Hearts' and Scotland goalkeeping future.

Cruickie's Moustache

Cruickie's Moustache

Last night we saw a bit of discussion regards Zander's performance.

The facts are, however, that Clarke appears to have marked him in the No 2 slot for the moment.

He made a few decent saves last night albeit you can see why people maybe question his speed at getting down for both goals.

(Again the first questions should be about the poor defending in front of him).

However what we have is an issue at both club and Scotland level.

Firstly I feel I've not seen enough of Gunn to be able to comment on how decent he is.

Maybe me, but can't recall him making any startling saves to date. Solid but nothing special??

Secondly, both Scotland and Hearts are hoping on a wing and a prayer that Gordon will return.

However at his age he may never be back to his best and could break down at any time.

So what does it leave us with?

Our top division fielded goalies as follows in the last round of games:-

Celtic - Hart - Eng

Rangers - Buckland - Eng

St Mirren -Hemming - Eng

Hearts - Clark - Scot (Current No 1)

Dundee - Carson - NI

Kilmarnock - Dennis - Eng

Hibs - Marshall - Scot (Retired)

Motherwell - Kelly - Scot (Current No 2)

Aberdeen - Roos - Hol

St Johnstone - Mitov - Bul

Ross County - Laidlaw - Scot

Livingston - George - Eng.

McCrorie (The current Rangers bench warmer) was the third choice keeper last night.

We only have three goalies in our top flight that are available for Scotland.

Two are already in the squad.

There doesn't seem to be any other options playing down south or elsewhere.

McCrorie is a prospect but clearly short of top flight game time.

I keep hearing about our own Harry Stone but again he is not making any startling progress.

Therefore as it stands Zander is the best option we have for the National Team in the short term until Gunn recovers.

For Hearts, there is the hope Gordon returns but how long will he last.

So, when Gordon goes we stick with Zander or we can go out and buy another keeper.

However unless Stone or another Scottish Youngster emerges, it is going to be a non-Scottish Goalie as a new signing.

That then leaves the National Team with a further goalkeeper issue if Gunn isn't able to play as all our major clubs will most likely not have any Scottish goalkeeping talent.

It looks like we are struggling to produce decent Scottish keepers, to follow Gordon, Marshall(when on form) and MacGregor.

Liked the look of Liam McFarlane at the youth cup final that was shown on Alba/online a few years ago. Is he number 1 for the B team? Hopefully still looking promising and one for the future.

4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I want Hearts to have the best goalkeeper we can afford, whether that affects the national team or not is irrelevant to me 

:spoton:

Gunn is a good keeper. He's more than good enough to be Scotland keeper and will do a solid job for this generation. At 27, if keeps going improving and keeps going until he's approaching 40, we're sorted for the next 10-12 years. During that time, someone who hasn't quite made it into a first team squad yet will come through and will be the next in line. Young Matthew Connolly (20) at Motherwell is supposed to be decent. Rangers have a good keeper in their U21/23/whatever it is. Celtic have a couple. Our two young keepers Stone and McFarlane are quite highly rated. Other clubs both up here and down south will have keepers just like them who have potential but just haven't broken into the first team squad yet. 

Scotland will be fine. There will be someone out there. 

As for Hearts, I'm not bothered where our keeper is from as long as he's good. 

1 hour ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

McCrorie (The current Rangers bench warmer) was the third choice keeper last night.

McCrorie is decent and should be on our radar for when his contract expires. 

He has 18months left and will not oust Buckland anytime soon. Arguably worth paying for if Craig is at the end of his career and we want a long term upgrade to Zander.

At Hearts he would have a better chance at pushing for the Scotland number one position. 

It depends. Clarks got a good 5-7 seasons in him and he can still improve. The first Georgia goal last night I think he should be anticipating it and moving his feet a bit quicker. That's just something he can improve on. He got beat similarly against Celtic at home at his near post last season from a similar move. Decision making e.g. Dundee freekick that leads to their goal. 

I think he'll get the chance at Hearts to be no 1 long term and probably more caps. He does alright Zander, he's been solid for us. 

But.... If we can do better and imo we probably can, then we should. 

Edited by Cruyff

Niemi’s gloves
24 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

McCrorie is decent and should be on our radar for when his contract expires. 

He has 18months left and will not oust Buckland anytime soon. Arguably worth paying for if Craig is at the end of his career and we want a long term upgrade to Zander.

At Hearts he would have a better chance at pushing for the Scotland number one position. 

Is there any evidence for the idea that McCrorie would be “a long term upgrade to Zander”. He might be, he might not be. If he clearly is, then Rangers will make him a re-signing offer that we would be unlikely to match. 

2 hours ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

The facts are, however, that Clarke appears to have marked him in the No 2 slot for the moment.

He made a few decent saves last night albeit you can see why people maybe question his speed at getting down for both goals.

Firstly I feel I've not seen enough of Gunn to be able to comment on how decent he is.

Maybe me, but can't recall him making any startling saves to date. Solid but nothing special??

Secondly, both Scotland and Hearts are hoping on a wing and a prayer that Gordon will return.

However at his age he may never be back to his best and could break down at any time.

Celtic - Hart - Eng

Rangers - Buckland - Eng

St Mirren -Hemming - Eng

Dundee - Carson - NI

Aberdeen - Roos - Hol

I keep hearing about our own Harry Stone but again he is not making any startling progress.

Therefore as it stands Zander is the best option we have for the National Team in the short term until Gunn recovers.

So, when Gordon goes we stick with Zander or we can go out and buy another keeper.

However unless Stone or another Scottish Youngster emerges, it is going to be a non-Scottish Goalie as a new signing.

That then leaves the National Team with a further goalkeeper issue if Gunn isn't able to play as all our major clubs will most likely not have any Scottish goalkeeping talent.

It looks like we are struggling to produce decent Scottish keepers, to follow Gordon, Marshall(when on form) and MacGregor.

At the moment imo Gunn is the best keeper,hoping CG can get back playing,be great if he could get back into the Scotland squad,hopefully Hearts no1 again.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I want Hearts to have the best goalkeeper we can afford, whether that affects the national team or not is irrelevant to me 

This

McCrorie needs to get out of Ibrox. You don't get to be Rangers No1 unless they sign you from elsewhere...

Cannot believe there are people doubting Gordon by the way...

Edited by Spellczech

3 hours ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Celtic - Hart - Eng

Rangers - Buckland - Eng

St Mirren -Hemming - Eng

Dundee - Carson - NI

Aberdeen - Roos - Hol

I'm fairly sure with decent management, training and guidance Zander could man up and command his 6yd box and come for the occasional cross! Maybe not in the current season given the 'progress' we see week after week! Makes you wonder....what do they do all week in training?

In terms of the national side Cieran Slicker, who will be in nets for the u21s this evening, looks a good prospect. He's had a couple of games for Ipswich in the Carabao Cup and played fairly well. 

3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Gunn is a good keeper. He's more than good enough to be Scotland keeper and will do a solid job for this generation. At 27, if keeps going improving and keeps going until he's approaching 40, we're sorted for the next 10-12 years. During that time, someone who hasn't quite made it into a first team squad yet will come through and will be the next in line. Young Matthew Connolly (20) at Motherwell is supposed to be decent. Rangers have a good keeper in their U21/23/whatever it is. Celtic have a couple. Our two young keepers Stone and McFarlane are quite highly rated. Other clubs both up here and down south will have keepers just like them who have potential but just haven't broken into the first team squad yet. 

Scotland will be fine. There will be someone out there. 

As for Hearts, I'm not bothered where our keeper is from as long as he's good. 

I remember the same thing was said about jack Hamilton prior to him being our number 1. I'm not saying the same will go for stone and macfarlane, I've just stopped believing hype like this for a young keeper. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

2 hours ago, ford donald said:

At the moment imo Gunn is the best keeper,hoping CG can get back playing,be great if he could get back into the Scotland squad,hopefully Hearts no1 again.

I think Gunn has surprised many. I can't remember any fumbles, mistakes or anything that's been heavily criticised. His distribution is good, comfortable with the ball at his feet. Would love Craig to get back in the squad, but would be quite happy having him as Gunn's deputy. Hearts number 1 is the priority and just being involved at the Euros would be massive for him after what he's been through. 

The problem with Gunn, is that he hasn't had that much to do, so we don't really know how good he is. We know he can do the basics, but that's it. Until I see some match winning saves, I will be unconvinced.

If CG comes back to Hearts, gets in the team and starts producing worldies again, I will be screaming for the handsome devil to get his place back as Scotland's no.1 - no matter if Gunn "hasn't let us down yet" or any other such twaddle.

Pasquale for King

As others have said Scotland is not my priority either, we will need to see how CG returns but plans need to be made for his inevitable retirement.
Clark will need to show a hell of a lot of improvement in all aspects of his game to be our number 1, and I cant see him doing that with his current coaching and training with CG, he hasn’t learnt anything in the last year so I don’t see him doing it going forward. 

i wish jj was my dad

If Craig comes back to anything like his previous form both club and country will be incredibly lucky.  If not Hearts are lucky to have Clark as back up.  He is fine at least as good as most other clubs in the league and hasn't looked out of place at international level either.  I haven't actually seen McRorie and think he needs to move if he wants a career.  

alicante jambo

Gordon is in his 40s. Zander is in his late thirties. Stone has hardly played a 1st team game. The other keeper we brought in feck knows what hes like but we should be looking to bring in someone soon. One injury to gordon and how long is he going to keep playing? 

Niemi’s gloves

Zander is 31 not “late thirties”, a good age for a keeper. It’s Michael McGovern who is in his late thirties (39 to be precise)

1 hour ago, alicante jambo said:

Gordon is in his 40s. Zander is in his late thirties. Stone has hardly played a 1st team game. The other keeper we brought in feck knows what hes like but we should be looking to bring in someone soon. One injury to gordon and how long is he going to keep playing? 

alicante jambo
35 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Zander is 31 not “late thirties”, a good age for a keeper. It’s Michael McGovern who is in his late thirties (39 to be precise)

Appologies for that thought zander was older tbh.

Thought the current St Johnston keeper looked good.

Made some amazing saves in the firsfew games of the season.

Can't say I've followed his progress though

There was a lot of hype about Harry Stone a year or so back. 

I’ve never seen him play. Was the hype warranted? Appreciate he’s very young. 

On 17/11/2023 at 18:05, Spellczech said:

McCrorie needs to get out of Ibrox. You don't get to be Rangers No1 unless they sign you from elsewhere...

Cannot believe there are people doubting Gordon by the way...

Completely agree - I've no idea why these players hide at big clubs till their essentially unsignable. Nobody wants a 27 year old keeper with a season and a bit of actual experience. 

*I mean the reason is money, but their agents should be trying to take a more long term view on their career and encouraging that step down to allow for a leap forward. 

Case in point is his brother. He could have stayed at Rangers getting <5 appearances a season, but instead jumped to Aberdeen which allowed him to ultimately get a 7 figure move down south. 

I think if CG gets back anywhere near his best, then Clark will be our number 2 and will be replaced in the International squad too. Gunn will keep his place for Scotland in my view, with CG his back up. 

6 hours ago, alicante jambo said:

Appologies for that thought zander was older tbh.

At 31 he should be in his prime. Goalkeeper’s peak in their 30s. 

Even if CG comes back to full fitness with his full ability, he's in his 40s now and probably only has a few years left.

Preparations for a long term replacement need to be made now.

5 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Thought the current St Johnston keeper looked good.

Made some amazing saves in the firsfew games of the season.

Can't say I've followed his progress though

He's Bulgarian.

Zander has lost form and is way short on confidence. However, he’s our goalkeeper for a very tough December schedule. I really hope the Daddy Cool song re-emerges from the Ultras on Saturday during the warm up or prior to ko.

Maybe if he sees/hears we’re right behind him it’ll give him a lift. 

Apologies if already asked and answered but when is Gordon back? I heard he was in full training weeks ago so has to be soon?

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Apologies if already asked and answered but when is Gordon back? I heard he was in full training weeks ago so has to be soon?

SN most recent update suggests Jan, so im going for Feb if all goes well.

25 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I think Liam Kelly is a better keeper than Clark and I'd prefer to have him at Hearts too.

Liam Kelly is not good at all.

Edited by karipidis

Just now, karipidis said:

Liam Kelly is horrendous. 

He really isn't horrendous. Not brilliant by any means but still think he's better than Clark.

I really think it is time to try out the Northern Irish guy. More chance of getting a clean sheet in a teenage boy's bedroom than with Zander.

6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I really think it is time to try out the Northern Irish guy. More chance of getting a clean sheet in a teenage boy's bedroom than with Zander.

:lol:

7 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

SN most recent update suggests Jan, so im going for Feb if all goes well.

Has there been any talk about how he played? Has there been any negative reaction to the injury, whether physically or mentally? 

Just curious to hear if anybody has heard any feedback from his recent appearances and if he looked like he'd never been away? 

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2023 at 17:39, PaddysBar said:

There was a lot of hype about Harry Stone a year or so back. 

I’ve never seen him play. Was the hype warranted? Appreciate he’s very young. 

I watched Harry stone play for qots against Falkirk today. Had a couple of dodgy moments, tho no blame for the goal. Didn't come away thinking he's a cert for our first team

As an aside, Calum Morrison played well for Falkirk, good to see he's found a decent club

davemclaren
On 20/11/2023 at 10:57, i8hibsh said:

Still thinking that? 

IMG_4420.png

Bazzas right boot
On 20/11/2023 at 10:57, i8hibsh said:

Aged well that.

soonbe110
3 hours ago, jamboj said:

I watched Harry stone play for qots against Falkirk today. Had a couple of dodgy moments, tho no blame for the goal. Didn't come away thinking he's a cert for our first team

As an aside, Calum Morrison played well for Falkirk, good to see he's found a decent club

I was at the game as well. Thought he had one dodgy moment in first half, no blame at their goal, and two or three decent saves, one in particular when the Falkirk player was offside but made the save anyway. His physique is great for a keeper, very similar to CG, and I thought his distribution was a big step up from ZC and CG.  I came away thinking he still has a decent shot at being CG’s replacement as our keeper in a couple of years time if he continues to progress and gets more experience. 

Calumn was just the Calumn I remember from his time with us.  Excellent footballer, offside too many times, gets into great positions, finishing could be better. Tbf if his finishing had  been better with us he would never have been released. Was really close to making it with us and inability to put chances away did for him. Could never understand it because he scored for fun for Stirling when on loan and has scored a bundle with Falkirk yet talking to Falkirk fans today he should score a lot more. 

Edited by soonbe110