Ship cruise to Norway

Spitonastranger

Spitonastranger

Hi 

Going on our first cruise at the end of April. Does anyone have any tips for me, things to take or not take etc. TIA 👍

indianajones

Take money. Plenty of it! Expensive country. 

One of the most beautiful places on Earth imo. You'll love it. 

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Spitonastranger said:

Hi 

Going on our first cruise at the end of April. Does anyone have any tips for me, things to take or not take etc. TIA 👍

Magnetic hooks. Stick them to the ceiling and hang stuff from them. Not much storage space in a cabin. Also, slide your cases under the bed to keep them out the way. most cabin beds have room for that.

Drinks packages. Honestly asses what you will drink each day and bear in mind everyone in the cabin has to buy the same package. Usually not worth getting the package unless you’re both bevvy merchants

Excursions. Don’t do the ships own if there is a close local alternative to get where you want to go. Research Research Research will save you a fortune.

Try to stay mid ship low down when picking your cabin

inspector
2 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Hi 

Thinking of doing the same. Which company are you going with?

Spitonastranger
19 minutes ago, inspector said:

Thinking of doing the same. Which company are you going with?

Fred olsen 

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Hi 

A big coat, might be cauld.

Der Kaiser

Has your other half taken any large life insurance policies out recently? If so.....stay back from the railings.....

Spitonastranger
3 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Has your other half taken any large life insurance policies out recently? If so.....stay back from the railings.....

She's worth a lot more than me 😉

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Magnetic hooks. Stick them to the ceiling and hang stuff from them. Not much storage space in a cabin. Also, slide your cases under the bed to keep them out the way. most cabin beds have room for that.

Drinks packages. Honestly asses what you will drink each day and bear in mind everyone in the cabin has to buy the same package. Usually not worth getting the package unless you’re both bevvy merchants

Excursions. Don’t do the ships own if there is a close local alternative to get where you want to go. Research Research Research will save you a fortune.

Try to stay mid ship low down when picking your cabin

These especially.

3 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Hi 

What's your itinerary?

the sub goalie

We’re booked up for our first cruise, round the Med with P&O this summer.

Think we’re going to get the drink package as will hopefully reduce any nasty surprises when settling up at the end.  That along with the WiFi packages, supplements in restaurants and da trips it certainly not a cheap holiday.

Spellczech

Watch out for big waves.  Don't go swimming even if the sea looks nice

Edited by Spellczech

Hi 

No tips other than money already mentioned, it is expensive. Very beautiful country, the fjords etc I visited ports for work mid 2000s, was breath taking when we were sailing in. I was just a cadet so I had no responsibilities and got to take everything in. Hope you love it 👍

5 minutes ago, the sub goalie said:

Think we’re going to get the drink package as will hopefully reduce any nasty surprises when settling up at the end.  That along with the WiFi packages, supplements in restaurants and da trips it certainly not a cheap holiday.

Probably a good call. I’ve never done a cruise as it isn’t my thing but a few years ago did a fortnight in the Maldives and everything went on your room’s tab. We were sensible and settled up at the front desk every couple of days but some people just settled up at the end of their time here. There were several people who turned grey when they were handed the charges not realising they were in to the tune of several hundred pounds minimum. 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, the sub goalie said:

Think we’re going to get the drink package as will hopefully reduce any nasty surprises when settling up at the end.  That along with the WI-FI  packages, supplements in restaurants and da trips it certainly not a cheap holiday.

I’m off round the med in October for two weeks….first time on a cruise.

Get one of these for Wi-Fi:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=data+sim+card&crid=1D4L1R4YH91Y2&sprefix=euro+data+sim+card%2Caps%2C96&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_18

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Watch out for big waves.  Don't go swimming even if the sea looks nice

And ice bergs 😳

inspector

Fred olsen 

Thanks. That's the one l was looking at as well

Mackem Midlothian
6 hours ago, indianajones said:

Take money. Plenty of it! Expensive country. 

One of the most beautiful places on Earth imo. You'll love it. 

Sounds like I wouldn't be able to afFJORD it.

2 minutes ago, Mackem Midlothian said:

Sounds like I wouldn't be able to afFJORD it.

I was oslo going to say that.

Mackem Midlothian
45 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I was oslo going to say that.

NOrway!

Spitonastranger
5 hours ago, Boof said:

What's your itinerary?

Fjords and waterfalls, stopping at Eidfjord, Olden and Bergen 

maroondevo52

Went with P&O about 6 years ago, loved every minute, especially the food you could have whenever you wanted without costing any extra.

Fjords ect are wonderful, we also stopped in Olden and Bergen, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

One thing I was surprised about was how calm it was on the ship, maybe we were just lucky.

If you'r going to see any of the shows on board get there early.

Gilberts Fridge

Switch your roaming off at sea. There is an on board phone signal that is not linked to any roaming deals. Costs a fortune even just receiving texts. 

If you have a window or balcony cabin, leave your curtains open, waking up with the fjord going by was amazing. 

The only cruise we have ever done. When we did it on P&O we had a blast and i'd go back in a heart beat. Enjoy. 

cosanostra

Never really had much interest in cruises but the Norwegian fjords and Alaskan coast look incredible. Heard cruise liners may be the best way to travel those areas.

Maybe one day. Anyone ever done the Alaskan one?

John Findlay

Enjoy it. A beautiful part of the world.

Tromso above the arctic circle and Trondheim are beautiful cities so hope one or both are on your iternary.

Fire_At_The_Disco

Done about 16 cruises, I love them but Norway was one of the most stunning places I’ve ever been too, the Fjord's are amazing ….take plenty of cash if your heading into pubs etc 

IMG_5869.jpeg

23 hours ago, the sub goalie said:

Did a P&O cruise with the in-laws a few years ago, on Azura. Only take the drinks package if you're going to get merry with it every day. And don't feel pressured to do the excursions, they're pretty extortionate.

In terms of the restaurants, we ate in Peninsular (I think that was the name, I forget) pretty much every night and it was fantastic. Included in the price so you don't need to add extra to eat in there. Places like Sindhu and the Beach Hut are good too but those are extra on top. Enjoy your days at sea because those were the best days to relax, every day in port was pretty mad for us to fit in as much as possible. Best holiday I've ever had.

Fire_At_The_Disco
8 minutes ago, Bender said:

Did a P&O cruise with the in-laws a few years ago, on Azura. Only take the drinks package if you're going to get merry with it every day. And don't feel pressured to do the excursions, they're pretty extortionate.

In terms of the restaurants, we ate in Peninsular (I think that was the name, I forget) pretty much every night and it was fantastic. Included in the price so you don't need to add extra to eat in there. Places like Sindhu and the Beach Hut are good too but those are extra on top. Enjoy your days at sea because those were the best days to relax, every day in port was pretty mad for us to fit in as much as possible. Best holiday I've ever had.

Love the sea days as they usually have a poker tourney. Got down to the last 2 of the last one I played, had double the chips of the woman that was left. The pot was £860 and I offered her to split, she said no and went on to absolutely rinse me with an all-in straight off a 7-10 😂 

18 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Fjords and waterfalls, stopping at Eidfjord, Olden and Bergen 

Olden: If you get the chance to visit the Briksdal glacier - go for it

Bergen: Try to get off the ship as early as you can. Bryggen is worth a look (very touristy-oriented, but the auld wooden hooses are bonny), someone else has already suggested the  Fløibanen funicular and you can have a dander around the top. Lunch in the fish market.
And you could always visit Roald Kniksen Jensen outside Brann Stadion.

image.png.f131921fdb275559f8d738a87410f0d3.png

And just a general observation - if you're taking a camera (and why wouldn't you?) take more spare SD cards than you think you'll need :) 

1 minute ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Love the sea days as they usually have a poker tourney. Got down to the last 2 of the last one I played, had double the chips of the woman that was left. The pot was £860 and I offered her to split, she said no and went on to absolutely rinse me with an all-in straight off a 7-10 😂 

There was a pool tourney on one of our sea days, which was some laugh when you're rocking from side to side with a 1m swell :laugh: 

inspector
5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Never really had much interest in cruises but the Norwegian fjords and Alaskan coast look incredible. Heard cruise liners may be the best way to travel those areas.

Maybe one day. Anyone ever done the Alaskan one?

Been there and done that. Absolutely fantastic. Highly recommend

cosanostra
Just now, inspector said:

Been there and done that. Absolutely fantastic. Highly recommend

How many days and how many ports / stops? What were the best ports?

Thanks

inspector
19 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

How many days and how many ports / stops? What were the best ports?

Thanks

Iirc 6 or 7 nights. We stopped at Juneau(canoeing on a glacial lake), Skagway( old timer train up White Horse pass then panning for gold) , the Ketchiken( accompanied walk through the coastal rainforest). The cruise also cruised up a glacial inlet where the ship turned on its axis at the head of the inlet allowing everyone a good view of the calving glacier at the top end without having to keep running back and forward. Of all the ports visited, l enjoyed Skagway the most. All places were very touristy . The ship we were on was one of the Holland America fleet ad we found it excellent, the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Would recommend

cosanostra
21 minutes ago, inspector said:

Iirc 6 or 7 nights. We stopped at Juneau(canoeing on a glacial lake), Skagway( old timer train up White Horse pass then panning for gold) , the Ketchiken( accompanied walk through the coastal rainforest). The cruise also cruised up a glacial inlet where the ship turned on its axis at the head of the inlet allowing everyone a good view of the calving glacier at the top end without having to keep running back and forward. Of all the ports visited, l enjoyed Skagway the most. All places were very touristy . The ship we were on was one of the Holland America fleet ad we found it excellent, the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Would recommend

Really not a cruise guy but that sounds seriously interesting. Always been fascinated with Alaska and the far north.

JudyJudyJudy
On 06/01/2024 at 12:24, Harry Potter said:

A big coat, might be cauld.

Lol 

inspector
2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Really not a cruise guy but that sounds seriously interesting. Always been fascinated with Alaska and the far north.

I was in two minds as well but did not regret it.

• 2 weeks later...
the sub goalie

Our cruise round the Med stops at the below ports, for anyone that’s been are they fairly central if we didn’t want to do the organised trips and fancied pottering around.

La Coruna

Mallorca

La Spezia

Marseille

Barcelona

Cadiz

Reading the reviews of the organised trips, they don’t sound that great. So we quite fancy doing our own thing when on land.

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, the sub goalie said:

Our cruise round the Med stops at the below ports, for anyone that’s been are they fairly central if we didn’t want to do the organised trips and fancied pottering around.

La Coruna

Mallorca

La Spezia

Marseille

Barcelona

Cadiz

Reading the reviews of the organised trips, they don’t sound that great. So we quite fancy doing our own thing when on land.

I’m doing 14 nights in the med in October…..easier just to find a local guide to pick you up at half the ship excursion price or, do yon city open red top busses….hop on hop off, they all seem to pass cruise ports as well so easy to sort out.

I did the Oslo to Bergen train.

A stunning journey.

I would imagine a Cruise will be the same.

Bergen is a beautiful city.Expensive but stunning.

joondalupjambo

When I went I did not appreciate that you go across the North Sea and not with it.  Some old sea dog told me that after the trip.

Needless to say that I was sick as for hours going and again on the way back.

Never been on a cruise ship since and never will be.

Obviously that is just me.  In fairness it was a long time ago and guess these big cruise ships are better designed now bit ain't taking the chance 🙂

When we got there though it was fantastic.  We did Bergen, up a few fjords, Flam railway etc.  Loved it.

Edited by joondalupjambo