Sky Sports Innovations for the Edinburgh Derby

D4nny_

Sums up how our league is viewed if they're now trying stuff like this out. There's not a chance in hell you'd get them doing this for the English Premier League.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• OTT

• Mikey1874

• H2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Why does anyone care about that? Really??

Personally I would be fascinated to have a camera inside the Hearts dressing room before a match and at half time to hear what our manager is telling our players. It would be hugely interesting!

I think Steven Naismith is absolutely right to not get involved in this though. I struggle to see what positives could come from it. I hope we give Hibs a bit of a doing and we can all have a wee chuckle at whatever the Hibs manager is saying to his team that night.

Yes, but that's not what this is.  They're going to be mic'd up on the sidelines, and it doesn't say anything about the dressing rooms. So when you're watching the match, you'll have a live feed of the manager shouting "pass the ball", "get it clear", "push wider", "faster", "you, close him down quicker!", and since it's Hibs, "Aw for ****s sake" quite frequently. As well as him discussing with his coaches why they even bothered taking the Hibs job in the first place. 

It's a novelty that's not going to add anything of any real substance to the broadcast. 

I doubt anyone is going to let their pre match tactics be filmed and sent out for all their rival teams to have a watch of! 

i wish jj was my dad
23 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Would prefer it if they had the ref and his assistants wearing mikes!

Indeed

Innovative?

Just watched The Big Match Revisited on ITV4. Games were from October 4th 1980.

Crystal Palace at home to WBA.

Lo and behold Ron Atkinson the WBA manager was mic'd up and was in conversation with Brian Moore the match commentator whilst the game was in progress.

So not anything new.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Innovative?

Just watched The Big Match Revisited on ITV4. Games were from October 4th 1980.

Crystal Palace at home to WBA.

Lo and behold Ron Atkinson the WBA manager was mic'd up and was in conversation with Brian Moore the match commentator whilst the game was in progress.

So not anything new.

Hope he never made any remarks about laziness 

Absolute tin pot.

You think this shit would happen in the English Premiership? I'm sure Pep, Jurgen et al would have a similar view to Naisy.

Tells you everything about how Sky rate our league.

Embarrassing.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Yes, but that's not what this is.  They're going to be mic'd up on the sidelines, and it doesn't say anything about the dressing rooms. So when you're watching the match, you'll have a live feed of the manager shouting "pass the ball", "get it clear", "push wider", "faster", "you, close him down quicker!", and since it's Hibs, "Aw for ****s sake" quite frequently. As well as him discussing with his coaches why they even bothered taking the Hibs job in the first place. 

It's a novelty that's not going to add anything of any real substance to the broadcast. 

I doubt anyone is going to let their pre match tactics be filmed and sent out for all their rival teams to have a watch of! 

Haha yeah I get that. 

There still could be a few interesting things said during the course of a match though. Managers do make tactical alterations while play is going on. It would be interesting to hear what that sounds like and how they put it across. 

I can totally see why Steven Naismith wants nothing to do with it though. All it takes is for one controversial thing to be said and it will be all over the newspapers and social media. It's not really worth it from their perspective is it?

Ministryofdad

Wish they would do sky sports fan commentary for the game. 

Like they did for the English Premiership games back in the day 

On 22/12/2023 at 11:00, jambo89 said:

Can’t see this catching on with managers. Giving players explicit tactical instructions that can be easily countered by having a live feed in the dugout.

In F1, when they know instructions to drivers are broadcast [at times], some teams use this to send fake info to rivals. Can work well for tactical reasons, but also a iot of trolling! 😄

Anyway, this having Monty miked-up, sounds like lots of opportunities for a major hibsing-it moment on Wednesday hopefully. :arf:

highlandjambo3
36 minutes ago, RS86 said:

That'll be another 1st for Hibs I take it? And knowing them this could turn out to be classic material.

DVD incoming 

Booooo! 

And, thirdly, Hampden chiefs had issues over potential abuse of referee John Beaton and fellow officials being broadcast.

That or they don't want anyone to hear what the referee is saying.   So they can make it up later. 

manaliveits105
On 22/12/2023 at 11:15, Sir PH said:

Surprised Montgomery has agreed to this. Managers and their staff spend half the time covering their mouths so the viewers don't know what they are saying. 

He is manager of Attention Seekers FC 

33 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Nick Montgomery sees Hibs live mic pulled by Sfa for 3 reasons https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nick-montgomery-sees-hibs-live-31757641

sadly this reflects badly on Scottish Football … shambles!

I have a feeling Nick Montgomery used his get out of goal card here.

1 minute ago, SM8 said:

Confirmed the SFA pulled the plug by Eilidh Barbour at the start of coverage.

See from Skys perspective, I can totally understand them being annoyed. The time to pull the plug was before it was announced. Not literally in the 11th hour. Painfully unprofessional. 

But then, our league is run by rank amatuers. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

See from Skys perspective, I can totally understand them being annoyed. The time to pull the plug was before it was announced. Not literally in the 11th hour. Painfully unprofessional. 

But then, our league is run by rank amatuers. 

To be fair it's not necessarily the league's fault if it's been done elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

At the very least it suggests a total lack of communication between two organisations based in the same stadium.

4 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

The post I'd quoted was confirming that the SFA pulled the plug. I.e the SFA cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The exclusive pre match footage of Lawrence Shankland eating beans has sold me on this innovative Sky Sports approach 

:D It was so ****ing weird ahahahaha

3 minutes ago, SM8 said:

At the very least it suggests a total lack of communication between two organisations based in the same stadium.

Yes it does but it smacks of second thoughts and an easy way out.

Edited by Hmfc1965

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Aye let's go ahead and mic up the managers for the old firm tae Sutton.

You get swearing at junior games even kids,what makes these ex pros think it's any different with the stakes tonight.

Very naive he's obviously never been a manager or experienced the tension.

Glad Naismith said no to this.

They want all access this game? What about the others that weren't even considered for the TV.

**** them.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Aye let's go ahead and mic up the managers for the old firm tae Sutton.

You get swearing at junior games even kids,what makes these ex pros think it's any different with the stakes tonight.

Very naive he's obviously never been a manager or experienced the tension.

Glad Naismith said no to this.

They want all access this game? What about the others that weren't even considered for the TV.

**** them.

Completely, I think the whole idea was stupid - but if you've agreed to do something, follow it through FFS :D 

I imagine Sky approached the League then both clubs, we said no, Hibs said yes - then the SFA have went "actually wait a minute" what looks like less than 2 hours before kick off! 

Regardless of the merits of it, the league/SFA shouldn't be stepping in, in this manner - the time to do so was weeks ago and kabosh the idea from the outset. It gives a very unprofessional left hand doesn't know what the right is doing type of perspective. 

I think it speaks to the unprofessional culture at the SFA though. Just idiots promoted well above their station. 

Cochrane having a laugh with his body cam. Not at all faulting the player but he's messing about with it 35 mins before a Derby.

35 mins before a derby you'd have me like Rocky (the Stallone version, not Hibs powderpuff boy), on steroids just pumping 

On 22/12/2023 at 11:06, Stuart Lyon said:

Would prefer it if they had the ref and his assistants wearing mikes!

This.

Managers wearing mikes, what could possibly go wrong?! Is this a world first or are we merely the guinea pig?

highlandjambo3
Just now, MrBones said:

The body cam is honking. Makes me feel sick

Where are you seeing this?  The sky Chanel I’m watching is showing Celtic v Dundee highlights with the hearts game to follow

13 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Perhaps they could mike up the old firm fans so we can hear the 'party tunes' more clearly?

You wouldn’t hear them anyway, only a minority 🙄

jamboinglasgow

SFA have now realised a statement saying they did not block the use of a microphone.

They say it was IFAB who told them that they mics can not be used under law 4 of the rules of football.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

26 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Cochrane having a laugh with his body cam. Not at all faulting the player but he's messing about with it 35 mins before a Derby.

35 mins before a derby you'd have me like Rocky (the Stallone version, not Hibs powderpuff boy), on steroids just pumping 

:oohmatron:

It was ****ing shite. Cochrane with a camera on his chest pointing at his team mates chests in the warm up then a pointless 10 second interview with Frankie Kent at HT. 

Edited by GinRummy

All sky done was slate the standard of the game. Yeah it wasn't a world class game but they wouldn't bang on about the poor standard of an old firm game