Car Rental in Florida

droid

Anyone hired a car in Florida? Looking for tips on best deals on rentals or best companies to use etc.

Thanks in advance, Droid.

Rented cars a few times in the states.   

Like everything else the prices vary from company to company based on different factors Length of rental, type of car, etc ..

Unfortunately you've got to do a bit of research, use comparison and own company websites to get the best deal.

Only tip really is go with a reputable company* and get a package that includes all insurance before you go as the hire companies will pressurise and rip you off with their own insurance when you get there.

*generally more beneficial when things go wrong - only experience of this was air con not working in the car and the company (at a different location) swapped no problems.

conn artist

We hired it through BA when there in October. The car itself came from Avis. Take the full collision damage waiver. Someone bumped our parked car overnight at the hotel we stayed at. When you return it to Orlando airport as we did you literally drive into a multi storey car park and leave the keys in it and walk away. 

Edited by conn artist

Done this about a dozen times.....prices are now way higher than when we first done it

Always liked to do it though Alamo as you can do online check in so no queue when landing, straight down to garage and into car and drive off

Search for Alamo Brits as they usually are around 10% cheaper

Other option is a guy called Andy who runs Discount Florida car hire - mention you are on DIBB...as below

https://www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk/

or email him @  Andy - DFCH <[email protected]> ....as sometimes he does it cheaper than online

There is a forum for all of this called DIBB - everything to do with a Florida holiday, you will get great help there if needed

DM me as well, if you want any advice etc

With regards the collision insurance on offer from them?

I never take it. My own insurance covers me for rentals. Even when I have rented in Europe I am covered. Check with your credit card provider too as most of them provide car insurance as long as you pay for the car using your card. 
An old boss of mine sent his wife to Germany on holiday about 30 yrs ago. He rented her a car on his Visa card. She wrote the thing off and Visa paid off the whole thing. $20k at that time!

Rupert Pupkin

I usually have the car hire sorted before I go over, so it’s all figured into my price, it’s Alamo we use.

Absolutley love driving over there..

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

CostaJambo
1 hour ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

I usually have the car hire sorted before I go over, so it’s all figured into my price, it’s Alamo we use.

Absolutley love driving over there..

Another recommendation for Alamo, albeit we were in Florida in 2014 so this info may be out of date but when we checked in the guy said we could take any car from one particular row so we had the choice of about 6 or 7 different vehicles. Ended up with a huge twin cab pick-up which happened to be maroon.

PortyJambo

As others have said, search for deals before you go and take insurance beforehand rather than have an expensive add-on when you pick it up. 

I booked a Mustang convertible in Miami for a trip down the Keys, and got a bargain, even the guy at the hire desk asked me how I managed to get it for the price I did. Unfortunately the person in front of me got the last Mustang though, so I had to make do with a Camaro convertible...which was still great fun at least.