Shankland contract extension ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

hughesie27
Just now, Gordon_1874 said:

Why are the media desperate for him to leave Hearts ? What do they gain from him moving on ? Genuinely bizarre

Also been 0 signs other than Rangers fans desperate for him to suggest Rangers are even interested.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

I don't think anyone really expected him to extend his deal with us before the last week or so when the pretend ITKs started to get involved.

Doesn't really change the fact it doesn't make sense to sell this window, despite the palpable desperation from the weegie press for Rangers to sign him.

Just now, DC_92 said:

I don't think anyone really expected him to extend his deal with us before the last week or so when the pretend ITKs started to get involved.

Doesn't really change the fact it doesn't make sense to sell this window, despite the palpable desperation from the weegie press for Rangers to sign him.

Unless they come up with the Five million plus.  That’s very, very unlikely.

hmfc4life1991

It's the Sun....I wouldn't even bloody trust them if they told me water was wet! 

jambo mark
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sunsport understands. 😄

Were they not the ones who said that Clement had recalled Lowry, only for Naismith to come out an hour later and say we sent him back as couldn’t guarantee him game time. 

Utter drivel. Clickbait at best

PaddysBar
16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Didn’t get us third or a cup win last season.    I guess your argument is supported by the fact that no-one has scored for Spurs and they haven’t improved since Kane left. 

You seem to be looking for an argument. Not interested. 

15 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

Wouldn’t matter if we cup tied him or not cause he won’t be playing for anyone else in the SC this season anyway - Rangers are not going to pay what we want & we won’t back down so they’ll hold off on any offers until the summer 

AC Mallin_51

Is there another country where the media do everything they can to try turn players heads and just overall try to sway the fortune in favour of a select (2) number of teams? 

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Player doesn't accept first offer. Shock horror. Sun stirring up shite as usual.

I suspect its his agent use the press to put pressure on Hearts to give a much bigger offer (the agent hopes fans will be annoyed at a "minimal increase" offered by the board when they want him signed, and agents pressure the board to put wage offer much higher.)

4 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Is there another country where the media do everything they can to try turn players heads and just overall try to sway the fortune in favour of a select (2) number of teams? 

Almost certainly not, there’s a very inevitable feel to this now aswell unfortunately. I can accept it if we get a good fee but if we roll over as per I think a large portion of our crowd will be have had with this board.

Bob Loblaw
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I suspect its his agent use the press to put pressure on Hearts to give a much bigger offer (the agent hopes fans will be annoyed at a "minimal increase" offered by the board when they want him signed, and agents pressure the board to put wage offer much higher.)

Yeah. Truth will be in between  somewhere. Story might be true in him not signing it, but I don't think Hearts are daft enough to leak the story about him being offered the best deal in 10 years when it's easily disproved. Feels like a game of chess. Which might be good in a perverse sort of way, if he had no intention at all the agents wouldn't be trying to apply pressure. 

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Yeah. Truth will be in between  somewhere. Story might be true in him not signing it, but I don't think Hearts are daft enough to leak the story about him being offered the best deal in 10 years when it's easily disproved. Feels like a game of chess. Which might be good in a perverse sort of way, if he had no intention at all the agents wouldn't be trying to apply pressure. 

Unfortunately that is what happens with these things, it can be both sides trying to play anything to get the best deal so can take time. But I still think there can be a benefit for both where Hearts agree a release clause on the expectation Shankland goes in the summer, while Shankland gets six months of much bigger wages. But obviously the risks of no one coming in paying the price in the Summer is what makes that a risk for both sides.

44 minutes ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Why are the media desperate for him to leave Hearts ? What do they gain from him moving on ? Genuinely bizarre

Because if they can push the agenda rangers want and the deal happens rangers will in turn give them inside stories complementary tickets to European games and anything else that helps them devalue and undermine any club’s assets 

it’s tapping up in the most blatant way yet goes unnoticed 

tiger Rudi

Not that I think Rangers will get him before the window shuts, but we should be speaking to Van Veen just in case. 

Losing Shanks in a last minute deal would **** us right up. 

Genuinely think Hearts will hold on to him until the summer but if he wants away there is nowt we can do about it. (Assuming a bid meets our valuation). 

Hope Hearts make him run his contract down!

Personally would rather see him in maroon for a further 18months then lose him for nowt! 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Sun is a rag and always has been, I'm comfortable with what mckinlay and Naismith have told us 

lost in space

We know Shankland wants to go to the Euros in the summer so we should tell him he is staying til then on his current contract.

We also tell him that we want him to sign an extended contract to summer 2026.

We don't want to break the wage structure so are willing to pay him a bonus if he will sign -£200k.

Too simple?? - yes, I thought so.........

thehibsareintheirbeds
32 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I wish I trusted the people that run our club to get this right. 

Exactly how I feel, should be nothing to worry about...in a great position. 18 months left, needs games for euros, should be going nowhere unless it's a crazy offer but just this wee fear in the back of my head.

Still hopeful though!

Smith&Weston

Shankland is worth £4-£5m at 28 to Hearts but likely to drop to £2m at 30 in 18 months time.  I’d just keep him for 18 months and secure the £5m European money and take our chances nobody wants him then.  We only paid £500k or something for him.

SpruceBringsteen

The Scottish BBC still employs Willie Miller and Pat Bonner. They're in their 70s. The Daily Record today has published a story with the Scottish Sun as their source. 

I mean I'm no one of they einsteins, but maybe stop listening to cretins talking shite to bum up the old firm

Greedy Jambo

I can't see Shankland signing a new deal, if it was good enough, he would have done it by now, No?

I suppose the sudden influx/outflux (is that a word?) of players out the door might mean a 2nd offer is coming his way. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

colinmorewasgash

Agent tapped by sevco offering 10 to 12k. Hearts won't pay but sevco can't afford to pay 5m so unsettle, offer measly offers then agree somewhere in middle with payment plans, so many games, fees and season ticket money in june. Usual sevco tactics to get what they want, shanks on sevco bench by jan next year.

Fozzyonthefence
51 minutes ago, Smith&Weston said:

Shankland is worth £4-£5m at 28 to Hearts but likely to drop to £2m at 30 in 18 months time.  I’d just keep him for 18 months and secure the £5m European money and take our chances nobody wants him then.  We only paid £500k or something for him.

He’s worth zero in 18 months, his contract is up so he goes on a free transfer.  I think most of us are realistic enough to realise he wont sign a new contract and I doubt he will be here next season but no chance he will be signing for Rangers this transfer window, absolutely none. 

Stendelnator

Ultimately if he goes on a free transfer in 18 months, having scored near enough 100 goals, I'm quite content with that. 

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Ultimately if he goes on a free transfer in 18 months, having scored near enough 100 goals, I'm quite content with that. 

Agreed but 100 goals is a tad optimistic!   Assuming he doesn’t extend his contract this summer is probably the time to sell but I’d rather have him for another 18 months.  We’ve waited 25 years for a striker of this calibre (and I’m guessing his numbers are actually better than Robbo’s), good chance we won’t get another one before I’m pushing daisies up. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

wattie exploited

make me laugh that rangers and the daily record and the sun and every bloody rangers ex players trying to get Shanklands head turned total numptys  !:flagwave:

unless they stump up 5 or 6 million then he aint going anywhere in the next few weeks :rifle:

as they say get on your bike muppets                  :scooter:                  :scooter:

42 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

make me laugh that rangers and the daily record and the sun and every bloody rangers ex players trying to get Shanklands head turned total numptys  !:flagwave:

unless they stump up 5 or 6 million then he aint going anywhere in the next few weeks :rifle:

as they say get on your bike muppets                  :scooter:                  :scooter:

🎶 "Feck you Rangers, ye hav'nae got the dough, ye hav'nae got the dough, ye..." 🎶 

Edited by martoon

Watt-Zeefuik

Wait, we're supposed to believe that in the middle of peak COVID and flu season, Shanks took a plane trip to Dubai and somehow mysteriously got a viral illness that's made him not able to play. And the staff don't want him to come to the club because he might be "contagious."

How is that believable?

:conspiracy:

Section Q

We probably should have offered him an extension around a year ago. Hindsight's a wonderful thing...!

Bungalow Bill

For me, if shanks is looking for say £12K-£15K a week I’d give it to him. We’ve actually got a guy who can score 20+ goals a season, they don’t come along that often. 

Also, what else would be do with the money, probably waste it on a 3-4 players who won’t make the same level of contribution. 

Maybe we’ve offered an amount within that range already though, I don’t know. 

chrisyboy7
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

We probably should have offered him an extension around a year ago. Hindsight's a wonderful thing...!

This.....the people at the top have made an arse if it again...

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, chrisyboy7 said:

This.....the people at the top have made an arse if it again...

Can't blame the club here , he's still got 18 months so the club still in a strong position on this one 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Not so long ago we had Hearts fans saying he was fat , lazy and should be dropped to the bench! Club are blameless on this one imo

Bull's-eye

Shanks will clearly be away soon enough. Anybody else feeling sorry for the goon squad that grizzle and moan about everything and haven’t been able to enjoy watching Shanks over the past couple of seasons, the same goons incidentally that want the club to now break the bank for him. There's a lesson in there somewhere  😀

i wish jj was my dad
14 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Tosh actually said that he played better for Hearts than he was for Celtic when he was capped. 

Goodness knows how many Scotland caps Jim Cruickshank would have got if he had transferred to Celtic or Rangers. He's by no means the only example.

Tosh going to France 98 instead of Neil McCann🤦

Peakybunnet
6 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

The Scottish BBC still employs Willie Miller and Pat Bonner. They're in their 70s. The Daily Record today has published a story with the Scottish Sun as their source. 

I mean I'm no one of they einsteins, but maybe stop listening to cretins talking shite to bum up the old firm

To be fair to Willie Miller he might look in his 70,s but he’s only 68. 😀

Gordon Ramsay

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true given what McKinlay said about our wage structure. 

Happy to fork out a few hundred grand on crap Australians but won't push the boat out for the best striker we've had since Robbo 🤣

Even if Shankland doesn't sign a new contract, Rangers either can't afford him or won't pay what we are looking for. 

So nothing has changed imo. Just more articles using wild headlines for clicks

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true given what McKinlay said about our wage structure. 

Happy to fork out a few hundred grand on crap Australians but won't push the boat out for the best striker we've had since Robbo 🤣

I agree.  Was part of my frustration with that interview. There was no need to say anything.

i also do not believe our structure is correct. We waste millions on dross in wages and fees.  

When we find a diamond we simply have to find a way to keep them it won’t always come off but we certainly shouldn’t be out of by a few grand a week.  We need to run a smaller squad, and rely on the academy.  Secure our big talents on good good wages and if we do lose them lose them for a big big fee. 

I also don’t buy into th other players get upset narrative. The vast majority of clubs pay their players hugely differing amounts.  Scott mctominay is on about £30k per week at Man U and has been their best players this season. Rashford and co are on about £300k per week.  Players are free to negotiate their own deals . If they deliver on the pitch then they will be in a better position to negotiate next time around.  

What we pay shanks does not impact what we pay anyone else.  If they behave like children and take the huff then they know where the door is.  Shanks aside not many of our players have done enough to be irreplaceable. 

I’ll be honest if shanks ended up at rangers or anyone  on £12k per week I’d be absolutely ****ing fuming. We can afford it easily probably by just adding Halliday’s wage and Lowry’s wage to his existing wage. I’m not even counting McGovern or Smith.  

1971fozzy
16 minutes ago, Mirror said:

Even if Shankland doesn't sign a new contract, Rangers either can't afford him or won't pay what we are looking for. 

So nothing has changed imo. Just more articles using wild headlines for clicks

If , as being reported by a few rags, we have offered him a shite increase then it’s clear the club doesn’t value him anywhere near what we all think.

Rangers can afford him. They can pay him what he wants as well. 
And, they can turn a players head too. They’ve done it for years. I don’t like Andrew McKinlay who just reminds me of the pieman in all sorts of ways.

1971fozzy
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I agree.  Was part of my frustration with that interview. There was no need to say anything.

i also do not believe our structure is correct. We waste millions on dross in wages and fees.  

When we find a diamond we simply have to find a way to keep them it won’t always come off but we certainly shouldn’t be out of by a few grand a week.  We need to run a smaller squad, and rely on the academy.  Secure our big talents on good good wages and if we do lose them lose them for a big big fee. 

I also don’t buy into th other players get upset narrative. The vast majority of clubs pay their players hugely differing amounts.  Scott mctominay is on about £30k per week at Man U and has been their best players this season. Rashford and co are on about £300k per week.  Players are free to negotiate their own deals . If they deliver on the pitch then they will be in a better position to negotiate next time around.  

What we pay shanks does not impact what we pay anyone else.  If they behave like children and take the huff then they know where the door is.  Shanks aside not many of our players have done enough to be irreplaceable. 

I’ll be honest if shanks ended up at rangers or anyone  on £12k per week I’d be absolutely ****ing fuming. We can afford it easily probably by just adding Halliday’s wage and Lowry’s wage to his existing wage. I’m not even counting McGovern or Smith.  

great post. Agree 100%

prepare to be called angry by “the condescending one” now tough 

soonbe110
9 hours ago, jambo_74 said:

Sorry, am I reading this right? Are you saying that the club has no involvement in the negotiations? How can an agent negotiate on behalf of both the club and the player?

No, I was saying that agents do all the work and negotiating. Easy for McKinlay to say he hasn’t heard a thing from any other club, but he will probably have had several discussions with Savage and a players agent re what we will accept, what the payment schedule would look like etc if a club was willing to make an offer. Similarly the agent will be talking to the buying club about fee, wages, length of contract etc. Once those details are pretty much tied down a club makes an offer. 

Amazing what an obvious media tap up based on nothing except a rehash of one of our own media releases can do to so many Hearts supporters arses . Toughen up ffs . Rangers can either afford him or they cannot . I would say it is pretty obvious they cannot afford him so he stays until the summer . If he earns us group stages he has earned us a five to six million transfer fee on top of anything we get for him in the summer window . If we manage to hold on until the Euros are over then there is every chance he could earn us a better fee and himself a better move . Either way , if we keep him until the summer and we get to the group stages then that will do for me