Ukraine v Italy

neilnunb

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

And then there is all of this questioning why many of us hope they get absolutely horsed …………. :lol: 

haha maybe not next summer as Ive got the odd small wager going onto them and I cant let heart rule head in betting (hell though it could be unbearable) 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Luckies1874

• periodictabledancer

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Where's he playing? CB or LB?

Think left centre half of a 4 beside Souttar. 

Souttar just scored to give them the lead. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Just now, Luckies1874 said:

👍

Hope he has a good game although I can't imagine Palestine will be too testing.

9 minutes ago, Chimp said:

👍

Hope he has a good game although I can't imagine Palestine will be too testing.

Especially without Gaza 

5 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That penalty not given to Ukraine is total and utter corruption! We shouldn't be shocked though as it goes on every week in Scottish football. 

It's not corruption - but I do think the VAR has bottled it as those types of challenge are given as penalties (wrongly IMO) 8 or even 9 times out of 10.

2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Souttar just scored to give them the lead. 

Finished 1-0. Rowles played the 90 minutes.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Finished 1-0. Rowles played the 90 minutes.

Aye. He was solid, got a yellow in the 2nd half. They did just about enough to win and are going to cruise this group.

The Old Tolbooth
48 minutes ago, stirlo said:

It's not corruption - but I do think the VAR has bottled it as those types of challenge are given as penalties (wrongly IMO) 8 or even 9 times out of 10.

I'm not sure why you think it would be the wrong decision, the Italian defender was rash in his challenge and it was a clear foul to me, it's not the first time the Italians have benefitted like this either. 

8 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Aye. He was solid, got a yellow in the 2nd half. They did just about enough to win and are going to cruise this group.

Imagine they _didn't_ cruise this group ffs :gok:

Screenshot_20231121-144135.png

1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

Imagine they _didn't_ cruise this group ffs :gok:

Screenshot_20231121-144135.png

Aye, I know, it's very lopsided stuff in the Asian qualifying. The depth just isn't there given they now get 8 direct WC spots plus a play off spot.

54 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm not sure why you think it would be the wrong decision, the Italian defender was rash in his challenge and it was a clear foul to me, it's not the first time the Italians have benefitted like this either. 

There is minimal contact and the Ukranian player goes down far too easily. If I had my way penalties would only be given for very clear fouls i.e. where there is no way the player could have stayed on their feet and where the reason for the attacking player going down is entirely down to the defender rather than any movement by the attacking player towards the defender. As I said in my previous post though, in terms of how the game is refereed 8 or 9 times out of 10 a penalty would have been given for the challenge last night so Ukraine can definitely count themselves unfortunate.  

The Old Tolbooth
14 hours ago, stirlo said:

There is minimal contact and the Ukranian player goes down far too easily. If I had my way penalties would only be given for very clear fouls i.e. where there is no way the player could have stayed on their feet and where the reason for the attacking player going down is entirely down to the defender rather than any movement by the attacking player towards the defender. As I said in my previous post though, in terms of how the game is refereed 8 or 9 times out of 10 a penalty would have been given for the challenge last night so Ukraine can definitely count themselves unfortunate.  

To be honest mate, your way is open to mega abuse and referees using that to their favourite teams advantage, but I guess it gets abused just now anyway really. For me it was a penalty because there was contact, and outside the box it would have been a free kick, if that went against Hearts or Scotland I'd be raging. 

Germany lost again last night. 2-0 to Austria. What an absolutely horrendous run of form they’ve been on the last few years for a team of their stature. I know it’s been mostly friendlies but since they haven’t had to qualify youd think they’d be treated with more importance in terms of places being up for grabs. 
 If they didn’t qualify automatically as hosts I reckon they would have been in serious trouble. They certainly would not be in pot 1. Maybe being hosts will help turn the tide for them at the euros but on current showings they’re absolutely the team Scotland should be wanting from pot 1

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

To be honest mate, your way is open to mega abuse and referees using that to their favourite teams advantage, but I guess it gets abused just now anyway really. For me it was a penalty because there was contact, and outside the box it would have been a free kick, if that went against Hearts or Scotland I'd be raging. 

You are right that outside the box it would be given as a freekick - but once upon a time there were indirect free-kicks given inside the penalty area as well but you hardly ever see them given nowadays.

My big issue about penalties generally is that if I had my way penalties would only be awarded if it is proportionate to the disadvantage that has been suffered by the attacking team - whereas at the moment that is clearly not the case. If you look at the incident the other night, regardless of whether or not it's a foul, the Ukrainian player has actually over-hit the ball, so even if there is no contact it's not as if he's scoring in that situation. But normally that doesn't seem to enter the equation. 

I just don't believe that the current rules on penalties - including the handball rules - reflect the thinking of the vast majority of football fans and players - and it definitely incentivises attacking players to try to engineer penalties whether by diving or handballs.

3 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Germany lost again last night. 2-0 to Austria. What an absolutely horrendous run of form they’ve been on the last few years for a team of their stature. I know it’s been mostly friendlies but since they haven’t had to qualify youd think they’d be treated with more importance in terms of places being up for grabs. 
 If they didn’t qualify automatically as hosts I reckon they would have been in serious trouble. They certainly would not be in pot 1. Maybe being hosts will help turn the tide for them at the euros but on current showings they’re absolutely the team Scotland should be wanting from pot 1

In 2023 they have lost to Belgium, Colombia, Poland, Japan, Turkey and Austria with draws against Mexico and Ukraine! 

24 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

In 2023 they have lost to Belgium, Colombia, Poland, Japan, Turkey and Austria with draws against Mexico and Ukraine! 

Jeez, that’s absolutely horrendous form for a team that’s aim should be winning major tournaments

2 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Jeez, that’s absolutely horrendous form for a team that’s aim should be winning major tournaments

Yep and remember that was on the back of the WC last December where they never made it out the group having lost to Japan (again!) and needing a couple of goals, having been behind, in the last 5 minutes to beat Costa Rica!

12 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yep and remember that was on the back of the WC last December where they never made it out the group having lost to Japan (again!) and needing a couple of goals, having been behind, in the last 5 minutes to beat Costa Rica!

Also went out the groups in 2018 too, losing to South Korea if I recall. They were also poor at Euro 2020