22 games in

damo

23/24

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

12  3  7 27 20   39

22/23

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

11  5  6  42 32  38

Neilson as forwards coach and Naismith as defensive coach is the winning combo   👀

Armageddon
1 hour ago, damo said:

23/24

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

12  3  7 27 20   39

22/23

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

11  5  6  42 32  38

Neilson as forwards coach and Naismith as defensive coach is the winning combo   👀

Folk may hate this, but Frankie McAvoy is 100% responsible for the defence at the club, he’s behind the transformation.

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Folk may hate this, but Frankie McAvoy is 100% responsible for the defence at the club, he’s behind the transformation.

According to SN, during the analysis and planning, he focuses on us in possession, GF focuses on us out of possession and FM concentrates on set pieces, for and against us.

kingantti1874

No surprise.  Missing Barrie Mackay out most creative player all season and Gino who has been a massive loss.  We also committing less people forward when defending corners.

however, I’m sure lembikisa will help massively.  And hopefully Baz back soon as well.  

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, damo said:

23/24

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

12  3  7 27 20   39

22/23

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

11  5  6  42 32  38

Is this the stage it started to fall apart last season? 

We ended up on 54 points -so we only took 16 points from the 16 remaining matches. 

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Is this the stage it started to fall apart last season? 

We ended up on 54 points -so we only took 16 points from the 16 remaining matches. 

Neilson gave up.

Naismith won't.

Not this season anyway 😜

LarrysRightFoot
Just now, Bull's-eye said:

Neilson gave up.

Naismith won't.

Not this season anyway 😜

Let’s hope not. 

A win on Saturday would be big. 

Bull's-eye
Just now, Armageddon said:

IMG_1434.jpeg

Calling Shite on that. Hibs have 40 points.

Corstorphine Jambo
17 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

IMG_1434.jpeg

And that’s with a VAR howler against us!

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Signing Frankie Kent is the difference. 

schillaci

A real marker this season would be to finish third, but closer to second than the team finishing fourth is to us. That would be a measure of progress.

Pete Elliott
8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Folk may hate this, but Frankie Kent is 100% responsible for the defence at the club, he’s behind the transformation.

FTFY

King prawn
7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agree with this. There’s no way we’d have kept as many clean sheets with Sibbick and Rowles. 

According to the Evening News article on the Hoff, we have 6 wins and a draw from our last 6 matches. 19 points out of 18. League winning form I think....

Edited by Bickfest

Doesn’t really surprise me, we were lethal in front of goal during the first 2/3rds of last season regularly hitting 3 goals a game.

chrisyboy7
40 minutes ago, schillaci said:

A real marker this season would be to finish third, but closer to second than the team finishing fourth is to us. That would be a measure of progress.

Only 10 off rangers

soonbe110
9 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Frankie is def the difference in defence season to season. 

Kent not McAvoy though. . 

30 minutes ago, Bickfest said:

According to the Evening News article on the Hoff, we have 6 wins and a draw from our last 6 matches. 19 points out of 18. League winning form I think....

But for a terrible start, we would be right up there.

2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

But for a terrible start, we would be right up there.

Well using his calculations I’d be disappointed considering we are getting extra points and games. 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Doesn’t really surprise me, we were lethal in front of goal during the first 2/3rds of last season regularly hitting 3 goals a game.

At home, away we had issues but that was the defence, we were poor at set pieces and cross balls.

No Kent, Rowles was still a bit raw and Halkett was Injured, iirc Rowles was out for  a bit as well.

We've massively improved that and it's given us a platform to win tight games.

We play a similar style to last season imo.

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, schillaci said:

70 points would be my marker, probable a bit off that currently.

We're on for 60 points tho, which is a high amount given the recent trend.

19 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Well using his calculations I’d be disappointed considering we are getting extra points and games. 

Indeed. 😁

26 minutes ago, schillaci said:

I get you in a way but imo there’s more important metrics at play. We can’t control the amount of points the other teams pick up, what I’m more interested in is things like our total number of wins & total number of points.

Last season we had 15 wins & 54 points, the season before it was 17 wins & 61 points, 15/16 (our best top flight season since admin) was 18 wins & 64 points. Those should be the barometers that we aim to beat (currently on 12 wins & 39 points). Goal difference could be taken into account too but it’s so variable week to week so I’ve omitted it for now.

1 hour ago, schillaci said:

Nah that’s maybe next seasons marker for me. Going from 4th to 3rd by such a margin is too much a step in one season. Getting 3rd 2 or 3 seasons in a row would be progress alone. 

Seems much of a muchness between the two. Feels like it's maybe the level of the squad. Naismith has somehow managed to make us more unwatchable which is some going but as long as the wheels don't come off second half of the season he'll have done a good job.

8 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Getting rid of Neilson is the biggest factor 👍

How we capitulated under RN after this. What was it? Only 3 or 4 wins in our next 16 thanks to him. SN had some job to do.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

I get you in a way but imo there’s more important metrics at play. We can’t control the amount of points the other teams pick up, what I’m more interested in is things like our total number of wins & total number of points.

Last season we had 15 wins & 54 points, the season before it was 17 wins & 61 points, 15/16 (our best top flight season since admin) was 18 wins & 64 points. Those should be the barometers that we aim to beat (currently on 12 wins & 39 points). Goal difference could be taken into account too but it’s so variable week to week so I’ve omitted it for now.

Exactly how I see it. More than 60 points would be good, reaching the 65 would be great. 70 points would constitute the much talked about "next level" although I think that is well beyond us this season!

Shooter McGavin

9 wins in our last 12, including a draw too.

Naismith deserves huge credit!

11 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Signing a centre half who can head the ball, who’d have thunk it? 

Clearly not Neilson or Savage last season. 

Supporting Hearts has taught me not to get too far ahead of myself so definitely not counting my chickens, St Johnstone and Dundee away will be very tough tests for us. 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Signing a centre half who can head the ball, who’d have thunk it? 

Clearly not Neilson or Savage last season. 

Aye, it was a head scratcher.

N Lincs Jambo
3 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Only 10 off rangers

Ifs and buts I know, but hold on at Ibrox at 89 minutes and the gap is 4 points, beat Hibs from 2-0 up and get the pen against Ross County with the correct VAR decision and the gap is 0. (assuming we actually score the penalty 😂 ). I like the job the management team are doing.

21 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Ifs and buts I know, but hold on at Ibrox at 89 minutes and the gap is 4 points, beat Hibs from 2-0 up and get the pen against Ross County with the correct VAR decision and the gap is 0. (assuming we actually score the penalty 😂 ). I like the job the management team are doing.

Surrendering a one goal lead against a poor Aberdeen team. 

colinmaroon
15 hours ago, damo said:

23/24

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

12  3  7 27 20   39

22/23

W  D  L  F   A    Pts

11  5  6  42 32  38

So was Shankland and Ginnelly.

N Lincs Jambo
9 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Surrendering a one goal lead against a poor Aberdeen team. 

Christ I’d forgotten about that one 😓

A_A wehatethehibs

Strange how similar it is results / points wise.

After a wobbly start we’ve found good mid season form. It is very similar to last season we had that 10 game unbeaten around xmas January time and went clear in 3rd. 

So, this is the start of the real challenge now, for the new coaching staff to prove their worth. This is the point where the difference needs to be seen. Got to back it up. Cannot let the momentum slip, as we’ve seen what happens.

No snodgrass spanner’s in the works of the Hearts juggernaut this time. This is where the work of the last 9 months must show up, and show how far we’ve come. 

Bindy Badgy
14 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

No surprise.  Missing Barrie Mackay out most creative player all season and Gino who has been a massive loss.  We also committing less people forward when defending corners.

however, I’m sure lembikisa will help massively.  And hopefully Baz back soon as well.  

I think Gino scored as many goals as Shankland if you exclude penalties? Like you say, he was a massive loss.

scott herbertson
29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Strange how similar it is results / points wise.

After a wobbly start we’ve found good mid season form. It is very similar to last season we had that 10 game unbeaten around xmas January time and went clear in 3rd. 

So, this is the start of the real challenge now, for the new coaching staff to prove their worth. This is the point where the difference needs to be seen. Got to back it up. Cannot let the momentum slip, as we’ve seen what happens.

No snodgrass spanner’s in the works of the Hearts juggernaut this time. This is where the work of the last 9 months must show up, and show how far we’ve come. 

We've got Rowles, Atkinson, Mackay, Devlin to come back, plus maybe Fraser. As long as we keep Shankland I'm pretty confident, though a victory on Saturday would be the bisiness

Daveandal

We are in a great position, as we were last season. It must be remembered we had Europe then which we coped with very well. Aberdeen haven't.

Despite the retoric we are alot more defensive under Naismith than Neilson. But we are getting results. Long may that continue. I can't see a collapse but we will lose games for sure.

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

We've got Rowles, Atkinson, Mackay, Devlin to come back, plus maybe Fraser. As long as we keep Shankland I'm pretty confident, though a victory on Saturday would be the bisiness

It’s all about the group mentality for me above individuals. That for me is the big thing which seems to have changed.

We had plenty of individual quality last season, scored plenty of goals, but the group mentality went haywire, the way the dressing room splintered and belief evaporated, that was criminal it just should not have happened with the quality we had.

For Naisy & co, up till now, has been about first stopping the rot, then making repairs to what was broken. But now it’s about advancing, kicking on and going beyond. Mentally that’s a big step but it is what it is, that is what we must now see for it to be classed as real progress. Saturday is a real big moment in the season, buzzing for it 

jamboinglasgow

I think its worth seeing the dramatic change in the 2nd round of fixtures from the first.

1st Round of fixtures

P   W   D   L   F   A  Pts

11   4   2   5    10   11    14

2nd round of fixtures

P   W   D   L   F   A  Pts

11   8    1   2  17  9   25         

11 points difference between the two rounds shows how much things have improved. Also shows how much difference our scoring went (where he can improve even more.)

Ex member of the SaS

Points total is a fallacy, it matters not how many points we get as long as we get third. Getting third on 30 points ( I know it's only an example ) only shows the rest are totally pants, the gains are the same whether we get third on 30 points or 90 points. Third is the bench mark and we should be getting third on a regular basis. This squad has shown they can play, it simply means the tactics and selections are not there. Second half against Dundee showed we can play well if only the correct players are selected and tactics show a more attacking formation.

SN has shown he can change a game with subs but it also shows a lacking in the original selection.  Too many pointless passes around the defense, not moving the ball forward quickly enough and expecting the likes of Halket to play out from defense has nearly cost us so many times.

We also have to get more players in the box when attacking, when defending we need to keep at least one player ( Shanks ) on the half way line. It commits the other team to leave defenders there and gives us an out ball.

ZanderMIM

If we manage to get 18 points from the remaining 16 games then we will have matched Aberdeens total last season that got them third..