Bad Days - top tips

Taffin

Moved house recently so extremely stressed out by finances, getting the house up to scratch (1930s with a garden. I've never had a garden before), getting to know the new city, wrapping up interest in previous property etc etc.

Woke up today, flat tyre. Putting the spare on, I smashed my mobile.

Searching for some solace here I guess. What lifts a weight for you all and cheers you up on bad days?

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Moved house recently so extremely stressed out by finances, getting the house up to scratch (1930s with a garden. I've never had a garden before), getting to know the new city, wrapping up interest in previous property etc etc.

Searching for some solace here I guess. What lifts a weight for you all and cheers you up on bad days?

Wank and a lemsip,

Cures all!

(Imagine knocking on the door rhythm)

18 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Wank and a lemsip,

Cures all!

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Break up the day.

A walk is a good option especially if can get into nature. 

13 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I usually just laugh and say **** it, it's not that bad really.

Cheers guys. I started at the laugh and move on stage and it's festered as the days gone on.

Think a walk will do my the world of good @Mikey1874, though I did initially read it as a follow on from Smithee's post through the cracks in my screen 😂😂 

Airplane is a great shout too, though it may result in my death if my girlfriend is in as she doesn't get it.

Edited by Taffin

Howdy Doody Jambo

That's not really a bad day is it? We're all stressed we're all skint

Phone up a friend for a chat, have a cup of tea and a chocolate cake 

Listen to the Hearts song by Hector Nicol , A new hoose with a garden a car and a new mobile phone

Sounds like a great day to me 

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

Go stand in the new garden, picture what you'd like to do with it, where you'd put decking, a patio, where would you put a BBQ, what kind of seating it'd have and then think of the laughs you will have during the summer with the BBQ going and a few mates round having beers. 

Might sound simple but takes your mind off money, the car, the broken mobile etc for 10 mins while you breathe in some fresh air

Just remind yourself those are material things . They can be fixed . Take a deep breath. Like the other poster said , laugh . It really is the best medicine. Life is absurd . Then you die . 

ps have a nice day dream about how your garden will look in the future . Take a pic of it , see how it changes and grows. 

honestly my motto is ! “ well it could be worse I could be dead “ 

I remember years ago when Boris Becker lost in the first round at Wimbledon ( think he was top seed ) at the press conference he was very wise and philosophical .

”  I didn’t lose a leg , I didnt lose an arm or an eye , I lost a match “ 

everything in perspective 

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Go stand in the new garden, picture what you'd like to do with it, where you'd put decking, a patio, where would you put a BBQ, what kind of seating it'd have and then think of the laughs you will have during the summer with the BBQ going and a few mates round having beers. 

Might sound simple but takes your mind off money, the car, the broken mobile etc for 10 mins while you breathe in some fresh air

👍

fabienleclerq

Exercise is a good one.

I make a list of shit that needs done, clears my head a bit. Tick them off one by one.

I try think about the positives of my situation and that others have it much worse.

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Not sure 'imagine what your garden could look like' is the best advice for someone who's skint and worried about money.

It costs nothing to have imagination or day dream . In fact it’s a motivator 

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Airplane is a great shout too, though it may result in my death if my girlfriend is in as she doesn't get it.

Buy her a blow up co-pilot to keep her occupied while you watch it?

Otto - The inflatable autopilot of "Airplane!"

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Kronenburg 1664 is worth a shout, a box of 24 bottles for £11.99 in Sainsburys. 

The missus in the house with her newly-acquired inflatable Airplane autopilot.  You out in your own back yard, redesigning the garden in your mind's eye, swigging a mug of Lemsip while listening to the Hearts Song at top volume and having a Sherman.  That's living the dream, man. :biggrin2:

2 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Wank and a lemsip,

Cures all!

In which order? Asking for a friend.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

The missus in the house with her newly-acquired inflatable Airplane autopilot.  You out in your own back yard, redesigning the garden in your mind's eye, swigging a mug of Lemsip while listening to the Hearts Song at top volume and having a Sherman.  That's living the dream, man. :biggrin2:

it is WAY too cold for garden shermans. 

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Ah, we've all been there, i'm having another one of those situations right now, kitchen window handle has broken off, boiler has stopped working after getting a new one a year ago, flat car battery, flat tyre that i have to pump up every morning, car is going for an MOT and service next week, so that will be another wad of cash. 

I suppose you should just be grateful that you've got a house with a garden. 

It does sound like you've bitten off more than you can chew though. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Watch some Billy Connolly.

Loads of good tips - went for a walk, had a chat to a couple of my friends on the phone and went in the garden and imagined how worth it it'll all be come spring. Feeling better, thank you.

Opted against the outdoors Sherman though 😂

If I feel shit I have certain pieces of music that always snap me out of it. Dry The Rain by The Beta Band always does the trick. When I couldn’t be arsed with going to work my bus stop at the time meant if I started the track as I stepped off the bus it got to the euphoric end section just as I reached the front of my work. Always worked. 

il Duce McTarkin
22 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If I feel shit I have certain pieces of music that always snap me out of it. Dry The Rain by The Beta Band always does the trick. When I couldn’t be arsed with going to work my bus stop at the time meant if I started the track as I stepped off the bus it got to the euphoric end section just as I reached the front of my work. Always worked. 

That's a great track.

My go-to mood elevator at the moment is the 2020 John Digweed remix of the 2003 FC Kahuna classic 'Hayling'.

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Go and find a dug.....give him a pat on the head and a wee ear rub.

There, better already.

No my dug FFS, you'll be doing the garden in springtime with one hand 😆

highlandjambo3
38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Loads of good tips - went for a walk, had a chat to a couple of my friends on the phone and went in the garden and imagined how worth it it'll all be come spring. Feeling better, thank you.

Opted against the outdoors Sherman though 😂

Will this even fit in your garden 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5916.jpeg

6 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Wank and a lemsip,

Cures all!

It's a bit cloudy this lemsip...

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Good to hear.  You rarely go wrong checking in with your mates.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Opted against the outdoors Sherman though 😂

tenor.gif?itemid=4435969

New Town Loafer

I always think 'this too shall pass'. My sister gave me that advice years ago when I was struggling with depression.

Also good advice when everything is going well as it keeps you grounded.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having a crap few days.  I decided, ****it, I'm going for a run.  I don't jog as much as I used to because I walk mostly, which is tiring enough.   I cycle as well.   Decided to jog for a change.   Got back,  done some reading, decided to watch something with humour.   I selected a Will Ferrel documentary off Sky Arts.   There's several other actors too.   Anyways, I got to abit where he was doing one of his Saturday Night Live characters.   I thought I could watch it normally with just a feignt laugh or chuckle.   See what you think of this.    It might cheer you up or make you forget what was bugging you at least. 

On 28/11/2023 at 18:05, periodictabledancer said:

A bottle of wine (ALL of it) and listen to this on repeat.

I'm in there, the lower section lower right.