Using your Firestick in a Travelodge/Premier Inn.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Looking for some advice folks, I'll be going away for work this month and staying in a Travelodge/Premier Inn for two weeks. I'm planning to take my Firestick to increase my evening viewing options but I wanted to find out if it'll definitely work. 

My main concerns are that the WiFi signal won't be strong enough in the room, or the tellys will be so old and lo-tech that they won't have an HDMI slot. 

I'm assuming folk will have tried it before, so can anyone let me know whether I'm likely to be successful with it?

hughesie27

You've pretty much nailed it.  Will depend on how the TVs are in the room too in terms of accessibility to the rear. 

It's been a while but i've often taken a firestick when travelling. TV will have an HDMI port but access to it is the issue esp with wall mounted tvs. The other thing is that firestick needs more power than an hdmi port provides so you need a power point close by too. Where there's a will there's a way though, it's never stumped me completely.

I use the hotspot on my phone find it’s the best internet connection available most of the time.

Need an extension for your firestick hdmi connection as most tellys in travel lodges can't be moved away from the wall

jack D and coke

Their WiFi will block it bud. It won’t be strong enough either. 
Get your service on an iPad or tablet and use your 4/5G. 

Last time I was in a premier inn ,the HDMI port was on the wall next to the sockets above the desk.....just put the HDMI cable between my lads laptop and the wall connection and watched the champions league games....just means you taking an HDMI cable with you as well

6 minutes ago, moz said:

Last time I was in a premier inn ,the HDMI port was on the wall next to the sockets above the desk.....just put the HDMI cable between my lads laptop and the wall connection and watched the champions league games....just means you taking an HDMI cable with you as well

Was just about to post that. 

Thunder and Lightning
22 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Need an extension for your firestick hdmi connection as most tellys in travel lodges can't be moved away from the wall

Many have a port below the tv somewhere on the wall that connects to the HDMI port.

The jj era

If it helps, most IPTV providers ( assuming that's what you're running on the fire stick) can also provide an ios or android app to stream from your phone or tablet/ipad.  Might be a good alternative 

Mysterion
32 minutes ago, moz said:

^^ This - port should be on the wall above the desk. 

Connect to a phone hotspot and it should work best. Wifi in these places is free/garbage or you need to pay for a premium version.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

It's been a while but i've often taken a firestick when travelling. TV will have an HDMI port but access to it is the issue esp with wall mounted tvs. The other thing is that firestick needs more power than an hdmi port provides so you need a power point close by too. Where there's a will there's a way though, it's never stumped me completely.

There's an adapter available for firesticks that you can connect to the TV's USB port for power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078KSHVCS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Their WiFi will block it bud. It won’t be strong enough either. 
Get your service on an iPad or tablet and use your 4/5G. 

This, or on your phone and cast it to the telly in the room. I do this all over the world.

It worked no bother in the last premier inn I stayed in. USB into the tv for power, connect to HDMI. Wifi was great and didn’t buffer once. 

38 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There's an adapter available for firesticks that you can connect to the TV's USB port for power.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078KSHVCS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

What does that adapter actually do ? As I connect the usb straight to the firestick without any adapter. 

Edit: From reading the reviews sometimes the usb at the back of the tv hasn’t enough power so it acts as a power bank I think giving you enough power to run the firestick. Decent idea if I’ve got that right. 

Edited by Dazo

24 minutes ago, Dazo said:

What does that adapter actually do ? As I connect the usb straight to the firestick without any adapter. 

Edit: From reading the reviews sometimes the usb at the back of the tv hasn’t enough power so it acts as a power bank I think giving you enough power to run the firestick. Decent idea if I’ve got that right. 

Normally your Firestick would need to be connected to your TV's HDMI slot, while also having a USB cable running from the Firestick to a power supply.

This removes the need to have the USB cable running to a power supply, instead drawing the power needed from the TV's USB slot. Handy if there's not an available power outlet nearby.

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Normally your Firestick would need to be connected to your TV's HDMI slot, while also having a USB cable running from the Firestick to a power supply.

This removes the need to have the USB cable running to a power supply, instead drawing the power needed from the TV's USB slot. Handy if there's not an available power outlet nearby.

Thats my point above, if the tv usb supports enough power output you don’t need a power outlet anyway. Obviously most older/cheaper tv’s may not provide usb ports with enough power so I assume this adapter does away with that issue. It must act almost like a power bank and outputs the required power to the firestick. As I said good idea if you don’t have usb 3 or a usb port that outputs 5v 1a already on your tv. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 hour ago, Zico said:

It worked no bother in the last premier inn I stayed in. USB into the tv for power, connect to HDMI. Wifi was great and didn’t buffer once. 

That's good to hear, hopefully that's the case for me too. 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Sorry to bring this up again lads. It worked fine in the first week but I'm in a different hotel now and this one won't let me connect. Well, it won't let me sign in to the hotel's WiFi. I've used my email address and a passcode they gave me in order to connect my phone, but when I try to use the same info to connect the Firestick, it does absolutely nothing. 

Any ideas?

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Sorry to bring this up again lads. It worked fine in the first week but I'm in a different hotel now and this one won't let me connect. Well, it won't let me sign in to the hotel's WiFi. I've used my email address and a passcode they gave me in order to connect my phone, but when I try to use the same info to connect the Firestick, it does absolutely nothing. 

Any ideas?

Why don’t you just connect the firestick Wi-Fi to your phone

luckyBatistuta
23 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Any ideas?

Why don’t you just connect the firestick Wi-Fi to your phone. Create a hotspot from your phone.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Sooperstar
On 09/01/2024 at 14:43, Ray Gin said:

I've never had an issue just plugging my Firestick into the TV USB port for power using the standard kit which comes with the Firestick. Always just assumed that's what everyone does. 

36 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I've never had an issue just plugging my Firestick into the TV USB port for power using the standard kit which comes with the Firestick. Always just assumed that's what everyone does. 

It doesn't work on either of mine without the kit.

Edited by Ray Gin

hughesie27

Not all TV USB ports are made equal. It will work with some and not others.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
18 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Why don’t you just connect the firestick Wi-Fi to your phone. Create a hotspot from your phone.

I'm embarrassingly clueless in this department, I tried to create a hotspot but it said to turn the WiFi off on my phone and that it would use my data? I only have like 4 gig of data and it would burn through that in no time. 

hughesie27
52 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I'm embarrassingly clueless in this department, I tried to create a hotspot but it said to turn the WiFi off on my phone and that it would use my data? I only have like 4 gig of data and it would burn through that in no time. 

You made the right call! 

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You made the right call! 

This is getting intriguing…whoever could he have called🤔

1 hour ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Wise move

JimmyCant

Quite a few hotel chains disable the HDMI slots on their TV stock for this very reason. Dunno if Premier Inn do it.

Best solution I’ve found is load your ‘app’ onto a decent tablet and watch that way 

Jim_Duncan

I got barred after asking the receptionist at a Premier Inn if she could help me find a place to slot my firestick.

frankblack
4 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I got barred after asking the receptionist at a Premier Inn if she could help me find a place to slot my firestick.

Was "barred" a code word for lifted? 🤔🤣

Mackem Midlothian

Fiddling with your firestick in a hotel...

:oohmatron:

Edited by Mackem Midlothian

Jim_Duncan
On 30/01/2024 at 20:00, frankblack said:

Was "barred" a code word for lifted? 🤔🤣

Still on the register, mate.