The Beatles new/last song

Nucky Thompson

I can't yet, I thought they did a really good job with Free as a bird in the 90s but 30 years on from even that feels like a stretch. I'll give it a lug when I can get past all that. 

I know that comes across as wanky, but this is the Beatles! Or not...

Its not earth-shatteringly  brilliant in itself, but its the story behind it that makes it remarkable.   Apparently Yoko found a fairly basic demo recording  JL had made of the song and she contacted Paul McCartney.   Today's released version  has an impressive orchestral arrangement over it.  Not sure the role of AI, tbh  - maybe to enhance JL's voice & pitch perhaps ?    

Fitzroy Pointon

Not getting the hype at all. Total w@nkfest about it on Radio 6 today while I'm sitting thinking "is that it?". Anyway, what I know about the Beatles you could write down on a fag paper but this is just bland to me. 

Give me I am the Walrus or Paperback Writer any day. 

Huge Beatles fan.

However, I don't see how it can be termed a Beatles song.

Written and recorded in 1978, apparently, by Lennon, with no McCartney in sight.

It is, at best, a John Lennon song that he clearly didn't think much of and had no intention of taking any further.

The Beatles have broken up.

John and George are no longer with us.

They are not getting back together.

13 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Its not earth-shatteringly  brilliant in itself, but its the story behind it that makes it remarkable.   Apparently Yoko found a fairly basic demo recording  JL had made of the song and she contacted Paul McCartney.   Today's released version  has an impressive orchestral arrangement over it.  Not sure the role of AI, tbh  - maybe to enhance JL's voice & pitch perhaps ?    

The AI was used to isolate the vocals. The original demo is on YouTube, but for some reason I can't open it on my phone. 

Hagar the Horrible

It was mostly written by JL so bland in the extreme.  Totally dislike it, It would have been best deleted.  If Yoko did not have a hand in it, it might have been at least ordinary, but she was a talent drainer, she has some sort of reverse Midas touch on talent.  Even the Blessed Paul could not polish this turd.  Sure fire nostalgic number one though, if such a thing still exists, music stopped for me after 1979

10 hours ago, martoon said:

Huge Beatles fan.

Written and recorded in 1978, apparently, by Lennon, with no McCartney in sight.

It is, at best, a John Lennon song that he clearly didn't think much of and had no intention of taking any further.

They didn't write together, they just agreed that both their names would be on all compositions. Lennon/McCartney songs were either/or.

Not that different from any other in that sense.

Edited by ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS

As a massive Beatles fan I was desperate to like it. Tried a few times now and, well, it's okayish but something doesn't sit right with this one.

John Gentleman
15 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

You've missed the point of it. It's not about 'enhancement' of anything. It's about monetisation.

10 hours ago, martoon said:

Huge Beatles fan.

You can’t be that much of a huge Beatles fan. A lot of, particularly later material, was written solo with minimal input from others.

24 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You can’t be that much of a huge Beatles fan. A lot of, particularly later material, was written solo with minimal input from others.

Well aware of that liam.

However, I still don't see how a song written by Lennon in 1978 can be The Beatles and, assuming it is, credit shared with McCartney.

It's a John Lennon solo work or perhaps, as was sometimes the case, credit shared with Yoko. 

Iirc, Free as a Bird in the 90's was added to by McCartney with the "Whatever happened to..." bridge.

That made it Lennon & McCartney and a Beatles track.

Well, up to a point.

1 hour ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

They didn't write together, they just agreed that both their names would be on all compositions. Lennon/McCartney songs were either/or.

Not that different from any other in that sense.

Aware of that, bud.

However, the credit share obviously didn't apply to stuff they wrote and recorded after the Beatles broke up.

14 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aware of that, bud.

However, the credit share obviously didn't apply to stuff they wrote and recorded after the Beatles broke up.

Of course, but Free as a bird was the same deal except George was around.

It's good hearing John Lennon again, but let's face it, if it wasn't him, or the beatles, it wouldn't be remembered for long. 

Apart from that though, it's pretty epic haha

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Quite like the story behind this song being made, however, I feel it's a pile of shite. I was never a fan of them though, I just feel they are so over rated.

On 03/11/2023 at 06:30, Ray Gin said:

Bland.

Being kind.....!

Also heard two tracks of the new Stones album . . . . Personally think it's dreadful . . .

16 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Nothing will prepare you for this video.

The song isn’t earth shattering but when you put it with the video it is quite touching, especially if you are a Beatles fan.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

3 hours ago, Section Q said:

Also heard two tracks of the new Stones album . . . . Personally think it's dreadful . . .

Do you think they're starting the lose the rawness amd edge that comes with youth?

2 hours ago, superjack said:

Do you think they're starting the lose the rawness amd edge that comes with youth?

Aye, never mind mars bars, Mick Jagger's sooking soup from colostomy bags these days

3 hours ago, superjack said:

When they toured Australia about 20 years ago, my wife was working in the medical industry and knew the cardiologist who was stage side during their performances. It was a condition of their insurance coverage.

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The song isn’t earth shattering but when you put it with the video it is quite touching, especially if you are a Beatles fan.

This 

7 hours ago, Section Q said:

Being kind.....!

I think the album is superb, it’s got a great mix of all their sounds through the eras.

And Sweet Sound of Heaven with Lady Gaga is up there with Gimme Shelter.

4 hours ago, superjack said:

I remember going to see them in with 89 or 90 at Hampden as I thought I should go and see them before they retire. Now doing the sums they were only in their late 40’s then. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I remember going to see them in with 89 or 90 at Hampden as I thought I should go and see them before they retire. Now doing the sums they were only in their late 40’s then. 

It's mental when you think about it. Jagger is older than my mother in law, who's in a nursing home, not knowing who anyone is, while sat in her pish. In fact, he's probably older than most of the other inmates she's in with.

11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The video is very good.

On Apple Music there is a documentary too showing the process behind the song and how the Get Back documentary kickstarted this last project.