Recommend a Waterproofing Product

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Bought a spray from Mountain warehouse, not the best...

Any of you outdoorsy types recommend a spray to maintain waterproofing after being washed?

Looking at you @Dawnrazor as the site's outdoorsman... :)

been here before
2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Mountain warehouse

I think thats your problem right there. Just not really the best quality, adding a spray or a was in product wont really change an awful lot. The waterproif rating of the jacket is what matters and ifts not good to start with, well...

You can get wash in waterproofing solutions such as Nikwax that might help.

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

What make are you wanting to use it on? 

I've got a few coats and trousers ranging from Karrimor to NF and a couple of pairs of trousers from Decathlon, my new boots are from mountain warehouse.

Just for general rambling with the mutt, 

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I've got a few coats and trousers ranging from Karrimor to NF and a couple of pairs of trousers from Decathlon, my new boots are from mountain warehouse.

Either then, I use Ko Cao Line on my leather boots, either Miendl Kibo gtx, Lowa Tibet gtx or Lundhags.

Konrad von Carstein
51 minutes ago, been here before said:

I think thats your problem right there. Just not really the best quality, adding a spray or a was in product wont really change an awful lot. The waterproif rating of the jacket is what matters and ifts not good to start with, well...

You can get wash in waterproofing solutions such as Nikwax that might help.

Cheers.

Konrad von Carstein
34 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Either then, I use Ko Cao Line on my leather boots, either Miendl Kibo gtx, Lowa Tibet gtx or Lundhags.

Thanks, between you and BHB I've got some searching to do... :)

been here before
42 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

If your boots are leather you cant go wrong with a good well worked in slaver of old fashioned dubbin.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Another shout for Fabsil. You can use it on anything, including tents. Grangers Fabsil Universal Protector (5 Litres), Black, One Size https://amzn.eu/d/imqooU9

Just put it in a houseplant sprayer and be generous with it. 

If your boots are leather, again already been mentioned but old fashioned dubbin. Csn buy it on amazon too. 

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

Nikwax tent and solargear waterproofing, failing that, Scotchgard heavy duty water shield (on tents n backpacking gear) You might get a bit sweaty if it's for clothes, they won't breathe like they are supposed to, and if they get wet inside (stepping in a deep puddle or stream in shoes cacked with goretex), it takes forever to dry out properly.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Nikwax is probably the best stuff. 

I don't rate it, used it as it was what everyone seemed to use, it's not a patch on Diver Dave's or Fabsil.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't rate it, used it as it was what everyone seemed to use, it's not a patch on Diver Dave's or Fabsil.

I'd use fabsil for tents maybe.  Nikwax on shoes is an amazing product, especially with the cleaner first. You can tell if it's working well, there should be beads of water just rolling off it. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I'd use fabsil for tents maybe.  Nikwax on shoes is an amazing product, especially with the cleaner first. You can tell if it's working well, there should be beads of water just rolling off it. 

I never lasts though, it isn't nearly as robust in coats and over trousers as the ones I use now, I was having to use it 3 or 4 times as often, I gave up on it and wouldn't use it again.

been here before

I never lasts though, it isn't nearly as robust in coats and over trousers as the ones I use now, I was having to use it 3 or 4 times as often, I gave up on it and wouldn't use it again.

Aye its not the best. It wouldnt ne my first choice.

Ok for light use, dug walking that sort of thing, but for anything prolonged there is better.

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye its not the best. It wouldnt ne my first choice.

Ok for light use, dug walking that sort of thing, but for anything prolonged there is better.

It's the faff of having to give the washing machine at least one full clean cycle to get rid of detergents, then the green wash then then purple wash, then to have to do it so often, **** that!

One coat of Diver Dave's lasts for ages, hose the worst of the dirt off the clothes and either 5 minutes in a hot tumble drier of a blast of a blow-drier and it's like new.

been here before
19 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's the faff of having to give the washing machine at least one full clean cycle to get rid of detergents, then the green wash then then purple wash, then to have to do it so often, **** that!

One coat of Diver Dave's lasts for ages, hose the worst of the dirt off the clothes and either 5 minutes in a hot tumble drier of a blast of a blow-drier and it's like new.

I might well give Diver Dave a go.

Which is a sentence I never thought I'd find myself saying, least of all to a stranger on the internet.

I see theres mention of using it on fishing flies. Ive always used Gink but would interesting to try this- you tried it as floatant?

Edited by been here before

1 minute ago, been here before said:

I might well give Diver Dave a go.

Which is a sentence I never thought I'd find myself saying, least of all to a stranger on the internet.

I see theres mention of using it on fishing flies. Ive always used Gink but would probably try this.

It's used on GoreTex waders, it's gives a barrier that lasts when fully submerged.

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Excellent contribution, go you!

:groundhog:

Tak powiedziała twoja żona.

:sadrobbo:

19 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Misread that as rambling with the muff

:oohmatron:      :facepalm:

+1 for nikwax. 

If you can afford to next time buy a product that's lined with goretex. You'll likely never need to treat it ever again. 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

+1 for nikwax. 

If you can afford to next time buy a product that's lined with goretex. You'll likely never need to treat it ever again. 

Anything with a Gore Tex drop liner or laminate definitely needs treating and washing regularly, the natural oils in your sweat blocks the pores in the Gore Tex and stops it working as well, when the DWR wears off the outer shell, rain completely blocks the pores when it wets out, also stopping the Gore Tex from performing. 

Anything with a Gore Tex drop liner or laminate definitely needs treating and washing regularly, the natural oils in your sweat blocks the pores in the Gore Tex and stops it working as well, when the DWR wears off the outer shell, rain completely blocks the pores when it wets out, also stopping the Gore Tex from performing. 

If you are just using it to walk a dug it'll likely never need treating is what i meant by that. 

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

If you are just using it to walk a dug it'll likely never need treating is what i meant by that. 

Aye, maybe, obviously depends on the amount of use 👍

• 5 weeks later...

Just went old school as the weather is getting worse and applied dubbin to pair of my boots. Not exactly the most modern science but enough to do the job for me. 

Also found the missing glove of my pair of Sealskinz cycling gloves. Maybe the only thing I own that is totally 100% waterproof, they've been totally immersed or soaked in the past and not a drop gets through, sadly not as warm as other gloves but totally wind and waterproof so good if you're doing active things. Also glad I found it as the sodding things cost a fortune.