CL champions who were not their National Champion

Spellczech

I asked Google this but couldn't get the answer...So, since I know there are many on here with good knowledge of stats, and better memories than me! 

Which teams won the CL when they were not champions of their own country? Liverpool & Chelsea I think? and...

Edited by Spellczech

Madrid in 2017-2018

Pretty sure when Atletico and Real played in the Champions League final a couple of years before Barcelona had won La Liga that year too

Edited by jambostuart

Nottingham Forrest if we're including the European Cup. They've won more European Cups than they have league titles. 

Edited by Norm

barcelona have never won the CL while they were the la liga champions, they have a few times won the CL and won la liga that sae season

bayern munich 2011-12, dortmund were the reigining bundesliga champions in 2010-11

man utds win in 99, arsenal were the EPL champions

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Nottingham Forrest if we're including the European Cup. They've won more European Cups than they have league titles. 

similarly inter milan in the 60s, won serie a, then won the european cup, didnt win serie a the next season but retained the european cup. the only difference is as you say NF are the only club that have won more european trophies than they have won their top national league

In Real Madrid's famed 5 in a row at the start of

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

similarly inter milan in the 60s, won serie a, then won the european cup, didnt win serie a the next season but retained the european cup. the only difference is as you say NF are the only club that have won more european trophies than they have won their top national league

Real Madrid as well.  They won 5 in a row from 1956 to 1960, and two of their wins came after seasons in which they hadn't won the Spanish league.  Barcelona won one and Bilbao the other.

Ajax is another.  Feyenoord won the Dutch league in 70-71.   Ajax won the European Cup, and won it again the following season.

I also think Bayern did something similar a couple of years later.

Edited by Ulysses

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

In Real Madrid's famed 5 in a row at the start of

Real Madrid as well.  They won 5 in a row from 1956 to 1960, and two of their wins came after seasons in which they hadn't won the Spanish league.  Barcelona won one and Bilbao the other.

Ajax is another.  Feyenoord won the Dutch league in 70-71.   Ajax won the European Cup, and won it again the following season.

I also think Bayern did something similar a couple of years later.

Ajax won in 71, 72, and 73.

Bayern Munich then won it in 74, 75, and 76. Liverpool in 77, and 78. These three clubs wins in the 70s were bookended by Feyenoord 1970 and Nottingham Forest in 79.

Edited by John Findlay

57 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Ajax won in 71, 72, and 73.

Bayern Munich then won it in 74, 75, and 76. Liverpool in 77, and 78. These three clubs wins in the 70s were bookended by Feyenoord 1970 and Nottingham Forest in 79.

They were some teams, John.

Especially Ajax.  The first time I'd ever seen football played like that.