Eating healthy at work.

Greedy Jambo

I think we've all nipped out for a sausage roll, or a steak pie at some point.

i've been trying to cut that sort of thing out by making my own cheese, ham, and tomato sandwiches, the amount of cheese I'm getting through is ridiculous though, so now I'm trying to cut that out!

What sort of things do you take to work?

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

i've been trying to cut that sort of thing out by making my own cheese, ham, and tomato sandwiches, the amount of cheese I'm getting through is ridiculous though, so now I'm trying to cut that out!

Tuna, Red onion, cheese, jalapeño and squirt of garlic mayo in a wrap. Then toasted under the grill.

4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Take fish. You'll get the staffroom to yourself. 👍

I was actually thinking about tuna and sweetcorn with a light mayo, and tuna & cucumber, but i've already got baked potatoes on the list for in the house, and what do i put on them? More tuna! lol. 

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Tuna, Red onion, cheese, jalapeño and squirt of garlic mayo in a wrap. Then toasted under the grill.

That does sound good, and wraps keep longer than bread/rolls. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Depends on what your goal is I suppose. For me I am eating low calorie and trying burn fat and lose weight. Low calorie bread (hovis nimble, 50 calories a slice) with some chicken breast, lettuce, tomato and mustard equates to less than 350 calories. I pretty much take that into work every day. I take low calorie crackers, cucumbers, carrots and celery sticks and hummus to snack on. 

Fibre one bars are brilliant for a sweet treat. 

I always boil 24 eggs at the beginning of the week as everyone loves them, brilliant for breakfast and snacking. 

Bacon sannies can be low calorie with the above bread. 

Fruits, nuts, seeds are all your friends. 

Low calories Greek yogurt with honey - braw. 

Keep it simple. 

Soups as well with winter season coming up will be getting a proper outing. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I always boil 24 eggs at the beginning of the week as everyone loves them

See my previous post. 🤮

6 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

See my previous post. 🤮

Aii, I get pelters from the lads but I keep saying if they don’t be quiet I’ll bring in tinned Mackerel next time. 😂😂😂 

My diet is horrendous when I’m at work, I’m not office based so out and about all day. Supermarket meals deals daily. Spend a fortune but don’t have the willpower to meal prep. 

8 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

My diet is horrendous when I’m at work, I’m not office based so out and about all day. Supermarket meals deals daily. Spend a fortune but don’t have the willpower to meal prep. 

Yeah, I can be in the warehouse for days, or out seeing customers all over the country, either way, it's an expensive habit going to the shop every day. I'm not into meal prep either, hence the ham cheese and tomato sandwiches made in a rush about 10 minutes before i leave the house!

I used to have 3 Soups and 2 * 2 baked potatoes across a week but realised I was eating far too many carbs so basically swapped the potatoes for stir fry. Now just get a deal at the supermarket of stir fry noodles and sauce and in 10 mins you have 2 meals.

We also get 3 gousto meals a week and usually leftovers for lunch. You can control what you get and find it quite therapeutic at the end of a day to listen to music/podcast and cook for 30/40 mins.

This is where working from home has its benefits.

Seeded bread, toasted with 2 poached eggs and some fruit for workday lunches.

400 odd calories.

When I started my current job I put on about 4 stone in weight, my first non physical, office based job. Health issues contributed as well as doctor told me to stop playing 5s.

I looked at what I was eating amd made some changes with my lunches at work. I bought a nutribullet amd started juicing. There's a small amount of frozen berries and a good bit of spinach amd brocoli. Also changed my breakfast to peanut butter and toast. I've now lost the extra weight I put on, started going back to the gym and now, at 50, I'm in the best shape I've been on since I was around 18.

I would need more to survive if I was still working for a living.

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

This is where working from home has its benefits.

Seeded bread, toasted with 2 poached eggs and some fruit for workday lunches.

400 odd calories.

Aye, but you're sitting there getting no exercise... 

Cheese isn't unhealthy per se. As with most things too much is. High in fat but good source of calcium and has zinc, vitamin D, vitamin A and protein. I'd keep some of those sandwiches in there of you like them.

I always make chicken (breast or southern fried birdseye grills, salt n pepper fillets etc) and rice or beef (either steak or steak burgers) and rice and eat this every day religiously at work out my tupperware 😅. Uncle Ben's do a good selection of micro rices to make it hassle free too.

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

Take fish. You'll get the staffroom to yourself. 👍

Correct, who would want to sit beside that Hibs twat?

10 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Cheese isn't unhealthy per se. As with most things too much is. High in fat but good source of calcium and has zinc, vitamin D, vitamin A and protein. I'd keep some of those sandwiches in there of you like them.

I always make chicken (breast or southern fried birdseye grills, salt n pepper fillets etc) and rice or beef (either steak or steak burgers) and rice and eat this every day religiously at work out my tupperware 😅. Uncle Ben's do a good selection of micro rices to make it hassle free too.

I've got a high cholesterol count, that's my reasoning for cutting out the cheese, i'm not sure light mayo and light utterly butterly is going to help either mind you. 

14 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Can of Pepsi Max

Pretty much it.

You're either talking pish, or you smoke 20 a day. 

41 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've got a high cholesterol count, that's my reasoning for cutting out the cheese, i'm not sure light mayo and light utterly butterly is going to help either mind you. 

When I first heard I had a high cholesterol count, I was prescribed a statin, and apart from that my GP had no suggestions or advice.  I asked him about diet, and he advised me not to bother.  By that he meant that people should try to eat a healthy diet because it's the right thing to do, but he didn't believe there was any real value in trying to change your cholesterol level by dieting.  He was just one GP, but make of that what you will.

Good thread, btw.  The only real chance you have of eating healthy stuff at work is by bringing it in yourself and not buying food to go.

5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

When I first heard I had a high cholesterol count, I was prescribed a statin, and apart from that my GP had no suggestions or advice.  I asked him about diet, and he advised me not to bother.  By that he meant that people should try to eat a healthy diet because it's the right thing to do, but he didn't believe there was any real value in trying to change your cholesterol level by dieting.  He was just one GP, but make of that what you will.

Good thread, btw.  The only real chance you have of eating healthy stuff at work is by bringing it in yourself and not buying food to go.

Doctors are useless man, all they do is send you away with drugs, not once have i ever been cured of anything. 

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Doctors are useless man, all they do is send you away with drugs, not once have i ever been cured of anything. 

I have, and more than once.  By the way, I've never changed my diet, but my cholesterol is now just below the "warning level", as it has been for 15 years, and I'm still taking a low dosage of statins each day, so I reckon he earned his money.

But YMMV, as you know.

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Last time I was at the Dr's they suggested I go for an x-ray. Aye, good one. 

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-ro

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I mean that is insane by you GP

Eat anything you want as long as you calorie count. Try make it nutritional food , obviously but its the calories which are the important part. I calorie count and fast too.

Never eat anything from 10 pm to around 6 pm the next day really. I do " cheat " at times if I feel genuine feelings of hunger and eat earlier * usually after 3 if i need to. 

If you make sandwich , make it wholemeal brown bread . Most fruit and veg are also very low in calories too. 

My superfood is blueberries.  They really are rich in all kinds of vitamins etc. I blend them and make a drink from them

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I mean that is insane by you GP

And yet, when I followed his advice, my cholesterol level fell to a safe level.  On the face of it, that seems quite sane and rational.  And he has a medical qualification, which I'm guessing you don't.  In light of that I'd probably follow his medical advice quicker than yours.  I'm equally sure that you'd follow a doctor's advice quicker than mine.

12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

My superfood is blueberries.  They really are rich in all kinds of vitamins etc. I blend them and make a drink from them

There's research out there that says that it's better not to do this.  When you blend or "blitz" fruits, you don't add anything to their nutritional value, but you do break down some of the fibre and roughage they contain, thereby reducing the value they provide as a source of dietary fibre.  If you're getting fibre from other sources it's probably not such a big deal, but of course not everyone does.

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Plenty time before and after work.

True, but it's a task getting yourself up for it, if you're at work (not an office job) at least you're getting your 10k steps in per day. 

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

And yet, when I followed his advice, my cholesterol level fell to a safe level.  On the face of it, that seems quite sane and rational.  And he has a medical qualification, which I'm guessing you don't.  In light of that I'd probably follow his medical advice quicker than yours.  I'm equally sure that you'd follow a doctor's advice quicker than mine.

Not sure why you are being bitchy mate, I am happy his advice worked for you. 

My old man got diagnosed with high cholesterol and his doctor advised him to change his diet and life style before prescribing medication. . He did, lost 4 stone and his cholesterol is fine now. Didn’t need the Stantins.

So clearly not all doctors advice is the same.

14 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

There's research out there that says that it's better not to do this.  When you blend or "blitz" fruits, you don't add anything to their nutritional value, but you do break down some of the fibre and roughage they contain, thereby reducing the value they provide as a source of dietary fibre.  If you're getting fibre from other sources it's probably not such a big deal, but of course not everyone does.

I dont really like to eat them normally. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You're either talking pish, or you smoke 20 a day. 

Sadly not........And I dont smoke.

(Also dont eat breakfast)

Have a cup of tea in the morning though.

Phil D. Corners
51 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Overnight oats, with natural yoghurt and some oat milk along with fruit of your choice...

This…. Easy to prep the night before. I take it to work and eat it at my desk as I’m never hungry first thing in the morning. 👌🏻

7 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Sorry to hear that, it must be tough not being able to eat. 

I grew up wanting to be a chef, all i think about is flavours. 

12 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Yep its a myth about breakfast being the " most important food of the day" 

4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye but Crunchy Nut Cornflakes though❤️

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Not sure why you are being bitchy mate, I am happy his advice worked for you. 

My old man got diagnosed with high cholesterol and his doctor advised him to change his diet and life style before prescribing medication. . He did, lost 4 stone and his cholesterol is fine now. Didn’t need the Stantins.

So clearly not all doctors advice is the same.

I can see why your old man's cholesterol level dropped.  Anyone who was overweight and lost four stone would also see a fall in their cholesterol level, and would probably see a drop in their blood pressure, not to mention their triglyceride and blood sugar levels.  But in fairness your old man's cholesterol level didn't drop because he changed what he was eating.  It was because he lost a load of excess weight.  That's fair enough and is backed by the medical research - but the business of "eating foods that reduce your cholesterol level" isn't, or at least isn't to any great extent.

My GP advised that people "should try to eat a healthy diet because it's the right thing to do".   But where he drew the line was at the notion that different foods could be used to bring down your cholesterol level.  There is a bit of research that shows that changing some of your intake of certain types of fats can lead to increased or decreased cholesterol levels.  However, somewhere between 85% and 90% of the cholesterol in your system is produced naturally by the liver, which means that diet can only impact the other 10 to 15 percent, and even then only to a limited degree.  Of course if people are significantly underweight or overweight that will have knock-on effects on their blood make-up, but the simple act of losing or gaining weight will be much more important for cholesterol levels than specific items in one's diet - and even then will be significantly less important than the behaviour of the liver.

Maybe what's clear is that not every patient presents with the same issues and the same medical history, and that doctors don't necessarily offer them all the same answers.

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes, and no...have a decent breakfast and you can cruise through past lunch...have some shit cereal and you're bucked...

30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I dont really like to eat them normally. 

I prefer to eat them abnormally.  :laugh:  :whistling: 

By that I mean I mix them up with other stuff (e.g. raspberries, mandarins and the like), and chuck in some Greek yoghurt.  Blueberries tick a lot of good dietary boxes, but there are more enjoyable things out there to eat.

I know someone that can't put weight on if he tried.. aged 50, he's still skinny as ****. 

He eats all sorts of shit, takeaways all the time etc.

He doesn't eat breakfast though, and barely eats lunch, then he eats enough for 3 people for dinner. 

Scientists take not. 

P.s he drinks a shit load of coffee and smokes a lot of fags. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Yes, and no...have a decent breakfast and you can cruise through past lunch...have some shit cereal and you're bucked...

What about the French notion of having sod all of your daily calorie intake in the morning, then having a bigger lunch than we're used to, and then dinner in the evening - often not much bigger than lunch?

37 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Sorry to hear that, it must be tough not being able to eat. 

I grew up wanting to be a chef, all i think about is flavours. 

Hardly ever eaten breakfast my whole life. Genuinely makes me feel quite nauseous but I do also have acid reflux.

Skip lunch breaks all the time all the time. But of a running joke with folk in my school about my lack of lunches.

Folk offer to make me stuff all the time but I refuse as I say it would only exacerbate my laziness at making myself something.

Occasionally I might stick a single packet of crisps in my bag...or maybe a kit kat.

Very very occasionally I actually make myself rolls or a salad for like two days on the trot but honestly that happens once every two months. It doesn't make you lose weight though as much as you think it might.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Got high cholestrerol too, doc told me low fat (30% less) is fine. Lets face it, most bog standard cheese nowadays (Cathedral City, Pilgrims Choice) is all pretty bland anyhow so 30% less makes no difference taste wise.

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Stick some green stuff between two slices of wholemeal and you'll be sorted . . . .

Been eating rice and tuna with a splash of hot sauce for lunch at work everyday for a year now. Fast through breakfast until then.   Odd concept but it works well for my training regime. Thats 2 x tins of tuna and white ot wholemeal rice.