Another sporting legend dies.

John Findlay

John Findlay

Probably the finest Rugby Union full back to play the game in the United Kingdom has sadly died. JPR Williams of Wales and the Lions. What a player he was.

RIP JPR. One of the greatest.

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Probably the finest Rugby Union full back to play the game in the United Kingdom has sadly died. JPR Williams of Wales and the Lions. What a player he was.

Sad news, a real iconic player.

The Goalscoring Knee

A great, great player. And another very tough man.

image.jpeg.1e315f90987f2835cbe976ea12459fe3.jpeg

Got trampled by a scummy All Black when playing for Bridgend. Went off, had 30 stitches put in, came back on.

Don't make 'em like that anymore.

SwindonJambo

Also a member of the Royal College of Surgeons and a fine orthopedic surgeon.

RIP Dr JPR.

132goals1958

An iconic figure. Still visualise him running through opponents with socks at his ankles. 

leginten
17 minutes ago, trotter said:

Franz Beckenbauer as well :(

A sad day. 

JPR was a magnificent rugby player. Absolutely fearless. He was one of the greatest players in a team so good that it was universally admired, regardless of national allegiance.

I just hate it when these legends that were such a big part of my youth keep dropping like flies. Today’s losses were just in their seventies, too.

Percival King

Huge sideburns and socks round ankles, one of the most memorable images from the 70s. 

A stunning passage of play from a legendary match between the Barbarians and the All Blacks in 1973.  Bear in mind that this is regarded as only the second-best try scored in that game.

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

A stunning passage of play from a legendary match between the Barbarians and the All Blacks in 1973.  Bear in mind that this is regarded as only the second-best try scored in that game.

Stunning indeed. You seldom see play like that in the modern game. It seems to be mostly just big beefcakes knocking shit out of each other.

Dr JPR himself said  that he's glad he had his playing time when he did, even though obviously still  amateur back then.

http://www.village-directory.co.uk/february_2017/six-nations.htm

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Amen. 

I loved Barry John & JPR.

It's almost impossible to measure their talent now, so much time had passed.

JPR : a true legend. 

2 hours ago, leginten said:

A sad day. 

JPR was a magnificent rugby player. Absolutely fearless. He was one of the greatest players in a team so good that it was universally admired, regardless of national allegiance.

I just hate it when these legends that were such a big part of my youth keep dropping like flies. Today’s losses were just in their seventies, too.

What a rotten day to lose two such great figures and the bit in bold brings the cold sweat out in me how close to that age I am getting

56 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Stunning indeed. You seldom see play like that in the modern game. It seems to be mostly just big beefcakes knocking shit out of each other.

Dr JPR himself said  that he's glad he had his playing time when he did, even though obviously still  amateur back then.

http://www.village-directory.co.uk/february_2017/six-nations.htm

Good interview.  Rugby union was much more expansive then than now, and players had more space.  When it was stodgy it could be awful, but when it was good it was magic.

joondalupjambo

If I was a sporting legend I would be worried today as things always happen in three's.  JPR, Franz and........

👀

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

If I was a sporting legend I would be worried today as things always happen in three's.  JPR, Franz and........

👀

He was the third one. Mario Zagallo first. 

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

At least Zagallo got to 92. The other 2 much younger with Dr JPR a bit short changed at 74.

It was bacterial meningitis which got him, a horrid illness than can take down otherwise healthy people in short order.

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Also a member of the Royal College of Surgeons and a fine orthopedic surgeon.

RIP Dr JPR.

A pal had his tonsils taken out by JPR in '78.

I started going to the internationals in '73 when Wales had JPR whilst our full-back hero was Andy Irvine. We weren't supposed to like the opposition but you couldn't help but admire JPR (and Phil Bennett), with his massive mutton chops and the way his hair flowed as he pulled of outrageous sidesteps at speed (see the Baa-baa's video clip).

I'm trying to think of other sports personalities known only by their initials. Would KJ-T count?

joondalupjambo
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Aye forgot about him so all other legends stand down.

SwindonJambo
20 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

A pal had his tonsils taken out by JPR in '78.

I started going to the internationals in '73 when Wales had JPR whilst our full-back hero was Andy Irvine. We weren't supposed to like the opposition but you couldn't help but admire JPR (and Phil Bennett), with his massive mutton chops and the way his hair flowed as he pulled of outrageous sidesteps at speed (see the Baa-baa's video clip).

I'm trying to think of other sports personalities known only by their initials. Would KJ-T count?

I'm 56 so only caught the later end of JPR's career. I've always believed that the true sporting greats are those as much admired by opponents as supporters and that certainly applies to all 3 of 2024's big early losses. 

I noticed on old commentaries of JPR's early career he was referred to as John Williams. I expect he became JPR to distinguish him from his Wales team mate, also John Williams, later known as JJ Williams.

Yes, I think KJ-T just about counts, even though I had to google her!