Using my phone abroad

Better call Saul

Better call Saul

I am now with o2 on a sim only deal 

I've been informed that I cant use my sim abroad or o2 will  rape me with charges and I can't upgrade 

Any suggestions?

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Better call Saul said:

I am now with o2 on a sim only deal 

I've been informed that I cant use my sim abroad or o2 will  rape me with charges and I can't upgrade 

Any suggestions?

I've got a contract with O2 and can use my phone as normal in Europe 

Better call Saul
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I've got a contract with O2 and can use my phone as normal in Europe 

I may have a shitty deal as it was part of a virgin media package 

Just now, Better call Saul said:

I may have a shitty deal as it was part of a virgin media package 

I’ve got O2 as part of a Virgin deal and the European roaming is included might be worth reading the small print. 

Better call Saul
Just now, Tazio said:

I’ve got O2 as part of a Virgin deal and the European roaming is included might be worth reading the small print. 

I phoned them and they clarified I couldn't use to avoid additional charges 

I may call them again and quote "the guys on kickback say otherwise "

If all else fails, buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card in whichever country you're going to and use that. It'd mean letting know anyone who's likely to try and contact you your new, temporary, number but it'd certainly save you a lot of money.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Auld Reekin' said:

If all else fails, buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card in whichever country you're going to and use that. It'd mean letting know anyone who's likely to try and contact you your new, temporary, number but it'd certainly save you a lot of money.

When my brother in law came over from Oz he did that.

Worked fine.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Better call Saul said:

I was in Greece 6 weeks ago and I've just looked back at the text they sent me when I arrived.

They have a Europe zone that comes out of your normal UK allowance

www.o2.co.uk/paym/roam-in-eu

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

👍🏻, Not long back from Portugal, O2 sim only with Virgin volt attached, roaming included, no hassle!

With Vodafone and was able to pay for a package that allowed me to use whilst away. Think it was a tenner. I think if you have been with a provider for a long time you get free roaming. It was with EE, newer contracts don't. Be surprised if O2 don't have a roaming holiday package. 

I had an o2 Sim via Virgin and was able to use it in Europe fine. In Turkey I had to pay £7 a day. Even if for some reason your sim isn't currently useable abroad you'll 100% be able to activate it to do so. O2 persons talking pish.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, Better call Saul said:

EU roaming up to 25GB, at no extra costWe cover roaming in our Europe Zone as part of our tariffs. So your data (subject to roaming limit), minutes and text allowances will work in our Europe Zone, just like they do at home.

From O2. 

I just can’t back from Tirana yesterday after 4 nights, and I was sure I could use my phone sim and pay the extra £2 a day normal charge. Little did I know it doesn’t and within 20 mins of being there I got a message from sky mobile saying I had used 80% of my £45 limit ! I then ended up paying £30 the second day, so I’m raging. I ended up just using the Wi-Fi anywhere I could, but got a £75 bill for using google maps for 20 mins or so. 

Learnt my lesson, so any further trips I will check for sure. Made my cheap trip to Tirana a wee bit dearer. Thank god the rest of the trip was nice and cheap!

Nucky Thompson
10 hours ago, daftie said:

I just can’t back from Tirana yesterday after 4 nights, and I was sure I could use my phone sim and pay the extra £2 a day normal charge. Little did I know it doesn’t and within 20 mins of being there I got a message from sky mobile saying I had used 80% of my £45 limit ! I then ended up paying £30 the second day, so I’m raging. I ended up just using the Wi-Fi anywhere I could, but got a £75 bill for using google maps for 20 mins or so. 

Learnt my lesson, so any further trips I will check for sure. Made my cheap trip to Tirana a wee bit dearer. Thank god the rest of the trip was nice and cheap!

Albania isn't in the Europe zone daftie :biggrin2:

If your phone was made in the last three years, then you can probably just get an eSIM for the country you're going to. Just scan a QR code and switch onto that SIM and you're laughing. 

15 hours ago, Better call Saul said:

You haven't mentioned where you are going. The wife's on a O2 sim only and she can use her phone as normal in the Europe Zone. This only covers 25GB of data, after which you will be raped. If your contract is less than the 25GB, you'll be raped once you've used up whatever you have.

Better call Saul
23 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

You haven't mentioned where you are going. The wife's on a O2 sim only and she can use her phone as normal in the Europe Zone. This only covers 25GB of data, after which you will be raped. If your contract is less than the 25GB, you'll be raped once you've used up whatever you have.

Tenerife m8

Better call Saul

Noted all of the above 

I will try phoning them again and explain what feedback I have read ! I 

could just use the wife's hot spot (ha on her phone ) 

6 minutes ago, Better call Saul said:

Tenerife m8

When you spoke to them did you mention Tenerife specifically?  If you did, perhaps the person you spoke to in the O2 call centre, which I assume is in India, didn't know it's part of Spain. When I phoned them to get the wife moved from a contract to sim only, I spoke to a clueless eejit at first. 

Better call Saul
32 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

When you spoke to them did you mention Tenerife specifically?  If you did, perhaps the person you spoke to in the O2 call centre, which I assume is in India, didn't know it's part of Spain. When I phoned them to get the wife moved from a contract to sim only, I spoke to a clueless eejit at first. 

Just called them and I must have spoken to an eeejit first time around as I've just been told exactly what some have posted above so all seems in order .

Ffs 

Thanks JKB 

Where you’re not able to use your data abroad, I highly recommend Airalo, very easy to set up via ESim and extremely competitive pricing.