Looking for advice about updating/re-writing your Will

Lone Striker

I  did a Will nearly 30 years ago through a well-known Edinburgh Law firm, but I now want to amend/update some stuff in it.    The law firm is named as joint Executor.

If I go to a DIFFERENT law form now, can they update the original Will (including removing the original law firm as joint Executor) ?  Or does it mean I'd be creating  a brand new Will  which automatically invalidates the original one ?

Or do I have to go back the original law firm to get the changes updated ?

The annual "free will-writing" thing which some charities promote has prompted me to think about stuff like this,  but tbh it all baffles me.

.Thanks in advance if anyone can advise.

I think it's pretty much a boilerplate paragraph containing text stating this latest will that revokes all previous wills and is witnessed, signed and dated as such

Found this one in a will where i'm the executor, taken out names obv!

9 I revoke all prior testamentary writings IN WITNESS WHEREOF
these presents consisting of this and the preceding page
are subscribed by me the said YOUR FULL NAME at
PLACE on the # day of # Two Thousand and Seventeen in
the presence of WITNESS NAME AND ADDRESS

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Found this one in a will where i'm the executor, taken out names obv!

9 I revoke all prior testamentary writings IN WITNESS WHEREOF
these presents consisting of this and the preceding page
are subscribed by me the said YOUR FULL NAME at
PLACE on the # day of # Two Thousand and Seventeen in
the presence of WITNESS NAME AND ADDRESS

A statement at the start of mine reads as follows:

"I HEREBY REVOKE all former Wills and codicils made by me and declare this to be my Last Will (“My Will”)."

I was quoted £150 by a solicitor. Can you really do a DIY will and have it all go to plan without fuss, or are solicitor rubber stamped ones the best option?

Percival King
20 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I  did a Will nearly 30 years ago through a well-known Edinburgh Law firm, but I now want to amend/update some stuff in it.    The law firm is named as joint Executor.

If I go to a DIFFERENT law form now, can they update the original Will (including removing the original law firm as joint Executor) ?  Or does it mean I'd be creating  a brand new Will  which automatically invalidates the original one ?

Or do I have to go back the original law firm to get the changes updated ?

The annual "free will-writing" thing which some charities promote has prompted me to think about stuff like this,  but tbh it all baffles me.

.Thanks in advance if anyone can advise.

Going off at a slight tangent but if you're looking at your will (and I'm assuming you're at least in your fifties), might be worthwhile considering creating and registering a Power of Attorney. Doesn't need to be activated now but it could save a shed load of hassle at some point in the future.

1 hour ago, kila said:

I was quoted £150 by a solicitor. Can you really do a DIY will and have it all go to plan without fuss, or are solicitor rubber stamped ones the best option?

If it's uncontroversial and you have a decent family, DIY is fine.

If you've a few bob and a couple of bad apples in the family, go with a solicitor.