Living in Arbroath..........

Section Q

Section Q

With be returning to Scotland later this year and hopefully live somewhere on the east coast.

A mate mentioned Arbroath as a possible destination and wondered if any of our knowledgeable KBers are familiar with the town/area.

Any contribution greatly appreciated.  . . .!

Dawnrazor

I'm helping a mate move next weekend up Glenesk, not far away, I think it's a lovley part of Scotland, the coast and mountains cheek to cheek, I'm looking forward to going, not been for a while. 

Hearts won 7-0 there on Christmas Eve, 1977.

🎼 Santa’s a Hearts fan 🎼

🎼 I’m dreaming of a white Christmas  🎼

❤️

Auld Reekin'
17 minutes ago, Section Q said:

With be returning to Scotland later this year and hopefully live somewhere on the east coast.

A mate mentioned Arbroath as a possible destination and wondered if any of our knowledgeable KBers are familiar with the town/area.

Apart from the harbour area and the abbey, which are nice, the town's a bit run-down and looks like it's seen much better days - lots of charity shops and empty premises. I can't say I'd recommend it although I don't know it well. I'd certainly say that places like Monifieth and Broughty Ferry are nicer. Maybe one of the smaller towns or villages in that part of Angus would be better?

As Dawnrazor says, however, there are some really nice places and areas nearby and the smokies and seafood you can get there are superb!

William H. Bonney
22 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its cauld, driech and depressing.

Sums up scotland really. 

ArcticJambo

Interesting wee town, I like it.

The Abbey, the harbour, Asda petrol is usually cheaper than Edinburgh. Best Kebab up near the train station. There's some fancy pie place at the north end, which looks interesting for those days when you feel like a pie. Their football team play in a decent maroon but obviously not half as good as ours. Seen a few selticky low lifes hanging round a couple of bars mind! Dundee is about 20 mins away if that floats youor boat. Montrose up the road has the fifth oldest links coast in the world, Madness played there a few yrs ago I believe, and Lunan Bay is a crackin spot on a hot day.

Do it!

been here before
6 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Interesting wee town, I like it.

The Abbey, the harbour, Asda petrol is usually cheaper than Edinburgh. Best Kebab up near the train station. There's some fancy pie place at the north end, which looks interesting for those days when you feel like a pie. Their football team play in a decent maroon but obviously not half as good as ours. Seen a few selticky low lifes hanging round a couple of bars mind! Dundee is about 20 mins away if that floats youor boat. Montrose up the road has the fifth oldest links coast in the world, Madness played there a few yrs ago I believe, and Lunan Bay is a crackin spot on a hot day.

Do it!

In summation theres a pie shop, a kebab place and an Asda with a garage.

A few auld firm fans and theres a couple of other shit holes a wee drive away.

Sounds the dugs :rofl:

That thing you do
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

I am. My wife worked there and we were based in Carnoustie at one point when I was completing my masters degree in Dundee.

Plus points:

Angus coast has some great places to walk and stunning beaches

Arbroath is well served obviously by the trains so easy to go to Dundee/Aberdeen

Great golfing area

Shopping wise youll get most things locally in Arbroath

Nice Pubs, fish suppers and smokies 

Affordable housing ie not overly pricey

Close to Angus glens for walking or a drive

Negatives:

Arbroath is a bit rough around the edges

Competes with Aberdeen for title of coldest place on earth in winter

Edited by That thing you do

Section Q

Thanks all.

Arbroath looks a wee bit tired, but most of Scotland does too to be fair.

The rail line connecting to Edinburgh/London is a plus, and a couple of decent pubs always welcome.

QUESTION.....is Dundee airport still functioning.  . ?

That thing you do
11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Thanks all.

Arbroath looks a wee bit tired, but most of Scotland does too to be fair.

The rail line connecting to Edinburgh/London is a plus, and a couple of decent pubs always welcome.

QUESTION.....is Dundee airport still functioning.  . ?

Yes.

Flights to Belfast and London Heathrow offered

Think also LoganAir go to Sumburgh via Inverness from Dundee also.

Theres also a direct bus from Dundee City Centre to Edinburgh Airport x90 by Xplor Dundee.

Popular service

Edited by That thing you do

Jeffros Furios

Plenty animals to sexually abuse .

Section Q
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Yes.

Flights to Belfast and London Heathrow offered

Think also LoganAir go to Sumburgh via Inverness from Dundee also.

Theres also a direct bus from Dundee City Centre to Edinburgh Airport x90 by Xplor Dundee.

Popular service

Many thanks for taking the time, TTYD.

Great web name, I remember the movie.....👍...!

That thing you do
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Many thanks for taking the time, TTYD.

Great web name, I remember the movie.....👍...!

Thats exactly where the name came from 👍

It was a great movie. And no problem, happy to help. 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Apart from the harbour area and the abbey, which are nice, the town's a bit run-down and looks like it's seen much better days - lots of charity shops and empty premises. I can't say I'd recommend it although I don't know it well. I'd certainly say that places like Monifieth and Broughty Ferry are nicer. Maybe one of the smaller towns or villages in that part of Angus would be better?

As Dawnrazor says, however, there are some really nice places and areas nearby and the smokies and seafood you can get there are superb!

This part is probably applicable to about 95% of the country. 

andrewjambo
11 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

There's some fancy pie place at the north end, which looks interesting for those days when you feel like a pie. 

Pie Bob's 

Australis

Looked very run down last time we were there.

Buts it's the same in so many Scottish towns and high streets now.

Section Q
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Living by the sea, whats not to love. 

Thanks Harry.......positive.........onwards and all that.  . . . 👍

20 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Thanks Harry.......positive.........onwards and all that.  . . . 👍

Stonehaven is nice, there has been a bit more investment in the town than some of these other coastal towns and a nice mix of new and old housing. Closer to Aberdeen but I think still on the same train line as Arbroath. Closer to Edinburgh I’d also agree that Broughty Ferry is nice too.

Rab Mac52
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hearts won 7-0 there on Christmas Eve, 1977.

🎼 Santa’s a Hearts fan 🎼

🎼 I’m dreaming of a white Christmas  🎼

❤️

Was that the game where Willie Gibson had scored two and we were awarded a penalty. At the time anyone scoring a hat trick got a crate of whisky from some distillery. Anyway on the award of the penalty Drew Busby grabbed the ball and handed it to Willie. Hearts fans in unison chanted, “Willie wants his whisky, Willie wants his whisky”.

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, andrewjambo said:

Pie Bob's 

That's the one, how is it? I just drive by it on the way back from Peterhead/Aberdeen/Montrose. 

However, used to regularly get smokies from The Fish Hoose, at the south end of the High Street just up from the Harbour but since the auld boy retired they don't seem quite as good. Saying that, I feel if you have them too often, the strong taste gets somewhat off-putting.

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

This part is probably applicable to about 95% of the country. 

An exaggeration, but I know what you're saying. However, it was particularly noticeable when I was last in Arbroath.

Bull's-eye

Shouldn't the only question be "options to get to Tynecastle" ?

14 hours ago, Section Q said:

Carnoustie and Monifieth both have stations on the same railway line and are nicer but probably as a result are dearer for housing.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

If you’re going to live on the east coast it has to be North Berwick or maybe Dunbar

Are you buying? 

Arbroath isn't the nicest of places, I was in Forfar before xmas and that looked awright but I did only go for the boys football,  If your not fussed about location You should check out fife. places like Kinghorn, Burntisland, Aberdour are decent and its easy to get to Edinburgh.

1 hour ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Was that the game where Willie Gibson had scored two and we were awarded a penalty. At the time anyone scoring a hat trick got a crate of whisky from some distillery. Anyway on the award of the penalty Drew Busby grabbed the ball and handed it to Willie. Hearts fans in unison chanted, “Willie wants his whisky, Willie wants his whisky”.

Indeed they did.

The distillery in question was Whyte and Mackay.

The Jazz Emu
3 hours ago, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

If you’re going to live on the east coast it has to be North Berwick or maybe Dunbar

North Berwick definitely.

King's Cairn is a fantastic street.

I lived there as a kid from 1980-83. Really enjoyed it.

Went back up c.2006 as my then Mrs had also lived there (her dad was a marine and based at HMS Condor) and tbh the High Street was a bit shabby. No idea what it's like now, but have fond memories of the place.

Spellczech
21 hours ago, been here before said:

Its cauld, driech and depressing.

Unlike the rest of Scotland...?

Other side of Dundee - Perth!

Bigger than Arbroath, nearer Edinburgh, I’m not much of a shopper but it’s fine for me.  Cinema, theatre and concert hall (that has a good & varied selection of stuff).  Wide variety of pubs and some pretty good restaurants.

People are nice and Edinburgh’s just 30 minutes down the M90.

And it’s a right cliché - but it really is handy for everywhere.

ArcticJambo
2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Bigger than Arbroath, nearer Edinburgh, I’m not much of a shopper but it’s fine for me.  Cinema, theatre and concert hall (that has a good & varied selection of stuff).  Wide variety of pubs and some pretty good restaurants.

Drove by their airport a few weeks back, yup an airport apparently. Who'd have thunk it!

:vrwow:

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

High tides 😉

13 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Drove by their airport a few weeks back, yup an airport apparently. Who'd have thunk it!

:vrwow:

As far as the airport goes it’s like Dundee, too close to Edinburgh for flights to be feasible.  There’s no commercial passenger services from Perth and even Dundee toils to maintain them.

ArcticJambo
37 minutes ago, FWJ said:

As far as the airport goes it’s like Dundee, too close to Edinburgh for flights to be feasible.  There’s no commercial passenger services from Perth and even Dundee toils to maintain them.

I was somewhat surprised, if I'm honest. I mean, there's the races, the prison, muirton park but perth airport!

heartgarfunkel
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Rising sea levels, tsunamis, shelling from the German High Seas Fleet if it's 1914, jellyfish, sharks, barracudas, sting rays, remora sucker fish, aggressive Humboldt's squid, polar bears, need I go on? FFS. :olly:

That thing you do
14 hours ago, flogel41 said:

Stonehaven is nice, there has been a bit more investment in the town than some of these other coastal towns and a nice mix of new and old housing. Closer to Aberdeen but I think still on the same train line as Arbroath. Closer to Edinburgh I’d also agree that Broughty Ferry is nice too.

The Ferry was once the richest square mile in the British Empire.

Its denizens feel above being part of Dundee where most central dwellers call them "Ferry F*ckers".

I am one having spent the first years of my life there.

It is a nice place. Still have family in the area.

Perth, someone mentioned, is like a mini Edinburgh. Lots of hoyti toyti types who think they are in Morningside.

7 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Perth, someone mentioned, is like a mini Edinburgh. Lots of hoyti toyti types who think they are in Morningside.

😂 we are not that bad !!!

Perth is alright but if i was relocating now i would choose Dundee, has come on leaps and bounds in the last 10-15 years with all the investment and is a far better night out.  

RustyRightPeg

If you enjoy wind, then Arbroath is the place for you. 

Really good smokies though. 

scott herbertson

I visit Montrose every month (auctions) and Arbroath fairly regularly for holidays up the coast.

If I was relocating I would go for Montrose - inland where the golf course is, there are plenty of really nice houses at reasonable prices. The town square is also a good layout and I think it is one of those places which could become fashionable. Arbroath town centre layouti isn't great IMO.

I would second Perth though - again a load of potential - the big new museum is opening soon and it will increassingly attract tourism with all the pluses and minuses that go with that (I think the plusses outweogh the minuses). It also has fantastic transport links both to the big cities and the highlands. House prices reasonable too

Fxxx the SPFL
27 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I visit Montrose every month (auctions) and Arbroath fairly regularly for holidays up the coast.

If I was relocating I would go for Montrose - inland where the golf course is, there are plenty of really nice houses at reasonable prices. The town square is also a good layout and I think it is one of those places which could become fashionable. Arbroath town centre layouti isn't great IMO.

I would second Perth though - again a load of potential - the big new museum is opening soon and it will increassingly attract tourism with all the pluses and minuses that go with that (I think the plusses outweogh the minuses). It also has fantastic transport links both to the big cities and the highlands. House prices reasonable too

Scott we had friends up from Coventry and took them to St Cyrus lovely area and on the way passed a place called Steptoe's Yard part of a farm with barns containing everything you could think of and at bargain prices granted a lot was junk but picked up a few items. every barn packed to the rafters obviously they have picked up loads from house clearances.

scott herbertson
13 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Scott we had friends up from Coventry and took them to St Cyrus lovely area and on the way passed a place called Steptoe's Yard part of a farm with barns containing everything you could think of and at bargain prices granted a lot was junk but picked up a few items. every barn packed to the rafters obviously they have picked up loads from house clearances.

I've heard of that but not been there. I go to taylor's auctions - they have a huge warehouse with 3000 lots over four days every month. Well worth a visit even just to look around (uyyou can bid from home). Will be up there collecting books later this week.

https://www.taylors-auctions.com/

Fxxx the SPFL
3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I've heard of that but not been there. I go to taylor's auctions - they have a huge warehouse with 3000 lots over four days every month. Well worth a visit even just to look around (uyyou can bid from home). Will be up there collecting books later this week.

https://www.taylors-auctions.com/

cheers Scott

17 hours ago, FWJ said:

Perth was good 10-15 years ago but last time I was there it was looking run down. 

Unknown user
13 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Its denizens feel above being part of Dundee where most central dwellers call them "Ferry F*ckers".

"Pirth" 🤢

14 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Merchiston, ectually.