Holiday in Canada

Boof

Hoping to go in the summer for 4 or so weeks.

Musts are Victoria + Vancouver Island, a Toronto Blue Jays game (which should make Niagara Falls do-able, possibly Kelowna while in BC. 

What else would anyone recommend.

Early stages of planning so not sure if driving, flying, train, bus between places. Maybe some time spent in USA too? 

Recommend Whistler, brilliant biking in the summer.

South of Vancouver, Seattle isn't far, a good road trip and fun city to eat out, drink. The Seattle market is a good experience.

Stuart Lyon

Niagara, apart from the Falls,is like Lourdes and EH to some extent I.e. full of crap tourist shops. Niagara on the Lake is a beautiful town well worth a visit. Blue Jay’s game is a good experience especially from one of the restaurants that have a view of the game. Ice hockey too is a good experience but the Leafs haven’t done much despite spending shitloads of money.  Collingwood north of Toronto has an Elvis convention which is very entertaining! Wasaga beach is also a great place.

hope this helps - have a great trip.

Getting the train across Canada is on my bucket list to do as I’ve done it in the US. Though I think a fair bit will be boring prairies before the amazing part across the Rockies. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Getting the train across Canada is on my bucket list to do as I’ve done it in the US. Though I think a fair bit will be boring prairies before the amazing part across the Rockies. 

Aye, was just wondering how boring the prairies would actually be. If it's hour upon hour of flatness that'd be a day or two wasted if I could fly over 'em from, say Toronto - Calgary then Rocky Mountain it to Vancouver.

WorldChampions1902
54 minutes ago, Boof said:

Musts are Victoria + Vancouver Island, a Toronto Blue Jays game (which should make Niagara Falls do-able, possibly Kelowna while in BC. 

Early stages of planning so not sure if driving, flying, train, bus between places. Maybe some time spent in USA too? 

Went to Vancouver, Kelowna, Golden, Vernon, Squamish, Whistler and a whole lot more about 6 years ago. Brother in law and sister in law volunteered to do all the driving over the three weeks we were there. The hire car covered more than 5000 miles in three weeks and we stayed in Air B N B’s. It was an incredible holiday but the mileage was mental. Unsurprisingly, we ended up in a car accident and the car was written off. Fortunately, all 6 of us were ok.

If I was doing it again, I would definitely drastically reduce the driving and use train. It’s an incredible country with mind blowing scenery. You will absolutely love it!

Vlad Magic
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Vancouver Island to Niagra falls is 4500km. Opposite sides of the country.

Just bare that in mind. Canada is vast!!!

You should consider either taking a shorter flight and covering the East first (Niagra, Toronto, American cities such as New York) and then heading West.

Or do it the other way round and take a longer flight into Vancouver and work your way East. Start in Vancouver, Vancouver Island (amazing by the way) maybe drop down into Seattle or Washington? 

I would suggest it’s definitely a trip of 2 halves East and West.

What you do in each is up to you and how you start and end is also up to you but the options are many.

Im jealous👍

Maple Leaf

Your trip sounds great.

There are lots of good suggestions so far.  As previously mentioned, Canada is a vast country, and the driving distance between Toronto and Vancouver is about 4,500 km, most of which is in the USA.  The prairies are as flat as the ocean, so bear that in mind if you're looking for a scenic experience.  A train trip across the prairies would be as exciting as a rainy weekend in Glasgow.

Southern BC is beautiful, especially Vancouver Island.

A Blue Jays game is a must if you're in Toronto.  Baseball can be boring on TV, but it's lively and fun if you're there in person.  The city of Niagara Falls is chintzy, but the Falls themselves are worth seeing, so that should definitely be on your agenda.

I live in southern Ontario.  When you get closer to the date let me know id you need any advice or assistance.

Салатные палочки

Thought that said Holiday in Cambodia when I first read it. 

Maple Leaf
22 minutes ago, Салатные палочки said:

Thought that said Holiday in Cambodia when I first read it. 

Much smaller country.  :wink:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

A Blue Jays game is a must if you're in Toronto.  Baseball can be boring on TV, but it's lively and fun if you're there in person.  The city of Niagara Falls is chintzy, but the Falls themselves are worth seeing, so that should definitely be on your agenda.

Love it even on telly! Only drawback is the time difference. And they're on a west coast visit for the time I was initially planning being around so I may have to do the west first then head east!

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I live in southern Ontario.  When you get closer to the date let me know id you need any advice or assistance.

Cheers, will do.

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Same. I've done the California Zephyr (56 hours Chicago - Emeryville), the Sunset Limited (38 hours LA to Houston) and the Empire Builder (46 hours Chicago to Seattle). Bloody fantastic. The Rocky Mountineer and Canadian are on my list, but sweet Jesus they are pricey!!

2 minutes ago, trotter said:

Same. I've done the California Zephyr (56 hours Chicago - Emeryville), the Sunset Limited (38 hours LA to Houston) and the Empire Builder (46 hours Chicago to Seattle). Bloody fantastic. The Rocky Mountineer and Canadian are on my list, but sweet Jesus they are pricey!!

I did LA - New York via Chicago. Fantastic as you go through desert, then up through the centre seeing it change constantly to prairies. After Chicago I opted for the service that went north and then down through New York State as opposed to across to Pennsylvania and up. I didn’t go for a cabin so in 2007 it cost $140 and the exchange rate was exactly $2 - £1 so a bargain. Massive comfy reclining seats so sleeping wasn’t a problem which is just as well as it was around 72 hours total. Loved sitting in the observation car watching America slip past. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I did LA - New York via Chicago. Fantastic as you go through desert, then up through the centre seeing it change constantly to prairies. After Chicago I opted for the service that went north and then down through New York State as opposed to across to Pennsylvania and up. I didn’t go for a cabin so in 2007 it cost $140 and the exchange rate was exactly $2 - £1 so a bargain. Massive comfy reclining seats so sleeping wasn’t a problem which is just as well as it was around 72 hours total. Loved sitting in the observation car watching America slip past. 

Exactly how I've described it to friends. Sit back, put your feet up, grab a drink and watch America go by. 

I'm actually planning a trip for later this year. Texas Eagle (Austin/Dallas to Chicago), Lake Shore Limited (Chicago to NYC - incidentally the I think you might have taken), and the Silver Meteor (NYC to Miami). Will take a week, spend the weekend in Miami then fly back to Houston. 

Pricing it out, not including hotels, it's about $2k for a cabin. Well worth it I think. 👌 

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Boof said:

Aye, was just wondering how boring the prairies would actually be. If it's hour upon hour of flatness that'd be a day or two wasted if I could fly over 'em from, say Toronto - Calgary then Rocky Mountain it to Vancouver.

It's boring, VERY boring (did a drive down from Calgary to Montana and also Calgary into Sakatchewan for work ) endless miles of nothing. 

I'd defo recommend flying into Calgary (maybe on the homeward leg) and driving up to Banff & beyond : that's where all the best parts of the Rockies are (once met a guy from Colorado  who said Canada got all the best bits from the Rockies). The area between Banff & Jasper is stunning, absolutely stunning. 

Lake Louise, Lake Peyto, Banff (the gondola/cable car ride) , the glaciers around Jasper , the drive from Banff to Jasper (Icefields Parkway is really spectacular in parts).  I've been lucky enough to visit that area twice (in summer & spring) and it is amazing. 

periodictabledancer
12 minutes ago, trotter said:

Exactly how I've described it to friends. Sit back, put your feet up, grab a drink and watch America go by. 

I'm actually planning a trip for later this year. Texas Eagle (Austin/Dallas to Chicago), Lake Shore Limited (Chicago to NYC - incidentally the I think you might have taken), and the Silver Meteor (NYC to Miami). Will take a week, spend the weekend in Miami then fly back to Houston. 

Pricing it out, not including hotels, it's about $2k for a cabin. Well worth it I think. 👌 

I've boomarked this for later, never heard of them but they look great VFM when you look at what the Rocky Mountaineer costs. We're thinking about a final US trip next year (getting too old for fly drive). 😄

Edited by periodictabledancer

5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I've boomarked this for later, never heard of them but they look great VFM when you look at what the Rocky Mountaineer costs. We're thinking about a final US trip next year (getting too old for fly drive). 😄

It's not exactly a fair comparison admittedly, both the RM and the Canadian are basically a 5 star hotel on wheels. Factor in that you get an afternoon/night in both Chicago and NYC (both brilliant, brilliant cities) and the appeal factor goes up. 

One thing worth checking PTD, towards the end of last year Amtrak were offering a rail pass which if memory serves was valid for 10 journeys. I haven't checked recently so don't know if it's still out there, but for about $1k you can pick and choose your journeys. Coach only obviously, so no cabin, but as Tazio says, the coach seats are excellent. 

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, trotter said:

It's not exactly a fair comparison admittedly, both the RM and the Canadian are basically a 5 star hotel on wheels. Factor in that you get an afternoon/night in both Chicago and NYC (both brilliant, brilliant cities) and the appeal factor goes up. 

One thing worth checking PTD, towards the end of last year Amtrak were offering a rail pass which if memory serves was valid for 10 journeys. I haven't checked recently so don't know if it's still out there, but for about $1k you can pick and choose your journeys. Coach only obviously, so no cabin, but as Tazio says, the coach seats are excellent. 

Do NOT tell my missus !!😄

Cheers for the tips, much appreciated

Just now, periodictabledancer said:

Do NOT tell my missus !!😄

Cheers for the tips, much appreciated

🤣👌 I'll keep shtoom. Happy to help.

flogel41

If you are in Vancouver and like baseball I’d recommend a visit to Vancouver Canadians game, lovely stadium. Could also fit in a wee side trip to the ?van drusen botanic gardens on the way. 

Vlad Magic

If you stay in Vancouver whatever you do don’t stay at the Hotel Patricia.

We very nearly did but warned off it by some friends who lived locally. Just for a laugh we did a drive by to see if it was as bad as they described it. It was and worse!!

If you want a laugh just google Hotel Patricia Vancouver reviews. Some are priceless!!

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, Tazio said:

Mine too . Plus the trans Siberian express and the orient express . 

inspector
13 hours ago, EH11 said:

Recommend Whistler, brilliant biking in the summer.

South of Vancouver, Seattle isn't far, a good road trip and fun city to eat out, drink. The Seattle market is a good experience.

Flew to Vancouver a few years ago. Did the Alaskan cruise from there then took the Greyhound bus to Seattle. Spent 4 days there then took the catamaran ferry up to Vancouver Island then back to Vancouver. Loved every minute. Two great cities with plenty to do in each

Would definitely include the Rockies in your trip if possible @Boof  I'd also suggest a hire car rather than train as you get so much more flexibility. Give me a shout if you need any further info. We hired a car in Vancouver, spent a few days on the Island (Tofino a must), them took our time through the Rockies to Calgary. Just remember the park charges when working out a budget.

Spellczech

Hope you get a good summer as I lived in Vancouver for 2 years and got one hot summer and one wet one. The hot one was way better as there are city centre beaches!

My mate Paul owns the Tripadvisor no1 ranked guesthouse in Vancouver. 

3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

If you stay in Vancouver whatever you do don’t stay at the Hotel Patricia.

We very nearly did but warned off it by some friends who lived locally. Just for a laugh we did a drive by to see if it was as bad as they described it. It was and worse!!

If you want a laugh just google Hotel Patricia Vancouver reviews. Some are priceless!!

"Unless your writing a screenplay for Night of the Living Dead,and need inspiration, I couldn't recommend this hotel."

"The lobby smelled like someone had farted themselves to death and the room smelled like cheap air freshener."

"The elevator smelled like rancid feces, and there was shit in our toilet when we got into our room. I think this may be blood splatter on the green carpet."

"It's perfect" :cornette_dog:

highlandjambo3
17 hours ago, Tazio said:

I did a short 3 hour train trip from Jasper up to McBride and I must say the Rockies train trip brochure showing the train hurtling through the mountains with a forest on each side look fantastic however, take into account that picture was probably taken from a helicopter or drone……

This was the view out the left and right side of the train:

yes the Rockies are there somewhere 😂

IMG_1346.jpeg

IMG_1347.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

This was my road trip last September, 18 days in an RV, clocked up 2400km.  It’s fairly expensive food & fuel so be prepared.

Started the journey bottom right side from Calgary (Alberta) then anti clockwise from banff up through Jasper and onwards to McBride (the heart of the Rockies) then turned round and back down the left loop (British Columbia)…..great time.

Hired a helecopter and flew over mount Robson (the highest mountain in the Rockies).  Great holiday as we took fek all to do with anyone else 😂😂😂

IMG_5960.jpeg

IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0425.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

Psychedelicropcircle
17 hours ago, Boof said:

Don’t stay at Niagara Falls stay in the little place niagara on the lake, less blackpooly 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Just remember the park charges when working out a budget.

Yes, you can pay park by park but, for a little extra you can buy an “*any park” ticket, that’s what we did.  You also need to apply for an e visa (electronic visa) to get into the country, it’s a fairly straight forward process and quite quick, you don’t physically get anything to carry as your e-visa will be linked to your passport when you travel through customs.

Be aware that online you’ll see companies offering e-visas service for $70 (that’s what we paid) but, they are actually a subsidiary organisation working on behalf of the Canadian government (perfectly legit), skip them and deal direct for $5 or thereabouts.

* sorry can’t remember what it’s called.

Spellczech
5 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Don’t stay at Niagara Falls stay in the little place niagara on the lake, less blackpooly 

Don't stay at either - day trip it from Toronto.

Have to say though that I preferred both Montreal and Quebec.

Der Kaiser

It's been 17 odd years since I went to Toronto but my baseball steak at The Keg was fantastic.

ArcticJambo

I'd echo those already suggesting a split between East and West by flight.  If you want to drive you'll need a good 3-4 weeks, and I'd drop south into the States between western Ontario and Alberta.

Vancouver (and Seattle) are very expensive, even for basic stuff.  I've been to Vancouver a lot and really don't find it particularly interesting anymore, I mean it's a scenic city, and you can catch a Whitecaps game there, and the BC Lions were reasonable. Head down to East Hastings for a Fentanyl Zombie walking tour - a relatively safe tour look at one of North America's desperate drug crises.

Victoria is a bit twee but pleasant enough. High tea at The Empress but unfortuantely it's not what it used to be, a step back into Victorian colonial times. There used to be a good Bug Zoo just round teh corner from the Empress, though I haven't been since my kids were about 8, whihc is sadly a while ago now.

Vancouver Island has some amazing wild walks, especially up the north around Port Hardy, although I've never been brave enough to venture onto any of them! I would however recommend an overnight somewhere along the Pacific Rim National Nature Reserve between Ucluelet and Tofino.  Wichaninnish Beach is top notch, been a couple times, once in April and once in July, both spectacular in different ways. Miles of fantastic beach and clear breaking waves. The ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is meant to be pretty cool, then you could probably drive back down through west central BC to Kelowna (pop in and see auld Bob), and back to Vancouver if that's where you hired from.

Ferries from Vancouver to the island via Victoria, or Nanaimo, or even via Salt Spring Island if you fancy a day there, are frequent and not too bad for cost, although as you'd expect they've increased of late, like everything in Canada.

We (kids and I) were down in Seattle for four nights (drove - easy enough, few hrs) in July. Was maybe marginally cheaper than Vancouver but not by much, still expensive, compared to here I thought. Outwith a few blocks from the market, the place is a bit dodgy tbh, and filthy. I suspect the authorities 'manage' the situation, especially in tourist season. We went to a ball game (vs the Red Sox) and a Sounders Leagues Cup game (vs Monterrey) both of which are played in fantastic stadiums, although we all agreed teh baseball game won outright in terms of entertainment. Maybe because it was novel for them.  Decent prices too, not if you want beer or junk food however.  If you want the other end of the ball park spectrum, check out the Victoria Harbourcats, you can get the best seats in the house, right behind homeplate for 30 bucks! It's fun.

Toronto, personally I wouldn't if I had limits of time/cost etc. It's got the Skydome and CN Tower, and suburbs that go on for miles! Ottawa is a nice 'wee' city that has more of a large town vibe about it. Montreal seems more real.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll have a great time. :thumbsup:

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Been to Nova Scotia twice, just like Scotland and very friendly, got direct flights from Glasgow to Halifax back in the day, highly recommended for a few days.

Jamhammer

We’ll be going in summer for 5th time

Our daughter lives in Burnaby Vancouver agree with most previous 

Whistler is great and road out from Vancouver is amazing

Squamish cool stop en route

Vancouver Island has everything

Victoria is beautiful 

Tofino weird and great for water sports 

Bear in mind there is a minor league baseball team in Vancouver, the Canadians

The Stadium is quality and I’m hoping to catch a game this year 

Id also recommend a wee trip to Seattle 

Enjoy

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Don't stay at either - day trip it from Toronto.

Have to say though that I preferred both Montreal and Quebec.

I would say a day trip isn't long enough to do Niagara Falls and NOTL, if going by public transport.

We got an 8am train to NF from TOR, spent until 5pm in NF, headed up to NOTL and then spent the next morning there before heading back down to NF for the afternoon and then a 5pm train back to TOR. It was quite rushed.

crunchy frog
13 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

I'd echo those already suggesting a split between East and West by flight.  If you want to drive you'll need a good 3-4 weeks, and I'd drop south into the States between western Ontario and Alberta.

Vancouver (and Seattle) are very expensive, even for basic stuff.  I've been to Vancouver a lot and really don't find it particularly interesting anymore, I mean it's a scenic city, and you can catch a Whitecaps game there, and the BC Lions were reasonable. Head down to East Hastings for a Fentanyl Zombie walking tour - a relatively safe tour look at one of North America's desperate drug crises.

Victoria is a bit twee but pleasant enough. High tea at The Empress but unfortuantely it's not what it used to be, a step back into Victorian colonial times. There used to be a good Bug Zoo just round teh corner from the Empress, though I haven't been since my kids were about 8, whihc is sadly a while ago now.

Vancouver Island has some amazing wild walks, especially up the north around Port Hardy, although I've never been brave enough to venture onto any of them! I would however recommend an overnight somewhere along the Pacific Rim National Nature Reserve between Ucluelet and Tofino.  Wichaninnish Beach is top notch, been a couple times, once in April and once in July, both spectacular in different ways. Miles of fantastic beach and clear breaking waves. The ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is meant to be pretty cool, then you could probably drive back down through west central BC to Kelowna (pop in and see auld Bob), and back to Vancouver if that's where you hired from.

Ferries from Vancouver to the island via Victoria, or Nanaimo, or even via Salt Spring Island if you fancy a day there, are frequent and not too bad for cost, although as you'd expect they've increased of late, like everything in Canada.

We (kids and I) were down in Seattle for four nights (drove - easy enough, few hrs) in July. Was maybe marginally cheaper than Vancouver but not by much, still expensive, compared to here I thought. Outwith a few blocks from the market, the place is a bit dodgy tbh, and filthy. I suspect the authorities 'manage' the situation, especially in tourist season. We went to a ball game (vs the Red Sox) and a Sounders Leagues Cup game (vs Monterrey) both of which are played in fantastic stadiums, although we all agreed teh baseball game won outright in terms of entertainment. Maybe because it was novel for them.  Decent prices too, not if you want beer or junk food however.  If you want the other end of the ball park spectrum, check out the Victoria Harbourcats, you can get the best seats in the house, right behind homeplate for 30 bucks! It's fun.

Toronto, personally I wouldn't if I had limits of time/cost etc. It's got the Skydome and CN Tower, and suburbs that go on for miles! Ottawa is a nice 'wee' city that has more of a large town vibe about it. Montreal seems more real.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll have a great time. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your post, interesting info. I've not been to Van/ Van island since 2002 but was talking to the savage beast about taking her this year or next. Sounds like it's got very dear. ( like everywhere else i suppose)

ArcticJambo
6 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Thank you for your post, interesting info. I've not been to Van/ Van island since 2002 but was talking to the savage beast about taking her this year or next. Sounds like it's got very dear. ( like everywhere else i suppose)

No worries, crunchy. BC has always been probably the most expensive province, irrespective of whether you visit Vancouver, especially for accommodation. If you can get something at the lower end In terms of price), then you're golden. Off season will make a big diference, what do they call it, the shoulder season lateMay/ early June and/or late Sep/early Oct should see hotels seem more reasonable at least. And I'd say temp/weather still good, in fact for this heat hater. ideal. :D

Anyway, hope you manage over again, it really is a beautiful part of Canada.

crunchy frog
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

No worries, crunchy. BC has always been probably the most expensive province, irrespective of whether you visit Vancouver, especially for accommodation. If you can get something at the lower end In terms of price), then you're golden. Off season will make a big diference, what do they call it, the shoulder season lateMay/ early June and/or late Sep/early Oct should see hotels seem more reasonable at least. And I'd say temp/weather still good, in fact for this heat hater. ideal. :D

Anyway, hope you manage over again, it really is a beautiful part of Canada.

Cheers man. I spent a week in the Gastown Cambie in January,  wouldn't repeat that experience again, I'll try for something a bit better next time!

ArcticJambo
Just now, crunchy frog said:

Cheers man. I spent a week in the Gastown Cambie in January,  wouldn't repeat that experience again, I'll try for something a bit better next time!

🥺Geez, that area east is mental. :lol:  I mean everybody pretty much keeps to themselves but it's a sad state of affairs, that area. A real eye opener that I'd always suggest folks see for themselves if they feel confident! Transport links are generally pretty good so even suburbs within walking distance of the skyrail works well.  When we do go in can often get in for the day and catch the last ferry back around half 10 from Tswwassen, long day but saves a 200buck hotel night.

highlandjambo3

Watch out for the backwater redneck places……..spotted this sign in Alberta….near Dunster…….”there’s gold in them there hills” type of place 😁

IMG_1412.jpeg

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Watch out for the backwater redneck places……..spotted this sign in Alberta….near Dunster…….”there’s gold in them there hills” type of place 😁

IMG_1412.jpeg

Looks like it could be in Yorkshire.