Jimmy Johnstone

Wee Mikey

22 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Documentary on BBC Alba right now.

20231110_204209.jpg

Will Alba translate the "strong language" into Gaelic subtitles ? :whistling:

Stuttgart 2000

Had the pleasure of meeting him many moons ago, we had been re wiring a block of flats in the weeg,(total shithole as you can imagine) he was visiting a relative of his that lived there, my Hun workmate recognised him instantly, as he walked by us asked us what we where doing etc stood for about half an hour talking football, lovely guy  and a nicer man you couldn’t wish to meet. 
still hate that  club more than anything tho 😁

My Grandad was a Rangers fan. Never heard him say anything good about them in my puff. Except Jimmy Johnstone, would say without a hint of a grudge that he was an unbelievable football player. 

44 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

I think I'm right in saying JJ made his first team debut for Celtic at Tynecastle. Nobody could get the ball of him.

Off.  👍

5 minutes ago, Stuttgart 2000 said:

Just skip by my post, you would have a field day 🥴

I did.  👍

It’s the ‘where’ bit that tickled me. 

periodictabledancer

What a player. His greatest moment for me was when Scotland beat England

2-1 just before the 74 world cup. He'd been slagged off in the English media as washed up and a guy who ran around in circles. He got Shiltons jersey ,went to the centre circle and looked up to the press and gave it a massive GIRFUY.  Proper legend. 

jambo-in-furness
1 hour ago, Nerja Jambo said:

I think I'm right in saying JJ made his first team debut for Celtic at Tynecastle. Nobody could get the ball of him.

Think so, I was there, think we won 3-2 but memory plays tricks on auld guys like me.

Unbelievable how good he was. His control on tattie fields, getting halved every 30 seconds. He must have gone home black and blue. As good as anyone. Doesn't matter who he played for. That wasn't coached, that was natural ability like Messi, Zidane, Pele etc.. probably just hours of kicking a ball against a wall. Football pales in comparison to what is was. Wingers like Jimmy, Neil McCann, Giggsy need to come back. 

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Unbelievable how good he was. His control on tattie fields, getting halved every 30 seconds. He must have gone home black and blue. As good as anyone. Doesn't matter who he played for. That wasn't coached, that was natural ability like Messi, Zidane, Pele etc.. probably just hours of kicking a ball against a wall. Football pales in comparison to what is was. Wingers like Jimmy, Neil McCann, Giggsy need to come back. 

Modern football has no room for a mecurial, maverick type of player these days, more's the pity.

I think you need that individuality of thought, bravado etc in a player.

Seems more about system now.

Caveat - I get there have always been systems, but any wit, cheek whatever seems to be getting coached (?) Out of players.

Yet ironically look at how we have missed Barrie Mackay, but at least we're not moaning about him because he's doing what he's told and not being mecurial, as he can be!

37 minutes ago, Boris said:

Modern football has no room for a mecurial, maverick type of player these days, more's the pity.

Caveat - I get there have always been systems, but any wit, cheek whatever seems to be getting coached (?) Out of players.

Yet ironically look at how we have missed Barrie Mackay, but at least we're not moaning about him because he's doing what he's told and not being mecurial, as he can be!

Too true. 

Players just seem to be over coach to pass it.  It's all about stats and %'s. It's taken risk out the game completely. 

Barrie McKay at his best is great too watch, a massive loss to us. 

Johnson was a good player in a good team. Stein had them balanced and playing good football. I was only about 9 or 10 when I saw them at Tynie for the first time, and it felt like an event, rather than just another home fixture. Stein liked playing with wingers. I remember when he bought Andy Lynch from us and played him as a wing back. Whereas we'd never played him in that position, more of an up front winger. 

N Lincs Jambo

Bittersweet topic for me. Hate Celtic but loved Jimmy Johnstone. I did see him play but can’t really remember it. Watching his old performances he ripped class defenders a new one regularly. Sad to witness his battles with MND and alcoholism. Definitely a player who transcended the team he played for. Great player, great character, RIP Jinky

He was my coach at Celtic along with Bobby Lennox, I'm not sure how old he would have been then but was still superb on the ball, some of the stuff he could still do when we we're playing 5's during training was tremendous. Bobby Lennox wasn't bad either.

9 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

2-1 just before the 74 world cup. He'd been slagged off in the English media as washed up and a guy who ran around in circles. He got Shiltons jersey ,went to the centre circle and looked up to the press and gave it a massive GIRFUY.  Proper legend. 

Pedant alert. We won that game 2-0 with technically to OGs in the first-half.

been here before
9 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

About the only bit you've got right there is Shilton shirt.

Scotland won 2-0, he ran over to the touch line at full time and fired the V sign to the press box  due to their OTT reporting of the boat incident at Largs.

7 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Remember Peter Oliver taking the piss out of him 

Was that the 0-0 game where Cruickshank saved a penalty? One of Oliver's best games.

I first saw JJ a few weeks before they won the European Cup. He was mesmerising. Unforgettable.

1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Was that the 0-0 game where Cruickshank saved a penalty? One of Oliver's best games.

I first saw JJ a few weeks before they won the European Cup. He was mesmerising. Unforgettable.

Not sure if it was the same game

been here before
8 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

That was harsh. He had struggles with alcohol, not drugs.

The curse of a small keyboard on a mobile and fingers like cows tits.

11 hours ago, Nerja Jambo said:

I think I'm right in saying JJ made his first team debut for Celtic at Tynecastle. Nobody could get the ball of him.

He did.  A midweek game and he was up against Davie Holt, a superb left back, and Davie got nowhere near him.  I don't remember the score but everyone was raving about this 17 year old after the game.  I was still at school so it was a long time ago, mid 60s I think.

As I  recall Scotland had the proverbial plethora of (OF) wingers in those days...

Jinky J

Wee Wullie H

D Wilson

and who could forget JY Hughes !

Those were the days my friend 🙂

Francis Albert
8 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Remember Peter Oliver taking the piss out of him 

I was about to post the same. JJ was one of the best players I have seen and getting the ball off him was often impossible.

But I have an abiding memory of Peter Oliver taking on Johnstone in front of the shed. He not only took the ball clean as a whistle but then took it past Johnstone with ease to set up a Hearts attack.

PO was one of the best full backs I have seen in maroon. Sadly injuries restricted his career to too few games. 

Fantastic wee winger who was unplayable at times.

Sadly had a big drink problem and succumbed to MND in the end.

Rudiscoresagain
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I was about to post the same. JJ was one of the best players I have seen and getting the ball off him was often impossible.

But I have an abiding memory of Peter Oliver taking on Johnstone in front of the shed. He not only took the ball clean as a whistle but then took it past Johnstone with ease to set up a Hearts attack.

PO was one of the best full backs I have seen in maroon. Sadly injuries restricted his career to too few games. 

Aye, Peter Oliver was a great player. 

He was my grandads favourite player. Jinky made my grandad fall in love with football and in turn my grandad made me fall in love with football. 

I have nothing but respect for Jinky.

I spent many days of my childhood watching grainy VHS tapes of games that Jinky played in. Very found memories of those days. 

13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Off.  👍

You're going to have a busy time correcting all the errors on here, but if that's your thing.  Thanks anyway I'll check in future.

40 minutes ago, Rudiscoresagain said:

Aye, Peter Oliver was a great player. 

I'm pretty sure Peter Oliver was doing the johan cruyff before cruyff made it famous 

13 hours ago, Boris said:

Don't think it is just coaching. Can you imagine what the beaks and media would do nowadays about half the stories above?

30 minutes ago, Nik5122 said:

I'm pretty sure Peter Oliver was doing the johan cruyff before cruyff made it famous 

There's a joke in there about Cruyff having to wait for his turn. 🙃

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Pedant alert. We won that game 2-0 with technically to OGs in the first-half.

Yup. I was there , Pejic got one , can't remember the other. 

periodictabledancer
5 hours ago, been here before said:

About the only bit you've got right there is Shilton shirt.

Scotland won 2-0, he ran over to the touch line at full time and fired the V sign to the press box  due to their OTT reporting of the boat incident at Largs.

Deary me , I didn't think mistyping the score would trigger somebody like this.

Anyway, I'm happy with my version of events but thanks for your input. Hope you're feeling better soon.  

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Amen.

Great wee player.

Think I read him saying footballs were hard to get when he was young and he learned how to practice and wrap his foot around tennis balls lol.

2 hours ago, Nerja Jambo said:

You're going to have a busy time correcting all the errors on here, but if that's your thing.  Thanks anyway I'll check in future.

Just in fun, Nerja.  👍

2 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

There's a joke in there about Cruyff having to wait for his turn. 🙃

You're correct, that was his trade mark. Another myth is that Tommy Gemmel was the first goalscoring full back. George Thomson of Hearts was way before Gemmel. 

If you can. The get the film of the Celtic v Atletico Madrid 1st leg European Cup semi final 1st leg at Celtic Park. From 1974. Watch the punishment Jimmy Johnstone took that night.