Misplaced/lost passport advice

hmfcbilly

Hi folks, I'm due to take my kids on holiday Sunday coming and for the life of me, cannot find my passport anywhere. I took my daughter to belfast 3 weeks ago and had it then. As it was a domestic flight, I never got asked for it after landing at Edinburgh but did when boarding in Belfast so I've had it up until boarding.  Its not beside my daughters one and I've checked all the obvious places. From what I've read online, I can't get an instant passport to replace a lost or misplaced one, it reads as though you can only get a renewal on an already expired passport on the day. Has anyone experienced similar and, if so, did you ring lost property at the airport/Airline/police first? Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated although spare me the obvious...what did you leave it until the week before you go to check type comments 🙈🤣 on a more serious note, there are several genuine reasons why thats not happened, one of which is that ive been in hospital with my daughter who has been ill. Cheers in advance for any ideas kickback wisdomers may have for me😉

I had to buy a new passport when I lost mine when at the cup final against rangers. Was lost between city centre and Hampden. Never got it back and got a yapping off the passport office as I was due to go on holiday shortly after. I got it fast tracked and got it in time but you saying you're off on Sunday? Unless you are going to somewhere in the UK or the passport turns up you my friend are not going anywhere 

28 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Hi folks, I'm due to take my kids on holiday Sunday coming and for the life of me, cannot find my passport anywhere. I took my daughter to belfast 3 weeks ago and had it then. As it was a domestic flight, I never got asked for it after landing at Edinburgh but did when boarding in Belfast so I've had it up until boarding.  Its not beside my daughters one and I've checked all the obvious places. From what I've read online, I can't get an instant passport to replace a lost or misplaced one, it reads as though you can only get a renewal on an already expired passport on the day. Has anyone experienced similar and, if so, did you ring lost property at the airport/Airline/police first? Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated although spare me the obvious...what did you leave it until the week before you go to check type comments 🙈🤣 on a more serious note, there are several genuine reasons why thats not happened, one of which is that ive been in hospital with my daughter who has been ill. Cheers in advance for any ideas kickback wisdomers may have for me😉

apparently straight away if you book 48 hrs ahead

Thttps://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service#:~:text=The earliest you can get,last up to 30 minutes.

30 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

This is for a renewal. Part of the process is bringing in your old passport.

Report it lost then apply immediately afterwards - worth a try at least 

8 hours ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Report it lost then apply immediately afterwards - worth a try at least 

Yeah I think that's the way I'll need yo go and hope for the best. I'll get that done today. Thanks for the replies folks 👍

Bungalow Bill
2 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Yeah I think that's the way I'll need yo go and hope for the best. I'll get that done today. Thanks for the replies folks 👍

Any luck with the lost and found portal? 

Funnily enough I cancelled my dementia-sufferer mother's passport just yesterday in order to order a replacement. The passport went missing somewhere in the house a few years ago but my sister needs my mother to have a photo id in order to fly BA - and she has of course had her driving licence revoked. The online process was a little problematic shall we say:

- when you do the cancellation bit, Gov.Uk website tells you that you have to call the police to report the passport lost. This is wrong. I dutifully did it but the nice lady at Police Scotland told me that they cancel and destroy automatically any passport handed to the police and there is thus no need to report loss of passport to the police.

- Next problem was the Passport Agency trying to call my dementia sufferer mother, not getting through and the email came to me, so I phoned them and explained that my sister tries to protect her from cold callers so they may not get through. I then asked what info they needed from her that I had not already provided online? They said that they need to confirm her name, address and DOB. I asked why as they have all this info, plenty of other Government agencies also know her address is such and that she may or may not be able to tell them her DOB...they told me it was Data Protection so they could not cancel the passport without speaking to her, and if they try unsuccessfully to call 3 times the passport would not be cancelled and the application for a replacement would be cancelled! I observed that it was the exact opposite of data protection to NOT cancel a passport after being informed that it was lost! She just didn't understand this, even when I told her that the process was clearly set up erroneously, and she could get herself a promotion or pay increase by pointing out to her boss that it was utterly nonsensical and probably why there are so many dodgy UK passports being successfully used at borders!...Agency woman then tells me there are "many reasons why someone might want to cancel someone else's passport vindictively". I asked her to name one which was not negated by the replacement application I'd already completed online which would be sending a replacement to my mother in Glasgow, but she didn't want to answer that...

Fortunately my mother did answer the phone the second attempt, and managed to satisfy their system's requirements!...And even more fortunately my mother told me that she did not tell the lady that she cut up her passport 3 years ago! (don't actually know if that is true or not TBH)

The actual forms online are fine, no problem, it is just the human intervention bits that are nonsensical and problematic...

Edited by Spellczech

15 hours ago, Bungalow Bill said:

Any luck with the lost and found portal? 

There were a few showing as being handed in from last time I travelled through Edinburgh airport. None of them mine but was impressed with the system and how you can check rough area it was found, nationality etc

17 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I hear Blackpool is lovely this time of year.

Kickback never fails to deliver and there's always one. Cheers Hughesie!

I wish I could be helpful but I can only offer you my sympathy and hope you get it sorted.

It’s a bit stable-door etc but I’ve got a wee fire-proof safe in the house, not because I’ve anything worth nicking, but for stuff like passport, birth certificate, insurance docs etc.  

Keeps everything like that in one place.

Best of luck 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Passports are not necessary on internal UK flights.

Use your driving licence instead.

Only if you have a new photo driving licence, and not like Mrs JJ who still has the old paper licence which you can't use for flights.

10 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I think some airlines demand a passport. 

Only to check baggage with the likes of BA, if you are hand baggage only then never been asked for ID flying domestically (previous job had me flying to/from london regularly and only ever needed ID if i was putting a bag in the hold)

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I was sure EasyJet demanded a passport (no driving licence) when I was looking at booking with them last year for a domestic flight. 

Easyjet do require a passport as part of their carriage T's & C's, it says so on the boarding pass, however I've never had to give my passport number, unlike what you have to for international flights nor have I ever been asked to show my passport on domestic flights.

In saying that I did see one chap being asked to show his passport at the boarding gate for a flight from Edinburgh to Belfast back in August, so I think it is random but does happen.