Bob Monkhouse: The Last Stand

JFK-1

This was the very last recorded performance of Bob Monkhouse, he died later that year, 2003. He knew he was dying of prostate cancer but hadn't made that public, he knw this would be his last performance so presumably for personal reasons this was an invite only event littered with comedians. They knew he had been ill but didn't know it was terminal.  This show has apparently gone on to become legendary in the comic community.

Mysterion

I remember watching this when it first aired.

It was brilliantly filmed and put together and gave him a fitting send off. The respect shown to him was incredible. The comedians in that audience knew they were there to witness one of the greats of British comedy take his final bow.

Monkhouse was a brilliant comedian, a master of his craft and vastly underrated in his latter years IMO. 

i wish jj was my dad
42 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

This was the very last recorded performance of Bob Monkhouse, he died later that year, 2003. He knew he was dying of prostate cancer but hadn't made that public, he knw this would be his last performance so presumably for personal reasons this was an invite only event littered with comedians. They knew he had been ill but didn't know it was terminal.  This show has apparently gone on to become legendary in the comic community.

I'm sure I remember watching that and i'm certain knew. 

Genius 👍

He was casually chucking around zingers right from the start. Holding a newspaper he's acting as if he's reading.

"Les Denis says he wants to spend more time alone, I guess he's going on tour again" 

Soon after more risque. Talking about Prince Edward having been in the army.

"Prince Edward was in the Hoosars, it doesn't say whose arse he was in"

Not what people expect to hear from respected gameshow host Bob Monkhouse.

rudi must stay

He is in an episode of Jonathan Creek and he is terrific in it. Really a talented actor and comedian

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

He is in an episode of Jonathan Creek and he is terrific in it. Really a talented actor and comedian

I think his stand up and acting talents were largely forgotten by the wider public because for years or even decades all they saw or heard was Bob Monkhouse the gameshow host.

Just remembered another of his cracks which was pulled from his legendary joke book sometime after he died.

"My act wasn't great - a monk broke a 20-year vow of silence to heckle me'"

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

His autobiography is brilliant,too

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

I think his stand up and acting talents were largely forgotten by the wider public because for years or even decades all they saw or heard was Bob Monkhouse the gameshow host.

Just remembered another of his cracks which was pulled from his legendary joke book sometime after he died.

"My act wasn't great - a monk broke a 20-year vow of silence to heckle me'"

I watched this a couple of weeks ago. As an earlier poster states, the gags got a tad more risque as the evening went on. One of my favourites of his, not in this show was 'They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian................they're not laughing now'. 

A very interesting man in many ways. There are many silent films that still exist due to him collecting the original reels. Also an archive of recordings of TV shows that even the BBC didn’t have copies of. 

5 minutes ago, JWL said:

'They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian................they're not laughing now'. 

I think that's a great demonstration of his comic genius many people may miss. I always thought Billy Connolly for example was hilarious, memorable punchlines.

But to get to the punchline Billy would typically meander through a long story though in an entertaining manner. But how many great punchlines would Billy deliver in say an hour?

Bob Monkhouse just keeps pulling the punchlines out one after the other with hardly a space between, how many would he deliver in an hour? And immaculately delivers them.

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think that's a great demonstration of his comic genius many people may miss. I always thought Billy Connolly for example was hilarious, memorable punchlines.

But to get to the punchline Billy would typically meander through a long story though in an entertaining manner. But how many great punchlines would Billy deliver in say an hour?

Bob Monkhouse just keeps pulling the punchlines out one after the other with hardly a space between, how many would he deliver in an hour? And immaculately delivers them.

One tells jokes, the other doesn't.  It's that simple. 

Joke teller v story teller. 

Lovecraft
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

One tells jokes, the other doesn't.  It's that simple. 

Joke teller v story teller. 

Totally untrue.  If you just watched the video posted.  Monkhouse does both.

Just now, Lovecraft said:

Totally untrue.  If you just watched the video posted.  Monkhouse does both.

Na your alright.  I'd rather watch hibs.

Lovecraft
Just now, ri Alban said:

Na your alright.  I'd rather watch hibs.

Well stop pretending you know what you are talking about.

been here before
9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Are you sure you've ever seen Billy Connolly?

2 completely different comedians and comedic styles.

Its like saying Craig Gordon is a worse footballer than Lawrence Shankland because he doesnt score as many goals.

Benny Klack
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Gold from Brazil! 😂

omg - Brazil is a feckin clown 🤡 

23 hours ago, been here before said:

Are you sure you've ever seen Billy Connolly?

2 completely different comedians and comedic styles.

Its like saying Craig Gordon is a worse footballer than Lawrence Shankland because he doesnt score as many goals.

Eh yes I heard the very first Connolly album when it was released and I have seen him many times. What are you talking about? In relation to what I said.

periodictabledancer
On 12/01/2024 at 23:19, JFK-1 said:

I was never a fan of Monkhouse - who was a meticulous collector of other peoples material. I always had the impression he thought if he fired enough bullets he'd land some hits.  I think he's the closest/earliest  UK had to an American "wise guy" style of comedy.

IMO Connolly was much more relatable because he told a story about such everyday events and delivered a punchline you just couldn't see coming (his joke on Parkinson about the guy killing his wife and needing somewhere to park his bike being a classic example - that one moment made him a superstar). 

All opinions valid.