Use by dates

Greedy Jambo

Use By is supposedly an actual safety thing, where consuming that product past that time may result in that product making a rapid re-appearance at one end or other.

But your eyes, nose and sense of touch will tell you when something is dodgy.

It's not as if foods go immediately deathly toxic at the stroke of midnight on the date on the package.

If it smells bad, or if it looks/feels slimy, it's bin time.

If it smells, looks and feels fine, it's lunch.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

If it smells bad, or if it looks/feels slimy, it's bin time.

If it smells, looks and feels fine, it's lunch.

Same goes for women. 

Milk it's always ****ed before the best before date anyway.Brutal in the morning you think you have just enough left and you go to use it and it's ****ed.

16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Milk it's always ****ed before the best before date anyway.Brutal in the morning you think you have just enough left and you go to use it and it's ****ed.

I can't say i've had that problem, but i know someone that moans about it. 

I buy semi skimmed milk and it's always good until the day it says so. 

Is a full fat thing? or maybe your fridge isn't cold enough?

Carl Fredrickson

I buy full fat milk and it easily lasts a week by its use before date. My fridge is set at 3 degrees (not the band). 

I rarely pay too much attention to use by dates, smell, look and feel of things are what I use. 

I got sick of buying 4 pint (2 litre) jugs of milk that always went off before I finished them.

Now I get 1 litre or 500ml and freeze some of them.

More expensive per mil but then I'm not pouring any down the drain any more so I'm probably ahead.

Same goes for cheese. no more big blocks that go off before I get to the end, get 2 smaller blocks and keep them unwrapped until you finish the first one. 

Edited by Cade

henrysmithsgloves

Me and the father in law have been passing the same can of McEwans between each other as a Xmas present since 1985. He started it, first gave me the can,the expiry date 1981🤢

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

When I bought myself a new fridge about 5 years ago i noticed a massive and immediate difference in how well my food and milk kept. Noticed a big difference in fruit and veg.

The old fridge still worked...i replaced it because when I paid for a repair for the same thing for the 2nd time i decided it was just going to be a money drain if I didn't change it.

55 minutes ago, Cade said:

Same goes for cheese. no more big blocks that go off before I get to the end, get 2 smaller blocks and keep them unwrapped until you finish the first one. 

Cheese is one of the foods that I just ignore the use-by dates. I've seen supermarkets reducing the prices of soft cheeses (brie, blue, etc) as they're getting close to the date, but if you look at them you can see they're only just getting to the "right" time for eating, ie. getting nice and ripe. Brie when it's almost running out of the wrapping is when it's at its best.

Cheddar past its date is fine too, and even if it looks like it's getting mouldy at the edges, you just need to cut that off and the rest is fine. 

Where do you store your milk? It could be pish but I saw something that as a lot of us stick it in the door, it isn't as cold as it could be in other parts of the fridge and that can contribute to it turning quicker than it should. 

Aren't the likes of Danish Blue and Stilton just out-of-date cheese anyway?

People drink wine, that's mostly just out-of-date fruit is it not? 

Sour Cream?

I'm not getting another covid jag by the way, we've all become a bunch of weaklings.

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Percival King

Heinz tomato sauce says it should be kept in the fridge and consumed within 8 weeks of opening. Never done either of these things, keep it in the kitchen cupboard and use it until it's finished. Maybe that's wrong but never seems to have done us any harm.

6 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Where do you store your milk? It could be pish but I saw something that as a lot of us stick it in the door, it isn't as cold as it could be in other parts of the fridge and that can contribute to it turning quicker than it should. 

My milk always goes in the door, the door of the fridge, that is. 

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Cheese is one of the foods that I just ignore the use-by dates. I've seen supermarkets reducing the prices of soft cheeses (brie, blue, etc) as they're getting close to the date, but if you look at them you can see they're only just getting to the "right" time for eating, ie. getting nice and ripe. Brie when it's almost running out of the wrapping is when it's at its best.

Cheddar past its date is fine too, and even if it looks like it's getting mouldy at the edges, you just need to cut that off and the rest is fine. 

Spot on.

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

My milk always goes in the door, the door of the fridge, that is. 

Might be a fridge age thing as someone said further up too. 

I don't have much issue with stuff going out of date, normally doesn't last in there long enough to get a chance. 

🍽😍

2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Might be a fridge age thing as someone said further up too. 

I don't have much issue with stuff going out of date, normally doesn't last in there long enough to get a chance. 

🍽😍

I find certain milk worst than others to be honest if I mistakenly pick up Graham's it doesn't last as long as say Scotmids own brand one for some reason.

Returning daughter is a hoover. Nowt lasts long. Annoyingly she still doesn’t get the concept of cling film and how to wrap it around cold meats / coleslaw etc in the fridge.  So annoying. Every single day 

12 hours ago, Cade said:

I got sick of buying 4 pint (2 litre) jugs of milk that always went off before I finished them.

Now I get 1 litre or 500ml and freeze some of them.

More expensive per mil but then I'm not pouring any down the drain any more so I'm probably ahead.

Keep buying the 4l and  pour into smaller cartons for freezing.

I buy 4l full fat for myself and semi for family use. I always get a full week out of the full fat.

12 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Have to, because the lids are so crap milk leaks out if lain on their sides … nothing worse than a milk leak in a fridge

7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Have to, because the lids are so crap milk leaks out if lain on their sides … nothing worse than a milk leak in a fridge

A small piece of cling film over the top before putting the lid on stops that.