Shankland contract extension ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

Luckies1874
8 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

You are adamant that he won’t sign a contract and will leave in the summer are you his agent you joined kickback in 2022 asking for a friend 

I hope I'm wrong and would love to be proved so in this instance but I'll be amazed if Hearts announce he has signed a new deal. I just don't see it and there is little incentive for him to do so. He's advertised himself constantly playing for us and over a sustained period of time and sadly we aren't very high up the football totem pole so I just think the timing will be right for him to maximise his earning potential. People have been advocating his inclusion in the Scotland squad for some time, do you just think he goes off there, mixes with those playing in England or in the Weeg and hears the trappings and deals and doesn't want that for his family. It's unrealistic to believe in 2024 his advisors are saying stay at Hearts longer than the summer. 

Edited by Luckies1874

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

Armageddon

18 months left and it’s only the SMSM and Hunny pundits trying to get him to SevCo for £500k

Daveandal

Nothing is guaranteed but a few people being pessimistic re group stage situation in the next few years IMO. Its not looking good but it's not impossible we can keep it moving forward. Rangers progressing further would obviously help alot.

Due to the restructure we have 2 Europa League spots this year and one Conference technically.

Also in the group stage there are now more games in the Europa so definitely worth qualifying for it rather than the Conference.

Sorry off topic.

4 hours ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

Aw ffs 😂😂😂

If we’d have offered him that it would have been signed already.

That's what he wants not what's on offer. 

Bongo 1874

Shankland would stay if,there are Certain Gurantees met, do Hearts want to Challenge for Leagues,Cups etc,will Shankland be supplemented with better talent.

And will he be offered a wage,he feels is fair and worth his valuation.

Looking at Rangers.

He would obviously be on more money that we can all agree on.

I think personally at our best we can give them a game,but you are looking at playing with better players.

Then the ambitions of the club? Well they want to win cups etc do well in Europe.

Over to you Hearts.

Edited by Bongo 1874

The White Cockade
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Shankland would stay if,there are Certain Gurantees met, do Hearts want to Challenge for Leagues,Cups etc,will Shankland be supplemented with better talent.

Looking at Rangers.

I think personally at our best we can give them a game,but you are looking at playing with better players.

Then the ambitions of the club? Well they want to win cups etc do well in Europe.

Over to you Hearts.

that’s just your thoughts 

you’ve no idea whether he wants to stay or go

Arthur Morgan
2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

I hope I'm wrong and would love to be proved so in this instance but I'll be amazed if Hearts announce he has signed a new deal. I just don't see it and there is little incentive for him to do so. He's advertised himself constantly playing for us and over a sustained period of time and sadly we aren't very high up the football totem pole so I just think the timing will be right for him to maximise his earning potential. People have been advocating his inclusion in the Scotland squad for some time, do you just think he goes off there, mixes with those playing in England or in the Weeg and hears the trappings and deals and doesn't want that for his family. It's unrealistic to believe in 2024 his advisors are saying stay at Hearts longer than the summer. 

I agree with you, tbh. I can't see him wanting to stay here past the summer.

A lot of chat about the 'weegie' media and they're efforts to get Shankland to Rangers for a bargain.

It does feel particularly extreme the level of coverage and yet there has been nothing to suggest an actual offer has been placed, informally or formally.  That's the line from Hearts at least, but there's nothing of any substance, in any rag, whatsoever.  I don't recall there being such an absence of actual information when it came to the likes of Lafferty and Soutar, for instance.  I don't recall anyone even asking Clement the question, which if they had some inkling Rangers were in for him they could safely enough ask, even knowing the response will simply be that "he won't talk about another teams player" or "its just rumours". It doesn't usually stop them asking.

Maybe all this buzz isn't a covert operation by Rangers.  Maybe it's Shankland's agent, stirring up interest only to negotiate a better pay packet for his client?

I'm stretching, but we can't say they're trying to start a bidding war as there hasn't even been an opening bid yet... 

But it could be argued that Shankland has every intention of staying with Hearts for a wee while yet, but quite rightly is wanting to force the club's hand a bit to secure himself a better, stronger contract that he has more than earned.

All IMO of course. I'm also extremely tired and more hopeful for it, no doubt.

Edited by Rampant

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Huge number of assumptions going into this analysis though.

1. The biggest one, you're assuming Shankland can actually attract a £20k+ offer from somewhere. While I agree that he's at least as good as many strikers in the Championship who are on more than that, one of those clubs has to agree. He's already been burnt a bit with his attempt to go to Belgium and that didn't go well. Clubs in England will take note of that, and the anti-non-OF-Scottish bias will kick in and say he's just found his level. He might get offered that. But he might not.

2. You're assuming that Shankland will prioritize a pay rise over stability. Right now he's close to home, is captain, has a squad built around him, and if he signs a 3.5 year contract he can be fairly well assured that he'll only move if he wants to. That's quite a lot of assurance. If he signs elsewhere, there's every possibility he's in favor of the manager who signs him and then--oops, that manager gets the sack and he disappears to the bench and a long string of loan spells to the basement of English football, renting a flat in the midlands somewhere for six months while his family is either back in Edinburgh or still trying to settle in to Swansea or something. At this point he knows who he is, and he's not a pacy striker or a big strong type who out-muscles defenders for the ball. A club that only wants him to do what he's good at is no small thing.

3. You're assuming that a long-term deal with us forecloses his possibilities of another move. Let's say he ends the season on 35 goals in all competitions, goes to Germany and plays a critical role in a magical run for Scotland. I don't care if he's got 1 or 3 years left on a deal, if a Serie A or Bundesliga  side came knocking with £8m in transfer fees and a £30k/week salary, that extension isn't going to stop anything.

4. You're assuming that for a guy who's well into the second half of his career isn't going to be moved by the potential legend status he clearly has at Hearts. He's talked about how he almost quit football when he was younger because it was so discouraging. Obviously there's an amount of money that will make all of that irrelevant, but every footballer in part wants to be out there on the pitch having the punters sing your name.

Now you could be right in all of that. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong. I'm saying you're arguing that you "just can't see" any way he stays. I'm saying all of the above are open questions that we don't know the answer to. It's entirely possible that the best offers that come in now and over the summer are middling increases over his current wage, that anything better is from a locale he doesn't particularly want to move to, and that he's happy enough with his quality of life that on balance he turns them down.

Edited by Watt-Zeefuik

hmfcbilly
7 hours ago, KG1874 said:

Liverpool did. They kept hold of suarez when he wanted out so much he threatened court when they turned arsenal away after they bid the minimum fee that got them to the table. They still told Suarez he’s staying put. Never say never. 

True. I still dont think we would stand in his way if he really wanted to go privately. We are run by business people predominately now and I think they'd look at getting a few million for someone that cost a few hundred grand as a result if that player isn't happy to stay 

I think we will keep him until the summer, and I think he will then go on the back of the Euro's . I will be honestly surprised if he signs a new deal unless it's to maximise his current income before moving for an even bigger deal in the summer 

5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Looking at Rangers.

Over to you Hearts.

I'm not sure you are being serious here?  Every single team in the world wants this that's the whole point to playing the game and to suggest anything else is madness, especially hinting that your own club is not interested in doing this! However it is impossible to give a player a guarantee that the club will bring in better players to supplement one player.

There is a lot of people on here getting knickers in a twist and demanding the club do this or that to keep Shankland.  Are we not forgetting that the club is bigger than the player?  Yes it would be painful to lose him in the summer (he ain't going anywhere in this window) but if he does go we will be compensated.  We lost Robbo, Skacel and going back Dave  Mackay to name just a few, but we moved on, players get better than the club sometimes.

I still hope he will stay, shankland just fits Hearts, if he doesn't, we get a bag of cash and try to find a better replacement, that's how it works.

been here before
7 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are you sure? What about the ITK posters on here who know how agents work, who know Shankland and what he is feeling and who know that our offer of £8k/£10k/£12k/£15k/£18k for 3/4/5 years is rubbish and his agent will simply get a much better offer without breaking sweat. 

7 hours ago, Deevers said:

Fantasists the lot of them.

@kingantti1874 and @Luckies1874 are my 2 favourites on this current fantasist thread. The knowledge they both have has no beggining and the fantasay scenarios they both create have no end.

@kingantti1874in particular, how he hasnt been snapped up to sit on the board of the club in an 'Advisor on Everything' capacity is staggering in its ineptitude.

I reckon he's the man who could spring us to the mythical but much vaunted 'next level'

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, fila said:

I think we will keep him until the summer, and I think he will then go on the back of the Euro's . I will be honestly surprised if he signs a new deal unless it's to maximise his current income before moving for an even bigger deal in the summer 

More or less my thoughts. Even if he does sign a deal I think he’ll be gone in the summer. 

Edited by GinRummy

7 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No anger, just having a laugh at this thread and calling you out as a slaver.   Hope you tell your bestie that we all want him to stay next time you see him though. 👍

He's not my bestie, far from it. But I know more about him than you do.👍

I think he will be gone summer at latest and in all fairness I don't think anybody should be castigating him for that. If he can earn a couple of million or so a year for the next 3 or 4 years, which I think he can, he will take it and he would be an idiot not to.

I know there will be people here who would say I wouldn't but in reality the vast majority would, because again it would be idiotic not to and the vast majority are not idiots, neither is Shankland. And especially so when you didn't grow up a Hearts fan like him.

This is likely going to be his last big contract, the best contract he will ever get and it could set him up for life. He wouldn't need to work another day when it's all over if he didn't want to, he and his family could have a luxurious life free of money worries.

He has to take it, his family will tell him he has to take it.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

3rd doesn’t guarantee group stage European football and iirc this is the last season that the cup winners / 3rd are guaranteed group stages.  3rd place in Scotland usually results in early exit in the qualifying rounds.  The last two seasons have been the exception to that due to Rangers having a brief bit of success in Europe but that won’t last especially with Celtic being so hopeless in Europe.

Bit harsh on celtic.

Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell,  Aberdeen,  killie and even Rangers in the actual EC were also hopeless. Ranger's iirc had the worst group stage ever.

Killie and Motherwell have both been emptied by Welshteams recently.

Then you have celtic who cannae even win a game!

Other clubs could also do with pulling their weight. 

As you say tho, likley a bit away from that.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think he will be gone summer at latest and in all fairness I don't think anybody should be castigating him for that. If he can earn a couple of million or so a year for the next 3 or 4 years, which I think he can, he will take it and he would be an idiot not to.

I know there will be people here who would say I wouldn't but in reality the vast majority would, because again it would be idiotic not to and the vast majority are not idiots, neither is Shankland. And especially so when you didn't grow up a Hearts fan like him.

This is likely going to be his last big contract, the best contract he will ever get and it could set him up for life. He wouldn't need to work another day when it's all over if he didn't want to, he and his family could have a luxurious life free of money worries.

He has to take it, his family will tell him he has to take it.

Disagree, you say a million a year, but Hearts are offering over 1/2 million a year. 

£2million a year is over £40k a week, he isn't getting  that type of wage unless he goes to Saudi etc. That's higher paid than every OF player.( or right up there).

It's not such an idiotic choice to stay at a club you are earning that money,  enjoying it and have a long term contract.

If the the reported £1/2m a year plus signing ,on fee etc are true as well as the extended deal he'll have a good life either way.

It wouldn't be idiotic to earn £1/2 million a year at a place you love,  are settled and playing well.

His choice isn't breadline or millionaire.

Bit idiotic to suggest that playing for Hearts on around £10k a week is an idiotic choice tbh.

Hopefully the folk at the club don't have that in their sales pitch.

TexasAndy
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Disagree, you say a million a year, but Hearts are offering over 1/2 million a year. 

£2million a year is over £40k a week, he isn't getting  that type of wage unless he goes to Saudi etc. That's higher paid than every OF player.( or right up there).

It's not such an idiotic choice to stay at a club you are earning that money,  enjoying it and have a long term contract.

If the the reported £1/2m a year plus signing ,on fee etc are true as well as the extended deal he'll have a good life either way.

It wouldn't be idiotic to earn £1/2 million a year at a place you love,  are settled and playing well.

Bit idiotic to suggest that playing for Hearts on around £10k a week is an idiotic choice tbh.

This is what I was thinking.  Basically the new contract would make him a millionaire.  Yes of course he can make more elsewhere but this contract would set most of us up for life.  

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Looking at Rangers.

Over to you Hearts.

Wtf you on about?

Ofc Hearts want all that.

Do you think the board ate like, "well.. top 6, nae clubs, nae European football and we want to sign shite players and we wanna so shite?

We could say we want to win the UCL but it would mean nothing- just like Vlad did.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It is idiotic when he could earn 4 times that much, as much in a single year as in 4 years. As much in 4 years as if he were on a 16 year 10K contract.

I don't know what makes you think he would have to go to Saudi, he could get 2 million a year in the English Championship or even at the OF.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

This is what I was thinking.  Basically the new contract would make him a millionaire.  Yes of course he can make more elsewhere but this contract would set most of us up for life.  

Also length of deal, if we go baw deep in a 4/5 year deal then it helps balance out an extra £5k or so a week on a 2/3 year deal.

Unless a club offers double/ triple money then  our deal holds up well.

Plus the reported large fee for extending.

Folk talking like we're making Shankland a pauper, we'll be chucking  £3-£4m at him over 4 years!

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Also length of deal, if we go baw deep in a 4/5 year deal then it helps balance out an extra £5k or so a week on a 2/3 year deal.

Unless a club offers double/ triple money then  our deal holds up well.

Plus the reported large fee for extending.

Folk talking like we're making Shankland a pauper, we'll be chucking  £3-£4m at him over 4 years!

Nobody is saying anybody is making Shankland a pauper, you just said that. It's fine it's your opinion such a contract will keep him, but I don't think it will hold up. What will you think it was for if/when he does go?

5 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Huge number of assumptions going into this analysis though.

1. The biggest one, you're assuming Shankland can actually attract a £20k+ offer from somewhere. While I agree that he's at least as good as many strikers in the Championship who are on more than that, one of those clubs has to agree. He's already been burnt a bit with his attempt to go to Belgium and that didn't go well. Clubs in England will take note of that, and the anti-non-OF-Scottish bias will kick in and say he's just found his level. He might get offered that. But he might not.

2. You're assuming that Shankland will prioritize a pay rise over stability. Right now he's close to home, is captain, has a squad built around him, and if he signs a 3.5 year contract he can be fairly well assured that he'll only move if he wants to. That's quite a lot of assurance. If he signs elsewhere, there's every possibility he's in favor of the manager who signs him and then--oops, that manager gets the sack and he disappears to the bench and a long string of loan spells to the basement of English football, renting a flat in the midlands somewhere for six months while his family is either back in Edinburgh or still trying to settle in to Swansea or something. At this point he knows who he is, and he's not a pacy striker or a big strong type who out-muscles defenders for the ball. A club that only wants him to do what he's good at is no small thing.

3. You're assuming that a long-term deal with us forecloses his possibilities of another move. Let's say he ends the season on 35 goals in all competitions, goes to Germany and plays a critical role in a magical run for Scotland. I don't care if he's got 1 or 3 years left on a deal, if a Serie A or Bundesliga  side came knocking with £8m in transfer fees and a £30k/week salary, that extension isn't going to stop anything.

4. You're assuming that for a guy who's well into the second half of his career isn't going to be moved by the potential legend status he clearly has at Hearts. He's talked about how he almost quit football when he was younger because it was so discouraging. Obviously there's an amount of money that will make all of that irrelevant, but every footballer in part wants to be out there on the pitch having the punters sing your name.

Now you could be right in all of that. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong. I'm saying you're arguing that you "just can't see" any way he stays. I'm saying all of the above are open questions that we don't know the answer to. It's entirely possible that the best offers that come in now and over the summer are middling increases over his current wage, that anything better is from a locale he doesn't particularly want to move to, and that he's happy enough with his quality of life that on balance he turns them down.

I’ve always found the fact that the anti-Scottish bias only applies to non-OF clubs a little bizarre. People do realise that scoring 20+ goals for an SPL side is much harder if you’re playing for a team with a quarter of the OF’s budget?

3 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I’ve always found the fact that the anti-Scottish bias only applies to non-OF clubs a little bizarre. People do realise that scoring 20+ goals for an SPL side is much harder if you’re playing for a team with a quarter of the OF’s budget?

Agree with this. I always wondered how many goals Robbo would have scored if he had been playing for Rangers.

It's fair to say the OF consistently create far more chances for strikers than anyone else does. You see games where they're having over 30 shots at goal albeit not all on target. Any good striker should be able to get goals from that. 

11 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Agree with this. I always wondered how many goals Robbo would have scored if he had been playing for Rangers.

And then presumably thank God that he didn't!

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It is idiotic when he could earn 4 times that much, as much in a single year as in 4 years. As much in 4 years as if he were on a 16 year 10K contract.

I don't know what makes you think he would have to go to Saudi, he could get 2 million a year in the English Championship or even at the OF.

£40k a week?

The OF aren't offering him that, guys like Jota, Kygo, Morelos etc  were on £20-£30k.

He's not getting £40k a week at a championship club either, guys like Mckenna and that midfielder at Luton were on £10-£15k a week and got it doubled on promotion. 

even then, if he was offered this- statingcat Hearts isn't an "idoitic" choice.

It's never an idiotic choice to earn £500k a year at a place you enjoy and have security and play for Hearts. 

It may be reasonable or understandable to move ,  but it's not idiotic  to stay.

2 minutes ago, Forrest said:

And then presumably thank God that he didn't!

Probably lucky he played pre Bosman or mostly, he was already in his 30's when Bosman kicked in. Bosman was the real killer blow for non OF sides.

Ex member of the SaS

Negatives for staying: Relatively low wages and third in the league at best.

Positives for going to the Hun: Second/first in the league, Possible Champs league football and higher wages.

I don't think he will go now but I can't see him renewing his contract, Sevco have shot their bolt money wise and can't afford the fee. But in the summer Shanks's worth will have diminished, that's not even counting lost form or injuries.

Just keep banging them in for us until the summer by which time we should be in a strong position to afford and attract a quality replacement.

gordon simpson
7 hours ago, Rampant said:

A lot of chat about the 'weegie' media and they're efforts to get Shankland to Rangers for a bargain.

It does feel particularly extreme the level of coverage and yet there has been nothing to suggest an actual offer has been placed, informally or formally.  That's the line from Hearts at least, but there's nothing of any substance, in any rag, whatsoever.  I don't recall there being such an absence of actual information when it came to the likes of Lafferty and Soutar, for instance.  I don't recall anyone even asking Clement the question, which if they had some inkling Rangers were in for him they could safely enough ask, even knowing the response will simply be that "he won't talk about another teams player" or "its just rumours". It doesn't usually stop them asking.

Maybe all this buzz isn't a covert operation by Rangers.  Maybe it's Shankland's agent, stirring up interest only to negotiate a better pay packet for his client?

I'm stretching, but we can't say they're trying to start a bidding war as there hasn't even been an opening bid yet... 

But it could be argued that Shankland has every intention of staying with Hearts for a wee while yet, but quite rightly is wanting to force the club's hand a bit to secure himself a better, stronger contract that he has more than earned.

All IMO of course. I'm also extremely tired and more hopeful for it, no doubt.

we are all greeting about the weegies trying to rip us off right after us shafting Ross County ,Scottish football is a shit hole 

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

£40k a week?

The OF aren't offering him that, guys like Jota, Kygo, Morelos etc  were on £20-£30k.

He's not getting £40k a week at a championship club either, guys like Mckenna and that midfielder at Luton were on £10-£15k a week and got it doubled on promotion. 

It's never an idiotic choice to earn £500k a year at a place you enjoy and have security and play for Hearts. 

It may be reasonable or understandable to move ,  but it's not idiotic  to stay.

He most certainly can get 40K a week believe me. Remember Joe Aribo who played for Rangers and now Southampton in the Championship? He's on 4 million a year and he's not a striker who tend more frequently than others get the top wages.

And the OF absolutely could and would pay 2 million a year if they thought it might get them into the CL where tens of million are on offer. Morelos got a 30K plus contract years ago now. And speaking of the OF you don't think a chance to earn million sand play in the CL wouldn't turn the head of any player?

And it wouldn't even need to be that much to entice him away. The 30K Morelos was on would do it. Time will tell but I think you're approaching it with your heart rather than hard logic.

RustyRightPeg
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

£40k a week?

Championship clubs can quite easily pay £40K a week. Without breaking sweat. 

hughesie27
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

1. Leicester City – £60,190,000
2. Southampton – £40,014,000
3. Leeds United – £39,513,000
4. Norwich City – £24,196,000
5. West Bromwich Albion – £23,060,000
6. Cardiff City – £19,444,000
7. Stoke City – £18,340,000
8. Watford – £14,952,000
9. Sheffield Wednesday – £14,584,000
10. Middlesbrough – £13,582,000
11. Birmingham City – £13,228,000
12. Bristol City – £12,894,000
13. Hull City – £12,333,200
14. Swansea City – £12,276,000
15. Queens Park Rangers – £12,020,000
16. Ipswich Town – £11,378,000
17. Preston North End – £10,942,200
18. Coventry City – £10,008,000
19. Millwall – £9,856,000
20. Huddersfield Town – £9,258,000
21. Sunderland – £9,150,000
22. Blackburn Rovers – £7,678,000
23. Rotherham United – £6,674,000
24. Plymouth Argyle – £6,060,000

3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Correct, the English Championship is one of the richest leagues in Europe, and far and away the richest second tier league.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

not all and Mkenna who went fir a decent fee wasn't on that.

Not many championship clubs will pay a high fee and that sort of wages for Shankland. 

In fact,  I'll stick my neck out and say none will.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Correct, the English Championship is one of the richest leagues in Europe, and far and away the richest second tier league.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

1. Leicester City – £60,190,000
2. Southampton – £40,014,000
3. Leeds United – £39,513,000
4. Norwich City – £24,196,000
5. West Bromwich Albion – £23,060,000
6. Cardiff City – £19,444,000
7. Stoke City – £18,340,000
8. Watford – £14,952,000
9. Sheffield Wednesday – £14,584,000
10. Middlesbrough – £13,582,000
11. Birmingham City – £13,228,000
12. Bristol City – £12,894,000
13. Hull City – £12,333,200
14. Swansea City – £12,276,000
15. Queens Park Rangers – £12,020,000
16. Ipswich Town – £11,378,000
17. Preston North End – £10,942,200
18. Coventry City – £10,008,000
19. Millwall – £9,856,000
20. Huddersfield Town – £9,258,000
21. Sunderland – £9,150,000
22. Blackburn Rovers – £7,678,000
23. Rotherham United – £6,674,000
24. Plymouth Argyle – £6,060,000

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

not all and Mkenna who went fir a decent fee wasn't on that.

Not many championship clubs will pay a high fee and that sort of wages for Shankland. 

In fact,  I'll stick my neck out and say none will.

soonbe110
47 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Indeed 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He most certainly can get 40K a week believe me. Remember Joe Aribo who played for Rangers and now Southampton in the Championship? He's on 4 million a year and he's not a striker who tend more frequently than others get the top wages.

And the OF absolutely could and would pay 2 million a year if they thought it might get them into the CL where tens of million are on offer. Morelos got a 30K plus contract years ago now. And speaking of the OF you don't think a chance to earn million sand play in the CL wouldn't turn the head of any player?

And it wouldn't even need to be that much to entice him away. The 30K Morelos was on would do it. Time will tell but I think you're approaching it with your heart rather than hard logic.

You think Southampton will buy Shankland and pay him £40k a week or Rangers will make him a top earner?

IB don't understand your logic.

It's still not an " idiotic " choice either to stay at Hearts.

I'd understand if he moves for more money, but I certainly disagree that it's an idiotic choice to stay with Hearts, that was my point and still is.

48 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I don't know if that might be connected to the fact OF players have often proven themselves at a higher level in Europe.  

hughesie27
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I agree no team is offering 40k a week for a 28 year old that's unproven in England.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

You think Southampton will buy Shankland and pay him £40k a week or Rangers will make him a top earner?

IB don't understand your logic.

It's still not an " idiotic " choice either to stay at Hearts.

I'd understand if he moves for more money, but I certainly disagree that it's an idiotic choice to stay with Hearts, that was my point and still is.

Yes I absolutely think he will move for more money, and it is idiotic from a financial perspective to turn it down, that's inarguable. I suspect any father might tell his son that. 

Some absolute lunatics on this thread. 40 grand a week. 🤣🤣

Not one single confirmed note of interest. 

AC Mallin_51
20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Pretty sure it’s the 6th richest league in Europe (behind the big 5)

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, scottg71 said:

Some absolute lunatics on this thread. 40 grand a week. 🤣🤣

Not one single confirmed note of interest. 

🤣  I'm struggling to believe what I'm reading tbh

Just now, AC Mallin_51 said:

Yeah I knew it was either 5th or 6th richest. Only a handful of top leagues beat them, they're cash rich by any standards. I wish Scottish football had a fraction of what they have.

By The Light..

Well done Hearts doing all the right things to build the team and retain key players.

If Shankland does or doesn't stay in season 24/25 nothing we can do about it.

I hope to be watching him for the forseeable in maroon as we challenge in league and cups

AC Mallin_51

I absolutely love Shankland, I’m too young to remember Robbo so he’s easily the best finisher I’ve seen play for the club. He comes across as a good, level headed guy and has always acted professionally during his time with us. I’ll be honest though I’m ready for this saga to be over. If the club have set a deadline and an improved offer that makes me think this is as far as the club will go. I’d like to think the club have done everything they can to keep him and if he wants to knock that back then so be it. He then leaves in the summer for a decent fee or he’s a Hearts player for another 18 months. I just think there’s a real feel good factor at the moment with the way results are going and I just think if it comes to light today that he’s not signing on the dotted line that it’ll deflate a lot of the support. I’ll be gutted if he doesn’t but unfortunately that’s football and there’s no player bigger than the club. I’m just getting a bit bored of reading one minute he’s signing, one minute he’s going to rangers, the next he’s going down south for crazy wages, then to Saudi, then back to signing with us then us offering embarrassing wages 😂 it’s all been rather crazy

johnking123

He stays to summer and helps us get into Europe. Then then goes to Saudi League  for a few million. Then will except that.

7 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Off topic slightly probably the league in Europe with the biggest debt and losses per year. Some clubs spending money like a lottery winner. Gone tits up for example Sheff Wed, Reading, Bolton and Wigan to name just a few , doesn't seem to have impacted the other clubs who still spend , spend, spend.