Liam Scales confirms what we all know about Scottish ref’s

Disco Dave

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/liam-scales-reckons-celtic-need-28079291

You come and play in Europe and the referees, you get nothing out of them. They are a lot stricter and tackles that you might get away with domestically, they give. With VAR, you are going to pick up red cards in the way we've been doing.”

Try playing for a non old firm club in Scotland Liam.

Aye Liam, it’s not the Scottish referee’s that are bent, it’s the European referee’s. So glad you put us straight on that.:rofl:

12 minutes ago, Disco Dave said:

You come and play in Europe and the referees, you get nothing out of them. They are a lot stricter and tackles that you might get away with domestically, they give. With VAR, you are going to pick up red cards in the way we've been doing.”

He knows exactly what is what . Played for Aberdeen remember . He knows ………. would be funny if it triggered a UEFA investigation in to Scottish officiating 

said it before. those who run the game up here are patently not bothered in the slightest about the optics of the scottish game in europe or the globe.

by fostering a set up with as minimal domestic competition as possible and no known / transparent and regular review of refereeing it won't change how poorly prepared the bigot brothers are for europe.

In fact, it's taken the introduction of VAR in england to force the hand up here and it's showing how poor the officiating is up here (Kingsley immediate red card over turned for a penalty to us just one of many many terrible decisions).

You'd think even fans of either ugly sister would want some change to encourage more competition............but then again.....for them to enjoy year after year.....decade after decade of humping livi, st johnstone, ross county, the logic suggests there's no mental capacity in their fan base to even question the need for change. 

It wasn't his intention but it's rare for an OF player to let something like that slip.

The only other I can recall of the top...was Andy Walker. He spoke of immediately noticing the difference between being a Motherwell player and an OF one.

After he'd retired, mind you.

I hate Scottish football.

Edited by martoon

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He knows exactly what is what . Played for Aberdeen remember . He knows ………. would be funny if it triggered a UEFA investigation in to Scottish officiating 

Astonishing if it triggered an SFA investigation. 

The very thought. 😄 

4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

said it before. those who run the game up here are patently not bothered in the slightest about the optics of the scottish game in europe or the globe.

by fostering a set up with as minimal domestic competition as possible and no known / transparent and regular review of refereeing it won't change how poorly prepared the bigot brothers are for europe.

In fact, it's taken the introduction of VAR in england to force the hand up here and it's showing how poor the officiating is up here (Kingsley immediate red card over turned for a penalty to us just one of many many terrible decisions).

You'd think even fans of either ugly sister would want some change to encourage more competition............but then again.....for them to enjoy year after year.....decade after decade of humping livi, st johnstone, ross county, the logic suggests there's no mental capacity in their fan base to even question the need for change. 

I have said this before but I think it bears repeating . Thee nice neatly little carve up that they and their horrible counter piece have fostered and enjoyed for so long is about to fall apart around them . Previously they were happy taking turn about or sometimes both scooping around thirty million for getting in to the CL . That sort of money is no longer enough for them to compete with the big boys in Europe , and the TV deals and sponsorship deals that keep the rest of us impoverished will now hurt them . They will start agitating for change soon so they can get more money 

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

The very thought. 😄 

Absolutely no chance.. 😏

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

It wasn't his intention but it's rare for an OF player to let something like that slip.

The only other I can recall of the top...was Andy Walker. He spoke of immediately noticing the difference between being a Motherwell player and an OF one.

Calum McGregor said something similar to Scales a few weeks ago as well 

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

The very thought. 😄 

Investigate themselves for corruption . I think we all know how that would go 

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Didn't know that. 

A dressing down from the high heid yins of Scottish fitba may well be incoming.

They're letting the cat out of the bag.

That big, loud, lion that we all know is in there anyway. 🦁 

Edited by martoon

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I have said this before but I think it bears repeating . Thee nice neatly little carve up that they and their horrible counter piece have fostered and enjoyed for so long is about to fall apart around them . Previously they were happy taking turn about or sometimes both scooping around thirty million for getting in to the CL . That sort of money is no longer enough for them to compete with the big boys in Europe , and the TV deals and sponsorship deals that keep the rest of us impoverished will now hurt them . They will start agitating for change soon so they can get more money 

you'd hope so - but I do think 95% of their support are content with winning most domestic games 3,4 or 5-0 with the prime focus being which one of them wins the domestic title. Cup wins just a bonus.

As quickly as they're baffled by their euro losses, they seem to quickly forget as they look forward to next saturday's demolition of one of the league's also rans.

I get the impression the bigot brother teams having to play the rest of us in league games is like a 90 min training ground chore they have to put up with, but really don't want to be tested and have to put much effort in.

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Knew I'd seen this story before!

Corrupt and rotten to the core. I actually point the finger a little at the club. If I were in charge I would be asking serious questions and calling out the corruption. I would be rallying the other clubs for support for strength in numbers. I was told a stat the other day and I don't know if its true but the stat was that Celtic haven't had a red card in Scotland in over 120 games. If true its horrendous. I also spy that when you combine the Old firms penalties this season it almost totals the other 10 teams. We are the many......time for clubs to show their teeth.

34 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

you'd hope so - but I do think 95% of their support are content with winning most domestic games 3,4 or 5-0 with the prime focus being which one of them wins the domestic title. Cup wins just a bonus.

As quickly as they're baffled by their euro losses, they seem to quickly forget as they look forward to next saturday's demolition of one of the league's also rans.

I get the impression the bigot brother teams having to play the rest of us in league games is like a 90 min training ground chore they have to put up with, but really don't want to be tested and have to put much effort in.

About sums it up, Jim. 👏 

Tokyo Drifter
1 hour ago, Disco Dave said:

Has he forgotten we have VAR here too? I'm finding it funny how much they complain when they get treated fairly by referees for once.

Horatio Caine
32 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Corrupt and rotten to the core. I actually point the finger a little at the club. If I were in charge I would be asking serious questions and calling out the corruption. I would be rallying the other clubs for support for strength in numbers. I was told a stat the other day and I don't know if its true but the stat was that Celtic haven't had a red card in Scotland in over 120 games. If true its horrendous. I also spy that when you combine the Old firms penalties this season it almost totals the other 10 teams. We are the many......time for clubs to show their teeth.

Hart was red carded v Livi just a few weeks ago. 

It is a rare occurrence, I agree with you about that

Just now, Horatio Caine said:

Hart was red carded v Livi just a few weeks ago. 

It is a rare occurrence, I agree with you about that

LOL.....and just like that the stat comes crumbling down. Cheers for correcting mate.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Zico said:

Ignore the tinfoil Tim in the comments crying about the world’s most unsuccessful conspiracy, but listen to Dallas. The Old Firm are refereed differently.

https://x.com/craigwhytereal/status/1722567789204910234?s=46&t=_PwqFCqS9qL_p07dKVQ1xw

Collum booked 2 Hearts players in first 8 mins of Edinburgh derby, not a chance that would happen in Glasgow

Sunday was Scottish refereeing in a nutshell. Penalty Rangers then check VAR, Kingsley booked them check VAR. that’s it right there, it’s scandalous but we put up with it so only got ourselves to blame. 

How many times in an OF game do they get away with one so there’s no early bookings, shocking! If it’s a booking then doesn’t matter if it’s minute one or 90. Think how many of those bookings as potentially red cards not been given have saved them on suspensions that may have made a difference in other games.

The clubs all know it happens.  But, there is no appetite for change.  You can forget all the non of clubs getting together to sort this out.  90% of clubs M.O. is just to survive. They accept their place at the table is just to get the dripped feed from the o.f.  We can moan about it but it’s not going to change.

Scottish football fact.

None of the three Old Firm teams - Celtic, Rangers and The Rangers has ever won a Scottish domestic trophy without the benefit of a 'favourable' domestic referee.

They have benefited multiple times over the course of a domestic season and gained a huge advantage over other teams. Always a decision guaranteed when required. What a massive psychological advantage that is, in any game. And equally a huge hurdle for teams playing against them. Soul destroying cheating where both teams know the outcome before a ball is kicked. And the sycophants in the Scottish media just lap it up and big up these effectively meaningless victories.

Not a single honest trophy has any one of these three monstrosities ever won.

Edited by stuart500
spelling

Too many clubs are owned by Old Firm fans/sychophants - Alloa by a massive Celtic fan & Airdrie by a Rangers shareholder for example. The Airdrie man lost money when Minty Murray closed them down BUT was happy (as President of the then League) to stop any investigation into the "5-way Agreement" to let a certain team rejoin the League without three years' accounts. (Poor Formartine joined the Highland League but had to wait 3 years to play in the Scottish Cup as an aside.)

Every Committee has a Celtic/Rangers rep who leads the discussions. The other members go along with this because they get free tickets/travel/hotels to Scotland games/Finals plus free tickets to their personal preference Celtic/Rangers semis/finals... It's peeing against the wind to look for changes and the media are in full agreement with all this so no help there.

2 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

He has. Aberdeen last season.

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

They don't even appreciate the 3,4 or 5 goal wins. Have a look at the number of empty seats in the second half of these games. I actually know a few that travel to Parkhead for run of the mill games and don't even go in to the ground. Complacent doesn't even begin to cover it.

to try flip this.....I've had a think about "injustices" against celtic when we've played them the last 10 years.

1. Michael Smith's handball in the box at Tynie and no penalty given to celtic.

2. Naismith stamping on Scott Brown's nads.

3. er......

No.1 above - ref decided Smith was in a natural position. Still I think we'd be claiming a pen if it was the other way round

No.2 above - was Naismith off the pitch at the time? not sure if that counts mind.

be interesting if there's any more I can't remember

3 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

They don't even appreciate the 3,4 or 5 goal wins. Have a look at the number of empty seats in the second half of these games. I actually know a few that travel to Parkhead for run of the mill games and don't even go in to the ground. Complacent doesn't even begin to cover it.

Jeezo - didn't realise it was that bad!

Thunder and Lightning
3 hours ago, Sooks said:

They are pleased to announce they have been cleared on all charges.  As such they have awarded themselves a pay rise :) 

1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

They are pleased to announce they have been cleared on all charges.  As such they have awarded themselves a pay rise :) 

True words are often spoken in jest . About sums that festering rat hole up tbh 

Thunder and Lightning
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

True words are often spoken in jest . About sums that festering rat hole up tbh 

Yeah, you are not wrong, nothing would surprise me!

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Scott Brown also commented on it - he got loads of cards at Hibs

Also, in Europe, Celtic don't get away with wearing indecipherable shirt numbers, so it's much easier to identify players, including repeated offenders.

Celtic should be made to wear their 'Europe' strips in domestic games.

Shooter McGavin

It's okay, Celtic will pump Motherwell 7-0 and the Scottish media will tell us that they're best footballing team the world has ever known, ever.

Until they play Lazio a few days later and reality hits like a tone of bricks. Rinse and repeat.

30 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Scott Brown also commented on it - he got loads of cards at Hibs

Aye.

I might have to start paying a wee bit more attention to non-Hearts stuff.

Mind you, Brown wasn't telling us anything we didn't know.

Iirc, his planned retribution for the Cochrane 4-0 runaround game was rumoured beforehand, then carried out and gotten away with.

portobellojambo1
5 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

I may be wrong here but I'd suggest that since each succeeded in Europe (Celtic - European Cup, Rangers, European Cup Winners Cup, 1972) both have now given up on repeating such feats. They  are quite happy to battle it out between each other for the Scottish Championship and use the money they earn from how those two fronted the set up of th present league system and how the many Celtic/Rangers supporting officials of games/VAR to maintain a status quo that may never change. Rangers and Celtic don't want it to change, why would they want any other club involvrd, that would become a danger to the situation they as a "firm" are happy to allow to continue.

HeartsandonlyHearts
6 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

😂🤦🏻

What a dumb @$$.

Admitting to what us “conspiracy theorist types” have known all along.

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

“Gentlemen, after much digging, the investigation into corruption in our sport with regards to officials has been concluded”

”WE ALL GET RAISES!!!!”

Aplogies, I just saw that sketch has already been done. My bad. I should read threads first all the way through.

Edited by HeartsandonlyHearts

Welcome to our world Liam. The red card on Tuesday would never have been red in Scotland, but the ref was right as it was a dangerous tackle with his foot off the ground. That ref. adhered to the law, ours don't.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, Nerja Jambo said:

Welcome to our world Liam. The red card on Tuesday would never have been red in Scotland, but the ref was right as it was a dangerous tackle with his foot off the ground. That ref. adhered to the law, ours don’t.

Not exactly true. Hearts fans on here could point out on many occasions when they’ve more than adhered to the law as written. Many, many, many times. 🤪

On 10/11/2023 at 09:00, Sooks said:

So did Scott Brown 15 years ago in response to a  journo asking him what the biggest difference he found since moving to Celtic from Hibs.   "I get away with a lot more fouls   at Celtic".

28 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Definite penalty in Europe for the foul on Boyce. 100%.

Agreed. He might have been on his way to ground but the boot was high and made contact. Its dangerous play.