whats contract work?

cheeseypleasey

cheeseypleasey

and is it dodgy to give up full time work for it?

the contract work is in holland:)

Rick Grimes

short term work with few benefits & even less guarantees. better money tho.

that said, if you could easily come back after 2-3 months and get work here again & don't anything like a mortgage to worry about then it may be worth it.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Contract work is work for a fixed length of time (usually self employed)

Is it worth giving up full time work for? Depends on a number of factors and only you will have the answers to most of them

1. The contract will be a fixed length (a month, 6 months, a year, 2 years?) At the end your out on your ass unless the people your working for have another contract for you

2. It will be better paid than full time work

3. You probably wont get paid holidays

4. You have heehaw job security

5. You can walk anytime and go back to full time

6. You can have a good length of time between contracts

I've been doing it for 6 years now and for most of the time is great. I have a set amount of work to do each week and once its finished I'm done. I never work a full week and I rarely work on Friday afternoons if at all on Fridays. The downside is waiting for work to come in and not earning which is usually December and January (which are the most expensive times of the year)

Depends on your confidence levels at the end of the day

cheeseypleasey

the money is ?3 more an hour than what im on plus free accom but if i rent out my house i could be lucky and be minted instead of truging month to month thing is im a big ****ebag and cant decide if i should go for it

Rick Grimes
the money is ?3 more an hour than what im on plus free accom but if i rent out my house i could be lucky and be minted instead of truging month to month thing is im a big ****ebag and cant decide if i should go for it

if you can get guaranteed rental then you're laughing. do you mind me asking how old you are?

Rick Grimes

33 is probably on the cusp of not getting any opportunities like this again. if you've got a bit of wanderlust then go for it.

am 33 myself and the main thing i reckon i've missed out on so far is not seeing more of the world outside of holidays. if i had a solid opportunity & someone to rent my place i reckon i'd take it. ****ebag no longer!

Doctor FinnBarr

I contracted in Germany about 20 years ago now, made about ?100 a week spray-painting(in Scotland that is) moved out there and whang, 45 hour week and I was clearing ?350. Don't suppose it'll be the same now.

Good luck tho.

:)

Doctor FinnBarr
thats what i do !sprayer

Spraying what tho? I served my time as a car-painter but made far better money out there painting office furniture.

:confused:

cheeseypleasey

cars but the work out there is doing spot-ins on brand new faits ,ive alaways worked in bodyshops

Doctor FinnBarr
cars but the work out there is doing spot-ins on brand new faits ,ive alaways worked in bodyshops

Might be the same angle out there, trust your own judgement and nobody else's. Worked well for me, but thats not to say it;s the thing for you. If it doe's work out its cracking but just make sure you're not going to get ripped off!

Goodnight CP

:)

Unlucky it wasn't last year then you'd've missed the ****e season we had :(

Sounds like an interesting thing to try - surely you'd be able to fine employment back here again if it didn't work out.

Just list all the pros and cons and then try and decide - no doubt you'll get plenty of advice (some of it serious) on here :laugh:

Britons are among the biggest whingers in the workplace, a report claimed yesterday.

A study of work attitudes among almost 14,000 employees in 23 countries showed that the French were most unhappy with their pay and working hours, with staff from Britain and Sweden joint second.

The study by research group FDS also covered how employees felt work impinged on their private lives.

More than one in three British workers said they did not get enough holidays, while one in five complained about the trials of commuting.

Two out of five workers said they were not satisfied with their level of pay, compared with just 15 per cent in Ireland. The least whinging workers were in Holland, the study found.

I worked in Holland for 15 months on a secondment and there were tax implications which my employer took care of. I suggest you look very carefully into the tax aspects. You might be earning more but Dutch taxes are much higher, if you are liable (and you might well be).

If you retain your house in the UK the IR will consider you domicile in the UK so you might get hit twice.

If you've got the chance and not too many ties over here, I would jump at it. Holland's a great place, extremely high standard of living, beautiful women, great beer, legal ganj etc!

Archived