£2,187,500 - how much is that per dram?

Ulysses

Honestly when folk have that much money what difference is it to them what they pay for these kinds of things.Probably now get locked up in a wee vault to only be shown to a select few guests every now and then shoved straight back in the vault.

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Honestly when folk have that much money what difference is it to them what they pay for these kinds of things.Probably now get locked up in a wee vault to only be shown to a select few guests every now and then shoved straight back in the vault.

Probably bring it out the wee vault and show it of round the xmas table with 100 guests.

Carl Fredrickson

I love a whisky or two but I dont understand how a bottle can be worth that much. 

I have been to a few whisky tastings and eveyone the "expert" has told it is all about your own personal taste. Went to one where we sampled a 100 year old whisky. We were all excited about it but it was rank. It was used to try and dispel our preconceived views that age is so important. 

Also the first one we started (unknown to us) with a stunning blend. Again to try and do away with our "single malt snobery". 

To me, whisky is to be drunk, savoured and enjoyed. Might be why I will always be a poor man. 

53 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I love a whisky or two but I dont understand how a bottle can be worth that much. 

I have been to a few whisky tastings and eveyone the "expert" has told it is all about your own personal taste. Went to one where we sampled a 100 year old whisky. We were all excited about it but it was rank. It was used to try and dispel our preconceived views that age is so important. 

Also the first one we started (unknown to us) with a stunning blend. Again to try and do away with our "single malt snobery". 

To me, whisky is to be drunk, savoured and enjoyed. Might be why I will always be a poor man. 

Aye £2.1m to deprive yourself of it 🤣

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

At some point, you'd expect that time will eventually get the better of any whisky. At what point does the value of the £2m bottle collapse both as an investment and as a tasting experience?

the original dalry llama

The bit that confuses me about this story is that Sotheby's head of whisky was allowed to sample a drop. How did that work? 

10 minutes ago, the original dalry llama said:

The bit that confuses me about this story is that Sotheby's head of whisky was allowed to sample a drop. How did that work? 

Probably a very fine needle through the cork to extract a tiny amount to make sure it is drinkable. The cork would seal after the needle is withdrawn. 

the original dalry llama
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Probably a very fine needle through the cork to extract a tiny amount to make sure it is drinkable. The cork would seal after the needle is withdrawn. 

Thanks - it was really bugging me how this was possible!

How does that work, has the whisky been in the cask for that amount of time and bottled recently, or was it bottled years ago? 

28 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How does that work, has the whisky been in the cask for that amount of time and bottled recently, or was it bottled years ago? 

I think it was casked in 1926 and bottled in 1986. 

7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Another name for brewer’s droop?

:thumbsup: When I saw the guy handling the bottle with the white gloves on, I instantly thought of the Drambuie advert from the eighties...smashing...I tried to link it from youtube, but failed miserably...:(

There's a cabal of about four or five buyers from the far east who are constantly trying to outdo each other, so it was likely one of them who bought it. 

It's also an open secret in the industry that some companies engage in shill bidding to bump up the perceived value of their brand. Not that I'm accusing Edrington of stooping to such underhand tactics, oh no...

3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

At some point, you'd expect that time will eventually get the better of any whisky. At what point does the value of the £2m bottle collapse both as an investment and as a tasting experience?

But at that level people aren't paying the money because of the taste of the whisky - but just the fact that the bottle is extremely rare. When it comes to high-end whisky collection in many cases it's like art - people aren't paying for the aesthetic value of it but the perceived value of the thing as an asset. 

50 minutes ago, stirlo said:

But at that level people aren't paying the money because of the taste of the whisky - but just the fact that the bottle is extremely rare. When it comes to high-end whisky collection in many cases it's like art - people aren't paying for the aesthetic value of it but the perceived value of the thing as an asset. 

Indeed.

Weird though.  "It might actually be shite, but at least there's not much of it." :laugh:

The real winners here are the auctioneers. We did a charity bottling a while back which sold for shitloads of cash. Everyone gave their time and effort for free, except for Sotheby's, who skimmed a nice 27% for themselves. 

Over £100k for doing next to feck all, in a charity auction, FFS.