Does anyone know what this is?

PaddysBar

A pal bought this in a flea market in Holland and thought there may be an Edinburgh connection. 

It looks like some kind of regimental badge but a quick google hasn’t helped. 

Any ideas? Thanks. 

cf77e991-829a-45ef-89c2-5bf3aaf86a1a.jpeg

Those are very rare.

It's from ww2, It was to be worn by NCO's and officers to identify which area they were to occupy basicly like a unit patch. It was to make it easy to find a group with the same objective if like the allies the invasion went wrong and units got scattered or lost.

1 hour ago, Herbert. said:

Those are very rare.

It's from ww2, It was to be worn by NCO's and officers to identify which area they were to occupy basicly like a unit patch. It was to make it easy to find a group with the same objective if like the allies the invasion went wrong and units got scattered or lost.

Interesting stuff. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Those are very rare.

I dont think thats what it is. Theres no reference that I can find anywhere of a unit/brigade/battalion called Portobellos.

If its ww2 and if  its military (and it looks in very good nick to be 80odd years old), then Id hazard a guess that if the Portobello refers to Edinburgh then it could be a Home Guard patch.

The 4th Battalion City of Edinburgh Home Guard were attached to The Royal Scots whose badges they wore on their caps. Each individual battalion of Home Guard, Edinburgh had 10 I think, were stationed in different parts of the city and had identification patches. The headquarters of the 4th battalion were in Portobello.

Ill emphasise that the above is a bit of guesswork, some suposition and a little knowledge and could be very wrong 😄

Something says police to me and those plants, foliage obviously signify something.

Edited by been here before