Guitar hero’s

jamborich

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ry taught Keith Richards open G tuning. The Rolling Stones probably owe Ry a fortune, "Start me up" "can't you hear me knockin'" etc... wouldn't exist without Ry Cooder. 

I read somewhere that there’s bad blood between Richards and Cooder, the latter thinking he had basically been ripped off and denied credit for certain things he had come up with. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• leginten

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ry taught Keith Richards open G tuning. The Rolling Stones probably owe Ry a fortune, "Start me up" "can't you hear me knockin'" etc... wouldn't exist without Ry Cooder. 

Cooder is a bona fide genius. A wee story to demonstrate it. A guy I worked with years ago got a job as his guitar tech for a UK tour as for some reason his regular tech couldn’t make it. He was talked through all the odd guitars by Cooder and given a notebook with all the different tuning he used. On one of the rehearsal days Cooder knocked a guitar over put it out of the already odd tuning. My mate went to grab the guitar so he could retune it and Cooder said nah it’s ok I’m just going to sit and warm up a bit. And then proceeded to play beautiful slide for 5 minutes on an out of tune guitar after a strum to work out what was out of whack. Quite the revelation for the guy I knew as his regular guitar tech gig at the time was Simply Red. 

1 minute ago, leginten said:

I read somewhere that there’s bad blood between Richards and Cooder, the latter thinking he had basically been ripped off and denied credit for certain things he had come up with. 

It was either Beggar’s Banquet or Let It Bleed that Cooder played a lot of the guitar on and taught Richards a lot. Richards has admitted in interviews that it changed his playing. 

Another left field suggestion if you can take a bit of jazz and classical - Martin Taylor is an astonishing guitarist. And lives in Irvine I think - or at least he did.

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It was either Beggar’s Banquet or Let It Bleed that Cooder played a lot of the guitar on and taught Richards a lot. Richards has admitted in interviews that it changed his playing. 

From slightly later on, a song like Ventilator Blues from Exile On Main Street sounds very like Cooder and makes you realise you hadn’t heard Richards playing slide like that previously.

Agree completely that Cooder is a genius. I guess his voice and much of his own songwriting were never enough to propel him to superstardom. Instead he occupies that intriguing niche he’s created for himself of supreme technician, musicologist, extraordinary session player, soundtrack artist and (especially with the Cuban stuff) impresario.

18 minutes ago, leginten said:

I don't doubt it.

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Cooder is a bona fide genius. A wee story to demonstrate it. A guy I worked with years ago got a job as his guitar tech for a UK tour as for some reason his regular tech couldn’t make it. He was talked through all the odd guitars by Cooder and given a notebook with all the different tuning he used. On one of the rehearsal days Cooder knocked a guitar over put it out of the already odd tuning. My mate went to grab the guitar so he could retune it and Cooder said nah it’s ok I’m just going to sit and warm up a bit. And then proceeded to play beautiful slide for 5 minutes on an out of tune guitar after a strum to work out what was out of whack. Quite the revelation for the guy I knew as his regular guitar tech gig at the time was Simply Red. 

He's amazing. Ry Cooder is different because he can play any type of music, African, Latin American, blues in open G, D and A, jazz, rock, slide. That's the mark of a real musician. 

Thanks for this thread. I’m off work waiting for a tradesman (he’s cancelled) so I’ve listened to Howling Wolf, Wes Montgomery, and now onto Ry Cooder’s Bop ‘til You Drop. All on glorious vinyl, good use of a wasted day off I’d say. 

jimbojambo

Further to my earlier list I forgot to add Glenn Campbell. I was privileged enough to see his farewell tour when the dementia had kicked in and he sang from a lyric sheet. At one point he went to sing a song again which he had just finished but incredibly played flawless guitar from memory without reading the music. So terribly underrated. 

4 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Further to my earlier list I forgot to add Glenn Campbell. I was privileged enough to see his farewell tour when the dementia had kicked in and he sang from a lyric sheet. At one point he went to sing a song again which he had just finished but incredibly played flawless guitar from memory without reading the music. So terribly underrated. 

There are some great clips on YouTube of him and Jerry Reed playing together. Most British people know Jerry Reed as Burt Reynolds’ truck driving partner from Smokey And The Bandit but he’s actually an amazing country guitarist. 

N Lincs Jambo
3 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Great shout with Clen Campbell. Love the way he plays his solos through the clean channel - no need for effects pedals, just great playing ability. Love watching his vids on YouTube, especially Wichita Lineman.

Roxy Hearts

Prince

Mick Ronson

Phil Manzanera

Lynsey Buckingham 

Glen Campbell

Angus Young

Jimi Hendrix

Richie Blackmore 

Jimmy Page 

Micky Moodie

Bernie Marsden

Peter Green 

Chris Spedding 

Dave Gilmour

Eric Clapton 

Nile Rogers

Mike Oldfield 

Tony Iommi

Carlos Santana

Peter Frampton 

All absolutely tremendous. 

4 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Anybody mentioned Tommy Emmanuel yet?   

Technically amazing but something about his playing makes me think of the metal guitarists like Yngvie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert. You admire the skill but don’t love the playing. 

crunchy frog

Geordie Walker

John Mcgeoch

J Mascis

Stuart Adamson

Keith Levene

Alan Rankine

Neil Young

Dickie Hammond 

Edited by crunchy frog

Dawnrazor
7 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Geordie Walker

John Mcgeoch

J Mascis

Stuart Adamson

Keith Levene

Alan Rankine

Neil Young

Dickie Hammond 

Great shout, I'll add Lu Edmonds.

21 hours ago, pablo said:

Too many to mention but always go back to Vini Reilly. 

One of those artists who will be looked back on a as genius at some point. 

Anyway loads of musicians to choose from and no definitive answer. 

The answer is probably some unknown Spanish dude in San Sebastian tbh

Kudos to that shout.

Without Mercy 1 is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Also his playing on Late Night, Maudlin Street elevates it to one of the best things Morrissey has ever been involved with.

Edited by Costanza

south morocco
18 hours ago, Tazio said:

There are some great clips on YouTube of him and Jerry Reed playing together. Most British people know Jerry Reed as Burt Reynolds’ truck driving partner from Smokey And The Bandit but he’s actually an amazing country guitarist. 

Guitar man is excellent 

jimbojambo

I was just commenting on the lack of blues guitarists these days. Everything seems to come under the new country umbrella which spills into Americana. Pop, rock and every other label under the sun. 

22 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

I was just commenting on the lack of blues guitarists these days. Everything seems to come under the new country umbrella which spills into Americana. Pop, rock and every other label under the sun. 

Eric Gales, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, Gary Clark Jr, Christone Ingram (Kingfish), Warren Haynes, Marcus King, Josh Smith, Kirk Fletcher, Kenny Wayne Shepherd,..... Fecking millions of them. 

N Lincs Jambo

Anybody mentioned Roddy Frame from Aztec Camera yet? He could play!

I don't think he's been mentioned but the the greatest Dobro/Lap Steel player ever, Mr Jerry Douglas.

Oh and without a shadow of a doubt, Guthrie Govan. Not always my cup of tea all that shreddy shit but **** me the boy can play the Guitfiddle. 

gordiegords

Hank Marvin 

Stevie Ray Vaughn 

jonny greenwood

Buckethead

to name but a few!

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think he's been mentioned but the the greatest Dobro/Lap Steel player ever, Mr Jerry Douglas.

He has been a regular contributor to the Transatlantic Sessions. Absolutely brilliant. There’s a wonderful Gaelic song featuring his dobro playing with Julie Fowlis, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Aoife O’Donovan on vocals that always seems to disappear from YouTube when I’m searching for it.

davemclaren

There's no right answer and many mentioned on this thread are certainly great guitar players.  I don't think anyone has mentioned David Lindley ( sadly departed last year ) and I'd include him on any list.  

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There's no right answer and many mentioned on this thread are certainly great guitar players.  I don't think anyone has mentioned David Lindley ( sadly departed last year ) and I'd include him on any list.  

I sort of did by mentioning Bop 'til You Drop by Ry Cooder.

Also I was oddly thinking about this thread walking down the road a minute ago and...Chuck Berry. A man who changed the way guitars were used in pop music. 

davemclaren
Just now, Tazio said:

Also I was oddly thinking about this thread walking down the road a minute ago and...Chuck Berry. A man who changed the way guitars were used in pop music. 

Horrible person apparently but certainly an important guy in the history of guitar. 

joondalupjambo
On 11/01/2024 at 10:07, leginten said:

Two of the first gigs I ever saw were Ten Years After and Rory Gallagher, both at the Caley Cinema on Lothian Road.

I went to see them back in the 70's but my memory must be playing tricks.  I thought I saw them at the Empire in Edinburgh?

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

I went to see them back in the 70's but my memory must be playing tricks.  I thought I saw them at the Empire in Edinburgh?

Anyway add in Zal Clemison.

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

They may well have played both. I’m actually now thinking I saw Rory Gallagher twice at the Caley!

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

This thread sent me to Rolling Stone’s list of the 250 greatest guitarists of all time - obviously both highly subjective and heavily weighted towards the USA.

Apart from my embarrassment at how many people I’d never heard of, it was interesting to see that Chuck Berry came in at no.2.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, leginten said:

They may well have played both. I’m actually now thinking I saw Rory Gallagher twice at the Caley!

Probably as both were very popular back in the day.  More likely to be the Caley you saw them.  That was a popular venue along with the Empire and the Ocean.  Moot the Hoople supported by, wait for it, drum roll, Queen played there.

Roxy Hearts
17 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Horrible person apparently but certainly an important guy in the history of guitar. 

Ry Cooder's soundtrack for the film Southem Comfort is brilliant. Good film at the time too.

Allen Collins. Skynyrd. Knebworth. 1976. For me, the best version of Freebird live with Allen shredding it. I guess there are technically better guitarists but I see this performance as a work of art. 

The best guitar intro ever IMO. Alvin Lee nails it from the start......and this is the short version...  .🤪

12 hours ago, leginten said:

He had a piano player called Lou who was apparently a bit of a tea-leaf according to my auld man. 

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, Vansen said:

Allen Collins. Skynyrd. Knebworth. 1976. For me, the best version of Freebird live with Allen shredding it. I guess there are technically better guitarists but I see this performance as a work of art. 

I absolutely love that video. You get the impression that if Van Zant hadn't called time when he did that Allen Collins would still be up there soloing away!

58 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He had a piano player called Lou who was apparently a bit of a tea-leaf according to my auld man. 

Lou Martin.

35 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I absolutely love that video. You get the impression that if Van Zant hadn't called time when he did that Allen Collins would still be up there soloing away!

Hand on the shoulder while Allen just about to crank into another solo 😁 

22 minutes ago, micole said:

Lou Martin.

His memory must be good because that must've been late 60's early 70's. I'm sure he worked behind the bar at one of the venues and caught him dipping folks jacket pockets for wallets.