Looking back 2 or 3 years from now...

Gmcjambo

New main stand and pitch,  Fan Ownership with ongoing contrubitions, back in Europe (at a canter) with some serious £££,  record ST holders and a very generous benefactor.   This could and should be a golden age for our football club,  a period where we step up, with daylight emerging between us and 'the others' on and off the pitch.    Whilst I always thought the talk (particiulalry by Savage) of competing with Rangers and Celtic unwise and unrealistic,  we should be at least moving closer and beginning to take some points of them,  some of the time and be improving our dismal record against them.

Failure to finish 3rd last season was undoubtedly huge,  and looking at the league and the manner of our performances it already feels like any benefit from being in Europe has been fleeting rather than the start of a process to grow the club on and off the pitch.

This season is massive for us now, and it can't just be 'okay',  we need to see progress  on the pitch, and secure 3rd again.  Either we'll look back longer term  recongise we've blown a unique opportunity,  or we will somehow reset and start to deliver in line with the potential this football club has.

Already this season,  we have failed to take advantage of our very kind fixture and a poor Aberdeen and Hibs side,   the Sheep struggling with the demands of Europe (and well,  have just been a bit shit),  and Hibs having an awful start to their season and sacking their manager.    

Yet here we are in 5th,  just 2 points ahead of Aberdeen (who have a game in hand),  and 3 points ahead of Hibs...

Whilst the issues run deeper than the manager,  when you consider the size of our club and the facts set out above - it seems clear we lacked ambition and when replacing RN.  The Board put the Club in an embarassing situation with the communication around Naismith and McAvoy and that seems to have set the tone for this season.     With some comments from Savage recently, I'm now confused about who is responsible for recruitment but we have lacked getting in players that have more agression, determinion and grit - anyone can see we are too passive and need more drive on the pitch.

I'm not sure what should happen next,  but continuing like this is not the answer.   We need  much better communication from the Board - what do they think about the lack of progress versus their stated ambitions?  What do they think needs to be done?  The fan ownership model should be bringing greater accountability to the Board, (without it becoming fan run)...and whilst the decision to recruit arookie manager should usually mean giving them more time and support, I hope the club is already reconsidering their options and has a contigency plan lined up performances don't improve this month.

I wish I felt more confidence about the future given the excitment at the start of last season - be interested in other views (and reasons to be more optimisitic would be great too!)...

kingantti1874

The sooner you come to realise that sometimes hearts will be better than we are now, and sometimes we will be worse the easier it will be. 

whilst financially we are doing well, it’s no where near enough to cement an expectation that we finish third every year, or get closer to rangers and Celtic.  Financially they are getting further away from us every year. We picked up £5m from Europe. / Celtic picked up £50million. 

our advantage if it exists at all over the other no. Glasgow clubs is marginal, it can be offset by wealthy owners such as Cormack or by Borrowing like hibs, it can be offset if we lose 3/4 highly paid players to injury or of smaller clubs find some gems.