Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

hereford_hearts

I was talking to a sensible hun in the Jan transfer window. He reckoned Shanks was worth £2.5m tops. I pointed out to him that he's worth £5m to us and £30m to them. Confused he asked why. Of course he was worth £5m to us to get us European league football, and if they bought him, his goals would give them the league, and therefore £30m champions league cash. 

I hope that they fail at the last hurdle, so I can go back to him and ask him if his £2.5m valuation was correct. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

johnking123
1 minute ago, Valois No1 said:

I am sure this has been debated before but how on earth is our total wage bill 15m? I would assume that the men’s first team takes up the bulk of that but even with a squad of say 24 at 6k a week each (probs not as high as that) is under 8m. Where the hell is the other 7m going. Yes I know we have women’s teams to pay but I’d imagine that would be much less than the men’s. We also have academy players etc. it feels heavy. 

It's our entire wage bill of the club.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
11 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

I am sure this has been debated before but how on earth is our total wage bill 15m? I would assume that the men’s first team takes up the bulk of that but even with a squad of say 24 at 6k a week each (probs not as high as that) is under 8m. Where the hell is the other 7m going. Yes I know we have women’s teams to pay but I’d imagine that would be much less than the men’s. We also have academy players etc. it feels heavy. 

It covers every employee at the club; office/admin/ticketing/shop/hotel/hospitality as well as playing staff (first, B team, youths, women’s and all coaching and other football staff from Savage down to the kit folks).

I think I read somewhere that all of the means we have around 250 employees.

15 million x .065 (as about a third will be employers NI/taxes/other eg. pension contributions etc) = 9.75 / 225 = 43k per FTE.

Of course there’s also the 6 million salary auld granny Budge takes per year; that yacht in the Med isn’t going to sail itself, you know.  

SMJ_1874
12 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I continue to be surprised at the number of people both A) assuming based on this interview that he's gone, and B). pushing him out the door because of that.

The man wants to focus on his football until the season's done, then see if any offers from a dream club come in. There's not a damn thing wrong with that, let him do it. If he gets offers from Porto or Dortmund or Lyon, he'll get to go play in a big league and we'll get paid. If he only gets offers from Millwall and Blackpool and Rangers, he'll come back and sign an extension.

And a lot of that will come down to whether he lights it up at the Euros, which he himself admits.

Just sit back and let it play out. Stop acting like your crystal ball has already detected what's going to happen.

There was a Q&A at Tynecastle last night. Steven Naismith called off at the last minute but Shanks was there along with a few other players and fielded a few tough questions about his future. Based on what I heard last night then I think he’ll be gone in the summer.  

His future doesn’t lie with us but I do think it will all be dependent on how he performs at the Euros. 

4 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

There was a Q&A at Tynecastle last night. Steven Naismith called off at the last minute but Shanks was there along with a few other players and fielded a few tough questions about his future. Based on what I heard last night then I think he’ll be gone in the summer.  

His future doesn’t lie with us but I do think it will all be dependent on how he performs at the Euros. 

It’s a shame (for us) but i wouldn’t begrudge Lawrence Shankland a move. From a selfish perspective it has to be £3m+ or we just let his contract run out - I still don’t think Rangers will pay that. 

Does anyone disagree that Shanklands goals literally for us into Europe this season and the £5 that comes with it? 

if not then it should really be £5m we are after as with a boosted squad and Shanks leading the line we get another £5m next year BUT more importantly we widen the gap to the rest IF we get another £5m next year (if uefa rules stay same) 

SMJ_1874
Just now, red said:

It’s a shame (for us) but i wouldn’t begrudge Lawrence Shankland a move. From a selfish perspective it has to be £3m+ or we just let his contract run out - I still don’t think Rangers will pay that. 

Does anyone disagree that Shanklands goals literally for us into Europe this season and the £5 that comes with it? 

if not then it should really be £5m we are after as with a boosted squad and Shanks leading the line we get another £5m next year BUT more importantly we widen the gap to the rest IF we get another £5m next year (if uefa rules stay same) 

I don’t think any of us would begrudge him a move for the benefit of his family and to test himself at the highest level he can attain. If he moves in the summer then he will be going with tens of thousands of our best wishes. 

What the majority of us don’t want,  is to hear positive soundbites about him wanting to play  and test himself against the best and then he ends up with Soapy along the M8 in Govan.

Running down his contract, if there are no suitors after the euros, only means one thing for me but it’s a gamble against another qualifying group stage next season.  The board has a tricky decision to make in the close season and I’m sure the Souttar situation will weigh heavily on their mind. 

I don’t think I could watch shanks banging in the goals at Tynie whilst wearing a royal blue top and sevconians singing ‘Glad all Over’ 🤢. That’s my worst fears! 

Valois No1

I suspect the player and club have a fair idea of where he may end up and for how much. I bet we have had some strong enquiries with ball part figures been discussed without a formal bid just yet. I’d love for us to get a good wedge to invest in the squad or real quality. 

RustyRightPeg
23 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Thats what I took too. 

Based on his comments about the OF being in their own wee bubble, I get the impression he won’t end up through the West however. 

Was a decent wee event, saying that, the players couldn’t bolt quick enough 😂 

SMJ_1874
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Thats what I took too. 

Based on his comments about the OF being in their own wee bubble, I get the impression he won’t end up through the West however. 

Was a decent wee event, saying that, the players couldn’t bolt quick enough 😂 

I’m sure they’ll have wanted to catch the ECL semi final last night. I caught the second half.

Yes it was a god wee night and Scott Wilson was in top form as usual. Think we all picked up on the “past tense’ phrase used by Shanks and SW pounced like a cobra on him and It basically confirmed to me that he’s already thinking about his next move which won’t be signing an extended deal here. A good euros could see him get his big move and that would be a win win situation for both sides.  Anywhere for me bar Govan. 

Good to see Andrew McKinley addressing the room. I’ve lots of time for Andrew and I think with AB handing over the reins, then his directorship is one of the key components in putting us where we are and thats in a very strong position. 

soonbe110
10 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

believe me I have thought about tax. I think about it every single day in this robbing ******* of a country.  There are ways.  

And my numbers aren’t that far off either. We are paying him a lot more than £4/£5k per week, as did beerschot and did Dundee United.  

anyway, point is IF we have offers as rumoured he will be a wealthy boy and well placed for life.  

and I will never accept that £2m is an acceptable offer.  Only a tinpot club with a tinpot mentality would accept such an offer.  That’s my view and i won’t change it. Last post on here for a while.

Point is your numbers are way off and there are not ways to avoid significant tax these days if you are earning £350k pa. My numbers were based on your £7k pw.  We are currently not paying him as much as that. Dont believe we are paying anyone as much as that. 

soonbe110
10 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Realistically, the lack of bids in Jan brought his value in the close season to back to what either arse cheek might offer which could be £2-2.5M. score 4-5 in Euros and that might change.

Absolutley correct and even then neither of them went for him in last few days of window.  This summer could be different.  Let’s hope not.  My last home game of season this week as I’m missing Rangers game - hopefully not the last time I see him there in maroon. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Group stage for 3rd/Cup winner  is guaranteed next season too. After that it could be years before we get it back, if ever

That was my point - it’s guaranteed for the cup winner next season, it isn’t guaranteed for third place. 

kingantti1874
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Point is your numbers are way off and there are not ways to avoid significant tax these days if you are earning £350k pa. My numbers were based on your £7k pw.  We are currently not paying him as much as that. Dont believe we are paying anyone as much as that. 

Again, he didn’t start playing today, we’re there any legal loopholes previously? Yes there were .

Are the laws the same in Belgium? (I genuinely don’t know) , yet today  are still ways and yes if we have really offered him (big if) 14k per week then he will be very well set up.  In fact, depending on the duration of that deal he may stuggle to get much better in the U.K. at least.  

Moving away from this distraction and back to the original point.  None of this means we sell a 30 goal forward, our captain, an international and a player of the year for a paltry tin pot sum that would have been small 30 years ago.

Will shanks go in the huff if we don’t sell for £2m?

I take his as a man of his word, he’s a professional and will give his all for hearts and to possibly ensure he continues to be a target for clubs at a higher level.

Tbh, he may be  annoyed that any suitors only values him at about 50% of a Josh Doig, slightly more than an Elias Melkerson, less than a Kevin Nisbet, less than half what rangers would want for a 34 year old right back James Tavernier and 1/5 what Celtic would want for an older Furuhashi and decide that only hearts see my real value.  I will stay here and secure my family’s future.

the reality is, you and other  that may well be right and that may be the max anyone bids.  I hope it is, I’m confident our board aren’t as tinpot as some of our fans and will dismiss that out of hand. Factually he is worth more than that to us on the pitch. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Ricardo Quaresma

'sake, the state of some people on here

Jim Panzee
14 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Can't speak for the others, but I've lived in Sheffield for 43 years and I can assure all its not a shithole.  The Pyrennes must have turned yir heid, mon ami.

5 Miles? Naw - I live not far from Fulwood and it's probably the most affluent area of the city, but it's only about three miles from the city centre. 

5 miles from Hillsborough.

it's an oft misguided thought that footballers live within a mile of the club they play for. I can understand to a degree when you consider Hearts - Edinburgh a great city and you have areas like Murrayfield and Ravelston on the doorstep of Tynie.

I lived in Durham for a while and had ex england striker Kevin Phillips live opposite me when he played for sunderland - that was a 40 mile round trip for him on match days.

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That was my point - it’s guaranteed for the cup winner next season, it isn’t guaranteed for third place. 

I've not heard that has changed, are you sure? Or is this connected to Scotland not getting an automatic CL place next season

tcjambo
1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

5 miles from Hillsborough.

it's an oft misguided thought that footballers live within a mile of the club they play for. I can understand to a degree when you consider Hearts - Edinburgh a great city and you have areas like Murrayfield and Ravelston on the doorstep of Tynie.

I lived in Durham for a while and had ex england striker Kevin Phillips live opposite me when he played for sunderland - that was a 40 mile round trip for him on match days.

Lots of nice places in Co Durham.

brownkg
1 hour ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

It covers every employee at the club; office/admin/ticketing/shop/hotel/hospitality as well as playing staff (first, B team, youths, women’s and all coaching and other football staff from Savage down to the kit folks).

I think I read somewhere that all of the means we have around 250 employees.

15 million x .065 (as about a third will be employers NI/taxes/other eg. pension contributions etc) = 9.75 / 225 = 43k per FTE.

Of course there’s also the 6 million salary auld granny Budge takes per year; that yacht in the Med isn’t going to sail itself, you know.  

Last years accounts:-
130 football side

146 Admin/commercial
121 Part time matchday 

276 full time employees
397 total

soonbe110
1 hour ago, red said:

Largely agree however one caveat - Shankland could have scored 50 goals this season and we finish third, but if Aberdeen had won the cup (and they were a pen shootout away from the final) we don’t get the £5m. Same risk next season 

Jim Panzee
21 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Lots of nice places in Co Durham.

👍

RustyRightPeg
44 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I’m sure they’ll have wanted to catch the ECL semi final last night. I caught the second half.

Yes it was a god wee night and Scott Wilson was in top form as usual. Think we all picked up on the “past tense’ phrase used by Shanks and SW pounced like a cobra on him and It basically confirmed to me that he’s already thinking about his next move which won’t be signing an extended deal here. A good euros could see him get his big move and that would be a win win situation for both sides.  Anywhere for me bar Govan. 

Good to see Andrew McKinley addressing the room. I’ve lots of time for Andrew and I think with AB handing over the reins, then his directorship is one of the key components in putting us where we are and thats in a very strong position. 

The impression I have with Shankland is he knows what he can do at this level, and he would prefer a move down south or abroad. If that doesn't work, he knows he can come back and score 20+ here.

Did enjoy McKinley's part. I know he's not for everyone but he was also in good form last night.

soonbe110
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Again, he didn’t start playing today, we’re there any legal loopholes previously? Yes there were .

Are the laws the same in Belgium? (I genuinely don’t know) , yet today  are still ways and yes if we have really offered him (big if) 14k per week then he will be very well set up.  In fact, depending on the duration of that deal he may stuggle to get much better in the U.K. at least.  

Moving away from this distraction and back to the original point.  None of this means we sell a 30 goal forward, our captain, an international and a player of the year for a paltry tin pot sum that would have been small 30 years ago.

Will shanks go in the huff if we don’t sell for £2m?

I take his as a man of his word, he’s a professional and will give his all for hearts and to possibly ensure he continues to be a target for clubs at a higher level.

Tbh, he may be  annoyed that any suitors only values him at about 50% of a Josh Doig, slightly more than an Elias Melkerson, less than a Kevin Nisbet, less than half what rangers would want for a 34 year old right back James Tavernier and 1/5 what Celtic would want for an older Furuhashi and decide that only hearts see my real value.  I will stay here and secure my family’s future.

the reality is, you and other  that may well be right and that may be the max anyone bids.  I hope it is, I’m confident our board aren’t as tinpot as some of our fans and will dismiss that out of hand. Factually he is worth more than that to us on the pitch. 

The only loophole was pensions and the ability to start drawing them at 35 in certain sporting professions.  Was abolished years ago and certainly before Shankland was earning big money. He was only in Belgium for barely one year. 
Melkerson went for a nominal fee, why don’t people get that ? Your other suggested fees are just pure speculation to suit your argument. Who is going to buy Tavernier? 
This case is the toughest contract situation I can remember tbh.  It’s pretty clear that the football world doesn’t value him at anything like Hearts fans do. There may be a multitude of clubs willing to pay him a lot more than Hearts can, maybe not. But if the club is to be believed, not one note of interest.   All of this hoo ha could just be his agent playing a blinder to maximise our final and best offer which he intends to take. Hope not because it could well turn into a millstone around our necks. 

soonbe110
25 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I've not heard that has changed, are you sure? Or is this connected to Scotland not getting an automatic CL place next season

It’s the same as this season and last. Third place isn’t guaranteed group stage because if an Aberdeen or Hibs win the cup then they would get it. That’s my point, Shanklands goals would guarantee third place in  all probability but that in itself doesn’t guarantee group stage football in 25/26. 

Taffin
14 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Hearts can’t, and won’t, pay a 29 year-old enough money to set them  up for life.  Not a chance. Even if we give him £15 pw for 3 years it doesn’t set him up for life.  Gives him a good base of possible investments but not enough to provide for him and family for 40/50 years. That’s why the potential earnings elsewhere blow us out of the water even when we offer £15k pw which is probably more than double anyone currently at  the  club is on. 

That would set me up for like, no doubt about it.

Mortgage paid and c.45k per year for the rest of my life (if I did absolutely nothing with the money).

25 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s the same as this season and last. Third place isn’t guaranteed group stage because if an Aberdeen or Hibs win the cup then they would get it. That’s my point, Shanklands goals would guarantee third place in  all probability but that in itself doesn’t guarantee group stage football in 25/26. 

Sorry, now I get your point. I thought you were saying the rules had changed

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Valois No1 said:

I suspect the player and club have a fair idea of where he may end up and for how much. I bet we have had some strong enquiries with ball part figures been discussed without a formal bid just yet. I’d love for us to get a good wedge to invest in the squad or real quality. 

There may well have been informal enquiries, but nothing definite. 

It depends on whether an EPL club or an overseas club takes a chance now or waits to see how he does at the Euros, when if, as we all hope, he does well, sparking a possible bidding war

soonbe110
24 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Sorry, now I get your point. I thought you were saying the rules had changed

👍

soonbe110
31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That would set me up for like, no doubt about it.

Mortgage paid and c.45k per year for the rest of my life (if I did absolutely nothing with the money).

Yes, but he is living the £7k pw lifestyle just now and won’t want that to change.  £45k per year might not do it for him. 

Jim Panzee
33 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s pretty clear that the football world doesn’t value him at anything like Hearts fans do. 

think this is the crux of the situation.

most of us value Shanks at £5m because his goals have helped us achieve european football and the financial reward that brings.

suspect those EFL clubs just missing out on promotion to the EPL are looking at Shanks and thinking.....no real pace....and bar games versus the bigot brothers he's up against average / unknown / non descript defenders....etc

In footballing circles, the price tag we've put on him will be known and it would appear - so far - it's too high for bids to come in.

it'd need goals at the euro's to force other club's hands as it wipes out the 'can he do it against better players / a higher level ' argument 

RustyRightPeg
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

most of us value Shanks at £5m because his goals have helped us achieve european football and the financial reward that brings.

suspect those EFL clubs just missing out on promotion to the EPL are looking at Shanks and thinking.....no real pace....and bar games versus the bigot brothers he's up against average / unknown / non descript defenders....etc

In footballing circles, the price tag we've put on him will be known and it would appear - so far - it's too high for bids to come in.

it'd need goals at the euro's to force other club's hands as it wipes out the 'can he do it against better players / a higher level ' argument 

You just need to look at his numbers against Rangers, Celtic & Hibs. 14 goals in 12 games since he signed against those 3. I'm excluding Aberdeen from that if you want to class that as a big game too, then the numbers would look even better in the so called big games here.

Edited by RustyRightPeg

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
19 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Did you read the qualifying scenario mate or did you just see the figure quoted? Can only assume the latter. Fwiw, I don’t think Shanks is even going to get game time at the Euros.

I read your full post and if that happens we will still get nowhere near 10 million for him. As I said bud, lay off the strong stuff. 

Jim Panzee
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

You just need to look at his numbers against Rangers, Celtic & Hibs. 14 goals in 12 games since he signed against those 3. I'm excluding Aberdeen from that if you want to class that as a big game too, then the numbers would look even better in the so called big games here.

yeap - that defo crossed my mind. you'd hope that scouts not only look at that, but properly examine his goal footage, actually approve of his number of goals from pens (reliability / strike rate) - and his all round play which is excellent.

Depends if the general malaise and apathy for scottish football from english football fans extends to scouts / managers of clubs.

Taffin
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes, but he is living the £7k pw lifestyle just now and won’t want that to change.  £45k per year might not do it for him. 

You could say that about any number in that case. As soon as he went up to 30k per week by that logic he'd be living the 30k per week lifestyle and as such wouldn't be set for life either. Same at 100k, 2m etc.

We're talking set for life money, not live like oligarch for life money. 

soonbe110
57 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Spot on   Unfortunately his agent has probably filled his head with what he might earn elsewhere   Only issue is those other clubs have yet to step forward  Last chance saloon this summer  

I think we should be working hard to sell him this summer and plan our squad accordingly. The risk of distraction next season (Shankland moving to Rangers on a free should and would elicit boos and vitriol that make the Souttar situation sound like we were all wishing him well that night v St Johnstone). We don't need that hanging around the squad or the support for a whole season.

He'll be hard to replace, but we are bigger than a single player.

In modern football, there's no incentive for players to show loyalty.

RustyRightPeg
11 minutes ago, Ally said:

I think we should be working hard to sell him this summer and plan our squad accordingly. The risk of distraction next season (Shankland moving to Rangers on a free should and would elicit boos and vitriol that make the Souttar situation sound like we were all wishing him well that night v St Johnstone). We don't need that hanging around the squad or the support for a whole season.

He'll be hard to replace, but we are bigger than a single player.

In modern football, there's no incentive for players to show loyalty.

Mentioned earlier but my very loose impression based on his comments at the Q&A last night are that he isn't interested in going West (unless he's going home to watch the Champions League!). I get the vibe he wants to go South or Abroad. 

He knows what he can do at this level, it's almost a safety blanket if the next move doesn't work for him.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, hereford_hearts said:

I was talking to a sensible hun in the Jan transfer window. He reckoned Shanks was worth £2.5m tops. I pointed out to him that he's worth £5m to us and £30m to them. Confused he asked why. Of course he was worth £5m to us to get us European league football, and if they bought him, his goals would give them the league, and therefore £30m champions league cash. 

I hope that they fail at the last hurdle, so I can go back to him and ask him if his £2.5m valuation was correct. 

That makes little sense. It's not how transfer valuation from a bidding group club works.

Buying Shankland did not Guarantee Ramgers the league. 

If they spent £5m and never won tbe league then their summer transfer kitty just got halfed.

You are talking as if Rangers buying Shankland somehow Guaranteed them the league.

The reverse is also true, we could have sold Shankland and still finished 3rd, it has been known to happen. 

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Thanks for the update. Was there any other interesting things talked about at the event?

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

True, but unfortunately its a gamble we have to make. The key for us is making sure we go as far as possible in the Scottish cup and ensure we knock out teams like Hibs, Aberdeen and Killie. The likihood of any of the rest of them beating the OF in a cup final is slim 

I really wish the reward for 3rd and the cup were swapped round. Surely we want our strongest most consistent team in Europe... 

Sooks
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That makes little sense. It's not how transfer valuation from a bidding group club works.

Buying Shankland did not Guarantee Ramgers the league. 

If they spent £5m and never won tbe league then their summer transfer kitty just got halfed.

You are talking as if Rangers buying Shankland somehow Guaranteed them the league.

The reverse is also true, we could have sold Shankland and still finished 3rd, it has been known to happen. 

It would not have guaranteed them the league , I agree . However it probably would have added more points on their board and helped 

Sooks
4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Absolutely no offence intended , but I hate your attitude to this sort of thing . It reminds me of the former hotel guy on here . So totally risk averse and half hearted . I would pay him the dough and back is to recoup that and more through benefitting from his contributions . I realise that is not how others think , but come on . You have to back yourself in situations like this . The meek will never inherit the earth 

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Absolutely no offence intended , but I hate your attitude to this sort of thing . It reminds me of the former hotel guy on here . So totally risk averse and half hearted . I would pay him the dough and back is to recoup that and more through benefitting from his contributions . I realise that is not how others think , but come on . You have to back yourself in situations like this . The meek will never inherit the earth 

Ditto. A bit of positive thinking on about the club we all support wouldn't go a miss. 

Talking down our players and their value is genuinely laughable - we're supposed to be a bit biased hahaha. Especially when the figures being banded about aren't even ridiculous :lol: £2m for Cochrane - an English, youth capped 24 year old with buckets of potential to a league where teams get tens of millions a piece or c£3-5m for a 25 goal a season striker in Shankland. 

These are wholly reasonable fees. Maybe a bit of negotiating to do around the edges of them, but ballpark, in the right area. 

Sooks
12 minutes ago, OTT said:

Ditto. A bit of positive thinking on about the club we all support wouldn't go a miss. 

Talking down our players and their value is genuinely laughable - we're supposed to be a bit biased hahaha. Especially when the figures being banded about aren't even ridiculous :lol: £2m for Cochrane - an English, youth capped 24 year old with buckets of potential to a league where teams get tens of millions a piece or c£3-5m for a 25 goal a season striker in Shankland. 

These are wholly reasonable fees. Maybe a bit of negotiating to do around the edges of them, but ballpark, in the right area. 

Agreed . I just want us to actually take that next step on the pitch , rather than this constantly terrified of what if it goes wrong attitude . I am not saying we should risk the existence of the club or whatever , but ffs just get the baws oot and make the step 

SMJ_1874
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thanks for the update. Was there any other interesting things talked about at the event?

There was nothing shared in the session with Scott Wilson that could be construed as anything significant.

Andrew McKinley was talking at length with someone before the meeting started and then was sat at the table with a few of the benefactors (I think). I’m sure  it’s a closed book though and if anything was said then it  would be only to people and sponsors that he knows and trusts. As I’m one of the footsoldiers then it would be anyone’s guess as to what could have been said. There was nothing of note said that can’t be found in the Hearts standard interviews really 

Edited by SMJ_1874

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

The impression I have with Shankland is he knows what he can do at this level, and he would prefer a move down south or abroad. If that doesn't work, he knows he can come back and score 20+ here.

Did enjoy McKinley's part. I know he's not for everyone but he was also in good form last night.

What did Andrew McKinlay have to say buddy?

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

What did Andrew McKinlay have to say buddy?

I'll try and bullet point what I took from it.

- Gave a lot of the credit for his CEO award to the team round him. 

- Naismith proved him wrong. He had reservations about giving him the job on a perm basis, said the club was too big for a rookie coach. Contrary to belief they did speak to a lot of other candidates.

- Desperate to win a cup. Seemed to make a point about the league cup as the last time we won it was before he was born.

- Joked about the win at Parkhead a couple of days after the AGM. Said he knew we'd go on a good run of form with the fixtures, but wasn't expecting it to start there. 

- Wants to see European football at Tynecastle after Xmas. Guaranteed if we get into the Europa League, but it'll be knockout if we're in the conference.

- He's very aware of the criticism that comes his way & Joe Savage's way. Accepts it's part of the job and tends to avoid social media.

- Has a real belief in the B Team to First Team progression. Thinks Fox is doing a marvelous job and with the likes of Tait, Wilson, Denholm etc. training / playing with the first team the hard work on that front is paying off. 

- He didn't really touch on transfers, but it wasn't asked in fairness.

- Pointed out that over the last certain number of games, Celtic & Rangers have 54 & 53 points. We have 51. Proves a challenge can be done over a sustained period.

- Went into great detail about the Woman's team and how good a job Eva Olid is doing. 3rd season in charge and she's met all of her own personal goals. 1st season stay up, 2nd season top half, 3rd season best of the rest (& bonus of a cup final). 

- Womans team are almost now all full time. No "amateurs" left. 

This wasn't prepared for either, someone asked off the cuff if Andrew would come up and speak and he was more than willing to. I like the fact he is able to provide factual answers rather than hypothetical ones. 

Jim Panzee
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

- Naismith proved him wrong. He had reservations about giving him the job on a perm basis, said the club was too big for a rookie coach. Contrary to belief they did speak to a lot of other candidates.

- Desperate to win a cup. Seemed to make a point about the league cup as the last time we won it was before he was born.

- Joked about the win at Parkhead a couple of days after the AGM. Said he knew we'd go on a good run of form with the fixtures, but wasn't expecting it to start there. 

- Wants to see European football at Tynecastle after Xmas. Guaranteed if we get into the Europa League, but it'll be knockout if we're in the conference.

- He's very aware of the criticism that comes his way & Joe Savage's way. Accepts it's part of the job and tends to avoid social media.

- Has a real belief in the B Team to First Team progression. Thinks Fox is doing a marvelous job and with the likes of Tait, Wilson, Denholm etc. training / playing with the first team the hard work on that front is paying off. 

- Pointed out that over the last certain number of games, Celtic & Rangers have 54 & 53 points. We have 51. Proves a challenge can be done over a sustained period.

- Went into great detail about the Woman's team and how good a job Eva Olid is doing. 3rd season in charge and she's met all of her own personal goals. 1st season stay up, 2nd season top half, 3rd season best of the rest (& bonus of a cup final). 

This wasn't prepared for either, someone asked off the cuff if Andrew would come up and speak and he was more than willing to. I like the fact he is able to provide factual answers rather than hypothetical ones. 

Thanks for taking time to share that with us 👍

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

All sounds very positive , thanks for that run down appreciated buddy

soonbe110
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Not being funny but an English youth cap who has made it as far as Hearts when he is 24 isn’t going to change the footballing world.  Do you realise how many former youth caps there are aged 24 and under?  Gazillions. If an English club wanted him he wouldn’t be here. 

Edited by soonbe110

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I’m not negative on  it just realistic imo.  All these fancy fees that folk bandy about for Shankland and Cochrane et al yet the reality is that we haven’t received an offer for either of them.  Only Sibbick. 
In terms of Shankland it appears we have offered him the dough twice now and still it’s not enough or he doesn’t want to stay. Either way what do we do?  £14/15k pw being spoken about is way above our means given what it will mean for future wage demands from other players.  Again just my opinion.  I’d love him to stay. I’d love us to get north of £5m for him. At this point in time I don’t think either will happen.  Are we allowed opinions on here nowadays? 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)