Best Ever ‘LIVE’ DJ Set

luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

For me, this is the best ever(so far). I must have listened to this at least a couple hundred times at work now, keeps me going throughout the night…many thanks to @Irufushi for sending me it. What’s your favourite, looking forward to listening to some jkb classic recommendations at my work. 

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

For me, this is the best ever(so far). I must have listened to this at least a couple hundred times at work now, keeps me going throughout the night…many thanks to @Irufushi for sending me it. What’s your favourite, looking forward to listening to some jkb classic recommendations at my work. 

Love this.

Loads of the Anjunadeep stuff is magic too.

Like you say, keeps you going through the night when you've a hard graft on.

been here before

I saw Bob Malcolm and Bill Torrance spinning the discs at a family day thing at Musselburgh Racecourse about 25 years ago.

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Did you write it as 'live' because its actually pre-recorded?

Because it probably is.

There’s a crowd 😁

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Irufushi said:

Canna beat a bit of anjuna, more an anjunadeep man nowadays though. Really like Nõpi lately, lovely tracks. 

Link to current favourite 

I went to a Messenger Sound System in the late 90s, had a great night getting down and smoking joints.

Found out afterwards it had been a live set by Lee Scratch Perry.

So that, mainly because I'm out of ideas after that.

il Duce McTarkin
41 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Playing other peoples music now warrants a "best ever" claim? Well I never. 

muppets-statler-and-waldorf.jpg

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

never-mind-leaving.gif

10 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Love this.

Loads of the Anjunadeep stuff is magic too.

Like you say, keeps you going through the night when you've a hard graft on.

Some of them are excellent - my go to is the (Bonus Edition) with James Grant b2b Jody Wisternoff Live at Anjunadeep London: Printworks - not sure what number it was but the week of release on the podcast was 19/12/2018

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's a genre thing. 

That said, if it's creative originality that floats your boat, A&B (the first lot posted by the OP) rank higher than most, IMO. They are a pretty original and talented lot, to be fair.

Edited by Ulysses

Not live but I had on Eddie Halliwells "Fire It Up" the other day. Reminiscing about being 16 and seeing him and Judge Jules @ Indicator @ The Honeycomb. Music taste switched to Techno not long after that and now I would be suprised if I could manage to be awake long enough to see the headline act at a club. Must have been about ten years since my last outting at Cab Vol, closest I get now is "Alexa play Techno" whilst I hover the house.

Psychedelicropcircle

My favourite DJ would be the late great Paul trouble Anderson whom I seen many times. One night at tribal funktion (the venue) in the mid nineties during the festival Danny tanaglia did a set till way past 5am. A memorable night!

5 hours ago, Americana said:

Not live but I had on Eddie Halliwells "Fire It Up" the other day. Reminiscing about being 16 and seeing him and Judge Jules @ Indicator @ The Honeycomb. Music taste switched to Techno not long after that and now I would be suprised if I could manage to be awake long enough to see the headline act at a club. Must have been about ten years since my last outting at Cab Vol, closest I get now is "Alexa play Techno" whilst I hover the house.

Eddie halliwell and Spencer brown are the two best DJs I’ve seen. Halliwell was one of the best nights I ever had was around 2008 had the place absolutely bouncing. 

Fitzroy Pointon
8 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Eddie halliwell and Spencer brown are the two best DJs I’ve seen. Halliwell was one of the best nights I ever had was around 2008 had the place absolutely bouncing. 

Quick question for the uneducated. Not being a dance fan (although I had a few great nights in the Arches - drugs helped), but what makes a set amazing? Surely they are playing mostly other peoples tunes/mixes (maybe A&B are different, my mates a massive fan of them) or is it about the mixing? I know they need to read the room and create an atmosphere but I've never known how to tell an amazing DJ from a good one who plays great tunes.  

Ministryofdad

Best live set fatboy slim at glastonbury this year. 

All time.... Agnelli and Nelson ministry of sound in ibiza 2002

Shout out to Gary Spence and GBX George Bowie 

45 minutes ago, Ministryofdad said:

Best live set fatboy slim at glastonbury this year. 

Didn’t see this in the flesh as such but was well impressed watching it ‘live’ as it was broadcast on the telly. Norman put some energy into that set. 

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It's a genre thing. 

That said, if it's creative originality that floats your boat, A&B (the first lot posted by the OP) rank higher than most, IMO. They are a pretty original and talented lot, to be fair.

More a generational thing I would suggest. 

il Duce McTarkin
22 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Really like Nõpi lately, lovely tracks. 

Been the soundtrack to today's motoring.

Great recommendation, ta.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

Rupert Pupkin

Jeff Mills anytime he played PURE..

Ben Sims recently at The Mash House

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Andy Weatherall (RIP), Sean Johnson, David Holmes.

That kind of thing for me.

Erol Alkan and Man Power this Friday in North Shields. 

15 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Jeff Mills, Dave Clarke and Andy Weatherall at Pure would be my shouts. 

Rupert Pupkin
4 hours ago, Zico said:

Jeff Mills, Dave Clarke and Andy Weatherall at Pure would be my shouts. 

Agree , Weatherall was always special… The last time he played he gave me a white label of his latest track, which he duly signed for me… I later found out he had promised it to Andy ( Brainstorm)  

Bloke was an absolute gentleman , always had time for a chat.
One to cherish since he passed..😢😢

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

3 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Agree , Weatherall was always special… The last time he played he gave me a white label of his latest track, which he duly signed for me… I later found out he had promised it to Andy ( Brainstorm)  

Bloke was an absolute gentleman , always had time for a chat.
One to cherish since he passed..😢😢

I was lucky enough to DJ with him a few times and, as you say, he was an absolute gent. No ego, really supportive, just a top bloke - great stories too!

Used to see Andy kicking about the record shops as well back in the day. I had so many great nights at Pure thanks to him and Keith. 

I had the pleasure a few years ago of going to the premier of a film about Northern Soul and the aftershow party had Russ Winstanley doing a DJ set. One of the best nights of just dancing all night I’ve ever had. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I had the pleasure a few years ago of going to the premier of a film about Northern Soul and the aftershow party had Russ Winstanley doing a DJ set. One of the best nights of just dancing all night I’ve ever had. 

😂

Rupert Pupkin
22 minutes ago, Zico said:

I was lucky enough to DJ with him a few times and, as you say, he was an absolute gent. No ego, really supportive, just a top bloke - great stories too!

Used to see Andy kicking about the record shops as well back in the day. I had so many great nights at Pure thanks to him and Keith. 

Yeah…Such a legendary club, that still means so much to so many… 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Soul Boy?

That must've been some night, Russ Winstanley is a legend.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Soul Boy?

That must've been some night, Russ Winstanley is a legend.

Yep. And the DJ set was in a really small venue so great atmosphere. 

Can't really claim to be a regular DJ set goer bar a brief period in the 2000s of going to a few dance festivals and clubs but the night that stands out was Felix Da Housecat at Ego in I think, 2002. Was off my face which undoubtedly helped but remember him doing stuff from his Kittenz and Thee Glitz album, remixes, Vitalic etc. and being bloody great; loved that electroclash era. Assume set was similar to this 

On 07/11/2023 at 21:59, Rupert Pupkin said:

Absolutely. 

il Duce McTarkin
On 07/11/2023 at 08:52, Sex Panther said:

Some of them are excellent - my go to is the (Bonus Edition) with James Grant b2b Jody Wisternoff Live at Anjunadeep London: Printworks - not sure what number it was but the week of release on the podcast was 19/12/2018

Found it on Soundcloud.

This is the sort of stuff I need to keep me company on a 12 hr nightshift off the coast of some generally third-world shithole.

Excellent recommendation, thanks. 👍

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Wee bump for this thread.

Not the best ever, but some great melodic house.

Listen to Marsh - LIVE at The Cityfox Odyssey (NYE & NYD 2020) by CITYFOX on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/wzCxP

Marsh is fantastic!

if you haven’t already give the Tony mcguinness’ deep sets a listen along with Hernan Cattaneo sets or his podcast is always excellent, recently got into Gai Barone’s podcast too which is also excellent. 

special mention for Alex o’rion look up his sets. 

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXZAh714xA&si=9XPlOZwnBdDZyRpM