Craziest/most unusual place you've lived

Jambos_1874

Spent over 2 years in the Sarah desert, Algeria in a town called Hassi-Mausoud (Sorry for the spelling) while in the oil industry. 

It was a crazy place, kids living in cardboard boxes with a goat on the end of a string on one side of the road, and people with private pools in the other. 

The food was crazy, camels were walking about .. everyone was working an angle.  Had to learn French and some Arabic to get by.  

And my god it was hot...... 45+ I was the Baldest, whitest, redist guy going. 

Edited by Bigsmak

periodictabledancer

I worked down in the Falklands for a bit and I used to hate leaving that giant corridor that seems to connect most of the main camp because at one end there was the most terrifying bunch of vultures I've ever seen. They all congregated on a big radio mast right above the door. 

Definitely one of the oddest places I've been (and full of very odd people) .

Locals driving through the camp because it's not a private road and always trying to get into the NAAFI etc because stuff there was way cheaper than they were paying in local shops. 

I went to a boozer in Stanley (Red Rose ?) and got regaled with how much they love Thatcher and celebrate her with a "Margaret Thatcher Day".  The lndlord , on recalling I was actually Scottish said  sarcastically "Oh , you're Scottish, you probably don't". I said, "that's the only thing you've got right since I've been here".  I got booted  out and sent back to camp. 

And WTF is that "road" from  from camp to Stanley - it's  like they bought fifty million tons of gravel and just dumped it on the ground. It's high up, it's very exposed and when it's windy no one on camp is allowed to drive on it. And if that wasn't enough, if you had an accident and veered off and survived, you're likely to end up in a minefield. 

5 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

And WTF is that "road" from  from camp to Stanley - it's  like they bought fifty million tons of gravel and just dumped it on the ground. It's high up, it's very exposed and when it's windy no one on camp is allowed to drive on it. And if that wasn't enough, if you had an accident and veered off and survived, you're likely to end up in a minefield. 

Hill tracks/roads are often built up, if it higher up the snow clears off easily (relatively) and the road remains open, if it's build at, or lower than the land it's built on so to be less obvious, snow just gets blown into the "trench" of the road, cuts off the road and can take months to thaw.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm sure that @jonesy (RIP :() would have provided some decent input to this thread.

He was a slavering goon.

il Duce McTarkin
37 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:jj:

Aren't we all on here? :lol:

Speak for yourself.

Anyway, jonesy was one of the good guys. The forum is poorer for his untimely demise. 

10 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Speak for yourself.

Anyway, jonesy was one of the good guys. The forum is poorer for his untimely demise. 

Did we ever find out what he got locked up for?

16 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Spent over 2 years in the Sarah desert, Algeria in a town called Hassi-Mausoud (Sorry for the spelling) while in the oil industry. 

It was a crazy place, kids living in cardboard boxes with a goat on the end of a string on one side of the road, and people with private pools in the other. 

The food was crazy, camels were walking about .. everyone was working an angle.  Had to learn French and some Arabic to get by.  

And my god it was hot...... 45+ I was the Baldest, whitest, redist guy going. 

It's hard to deal with that kind of poverty, I struggled with the old first world guilt in Mumbai

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think he fell on his own sword.

Aye, forum wise, but something prompted it. I reckoned either his wife found he was cheating and he's on a short leash, including "that bloody forum", or he's been nicked for something and doesn't want his views traced. Or his work have had a word.

In the absence of evidence, speculation will have to do!

3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm sure that @jonesy (RIP :() would have provided some decent input to this thread.

He was without doubt the best poster on this by far.  I always felt quite an honour when he mentioned me or commented on my posts. He was very supportive of me and my " ways" on this and composed a terrific posting on the " covid" thread when it was at is most  virulent in support of me. He was also very sharp and witty.  God bless him . wherever he is. 

il Duce McTarkin
38 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Did we ever find out what he got locked up for?

He fell on his own sword, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS. :(

Edit. Beaten to it.

Think he got pissed off with percieved double standards and general lack of accountability for decisions from the high heid yins and mugged the place off. Coud be wrong, mind. His greatest fault was that he liked james.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

15 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

He fell on his own sword, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS. :(

Edit. Beaten to it.

Think he got pissed off with percieved double standards and general lack of accountability for decisions from the high heid yins and mugged the place off. Coud be wrong, mind. His greatest fault was that he liked james.

Then he'd just sign out and not come back, his account's deleted.

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Then he'd just sign out and not come back, his account's deleted.

He requested it iirc.

Konrad von Carstein
4 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Speak for yourself.

:muggy: