The best hostels in the world

rudi must stay

Greedy Jambo

My mate used to run a hostel in California, until he got sent to prison for dealing drugs and sent back to Scotland. 

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

That's it 1 reply? The potential of this thread is humongous

Maybe this isn't the best location for such a discussion, young man. There's a place you can go, however...

ArcticJambo

Last hostel I stayed in , in 2014 was with in Wooler. Booked a family room, as we had kids of 8 and 11 at the time. Turned up and the boy had someone else in there (who was out and not back til later). Instead of kicking up a big fuss I said ok to a dorm he said we could use instead. Lucky if I slet an hour that night, as all the beds creaked on their shitty springs, and the place stank of sweaty feet.  Wasn't cheap either, like cost us close to a 80 quid iirc, as it's based on per person, not like your typical Prenier inn at the time, which was closer to 60 for a family room.

Anyway, it was a shite experience and one I'll never repeat. SYHA hostels were top notch when I were a lad, basic, but right good value for money. 

Went to a German one in Karlsruhe on the way to our UEFA game vs Bologna, it was a different world, and they gave you a ****ing massive breakfast full of cold meats and cheeses. Ze Germans smash the English every time.

Doctor FinnBarr

Hostels were good a few years back if you were on a budget or wanted to hire an entire place but they seem to have priced themselves out the market nowadays. Last time I priced one in Newtonmore (I think) it was x amount in a shared room for 2 of us but an Airbnb doors away was only £20 dearer. 

Greedy Jambo

I'm thoroughly looking forward to tomorrows one word thread, from the ghost of Christmas past.

That thing you do

Stayed in a few good hostels in Europe when I went inter railing round europe pre University.

Really particularly enjoyed Helsinki as wasnt alone at that one!

Good times.

manaliveits105

St Christopher's Inn hostels with their Belushi Bars with drinks deals are decent and cheapest places to drink in heart of places like Amsterdam and Barcelona . There's one in Market street here too.

Back in 2000 did a trip round Europe with a company and we stayed in a variety of hostels. The best were in Vienna (think it was called Wombats - was very clean and centrally located). The other one was in Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic, although the name escapes me. 

9 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Last hostel I stayed in , in 2014 was with in Wooler. Booked a family room, as we had kids of 8 and 11 at the time. Turned up and the boy had someone else in there (who was out and not back til later). Instead of kicking up a big fuss I said ok to a dorm he said we could use instead. Lucky if I slet an hour that night, as all the beds creaked on their shitty springs, and the place stank of sweaty feet.  Wasn't cheap either, like cost us close to a 80 quid iirc, as it's based on per person, not like your typical Prenier inn at the time, which was closer to 60 for a family room.

Anyway, it was a shite experience and one I'll never repeat. SYHA hostels were top notch when I were a lad, basic, but right good value for money. 

Went to a German one in Karlsruhe on the way to our UEFA game vs Bologna, it was a different world, and they gave you a ****ing massive breakfast full of cold meats and cheeses. Ze Germans smash the English every time.

Not quite every time. :kirk:

JudyJudyJudy

Only stayed in a hostel once and it was awful . 6 of us in a room and everyone either snoring like wart hogs or farting or belching . There was also an odd German lad who would shout throughout the night 

“ Mien god ! Keep ze noise down “ he then weirdly got up in the morning and stood in front of a full length mirror brushing his long blonde hair , just in black old fashioned. Y fronts ! Very odd 

CavySlaveJambo

I have stayed in some nice one breaking the trip up to see my sister. 

It overlooks Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.   It is run by YHA Australia.  Plus an old archaeological dig under the ground floor.  

They also have one in Sydney beside the station where you can sleep in a Railway Carriage.   That was nice as well.  

I have a SYHA/Hostelling Scotland (Hostelling International) Membership so it saves me a few £ every night I stay at a Hostelling International hostel.    

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

Psychedelicropcircle

I stayed in the one at torridon. We got scattered around the rooms. Wasn’t sure if the random on the bottom bunk was having a Sherman / or a fit. ✊🏻 💦 

henrysmithsgloves

We stayed at Moville Boutique Hostel Donegal. For being pet friendly, it was spotless . Next to it is the oldest bridge in Ireland,plenty pubs within staggering distance for some craic 😎 we ended staying for a week😄