Bought car outright when I retired

Any JKBers got any tips/reccomendatons?

Licence and vehicle licence applications are in

insurance is mental

been here before
11 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Watch out for the insurance, it's mental.

I P Knightley

My Mum's neighbour retired and did similar to what you're planning. Got himself a Prius and picks and chooses a few hours to do.

I'm not sure whether Uber insist on a minimum number of hours or want commitment to certain shifts (e.g. what if there's something good on the telly and you can't be arsed doing your planned shift?) I think you control when you work completely.

One thing he said, though, was about the insurance. Apparently it's mental.

Private hire driving isn't really a subject I know much about so, sorry, can't offer any advice on that.

However, insurance?

Mental.

Won't you need to take out physical as well as mental insurance though? You don't want to be out of pocket if either you or are your car are physically damaged.

Maybe I should try insurance instead 

Mental money in it 

Seriously been quoted 3 and 4 grand a year

fabienleclerq

How's the insurance?

I don't have any particular advice but use PH regularly for work, the guys tend to work for capital and have Uber and Bolt on the go aswell always scanning for the best jobs.

Konrad von Carstein

Done some private hire driving many years ago when I was between jobs following redundancy.

No flucking way would I be doing that again, opened my eyes to the amount of utter wastrels and downright unpleasant (& dangerous) arseholes who walk among us.

That's before we get to the fact that I was possibly THE worst driver ever to have taken on the role, hopeless, utterly hopeless :lol:

Thankfully it was a fairly short "career" :ninja:

Good luck!

been here before
42 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Done some private hire driving many years ago when I was between jobs following redundancy.

No flucking way would I be doing that again, opened my eyes to the amount of utter wastrels and downright unpleasant (& dangerous) arseholes who walk among us.

That's before we get to the fact that I was possibly THE worst driver ever to have taken on the role, hopeless, utterly hopeless :lol:

Thankfully it was a fairly short "career" :ninja:

Good luck!

What was the insurance like?

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You need to have diesel car too 

I thought that the Prius was virtually compulsory; a rite of passage.

It may be a 'gateway' vehicle, leading on to something more exotic. Recent trips I've had have included a VW electric Golf type thing (ID3??) and a Tesla.

They're not cheap cars. I can't begin to imagine what the commercial insurance is like on them.

4 hours ago, gjcc said:

My great grandfather became a cheesemonger when he retired. Didn’t think it was worth it in the end. Costs were Emmental

Real mature...

Came in here looking for fake taxi jokes and you're all just banging on about insurance. You let me down kickback.

...a bit disco
12 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I thought that the Prius was virtually compulsory; a rite of passage.

It may be a 'gateway' vehicle, leading on to something more exotic. Recent trips I've had have included a VW electric Golf type thing (ID3??) and a Tesla.

They're not cheap cars. I can't begin to imagine what the commercial insurance is like on them.

Ioniqs are the 'goto' car of choice now.

Insurance quotes on them are pretty mental though. 

Edited by ...a bit disco

Howdy Doody Jambo
On 06/12/2023 at 16:33, Jamhammer said:

Okay JKB

I’m going to drive Private Hire Part Time

I’ve retired and gonna work 3 days a week, probably Uber

insurance is mental

Will 3 days a week, 10 hours a day make you enough money to pay your expenses and make it worthwhile to make a wage?

There seems to be around 3500 private hire cars in Edinburgh plus black cabs so competition is fierce and there will be a lot of idle time during your shift not making income

Also the punters come in all levels is it a nice easy quiet retirement job ?

The roads in Edinburgh are a disgrace and it's just a council created game to navigate it's hilarious how stupid it's become

Have you spoken to other private hire driver's to get an incite of what the job entails, costs and rewards

Fuel, insurance, vehicle upkeep, repairs, tyres, punter hassle , Edinburgh road stress, radge delivery cyclists,  lawless escooters, working hours,cleaning, licensing etc versus any enjoyment and income 

Good luck 

5 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Will 3 days a week, 10 hours a day make you enough money to pay your expenses and make it worthwhile to make a wage?

There seems to be around 3500 private hire cars in Edinburgh plus black cabs so competition is fierce and there will be a lot of idle time during your shift not making income

Also the punters come in all levels is it a nice easy quiet retirement job ?

The roads in Edinburgh are a disgrace and it's just a council created game to navigate it's hilarious how stupid it's become

Have you spoken to other private hire driver's to get an incite of what the job entails, costs and rewards

Fuel, insurance, vehicle upkeep, repairs, tyres, punter hassle , Edinburgh road stress, radge delivery cyclists,  lawless escooters, working hours,cleaning, licensing etc versus any enjoyment and income 

Good luck 

Jesus :lol:

With that mindset you'd be aswell on the brew.

Every job has good and bad.

Edited by 151
Which I've just seen should actually be written "Buroo".

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, 151 said:

Jesus :lol:

With that mindset you'd be aswell on the brew.

Every job has good and bad.

Just stating the obvious mate Some jobs have more bad than good, whatever floats your boat I suppose Some jobs pay much much more than others and some jobs just aren't worth the time and only the lazy make a living out of being on the brew 

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

been here before
14 minutes ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

Good luck 

What sort of cost are we talking about there?

Howdy Doody Jambo
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

Loads plus loads of Scottish government tax on top

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

On 06/12/2023 at 16:45, been here before said:

Watch out for the insurance, it's mental.

If driving cross-town do not rely on google maps - it takes you some right stupid routes across every cobbled street it can find.

Also if you don't already know, apparently insurance is mental...

Edited by Spellczech

9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Came in here looking for fake taxi jokes and you're all just banging on about insurance. You let me down kickback.

:greggy:

Screenshot_20231208_093608_Samsung Internet.jpg

I P Knightley
39 minutes ago, HMFC-1874 said:

:greggy:

Screenshot_20231208_093608_Samsung Internet.jpg

Providing the upside that counters HowdyDoody's extensive list of cons. 

I've seen loads of these documentaries where female passengers offer sexual favours to the taxi driver. Most of the time, though, he lets them off with their fare, so you'd have to balance those opportunities with some full on fare paying passengers. 

18 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Providing the upside that counters HowdyDoody's extensive list of cons. 

I've seen loads of these documentaries where female passengers offer sexual favours to the taxi driver. Most of the time, though, he lets them off with their fare, so you'd have to balance those opportunities with some full on fare paying passengers. 

:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

I have a mate who has done it since May. I think, financially I can make it work for me as I don’t need to make a lot of money.

My plan is, mainly to Uber a few days a week to supplement a decent pension.

The initial licences cost a fair bit but half that to renew

Insurance tho 😀😀😀😀

A mate kindly 'hailed' an Uber for us pre St Johnstone game, Porty to the Murrayfield Sports Bar, cost £10.50, and took near on 45 mins, as he followed Google Maps! Reckon had I been driving I could have done it in just under 30. Anyway, at that price and time I doubt he's make much at all, really!

On 06/12/2023 at 16:33, Jamhammer said:

Okay JKB

I’m going to drive Private Hire Part Time

I’ve retired and gonna work 3 days a week, probably Uber

insurance is mental

Good luck on your new job, one job ive never done, did try a shot at driving a wedding car, but

failed the interview, thought my test run was spot on, obviously my face did not fit😕.

been here before
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

A mate kindly 'hailed' an Uber for us pre St Johnstone game, Porty to the Murrayfield Sports Bar, cost £10.50, and took near on 45 mins, as he followed Google Maps! Reckon had I been driving I could have done it in just under 30. Anyway, at that price and time I doubt he's make much at all, really!

Most of what he makes probably goes on paying his insurance. Those prices can be mental.

47 minutes ago, been here before said:

Most of what he makes probably goes on paying his insurance. Those prices can be mental.

Seems to be the case, I believe.

One of my colleagues downloaded the uber eats delivery app (in Australia) and him and his flat mate spent 3 hours delivering food, made about $80 in that time, spent it on beer and McDonald's and then retired from uber life. 😀

It's easy to make a little money with those things if you want to.

Howdy Doody Jambo
16 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

That's a scandal £10:50 that would be double in a black cab ,the driver is probably on 50%+ expenses before profit then expected to pay HMRC their cut, the driver must make £5 an hour based on that, however I do believe Uber surge their prices sky high during rush hour's and busy periods as in dynamic pricing 

How can the council give licences to Uber that exploit workers , that's not even minimum wage stuff 

From my mate who Ubers he can make more than enough to subsidise pension

i think if you’re doing it full time AND hiring the car you’d struggle to make a living

ill give it a bash and if it ain’t for me just go back to prostitution 😀

I P Knightley
24 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

From my mate who Ubers he can make more than enough to subsidise pension

i think if you’re doing it full time AND hiring the car you’d struggle to make a living

ill give it a bash and if it ain’t for me just go back to prostitution 😀

Now we're talking.

A career which doesn't require any insurance costs.