Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)

Jackhmfc1348

Hearts1975
1 hour ago, jamborich said:

He’s becoming a pain it’s obvious he wants to move on make money which I have no problem with but surely the club know this why aren’t they coming out and make a statement, if he wanted to stay he would have signed just let him go and move on

He isn't becoming a pain. He hasn't been at the press agitating for a move - it's the press being at him trying to get him to say he wants away 

Patently obvious he hasn't ruled us out but the reason he hasn't signed on the dotted line is that money is obviously a major factor.

It's looking very likely that what we have already offered him isn't what he is looking for. Whether that changes, we will see - No one bid in Jan for him. Whether we scared potential suitors off with our asking price is unbeknown but we will find out soon enough what will happen 

Even if he leaves, and I hope he doesn't, as long as it isn't to any of the rancid 2, I would wish him all the best. He's been brilliant for us. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

Rick Sanchez

Always had the feeling he would be away. But we need to ensure it's for enough to fund new players. We won't replace his goals with one striker.

We'll need a target man and a Miovski type to take a punt on. Not a punt but you know what I mean.

Probably another quality winger as well.

Sooks

He makes it clear that he is happy to see his contract out . If we do not get an acceptable bid we keep him for his goals and he can leave for nothing 

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

He won't be playing in the spfl.

Agree. Rangers won’t buy him. They’ll happily wait a year, they won’t pay Hearts any sort of a fair fee. So if he’s away this summer it won’t be Scotland. From the interview mentioning many leagues in Europe, it sounds like there’s possibly interest from abroad. I wonder if some Serie A clubs might be having a look, given the successes of SPFL players there in recent times. 

johnking123
46 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Agree. Rangers won’t buy him. They’ll happily wait a year, they won’t pay Hearts any sort of a fair fee. So if he’s away this summer it won’t be Scotland. From the interview mentioning many leagues in Europe, it sounds like there’s possibly interest from abroad. I wonder if some Serie A clubs might be having a look, given the successes of SPFL players there in recent times. 

Could very well be joining jack Henry. 

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

That interview is very respectful. I’ll be gutted if he goes but he will do so with my best wishes and thanks. I still hold out hope but reading that it looks like abroad is his move if it happens. If he went to the uglies I’d be gutted. Hes an incredible player for us. Irreplaceable, like Robbo and Skacel and Hartley were too.

no issue with the interview or the lads ambition tbh.  Seems it’s not all about money where I think if we structure the deal right we could be competitive.

still someone would have to make it seriously worth our while given the financial prizes available in Europe next season £400k per point and the prize at the end of it.  

still  wouldn’t sell for less than £4m 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

Not challenging that as one of the few league who I think would pay the money but not sure how that satisfy his point re ambition / higher level?

The liv football league, like its golf cousin is a glorified invitational friendly.  Jack Hendry should be no where near the Scotland team on account of his participation.

still if I were shanks I would care too much for £40k per week

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

In his interview he does mention Europe and higher levels though. I think he wants to play in one of the big leagues at the big famous grounds. But it depends who’s interested I suppose. If he does well at euros that could be a game changer for him attracting interest

johnking123
Posted (edited)

It was my mate messaged me that last night. Its more likely championship or Italy.  But 40-50k a week could help persuade most people!

Edited by johnking123

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In his interview he does mention Europe and higher levels though. I think he wants to play in one of the big leagues at the big famous grounds. But it depends who’s interested I suppose. If he does well at euros that could be a game changer for him attracting interest

Hed be a good fit in Serie A.  

TexasAndy

A 3 year contract in any job would mean just that unless someone comes in with a suitable offer to buy the contract out.  If we don't get a suitable offer in summer then we are perfectly entitled to expect Shankland to see out his contract here.  Yes it will be marred by the tabloids who will spend the season speculating and there's the possibility of him signing a pre contract elsewhere but for me 1 or 2 million doesn't cut it as his goals next season would be worth much more than that to us.  We have to get away from this mentality of devaluing the final year of a contract.

Jim Panzee
3 hours ago, jamborich said:

He’s becoming a pain it’s obvious he wants to move on make money which I have no problem with but surely the club know this why aren’t they coming out and make a statement, if he wanted to stay he would have signed just let him go and move on

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

41 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not challenging that as one of the few league who I think would pay the money but not sure how that satisfy his point re ambition / higher level?

The liv football league, like its golf cousin is a glorified invitational friendly.  Jack Hendry should be no where near the Scotland team on account of his participation.

still if I were shanks I would care too much for £40k per week

Yeh I am with you on this the league is a farce.

I suppose money could talk. 

He is leaving so I hope it’s Italy. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Rods said:

Yeh I am with you on this the league is a farce.

I suppose money could talk. 

He is leaving so I hope it’s Italy. 

agreed mate, I think beyond doubt now he wants to leave but whether he leaves or not this summer will come down to £££.  

hopefully it is Italy, for a good fee and he can come back in 2/3 years time 

Jambo in Bathgate
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It is, but he's on the way out.  It'll be a big surprise if he doesn't get a better offer.  Unfortunate, but that's how it is.

This has been on the cards since the winter window. His demeanour on the pitch would suggest so. I think this has also affected his game recently regarding goals.. Something has been going on in the background most probably his agent touting him around clubs. 
I would think that Hearts will be scouring the world for at least two strikers to replace him. I know we have Wilson and Kirk but they are both young and require careful management. Especially with the unforgiving elements in our support. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Seems Shanks will be off this summer if a club meets hmfc valuation, can't criticise him for wanting to make himself a big pay day but we're going to struggle big time to replace his goals 

GBJambo
1 minute ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

This has been on the cards since the winter window. His demeanour on the pitch would suggest so. I think this has also affected his game recently regarding goals.. Something has been going on in the background most probably his agent touting him around clubs. 
I would think that Hearts will be scouring the world for at least two strikers to replace him. I know we have Wilson and Kirk but they are both young and require careful management. Especially with the unforgiving elements in our support. 

We are ****ed if we are relying on those 2.

If Shanks goes this summer . This is a massive window for Naismith as not only does he need to find replacement strikers that can score loads of goals, he needs to change the system we play 

Bazzas right boot

Highlights how difficult it is for us to build on 3rd and look upwards.

Recently-

Souttar,  Gino- nothing.

Now Beni- nothing

And Shankland away, we will get a fee but it will be relatively low fee or he'll sign a pre Contract in 6 months- and leave for nothing. 

It's a bit shite tbh.

GorgieFifeLife

He has made it clear he wants to leave.  The club has probably known and been planning for this for a while now.  Give Wilson and Kirk games in the dead rubbers which are left this season and get an idea of how much they can contribute going forward.  We will need to change the way we play and spread goals around the team as it will be difficult to find someone within our budget to directly replace him.  It’s not impossible but we should try to move away from relying so heavily on 1 player.

Selkirkhmfc1874
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Recently-

Souttar,  Gino- nothing.

Now Beni- nothing

And Shankland away, we will get a fee but it will be relatively low fee or he'll sign a pre Contract in 6 months- and leave for nothing. 

It's a bit shite tbh.

It is a bit shite but we also taking advantage of it with our 3 pre contracts signings 

Jim Panzee
10 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

We are ****ed if we are relying on those 2.

If Shanks goes this summer . This is a massive window for Naismith as not only does he need to find replacement strikers that can score loads of goals, he needs to change the system we play 

would agree with this. Unless we get phenomenally lucky and sign Shanks MK II.

Sooks
35 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

A 3 year contract in any job would mean just that unless someone comes in with a suitable offer to buy the contract out.  If we don't get a suitable offer in summer then we are perfectly entitled to expect Shankland to see out his contract here.  Yes it will be marred by the tabloids who will spend the season speculating and there's the possibility of him signing a pre contract elsewhere but for me 1 or 2 million doesn't cut it as his goals next season would be worth much more than that to us.  We have to get away from this mentality of devaluing the final year of a contract.

Yeah I agree with this . All this chat about if the player decides he wants to go we will just release him regardless of the offer does not match our valuation is nonsense . As for the keeping an unhappy player part , he does not sound unhappy at staying another season to me . Nothing has really changed tbh . We either keep our 20 goal plus a season striker for another season ( my preference ) and lose him for nothing , or we sell if a club meets our valuation 

N Lincs Jambo
Posted (edited)

It seems to me Shanks being here next season depends massively on how he does at the Euros. I think he will get very limited game time, if any. He missed that chance v Holland and since then his form has dropped off. Imo he was poor last Saturday (should have scored in the first couple of minutes) and it seems like his confidence may have been affected.

He needs to start banging a few in in the last three games or I suspect he'll be down the pecking order for the Euros.

Edited by N Lincs Jambo
Pressed too early

Ministryofdad
1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

It was my mate messaged me that last night. Its more likely championship or Italy.  But 40-50k a week could help persuade most people!

40 k a week for 3 years is 6.2 million. 

No brainer at his age. 

Gutting to lose such a good player but that's down to the Scottish league set up being pandered to two clubs. 

Jambo in Bathgate
20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Recently-

Souttar,  Gino- nothing.

Now Beni- nothing

It's a bit shite tbh.

That’s why we need to be on the front foot. Naismith said we need to have non reactive transfers. I’m sure we have targets to replace Shankland if he does go. 

May one-six

If Shanks would like to test himself elsewhere, I'd say we bite the bullet and sell him to the highest bidder now. He seems to be at the peak of his career and we should get a good fee. We'll have to do without him in the near future so it's best to get on with it. We've maximised his value - now's the time to realise it.

FIGJAM
21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Recently-

Souttar,  Gino- nothing.

Now Beni- nothing

It's a bit shite tbh.

Totally, but Hearts only themselves to blame. Can't allow your best players to go into the last 18months of their contract, because we see what happens. The interesting point is that Shankland is much older than the others. The last thing he will want to do is go into the last year of his contract knowing he left behind a big money on the table somewhere else.

Hearts need to hang strong and wait for the offer that as people said allow them to spend money on quality replacement. All conjecture until after the Euros. Hopefully Hearts allow his some rest over the next few weeks  - sub him on or off in the home games and allow Tynie to show their support and appreciation.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

Totally, but Hearts only themselves to blame. Can't allow your best players to go into the last 18months of their contract, because we see what happens. The interesting point is that Shankland is much older than the others. The last thing he will want to do is go into the last year of his contract knowing he left behind a big money on the table somewhere else.

Hearts need to hang strong and wait for the offer that as people said allow them to spend money on quality replacement. All conjecture until after the Euros. Hopefully Hearts allow his some rest over the next few weeks  - sub him on or off in the home games and allow Tynie to show their support and appreciation.

We can't allow our best players to go into the last 18 months but we also need to stay strong and wait for the right offer?

mellors1874

We will be the best team he will play for in terms of form and game time.

Clearly not looking to move up a level but supplement his bank account.

I would drop him now and play people who want to play for hearts.

Don't let the door smack into your fat arse on the way out.

We_are_the_Hearts
6 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Clown

The Treasurer
6 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

I was going to ignore this post as it really doesn't merit a response, but I think such utter pish can't just be left unchallenged 

39 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Recently-

Souttar,  Gino- nothing.

Now Beni- nothing

It's a bit shite tbh.

Exactly. There is a theme on here (I've said it myself at times) that we should be expecting to improve year on year when the reality is we lose our better players to other clubs / leagues so its more like 1 step forward 2 steps back. 

Hoovering up the best talent in our league is likely our best bet of continuing success. Aberdeen did this for years under McInnes and worked well for them. Cant see us suddenly paying £20K a week for players. 

Players who do well at Hearts will want to further their career away from Hearts. That’s a good thing. We should be playing him in these last 3 games, giving him the best preparation for the Euros possible and giving him the send off he deserves. Do that and we might just see him in maroon again one day. 

Japan Jambo
9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It is, but he's on the way out.  It'll be a big surprise if he doesn't get a better offer.  Unfortunate, but that's how it is.

9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

That interview is very respectful. I’ll be gutted if he goes but he will do so with my best wishes and thanks. I still hold out hope but reading that it looks like abroad is his move if it happens. If he went to the uglies I’d be gutted. Hes an incredible player for us. Irreplaceable, like Robbo and Skacel and Hartley were too.

Hopefully the transfer fee is equally respectful.

mellors1874
5 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Clown

Oh hit a nerve did aye.

mellors1874
4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I was going to ignore this post as it really doesn't merit a response, but I think such utter pish can't just be left unchallenged 

Explain how it's pish I have said in terms for form and game time we will be best team he will play for.

If he wants to leave fine he can get lost no one player is bigger than the club.

Fort Vallance

To be fair to the player, a lot of his career has been spent at a fairly low level. He won't have millions tucked away like some players of a similar age. This will be his best chance to look after him and his family's future. If he signs a four year deal with someone now it'll be his last big payday. I'm sure he'll be away in the summer but I'm fairly confident the club will have planned for that.

N Lincs Jambo
25 minutes ago, May one-six said:

If Shanks would like to test himself elsewhere, I'd say we bite the bullet and sell him to the highest bidder now. He seems to be at the peak of his career and we should get a good fee. We'll have to do without him in the near future so it's best to get on with it. We've maximised his value - now's the time to realise it.

He's under contract to us for a further season. He gives us what he's given us this season and there's another £5-6 Million in value to come. If the highest bidder is north of £5-6 Million then yes, we bite the bullet but if it's 20-30% of that, why on earth would we do that?

GBJambo

As he clearly wants away . I wouldn’t play him last 3 games. Might as well give Tagawa a proper shot and get some pace in and around him with Oda and Vargas . 

sjh1874
33 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

That will be the Hearts who put a record breaking deal in front of him with 18 months left on his current deal, that Hearts?

1971fozzy
30 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

And worst post ever goes to……………. This 🤡

May one-six
9 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

He's under contract to us for a further season. He gives us what he's given us this season and there's another £5-6 Million in value to come. If the highest bidder is north of £5-6 Million then yes, we bite the bullet but if it's 20-30% of that, why on earth would we do that?

Clearly it needs to be a decent fee that's on offer. I'd say anything around or above £5m should be considered. If the only bid that comes in is worth sweeties then we keep him until the end of his contract. 

Jim Panzee
34 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

I think our 28 goal striker has hit a nerve with you 🤣

mellors1874
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

And worst post ever goes to……………. This 🤡

Behave yourself lol.

God almighty some seriously sad people in this thread.

You all are happy that a player wants to leave the club.

A player who has only performed at the top level for us and how does he thank us by wanting to leave us.

mellors1874
Just now, Jim Panzee said:

I think our 28 goal striker has hit a nerve with you 🤣

I think our 28 goal striker should remember who took a chance on him when he was pish in Belgium.

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Behave yourself lol.

God almighty some seriously sad people in this thread.

You all are happy that a player wants to leave the club.

A player who has only performed at the top level for us and how does he thank us by wanting to leave us.

You would be better concentrating your nonsense on the players who don't offer much week to week and are happy to pick up a wage rather than someone who has been exceptional and helped earn us millions and who wants to better his career and his families future. Shanks has been outstanding and owes us nothing.

Carter
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

A very good fit. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s fantastic that a pathway has been forged there for Scottish players. Credit to all the boys who’ve gone out there and flown the flag. Been far too long that Englands been a default option for progressing up a level 

Jim Panzee
4 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

I think our 28 goal striker should remember who took a chance on him when he was pish in Belgium.

he has. he's performed exceptionally well and to contract? Not sure what more he can do?

Like every single pro player on the planet, he will be looking to maximise his income - and for the elite players they have the chance to set their families up for generations to come. Once you come to terms with that, great players moving on is just part of the game.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Shankland - wins Cinch Premiership player of the season (updated)