We're in good shape financially....apparently.....!

Section Q

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We buy the odd apple but mostly plums.

Putting Joe in charge of the weekly shop was probably a mistake in hindsight.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Sooks

• Section Q

• 1971fozzy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Not everyone spends most of their time posting on here. He's probably got a life. 

it's a helluva selective lifestyle which for some really bizarre, uncanny and unfathomable reason only allows him time to post on here when hearts lose.

it's a shame because he's comedy gold as far as I'm concerned. Wish he'd post more often. (I'd ordinarily say they / them, but I've got a funny feeling mr i8 is a bloke)

38 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Putting Joe in charge of the weekly shop was probably a mistake in hindsight.

Wouldn't trust to send him to the shop for a loaf of bread, probably come back with some crap daft exotic substitute.

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Wouldn't trust to send him to the shop for a loaf of bread, probably come back with some crap daft exotic substitute.

yeah, these players we've got beating celtic 2-0 away and being 3rd in the table......tch! the guy knows nowt!

17 hours ago, FionaHmfc said:

Me too. Don’t think anything would ever convince me to go and watch a game. Just got no interest in it whatsoever. But I do see the upside to having a woman’s team as someone else pointed out earlier it could really help attract fans in the future. Growing up and playing football to me there was only ever really Hibs ladies to play for. No other teams affiliated with mens teams really existed. Hibs were like the elite team you could play for in the Lothian region. Most girls I played with ended up going to play for them and needless to say become Hibs fans and are now pretty much all season ticket holders, go to all games home and away and probably contribute a fair fortune to Hibs. I never played for them as the thought of wearing a hibs kit turned my stomach so I eventually just gave up 😂 

But knowing the amount I currently spend on the FOH, season tickets, every away game, European games home and away, merchandise etc … imagine in the future we could attract young girls to play for Hearts who would do the same. They would eventually hopefully take an interest in the mens team and go on to contribute like me and many other women I know who support Hearts currently do.

So while I’ll never really go and support the women’s team or take much interest, I definitely don’t mind them being affiliated to our club as I can see the role clubs can play growing up for young girls. 

Nailed it

Financially the only thing we’re lagging behind our competitors on is player trading, this is the only thing allowing Aberdeen & Hibs to spend comparably with us. If we can get better at promoting & selling young talent to clubs down south that have shown they’re willing to spend £2-5m on young Scottish (or British born anyway) players then that will allow us to kick on & invest more money into the first team. 

33 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

yeah, these players we've got beating celtic 2-0 away and being 3rd in the table......tch! the guy knows nowt!

It's just a wee joke. However if you think an unexpected single victory over a dire Celtic side and possibly another week being third means Joe has a good record in the transfer market then that's your opinion.

I think he's a bit of a fraud but it won't stop me from enjoying Saturdays' result.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It's just a wee joke. However if you think an unexpected single victory over a dire Celtic side and possibly another week being third means Joe has a good record in the transfer market then that's your opinion.

I think he's a bit of a fraud but it won't stop me from enjoying Saturdays' result.

Likewise me having a bit of fun Ron.

time will tell re: Savage's signings. When he was considered to have been doing amazingly (Beni, Devlin Rowles when they first joined) - even he tried to calm folk down by saying anyone who has a hit rate of 52% with signings is doing phenomenally well.

I think the players we've signed are fine. A bigger factor is who they play alongside (Rowles better with Kent or Halkett, cochrane better with McKay in front etc). 

As is often the case too, a different manager with a different approach will not fancy some players and they appear to regress (while other fancied players progress).

agree one win v celtic does not make a summer.

21 hours ago, Thomaso said:

It may have been said but money coming out of the HMFC pot for the women’s team must reduce the money available for the men’s team. 🤷‍♂️

Not if it was only in the HMFC pot in the first place because we have a women's team.

21 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Not everyone spends most of their time posting on here. He's probably got a life. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's probably the funniest thing I've ever read!  You did mean it as a joke, didn't you? 

4 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Financially the only thing we’re lagging behind our competitors on is player trading, this is the only thing allowing Aberdeen & Hibs to spend comparably with us. If we can get better at promoting & selling young talent to clubs down south that have shown they’re willing to spend £2-5m on young Scottish (or British born anyway) players then that will allow us to kick on & invest more money into the first team. 

Kinda yeah.  But I do also think we don't whore our players like they both do.  Hibs especially develop players, sometime barely developed them, with the sole reason of selling them.  I said it weeks ago, wait for the Josh Campbell noise.  He's pish, but he's their best bet for a fee, so the noise will start.  And I know for a fact it's initiated internally.  The media are fed it.

I'd rather be us, not need it, but if a player gets interest we can consider it properly.  You want Shanks??  Ah, OK, yeah we like money, you're a bigger club than us, so yeah how about £5m or stuff it.  Oh, you guys want Alex Cochrane?  Yeah he's great eh....

So while I agree we need to do better at player trading, I'm wholly comfortable with our approach.  Let's not be easy to deal with.

The thing is, if Hibs and Aberdeen sell of everything sellable, they're also constantly needing to replace it.  Look how it went with Boyle, sold him, couldn't handle life without him.  My choice, as a football fan who wants my team to win will always be keep our best players.  I remember back in the day being gutted when we sold Neil McCann or Alan McLaren or whatever.  Its like fans celebrate when they sell a player now!!!!

Ex member of the SaS
52 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kinda yeah.  But I do also think we don't whore our players like they both do.  Hibs especially develop players, sometime barely developed them, with the sole reason of selling them.  I said it weeks ago, wait for the Josh Campbell noise.  He's pish, but he's their best bet for a fee, so the noise will start.  And I know for a fact it's initiated internally.  The media are fed it.

I'd rather be us, not need it, but if a player gets interest we can consider it properly.  You want Shanks??  Ah, OK, yeah we like money, you're a bigger club than us, so yeah how about £5m or stuff it.  Oh, you guys want Alex Cochrane?  Yeah he's great eh....

So while I agree we need to do better at player trading, I'm wholly comfortable with our approach.  Let's not be easy to deal with.

The thing is, if Hibs and Aberdeen sell of everything sellable, they're also constantly needing to replace it.  Look how it went with Boyle, sold him, couldn't handle life without him.  My choice, as a football fan who wants my team to win will always be keep our best players.  I remember back in the day being gutted when we sold Neil McCann or Alan McLaren or whatever.  Its like fans celebrate when they sell a player now!!!!

Agree by keeping good players and playing together regularly they build a bond. this bond cannot be manufactured it has to happen because players like each other and know how the other thinks. So when a ball is played up the wing, the winger knows someone will be in the box waiting for it. The bigot teams try to play the same players week in week out and only bring on side players when well ahead ( NOT when one up! ) 

16 hours ago, JamboAl said:

It has to go into the HMFC pot for accounting purposes but it's ringfenced for specified use(s)'

So if there was no Women’s team that HMFC pot would all be for the men’s team? 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Not if it's specifically earmarked. The company accounts won't show any detail on that.

If you have £10 to buy apples and I give you £10 to buy some bananas, you might have £20 in your pocket but you're still only coming back with £10 worth of apples.

If a benefactor provides money specifically for a purpose then it will be spent that way.

I would very very much doubt that James Anderson has just gone 'here is X million, knock yourselves out'.

That will be a total of individually carved out amounts to suit the needs of each department / product.

Remove the women's team and the total investment drops.

You don’t know that. Maybe JA has a set amount he is willing to pump into HMFC with or without a Women’s team.

2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Not if it was only in the HMFC pot in the first place because we have a women's team.

Do you know that for certain?

Bazzas right boot

Maybe us being in the position to have our best 3 consecutive seasons in decades, our best aveage crowds in years  is in direct correlation with us having a wumunz team?

6 hours ago, boag1874 said:

I think that will come. When you look at the players we have signed since promotion they are a good age and many could improve as they mature. There was a change in transfer policy which I think will work given time. 

Why should they be British?

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

You don’t know that. Maybe JA has a set amount he is willing to pump into HMFC with or without a Women’s team.

As I said, I very very much doubt it. You're not going to just chuck money at something that you get zero return on (he's gifted it) without agreeing what it's going to be spent on. Especially when you sit on the board.

3 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's probably the funniest thing I've ever read!  You did mean it as a joke, didn't you? 

If that's really the case (and I suspect it's not) you need to get out more.

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

So if there was no Women’s team that HMFC pot would all be for the men’s team? 🤷‍♂️

Or

it could be that if there were no women's team there would be no contribution and the pot would be commensurately smaller.

That is the most likely scenario if JA has SPECIFIED IT'S FOR A WOMAN'S TEAM.

53 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Or

it could be that if there were no women's team there would be no contribution and the pot would be commensurately smaller.

That is the most likely scenario if JA has SPECIFIED IT'S FOR A WOMAN'S TEAM.

“could be”

2 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

As I said, I very very much doubt it. You're not going to just chuck money at something that you get zero return on (he's gifted it) without agreeing what it's going to be spent on. Especially when you sit on the board.

What exactly is the “return” on the women’s team?

44 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

What exactly is the “return” on the women’s team?

For JA, or any benefactor, there's no return on any of the cash he fronted up as it's a 'gift'. Mens team, women's team, any of it.

Hence why I said 'zero return'.

i wish jj was my dad
20 hours ago, Section Q said:

According to this article in the OP, we spend a good deal more on wages than the next team, apart from the old firm. We shouldn't be struggling against Motherwell/St Mirren/Dundee, who only pay about half as much. We seem to waste a good deal of our budget.

That doesn't mean we are not in good financial shape though. Our wage bill will not be solely spent on the football side either. We have been developing long term infrastructure projects that will generate additional cos for tge payroll. 

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Yes, but there'd be substantially less in the pot to start with, a bigger reduction than the spend on the women's team.

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Yes, James Anderson has been very clear that his involvement in Hearts, and football in general, is in large part due to the importance he sees in the community initiatives clubs can drive, the social benefits that giving kids role models, inspiration to get into sport, etc can bring, and the importance of inclusivity, including opportunities in sport for women and girls. If the Hearts board decided to scrap the women's team with the intention of pumping the money saved into the men's team instead, he'd be off, and would take the millions he's currently donating to us each year and start giving them to some other club that was more aligned with his views. Thankfully, our board aren't stuck in the past like some jkb posters so we don't have to worry about that eventuality. We'll be continuing with the women's team, he'll continue donating much more than the women's team costs, and a relatively small number of hard-of-thinking jkb posters will no doubt continue to fail to grasp that the presence of the women's team doesn't negatively impact on the budget of the men's team, and will continue to bitch about it! 

3 hours ago, Sir PH said:

If that's really the case (and I suspect it's not) you need to get out more.

I was, of course, kidding there, as you surely were when suggesting a certain poster might actually have a life!

25 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yes, James Anderson has been very clear that his involvement in Hearts, and football in general, is in large part due to the importance he sees in the community initiatives clubs can drive, the social benefits that giving kids role models, inspiration to get into sport, etc can bring, and the importance of inclusivity, including opportunities in sport for women and girls. If the Hearts board decided to scrap the women's team with the intention of pumping the money saved into the men's team instead, he'd be off, and would take the millions he's currently donating to us each year and start giving them to some other club that was more aligned with his views. Thankfully, our board aren't stuck in the past like some jkb posters so we don't have to worry about that eventuality. We'll be continuing with the women's team, he'll continue donating much more than the women's team costs, and a relatively small number of hard-of-thinking jkb posters will no doubt continue to fail to grasp that the presence of the women's team doesn't negatively impact on the budget of the men's team, and will continue to bitch about it! 

👏👏👏

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

That doesn't mean we are not in good financial shape though. Our wage bill will not be solely spent on the football side either. We have been developing long term infrastructure projects that will generate additional cos for tge payroll. 

I never suggested we weren't in good financial shape as you put it. Not sure where you're headed here.

Of course. We just seem to spend our money with less diligence in my opinion..

i wish jj was my dad
19 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I never suggested we weren't in good financial shape as you put it. Not sure where you're headed here.

The reference to 'apparently' in the title indicated some doubt which is where i was heading there. 

i wish jj was my dad
15 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Of course. We just seem to spend our money with less diligence in my opinion..

Do we? Maybe. It could be that our wage bill covers a wider range of activities. 

On the playing side I think our wage bill will be in a similar ballpark to hibs and Aberdeen. Not to say we couldn't get a better bang for our buck but I'm not seeing anything from either of those mobs to suggest they are any better. 

The reference to 'apparently' in the title indicated some doubt which is where i was heading there. 

Let it go mate, life's short . . . . !

6 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He stated he was putting money in for the women's team. Maybe have a word with him if it offends you so much

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Great post

9 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think that will come. When you look at the players we have signed since promotion they are a good age and many could improve as they mature. There was a change in transfer policy which I think will work given time. 

Why should they be British?

I agree totally. 

In a word, Brexit. It’s made signing high potential young players from overseas more complicated than it used to be for English clubs & as a result they’re looking more at the domestic leagues for potential hidden gems to develop.

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Section Q said:

Let it go mate, life's short . . . . !

I've no idea what that means. You started a thread which literally included '.....apparently...!' So it was reasonable to speculate that you may be questioning that. By all means clarify your intention if you were trying to make a different point. 

On 18/12/2023 at 10:57, OTT said:

I think we are. This "wouldn't be solvent but for the benefactors" stuff is utter pish. We're spending money because we know the benefactors are there - it isn't retroactively added to keep us solvent. 

Budge and the board are building up our non-footballing revenue streams which is smart, and will be useful long term. Think overr the next 3 years the benefit of the hotel will hopefully be felt. 

Problem for me has been the lack of academy lads progressed into the first team and sold. As we've seen at Aberdeen, clubs down south and abroad will pay £2-5m for Scottish players in the right circumstances. Having such a youth averse manager in Neilson was an issue, but if Naismith can get us 3rd whilst giving Denholm, Tait etc. meaningful minutes, then hopefully we'll see bids from down south start to come in and we can start pairing up all the hard work being done off the field to build up our revenue streams matched with a successful academy converting kids into multimillion pound fees which can then be reinvested back into the club. 

Correct. But the brain dead and Hibs fans amongst us can't believe it. 

Phil D. Corners
21 hours ago, boag1874 said:

I really believe it will happen and it will be a huge boost when it does. 

I would argue that our goal is get third, and while the kids are important, the focus should be on the first team squad to begin. 

I understood that our youth set up needed rebuilt after admin and that Covid did not help things. (The youth team missed a year of training etc.)

However in the last 2 years the B team has been allowing the youth players a chance for some consistent game time.  

We are now seeing some green shoots of youth coming in to the first team. Early doors, but I see the B team being key to this.  

56 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I really believe it will happen and it will be a huge boost when it does. 

I would argue that our goal is get third, and while the kids are important, the focus should be on the first team squad to begin. 

I understood that our youth set up needed rebuilt after admin and that Covid did not help things. (The youth team missed a year of training etc.)

However in the last 2 years the B team has been allowing the youth players a chance for some consistent game time.  

We are now seeing some green shoots of youth coming in to the first team. Early doors, but I see the B team being key to this.  

I personally think we’ll have more success by buying in young talent like Cochrane, Atkinson and Beni. Be great to get some of the academy youngsters in the first team as well though. 

Edited by GinRummy

5 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I've no idea what that means. You started a thread which literally included '.....apparently...!' So it was reasonable to speculate that you may be questioning that. By all means clarify your intention if you were trying to make a different point. 

No.......😁😁.....!

Anger management anyone.......!

13 hours ago, XB52 said:

He stated he was putting money in for the women's team. Maybe have a word with him if it offends you so much

Not offended just asking the question 

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Not offended just asking the question 

At the AGM McKinkay said that some sponsors require us to support 'wider' initiatives such as the women's team as part of their sponsorship.  

Just now, davemclaren said:

At the AGM McKinkay said that some sponsors require us to support 'wider' initiatives such as the women's team as part of their sponsorship.  

Fair enough

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

And then there is the fact that he and his wife Morag are the biggest sponsors of the Scottish womens game

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

And then there is the fact that he and his wife Morag are the biggest sponsors of the Scottish womens game

Didn’t know that