Jump to content

Warning over dangers of "unofficial" streaming - true or fake news?


Ulysses

Recommended Posts

Article below about a campaign to warn people about the dangers of streaming from unauthorised sources.  The logic behind it is that giving personal information or banking/card details to "illegal" streaming services is a risk to the user because of the people behind the streaming sites.

 

The campaign - perhaps not surprisingly - is run by people who own the "official" streams, including the likes of the EPL and Sky.

 

RTÉ News: Warning over dangers of illegal streaming

 

So, do you accept their logic?  Or is it just scaremongering by the big media boys trying to protect their patch?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS
28 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Article below about a campaign to warn people about the dangers of streaming from unauthorised sources.  The logic behind it is that giving personal information or banking/card details to "illegal" streaming services is a risk to the user because of the people behind the streaming sites.

 

The campaign - perhaps not surprisingly - is run by people who own the "official" streams, including the likes of the EPL and Sky.

 

RTÉ News: Warning over dangers of illegal streaming

 

So, do you accept their logic?  Or is it just scaremongering by the big media boys trying to protect their patch?

 

 

I would download a car

Link to comment
Share on other sites

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Article below about a campaign to warn people about the dangers of streaming from unauthorised sources.  The logic behind it is that giving personal information or banking/card details to "illegal" streaming services is a risk to the user because of the people behind the streaming sites.

 

The campaign - perhaps not surprisingly - is run by people who own the "official" streams, including the likes of the EPL and Sky.

 

RTÉ News: Warning over dangers of illegal streaming

 

So, do you accept their logic?  Or is it just scaremongering by the big media boys trying to protect their patch?

 

There was a big case in England just a few months ago - three guys got some big jail time.

It was an organised "monthly subscription" set up that offered a decent service, they had 1000s of customers and had made millions but it turns out they were into some serious crime/drugs too. I don't recall anything about subscribers being scammed but it was pretty hairy seeing what these guys were up to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My crimelord charges me £60 per year.

I will continue to take my chances.

 

I only use it on whole for Hearts and Scotland. 

 

Just wish SPFL/SFA would make a streaming service available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latest scaremongering tactic that will no doubt catch a few out. Giving your credit card details to anyone/website is open to risk. These service providers wouldn’t last long or grow if they were just ripping people off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shooter McGavin

I think the cat is somewhat out the bag with the amount of people using these streaming platforms like IPTV, over official channels.

 

Police, in some places, won’t even attend reports of theft, so I highly doubt they’ve got the time or resources to go after everybody using them. But by the looks of it they will go after the folk running and making money from them.

 

Sky and TnT Sports must have lost huge amounts of customers to them.

 

Edited by Shooter McGavin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Article below about a campaign to warn people about the dangers of streaming from unauthorised sources.  The logic behind it is that giving personal information or banking/card details to "illegal" streaming services is a risk to the user because of the people behind the streaming sites.

 

The campaign - perhaps not surprisingly - is run by people who own the "official" streams, including the likes of the EPL and Sky.

 

RTÉ News: Warning over dangers of illegal streaming

 

So, do you accept their logic?  Or is it just scaremongering by the big media boys trying to protect their patch?

 

 

I think there are some unscrupulous streaming sites out there that probably are looking to do this. 

 

Fortunately for me I use ones that don't want any personal details. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

My crimelord charges me £60 per year.

I will continue to take my chances.

 

I only use it on whole for Hearts and Scotland. 

 

Just wish SPFL/SFA would make a streaming service available.

Same here plus it's a push payment via PayPal and streamed via a Firestick so they cannot access much even if they wanted to.

 

If I could subscribe to Hearts away games directly, I wouldn't have bothered.

 

Worst case, they get busted and the service drops but it's not happened yet and I'm 2 years in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

All sport should be free to air. 

But how would the likes of sky make mega millions and buy the rights to help the top clubs go into mega millions of debt.

And think of the poncey players, where will their millions come from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

But how would the likes of sky make mega millions and buy the rights to help the top clubs go into mega millions of debt.

And think of the poncey players, where will their millions come from?

True. Jack Grealish must be kept in hair bands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Салатные палочки

They're fighting a losing battle. If they take down one provider, another pops up in their place and so on and so on. It's not going to deter people from buying it. Even my mum and dad have IPTV now after ditching Virgin because of their prices. 

 

It's up to Sky, Virgin, TNT/BT etc to change their approach. They could start by making their product more affordable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m £100 a year cash in hand so nae details passed over, saved me a fortune on boxing PPV’s other than that I use it for hearts and Scotland games with fawanews as back up. 
 

as mentioned one provider goes down another pops up. He’s goal was offline for a year maybe longer then fawanews took its place.

 

 I remember My dad used to burn movies and games on cd’s until he got a letter through from the government threatening his arrest and that was the end of that scared the life out him 😂 this must’ve been mid 2000’s but a good 10 year he got away with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You've got to wonder about the future of broadcasting football on TV, given the technology keeps improving and more and more people are using IPTV etc to watch games.

 

Surely Sky, TNT et al. are fecked in the medium to long term, and won't be able to offer the eye-watering TV deals to the EPL etc which they have previously?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

 

Sky and TnT Sports must have lost huge amounts of customers to them.

 

 

It's debatable how much they lose. These companies probably count each person watching the stream. In reality, most people won't bother if they've given the choice between not watching and paying for a Sky subscription.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole thing could be avoided if SKY just stopped:

 

A. Ripping the arse out of their customers and offer a whole package with a monthly charge that's a bit more realistic and affordable.

 

That's it!

 

I pay £77 a year to my organised crime syndicate for the whole shebang! Movies, Live games, PPV the lot!

 

If SKY offered the full shebang for say £20 a month then I would probably consider that. £100 plus/month??? GTF SKY!

 

They would likely corner the whole market in the UK and Ireland if they did. No need to pay Chelsea etc £100M + a year either!

Edited by Pans Jambo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunder and Lightning

I have handed over my dosh for a number of years and will continue to do so.

 

IPTV rocks, Sky lost my custom because they charge silly amounts and their customer service sucks.

 

Any issue i have had with my IPTV is sorted out in minutes and i can count on one hand how many issues that has been over 7 years.

 

Sky can GTF and now that different sports or flavours of sport are on different PPV and subscriptions i dont have to worry about missing whatever as my IPTV has it all for a one off fee per year which costs less than a month of all the above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Scaremongering, so.  Given that the campaign is promoted by content owners, that makes sense.

 

Remember the old FACT organisation? Federation of copyright theft IIRC?

 

We also used to get the 

"Home Taping is Killing Music" adverts pre-internet by similar groups.

 

Then later we had Napster and Metallica....

 

Scaremongering covers it.

 

Solution would be to reduce prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

 

Remember the old FACT organisation? Federation of copyright theft IIRC?

 

We also used to get the 

"Home Taping is Killing Music" adverts pre-internet by similar groups.

 

Then later we had Napster and Metallica....

 

Scaremongering covers it.

 

Solution would be to reduce prices.

Napster !!  That’s going back a bit lol 😂 was great though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The whole thing could be avoided if SKY just stopped:

 

A. Ripping the arse out of their customers and offer a whole package with a monthly charge that's a bit more realistic and affordable.

 

That's it!

 

I pay £77 a year to my organised crime syndicate for the whole shebang! Movies, Live games, PPV the lot!

 

If SKY offered the full shebang for say £20 a month then I would probably consider that. £100 plus/month??? GTF SKY!

 

They would likely corner the whole market in the UK and Ireland if they did. No need to pay Chelsea etc £100M + a year either!

I can’t believe people pay that amount for sky 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The TV companies really need to look at their pricing structures. 

At least the music industry adapted with legal streaming services like Spotify, apple music etc. I can't recall the last time I even contemplated downloading music. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Article below about a campaign to warn people about the dangers of streaming from unauthorised sources.  The logic behind it is that giving personal information or banking/card details to "illegal" streaming services is a risk to the user because of the people behind the streaming sites.

 

The campaign - perhaps not surprisingly - is run by people who own the "official" streams, including the likes of the EPL and Sky.

 

RTÉ News: Warning over dangers of illegal streaming

 

So, do you accept their logic?  Or is it just scaremongering by the big media boys trying to protect their patch?

 

Data collection is the new gold.

So while they play this charade of figures/money /cost.

That's of little value.

 

If you are to reward yourself by giving up your personal data as a reward.

Think mainstream .

It actually leads into quite a deep discussion about media ,profit and control no?

You probably won't think so being the oirish small c c9nservarive you are .

Can't even admit 9/11 is .......

 

 

😄

Aw dear am getting worse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paid using a virtual card. I’m not paying money to the EPL to watch hearts and the Glasgow National team.  
 

Stream what I want all year for £40 and chuck an extra £5 on my FOH payment each month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AlphonseCapone
Just now, gjcc said:

Also, how many have had their details sold or stolen in a data breach by the likes of Sky?

 

Exactly. All these big companies seem to be hacked at some point so what does it matter.

 

These threats are just the modern equivalent of the you're funding terrorism warnings before movies stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

Exactly. All these big companies seem to be hacked at some point so what does it matter.

 

These threats are just the modern equivalent of the you're funding terrorism warnings before movies stuff.


   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who are the crooks? How many people spent years paying Sky for English football when what they wanted was Scottish football? Perhaps Sky should've offered the Scottish football as a separate package? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

J.T.F.Robertson
10 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I pay for IPTV as it gives me a way of funding terrorism indirectly. 

 

Me too, **** 'em.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The day I had to take over the bills in the house I realised my Virgin bill hit £165 a month (I used to chuck the missus £40 to cover movies/sports as she never had them when I moved in) is when I called up and cancelled.

 

Now every weekend I will donder to a mates or the pub and watch their sky sports on pub tv or mates dodgy stick…Sky/Virgin will only claw back customers if the drastically lower prices as I’d happily go back if reasonably priced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

been here before

Folk being all smug about their IPTV and dodgy sticks.

 

Just wait until the Chinese govt and the NWO use the sticks to send a signal that activates the microchip in their Covid jags...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Folk being all smug about their IPTV and dodgy sticks.

 

Just wait until the Chinese govt and the NWO use the sticks to send a signal that activates the microchip in their Covid jags...


Hopefully it makes the wife 煮得更好。习主席万岁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ked said:

Data collection is the new gold.

So while they play this charade of figures/money /cost.

That's of little value.

 

If you are to reward yourself by giving up your personal data as a reward.

Think mainstream .

It actually leads into quite a deep discussion about media ,profit and control no?

You probably won't think so being the oirish small c c9nservarive you are .

Can't even admit 9/11 is .......

 

 

😄

Aw dear am getting worse

Wtf was I on about?

😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/11/2023 at 09:07, Jim_Duncan said:

All sport should be free to air. 


And who pays the wages of the camera men, sound engineers, producers, runners, broadcast techs etc??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paypal is extremely secure, no bank details are passed on so its a pretty stupid argument (most will use this). It is so prevalent in our country due to the fact that there is no plausible way to watch Scottish teams away from home without going to the game. Maybe that is a different argument for some, but most people can't afford to go every week.

 

The fact scotland games/cup games are on viaplay who most won't want to add to a package is another reason, in my opinion.

 

Until this changes then the likes of viaplay and new broadcasters have no chance to benefit in Scotland. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Ribble said:


And who pays the wages of the camera men, sound engineers, producers, runners, broadcast techs etc??

 

Advertisers and sponsors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ribble said:


And who pays the wages of the camera men, sound engineers, producers, runners, broadcast techs etc??

Just send one guy with a Sony Handicam and a wish.com microphone. Would already be on a par with Sportscene. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
16 hours ago, Tour22 said:

 

Advertisers and sponsors. 

Correct. I don't understand why Sky charge exorbitant amounts of money for people to watch adverts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/11/2023 at 11:34, KG1874 said:

I’m £100 a year cash in hand so nae details passed over, saved me a fortune on boxing PPV’s other than that I use it for hearts and Scotland games with fawanews as back up. 
 

as mentioned one provider goes down another pops up. He’s goal was offline for a year maybe longer then fawanews took its place.

 

 I remember My dad used to burn movies and games on cd’s until he got a letter through from the government threatening his arrest and that was the end of that scared the life out him 😂 this must’ve been mid 2000’s but a good 10 year he got away with it. 

 

A letter from thr government for burning CDs 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...