality of the materials used, for example you can get shower cubicles that are fairly flimsy Perspex 2mm thick, same with thin cheaper wet wall, of course it will still look fairly decent when new.  I asked for decent mid range equipment, 6-8mm shower glass, 10mm wet wall, multi shower head, floating toilet/sink unit (off the floor) LED mist proof heated bathroom light with hands free sensor operation.  It all still looks brand new………..don’t forget an extractor fan.  I had one fitted that detects moisture in the bathroom which will stay on till it dries out.  Of course you can only pay what you can reasonably afford but you’ll get what you pay for.

Yes, it took 5 days per bathroom.

Edited by highlandjambo3

gordiegords

Thanks for the replies, seems the quote is quite reasonable, I’ll gather a couple more quotes and then decide!

highlandjambo3
49 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Thanks for the replies, seems the quote is quite reasonable, I’ll gather a couple more quotes and then decide!

You should also go out to a couple of bathroom showrooms and take pictures of the sort of stuff you want to show the fitter.

gordiegords
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You should also go out to a couple of bathroom showrooms and take pictures of the sort of stuff you want to show the fitter.

Yeah I’ve already made up my mind what I want and how I want it to look! Just clueless on what a good price is 😆

PaddysBar
20 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I got a couple of bathrooms done about 4 years ago, one was small en suite and the other was medium sized with a bath.  Got them completely gutted from top to toe including flooring.  Total price was 12k……I’ve a builder mate who has said you could add on about 20% now with the cost of materials today.

So, looking for a price is really dependant on the quality you’re looking for.  Be careful, if you want to keep on driving quotes downwards you can seriously degrade the quality of the materials used, for example you can get shower cubicles that are fairly flimsy Perspex 2mm thick, same with thin cheaper wet wall, of course it will still look fairly decent when new.  I asked for decent mid range equipment, 6-8mm shower glass, 10mm wet wall, multi shower head, floating toilet/sink unit (off the floor) LED mist proof heated bathroom light with hands free sensor operation.  It all still looks brand new………..don’t forget an extractor fan.  I had one fitted that detects moisture in the bathroom which will stay on till it dries out.  Of course you can only pay what you can reasonably afford but you’ll get what you pay for.

Yes, it took 5 days per bathroom.

I did exactly the same, well the landlord did, we bought the house off him just after he did both bathrooms and fitted a new boiler😂

Total cost for the bathrooms was £14k and he didn’t buy cheap crap. 

Around 7 years later they both still look great so your advice on not buying cheap crap is spot on. 

Buy cheap, buy twice. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Maybe ask the tradesmen what hours they work , they seem to start around 10am break at 11 lunch at 12:30 and call it a day just after 3pm early finish on a Friday and a grand each a week

BOSH job done

1 hour ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Maybe ask the tradesmen what hours they work , they seem to start around 10am break at 11 lunch at 12:30 and call it a day just after 3pm early finish on a Friday and a grand each a week

BOSH job done

Plus take a Hamilton in your other working bogs. Feel free to dump your rubbish from other jobs in my skip too without asking. All while waiting on the plumber turning up from another job because for some reason they cannot synchronise. So for two days straight the plumber cannae work without the joiner and vice versa. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
3 minutes ago, westbow said:

Plus take a Hamilton in your other working bogs. Feel free to dump your rubbish from other jobs in my skip too without asking. All while waiting on the plumber turning up from another job because for some reason they cannot synchronise. So for two days straight the plumber cannae work without the joiner and vice versa. 

And they are always sharing social media videos, texting away sipping constant cup's of tea with added smoking shit you know the smell break's

Fcuk it your better DIY or get the missus or mother in law to do it because they know best 

On 30/01/2024 at 18:36, gordiegords said:

Cheers.

We done ours about 4.5 years ago, ours was a pretty small shower room but we manged to move things around and squeeze in an L shaped bath with shower above, bathroom was half height tiled (almost full height for the shower), floor was heated and tiled and to help create more room in the small bathroom we had their joiner replace the bathroom door and switch orientation to open out into the hall rather than into the bathroom, all in it was about 6.5k

Jim_Duncan

To help keep costs down, I could pebble dash your walls for the cost of a vindaloo and 8 pints of Guinness?

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

To help keep costs down, I could pebble dash your walls for the cost of a vindaloo and 8 pints of Guinness?

You’ll need to add some lentils to that vindaloo to finish the job off.

Jim_Duncan
59 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You’ll need to add some lentils to that vindaloo to finish the job off.

Undercooked green split peas...

🥵

MacLeod Tiling and Bathrooms on Facebook. Did mine recently. Complete strip and rebuild and decent materials. Paid £5300 but he smashed it in 4 days. I would recommend 100%.