2nd Hand Vinyl

Pele_Is_God

Pele_Is_God

Got a new turntable for Xmas and looking to build up a collection of Vinyl. What are the best shops in Edinburgh selling 2nd hand Vinyl? Was also recommended Discogs.Com.

Cheers!

Vinyl Villians in Elm Row can be a bit of a treasure trove.

There is also a decent shop at the east end of Rose Street. Can't remember the exact name of it but it's something daft like "Plop"?

Diadora Van Basten

What kind of music do you like? My friend is selling a lot of albums from the 70s and 80s at £10 per album if it’s of interest.

I bought her Beatles, Roxy Music and Pink Floyd albums.

Tokyo Drifter

There's Assai, or try George in Underground Solush'n on Cockburn Street. Thorne Records in Bruntsfield is decent and there's a great wee shop called Greenhouse Records just off Whitehouse Loan. Think Kevin at Avalanche still stocks vinyl and he's in Waverley Mall or whatever it's called this year. Good luck with crate digging. 

13 minutes ago, martoon said:

Vinyl Villians in Elm Row can be a bit of a treasure trove.

There is also a decent shop at the east end of Rose Street. Can't remember the exact name of it but it's something daft like "Plop"?

Fopp. It’s moved to Shandwick Place though. There is also Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk for 2nd hand. 

Actually now I think about it if you fancy rooting about there’s a great wee shop on St Stephen’s St in Stockbridge that is pretty much all used vinyl. Proper old school untidy as hell and cramped but I’ve found a few peaches in there. 

Tokyo Drifter
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Actually now I think about it if you fancy rooting about there’s a great wee shop on St Stephen’s St in Stockbridge that is pretty much all used vinyl. Proper old school untidy as hell and cramped but I’ve found a few peaches in there. 

He has (or used to have) loads of 78s too. Also for second hand there's Backbeat up the Southside, just past the Tesco metro and off down to the left. It's so rammed you have to tell the guy what you're after and he roots around for it. Oh and Almond River Records on St John's Road near Guitar Guitar is great. Lots of prog/Krautrock/jazz etc. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I haven't been down to the Ocean Terminal in Leith for a while but there was a place selling arts and craft stuff that had a second hand record section at the back. The prices didn't seem too high compared to other places I have seen around the city. 

If you are ever in Stirling there is a shop called Europa Music in Friars St which has a large selection but I noticed the prices were quite high for the most collectable albums they had in stock. They still had some albums under a tenner though so worth a look if passing by. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Carl Fredrickson
35 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I haven't been down to the Ocean Terminal in Leith for a while but there was a place selling arts and craft stuff that had a second hand record section at the back. The prices didn't seem too high compared to other places I have seen around the city. 

If you are ever in Stirling there is a shop called Europa Music in Friars St which has a large selection but I noticed the prices were quite high for the most collectable albums they had in stock. They still had some albums under a tenner though so worth a look if passing by. 

The Leith Collective. I think the vinyl is that of one of the guys who had a stall at the Edinburgh record fair. 

1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

He has (or used to have) loads of 78s too. Also for second hand there's Backbeat up the Southside, just past the Tesco metro and off down to the left. It's so rammed you have to tell the guy what you're after and he roots around for it. Oh and Almond River Records on St John's Road near Guitar Guitar is great. Lots of prog/Krautrock/jazz etc. 

2nd hand jazz and krautrock you say? Mmm. A trip may be in my near future. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Fopp. It’s moved to Shandwick Place though. There is also Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk for 2nd hand. 

🙂

the original dalry llama
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

VoxBox - great wee shop.

the original dalry llama
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

FOPP is just another branch of HMV these days - same product, same ridiculous prices.

1 minute ago, the original dalry llama said:

FOPP is just another branch of HMV these days - same product, same ridiculous prices.

Sadly true, not an easy shop to find anything unusual in. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Leith Collective. I think the vinyl is that of one of the guys who had a stall at the Edinburgh record fair. 

That's the place right enough. Sounds a bit hibs unfortunately😄 

Yes it had different sellers spread around the store. I think it moved from one unit to another as far as I can remember. 

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

That's the place right enough. Sounds a bit hibs unfortunately😄 

Yes it had different sellers spread around the store. I think it moved from one unit to another as far as I can remember. 

My daughter loves the shop despite its hobbo sounding name. Some amazing creative stuff (she loves arts and crafts) but prices scare me. 

They had a vinyl of Bruce Springsteens Ghost of Tom Joad - it isnt a favourite of mine but is missing from my collection. I was humming and hawing over it and didnt buy it. Next time we went to the Vue I was going to buy it but someone beat me to it. 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I was going to say Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk, but you well beat me to it.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My daughter loves the shop despite its hobbo sounding name. Some amazing creative stuff (she loves arts and crafts) but prices scare me. 

They had a vinyl of Bruce Springsteens Ghost of Tom Joad - it isnt a favourite of mine but is missing from my collection. I was humming and hawing over it and didnt buy it. Next time we went to the Vue I was going to buy it but someone beat me to it. 

Yes it had some really interesting stuff but I think the prices are set for the tourists visiting the Royal Yacht. 

I have Springsteen's Ghost of Tom Joad but only on CD. Got Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born In The USA on original vinyl though. I had Nebraska at one time but it was scratched badly unfortunately and it ended up unplayable. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I was going to say Elvis Shakespeare on Leith Walk, but you well beat me to it.

Yes it's got some rare records and pulling out those sliding drawer things to see the records inside is an interesting experience. 

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Yes it had some really interesting stuff but I think the prices are set for the tourists visiting the Royal Yacht. 

I have Springsteen's Ghost of Tom Joad but only on CD. Got Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born In The USA on original vinyl though. I had Nebraska at one time but it was scratched badly unfortunately and it ended up unplayable. 

I have most of Springsteen on vinyl (original pressings) but would love The Rising (only seen that as an Asian import that may be dodgy) and The Ghost of Tom Joad. There was a box set a few years ago of vinyl albums that covered upto Born In The USA (if I remember correctly) and I was hoping their would be a second volume that included the Rising. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have most of Springsteen on vinyl (original pressings) but would love The Rising (only seen that as an Asian import that may be dodgy) and The Ghost of Tom Joad. There was a box set a few years ago of vinyl albums that covered upto Born In The USA (if I remember correctly) and I was hoping their would be a second volume that included the Rising. 

I hope you find an original soon. I still go into charity shops in the hope of finding a gem in a sea of Cliff Richard and Barry Manilow crap 😄

Cairneyhill Jambo

Allander Record Fair do a lot of venues. They were at Ocean Terminal at the weekend. 

I was in a shop in Stirling yesterday called Europa Music and it had an amazing selection of vinyl reasonably priced. Literally thousands of albums etc of all types.

You should check out their Facebook pages.

https://www.facebook.com/EuropaMusic

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Allander Record Fair do a lot of venues. They were at Ocean Terminal at the weekend. 

I was in a shop in Stirling yesterday called Europa Music and it had an amazing selection of vinyl reasonably priced. Literally thousands of albums etc of all types.

You should check out their Facebook pages.

https://www.facebook.com/EuropaMusic

I thought Europa had closed. Was the guy with the rainbow jumpers and grey hair serving? Minded me up Mike from Time Team

Cairneyhill Jambo
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

I thought Europa had closed. Was the guy with the rainbow jumpers and grey hair serving? Minded me up Mike from Time Team

Fortunately, it's still open. Yeah, that was the guy. He mentioned that he is looking for bigger premises as the current shop is too small. The back room is some place. Thousands of vinyl covering everything from the Corries to punk. 

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Fortunately, it's still open. Yeah, that was the guy. He mentioned that he is looking for bigger premises as the current shop is too small. The back room is some place. Thousands of vinyl covering everything from the Corries to punk. 

I mind it well! Spent hours in their on many Saturday afternoons. Need to venture back soon

EH11_2NL

I've got a wee collection of singles, mostly 80s with a couple of coloured vinyls/picture discs in there. They've been in the drawer under my bed for literally years. I'll never bother with a turntable again. Do these shops buy them or better to put them on the internet? And how do I value them and not get done over?

4 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I've got a wee collection of singles, mostly 80s with a couple of coloured vinyls/picture discs in there. They've been in the drawer under my bed for literally years. I'll never bother with a turntable again. Do these shops buy them or better to put them on the internet? And how do I value them and not get done over?

There’s not a much vinyl out there worth a lot of money. Lots of people convinced that what they have is rare enough to be worth cash get disappointed, and I include myself in that. You can look on eBay to see if any of them have sold recently and for how much, or check the value on Discogs website. 

EH11_2NL
27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There’s not a much vinyl out there worth a lot of money. Lots of people convinced that what they have is rare enough to be worth cash get disappointed, and I include myself in that. You can look on eBay to see if any of them have sold recently and for how much, or check the value on Discogs website. 

👍

Fxxx the SPFL

Top of middle meadow walk opposite Doctors i'm sure there is a lad that has a Vinyl stall there at weekends

south morocco
21 hours ago, Pele_Is_God said:

Got a new turntable for Xmas and looking to build up a collection of Vinyl. What are the best shops in Edinburgh selling 2nd hand Vinyl? Was also recommended Discogs.Com.

Cheers!

http://voxboxmusic.co.uk/?fbclid=PAAaaYISNJ-jNxkK_wPkNpqC7bXGsRMa-hdf0odahcn8MqnROv7XjfpgIX7qE_aem_Adg0lwxKFY26dPNw8D2_qZO70R8K6cTO7vAJawach52i49BKmzibPO3VDAr6ahazWzk

AlimOzturk
22 hours ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

You won’t get a cheap bargain in backbeat. That guy knows his stuff. 

21 hours ago, the original dalry llama said:

Remember starting my vinyl collection in Fopp in Cockburn St thirty years ago. Was picking up 180g pressings of all sorts of classic albums for a fiver a pop. Now the crappiest pressings will set you back £25 at HMV! 

What was the name of the record shop in Cockburn Street before Fopp?

I can remember buying the Complete Madness LP there.

Maybe around '83 or'84?

Carl Fredrickson

My first job was in Cockburn Street in 1987. Used to love payday. Fopp IIRC started on the righthand side as you walked down but moved over to a bigger shop on the other side. Used to spend fortunes in Fopp, the baked tattie shop, the Malt Shovel and the wee cafe at the bottom of the street. 

Laterly I think there was a second hand and new vinyl shop near the top on the right hand side as you walked down. It was on a corner shop  next to a close. 

Happy days. 

the original dalry llama
1 hour ago, romac said:

What was the name of the record shop in Cockburn Street before Fopp?

I can remember buying the Complete Madness LP there.

Maybe around '83 or'84?

GI Records. It used to be in Stockbridge but moved to Cockburn Street.

7 minutes ago, the original dalry llama said:

GI Records. It used to be in Stockbridge but moved to Cockburn Street.

That's it. I knew if I heard the name it would click.

Cheers.

Generic Username

Another vote for the back room of Vox Box. Have lost hours in there sifting through what's on offer. If you're in Glasgow then Mixed Up Records on Otaga Street in the west end is brilliant too.

The bulk of my records have come from Discogs. If you've the time and patience to search through it and have the brass neck to make some cheeky offers you can get a few gems. 

Dawnrazor
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Carpetright has a good selection of vinyl

👏👏

I still have around 300 albums. A large collection of Frank Zappa ( The Mothers) 17 albums. Loads of others some very collectable, will never get rid of them.....drives the wife nuts, because I never play them anymore, says I don't need them.....tough  they are no going anywhere.....😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2024 at 18:27, Tazio said:

That's a great record shop. 

I've stuck a few of my albums in picture frames as the vinyl is very unlikely to hit a needle again.

Seems a waste them lying in the attic doing nothing.