Simulation Theory - its all an illusion.

That thing you do

That thing you do

Recently got introduced to this idea that if a civilisation ever achieves technological maturity its likely to simulate itself.

The result being if you expect the premise its highly unlikely we live in base reality. Its basically all a dream.

Bit of a mind melt but as good a logic as any why theres no intelligent life at Easter Road/ in the universe thats discovered yet.

Edited by That thing you do

been here before

Now this thread has @Victorian written all over it. He's bound to know everything there is to google about it and then explain it to us.

Edited by been here before

manaliveits105

Isn't that what all our resident self  appointed intellectuals on everything and stats comrades do  though ? 

Seymour M Hersh

There was an episode of Elementary that featured this. Ahead of it's time that show. 😁

Sounds like conspiracy theorist stuff.

Worked beside a guy who thinks life itself just now is a simulation and that we are all slaves to a greater being.  

All our lives are under control and scripted. 😳

AlimOzturk

Life feels real enough to me. 

Simulated or not i am just grateful to be in the game. 

The Internet isn't the godsend it should have been. Full of simpletons. 

This shite, Flat Earthers, Aliens, etc... etc... The ability to contact one another this easily has allowed people like Trump, Ike, Jones, Peterson, Tate,  Sargent to profit on these head injuries anxiety and hatred and/or feeling of supremacy. Mostly white men. 

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Now this thread has @Victorian written all over it. He's bound to know everything there is to google about it and then explain it to us.

Yet we've never seen you post expertise on anything on this forum 🤷‍♂️

been here before
4 minutes ago, kila said:

Yet we've never seen you post expertise on anything on this forum 🤷‍♂️

Life can be tough eh?

Hang in there though, stay strong. Its all part of someone's imagination.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Worked beside a guy who thinks life itself just now is a simulation and that we are all slaves to a greater being.  

I knew you were going to say that.

I'd highly recommend World on a Wire or the Thirteenth Floor as good examples of films that explore the idea of simulation. Also videos of Rangers players in the penalty area.

Victorian

Life is a minestrone
Served up with parmesan cheese
Death is a cold Lasagne
Suspended in deep freeze

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Hansel said:

Imagine you found out you were just an NPC in a video game 🎮 

Eh??  we're not??

5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

The theory is that we can already simulate worlds on our computers, going from this in 1972

The Inside Story of 'Pong' and Nolan Bushnell's Early Days at Atari | WIRED

to this in 2024:

World Partition Window with world map

VR, haptics and better processing will create ever more sophisticated simulations until reality and simulated reality are almost indistinguishable from each other.

Any advanced civilization is likely to do 2 things.

1 - disappear into pleasure boxes, where they can explore places and pleasures beyond anything reality serves up. A possible explanation for the Fermi Paradox.
2 - create simulated civilizations for ancestry sims, learning from history, predicting outcomes of decisions etc. They would spin up countless sims.

Thus, the math pans out that the chances of being in a base reality rather than a simulated universe are lower than 100%. It doesn't mean we don't have freedom of choice within a simulation, that would depend on the intent of the sim. 

There are counter-arguments to this thought experiment:

1. You cannot ever simulate something more complex than the Universe itself as you'd not have the memory available for such infinity. Perhaps the distance and Universe speeding apart in our reality is the "fog" used in GTA III to make the map look bigger.
2. Can you program the code and parameters so perfectly no-one spots a glitch or finds a flaw? Currently, we definitely cannot!

Deja Vu is just a previously gamesave

Joking aside, it's a really interesting topic. The bit in @Gizmos post above about a possible explanation for the Fermi Paradox is really interesting in particular imo

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Deja Vu is just a previously gamesave

Joking aside, it's a really interesting topic. The bit in @Gizmos post above about a possible explanation for the Fermi Paradox is really interesting in particular imo

The more perverse side of me likes to think any civilization that creates advanced VR indistinguishable from reality just disappeared into it and hit the orgasm button repeatedly till they starved or more likely dehydrated to death. 

Being serious, how addictive would it be to pilot a ship to Saturn's rings via a wormhole then pop round the pleasure pits of Pluto for some R&R...

Simulation theory is a really interesting concept. It always amazes me how physics, possibly one of the purest and most fundamental sciences, seems to produce ideas like this that seem to me to be as much philosophy as they are science (e.g simulation theory, Schrödinger’s cat/superposition, observer effect etc).

The simulation paper is worth reading. It states that one of three statements must be true ( simulated reality being one) the problem for me is that one of the statements is that the human race will become extinct before reaching a post human state. If I was to bet on one of the options it would be this, somedays we don’t seem far from obliterating ourselves.

Lone Striker
10 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

11 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I'd like to give the person who wrote my script a doing

Greedy Jambo
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This shite, Flat Earthers, Aliens, etc... etc... The ability to contact one another this easily has allowed people like Trump, Ike, Jones, Peterson, Tate,  Sargent to profit on these head injuries anxiety and hatred and/or feeling of supremacy. Mostly white men. 

Says the guy that refuses to leave his box. 

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Simulation theory should not be categorised alongside the flat earth bullshit. It's not a conspiracy, it's a thought experiment which is based on valid physics and the evidence which is right around you. You did, after all, post your comment on the www using a computational device and not, as one may sometimes suspect, by carrier-pigeon?

3 hours ago, Ked said:

:D

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Simulation theory should not be categorised alongside the flat earth bullshit. It's not a conspiracy, it's a thought experiment which is based on valid physics and the evidence which is right around you. You did, after all, post your comment on the www using a computational device and not, as one may sometimes suspect, by carrier-pigeon?

Here, have a 🖍  

Edited by ri Alban

henrysmithsgloves

I watch this guy weekly,no I don't take it seriously 😆 like a good sci-fi series, anyhow here's his take😎p.s love hecklefish❤️

6 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

If it were all a simulation, would you care?

Wouldn't that depend on your sim? 

WorldChampions1902
14 hours ago, Ked said:

Now that made me chuckle. 🤣

2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

If it were all a simulation, would you care?

It depends. You wouldn't want those running the sim to turn it off I suppose. Also, do we have free-will? 

If I was in a sim and I could find the equivalent of this:

Creator of the famous 'Konami Code' that lets players cheat ...

that would be cool.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Here, have a 🖍  

If we are in a Sim, If I was you I'd be asking for your attribute points to be re-distributed :P 

attributes.jpg

hughesie27
On 22/01/2024 at 07:38, Hansel said:

Imagine you found out you were just an NPC in a video game 🎮 

Person controlling me must be a right creepy weirdo.

Many moons ago when I was young and dumb I took magic mushrooms on a trip in Amsterdam. For the few hours they lasted being in a computer games was exactly how I felt. Surreal experience. Never knew simulation theory was a thing I’ll defo find time to read into this at somepoint 

Bret the Hitman Hearts

Can we not live in a simulation where Hearts are a bit more successful?

Dawnrazor
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Person controlling me must be a right creepy weirdo.

Don't go there😲🤦

Simulation theory is one of things that I am aware of, and can't quite shake. 

It's silly, but if you look hard enough, you can't quite ignore. There are definitely things that suggest it might be real. 

Then again, there are suggestions that don't. 

It's an interesting thing to think about. 

:interehjrling:

Lord Montpelier
13 hours ago, tian447 said:

It's silly, but if you look hard enough, you can't quite ignore. There are definitely things that suggest it might be real. 

DNA looks like coding. Laws of nature , coding etc etc

Probably more philosophical at the moment this one , but we've seen massive leaps in technology over last 20 years and who knows where AI using quantum computers powered by cloud technology could take us...

AlimOzturk

The thing that would bring this theory into proper mainstream is when we have our very own simulation which mirrors our own reality.  Then the freaky thing is, just how many times have the simulation, simulated their reality and how far does it go?

Imagine we are just one of the thousands of mirror simulated realities?

Or then..maybe we are the first? It’s entirely feasible tbh. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

The thing that would bring this theory into proper mainstream is when we have our very own simulation which mirrors our own reality.  Then the freaky thing is, just how many times have the simulation, simulated their reality and how far does it go?

Imagine we are just one of the thousands of mirror simulated realities?

Or then..maybe we are the first? It’s entirely feasible tbh. 

thee jambo

I wish my user would up my health stats, and if they are reading this where's my euro millions win ?

Use a cheat or something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2024 at 02:48, tian447 said:

I'm similar. 

But i think there is a higher self/something.

I feel we are limited despite our evolvement .

I doubt anyone defies the belief in our sense of that.

Sorry just talking out loud.The whole of our conscience and how it's  used is a wonder.

Even and especially on here.

😆

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, Ked said:

I'm similar. 

But i think there is a higher self/something.

I feel we are limited despite our evolvement .

I doubt anyone defies the belief in our sense of that.

Sorry just talking out loud.The whole of our conscience and how it's  used is a wonder.

Even and especially on here.

😆

Heath Ledgers and cans of lager, Ked, and  a bursd to pump and a bottle of old school poppers.

That's all the higher sef/something you'll ever need right there.

2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Heath Ledgers and cans of lager, Ked, and  a bursd to pump and a bottle of old school poppers.

That's all the higher sef/something you'll ever need right there.

Aye but naw el Duce .

Simulation as a concept .....created in his own image or other wisdoms, tales .

I'm talking pish.

That thing you do
On 22/01/2024 at 13:12, Ked said:

They could've scripted Hibs 

#justsaying