Tirana (Albania)

Negan

Booked a few nights away at the beginning of November to Tirana. Cheap flights and accom so why not? Has anyone ever been or know anything worthwhile doing over there?

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve heard it’s proper beautiful and some incredible bursds. 

🤠 yeehaw

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, Negan said:

Booked a few nights away at the beginning of November to Tirana. Cheap flights and accom so why not? Has anyone ever been or know anything worthwhile doing over there?

Three of my mates have done the same and booked an apartment for the week.

Been a few times and really enjoyed it, Tirana itself is nothing special (lots of work going on to make it better for tourists) but the countryside outside and the coast are amazing. Pretty cheep grog but not as cheap as it used to be. 

I spent a small amount of time in Tirana. My main memory is of a bar called Radio Bar. Good cocktails, good music, good decor. I had a great time. 

3 hours ago, Negan said:

Enjoy bud.

1 hour ago, Serj Tankian said:

Have a look on YouTube you'll get an idea of what it looks like before you go . 

Good suggestion 

The cable car up Mount Dajti is worth a go. Bunk’Art1 and House of Leaves too.

Definitely eat out - good food at pretty cheap prices. Try everything. :)

The Mighty Thor

We fancy going over to the coast to Durres for a few days and Tirana fir a few days.

Eastern Europe is generally pretty good to visit 👍

N Lincs Jambo
9 hours ago, Negan said:

9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve heard it’s proper beautiful and some incredible bursds. 

7 hours ago, cheetah said:

Been a few times and really enjoyed it, Tirana itself is nothing special (lots of work going on to make it better for tourists) but the countryside outside and the coast are amazing. Pretty cheep grog but not as cheap as it used to be. 

6 hours ago, Serj Tankian said:

Have a look on YouTube you'll get an idea of what it looks like before you go . 

Fascinated by this thread. Have probably spent about 2 hours this evening trawling YouTube videos. Sarande in the south looks amazing with loads to see and do in the surrounding areas.

Final video I watched was a young American guy with 5 pros and 5 cons to living in Tirana. Seems very easy to get a residence permit and work if you have English as a language. Living in the vicinity of Scunthorpe I’m seriously tempted to jack it all in here and move there. Low prices, friendly locals and get Hearts games on Hearts TV 😂 

12 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Fascinated by this thread. Have probably spent about 2 hours this evening trawling YouTube videos. Sarande in the south looks amazing with loads to see and do in the surrounding areas.

Final video I watched was a young American guy with 5 pros and 5 cons to living in Tirana. Seems very easy to get a residence permit and work if you have English as a language. Living in the vicinity of Scunthorpe I’m seriously tempted to jack it all in here and move there. Low prices, friendly locals and get Hearts games on Hearts TV 😂 

Do you want a flatmate? 😂 In all seriousness though, anything would be better than living in the UK just now. The place is finished.

Edited by Negan

2 hours ago, Negan said:

Do you want a flatmate? 😂 In all seriousness though, anything would be better than living in the UK just now. The place is finished.

A bit slow on the uptake!  I thought it was finished when I left 47 yrs ago😂😉

Fxxx the SPFL
7 hours ago, Canscot said:

A bit slow on the uptake!  I thought it was finished when I left 47 yrs ago😂😉

my youngest brother (57) emigrated to Canada just before COVID intially in Fort Mcleod now in Edmonton lives on a complex for over 40's and no kids he loves it. 

N Lincs Jambo
13 hours ago, Negan said:

I’m a bit old for flatmates 😂. Turned 60 this year plus my wife and daughter would be with me. I’ll be very interested to read your comments about Tirana though. We’ve been looking at the coastal city of Sarande. Looks amazing 

24 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I’m a bit old for flatmates 😂. Turned 60 this year plus my wife and daughter would be with me. I’ll be very interested to read your comments about Tirana though. We’ve been looking at the coastal city of Sarande. Looks amazing 

Only kidding you on! That would be a full house! I will report back during/after my visit. 30 quid return flights from Edinburgh was an absolute steal.

N Lincs Jambo
24 minutes ago, Negan said:

Only kidding you on! That would be a full house! I will report back during/after my visit. 30 quid return flights from Edinburgh was an absolute steal.

Jeez, that’s an amazing price. Where did you find that and how far in advance did you have to book?

went a few years ago for the Scotland game and really enjoyed it.

the cablecar up mount Dajti was good and getting to playing crazy golf near the top of it while having a pint.

Montgomery Brewster
55 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

went a few years ago for the Scotland game and really enjoyed it.

the cablecar up mount Dajti was good and getting to playing crazy golf near the top of it while having a pint.

Ditto. One of the best TA trips

9 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

my youngest brother (57) emigrated to Canada just before COVID intially in Fort Mcleod now in Edmonton lives on a complex for over 40's and no kids he loves it. 

I lived in Edmonton for 20 yrs before moving to Calgary area. Been down here for 27 or so now. Not much in Ft MacLeod right enough. Good move going to Edmonton👍

That’s quite spooky, as me and my other half have been looking to go same time. Whether this time of year is meant to be good. Food/drink is cheap as well. I have been looking for past week, and prices have went up a bit already. 

Think I might just go and book

6 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Jeez, that’s an amazing price. Where did you find that and how far in advance did you have to book?

Booked it on Skyscanner (Ryanair flight). I only booked it a couple of days ago too!

I'm one of the three that Football First mentioned are going to Tirana.  We're going 7 to 14 November, flights are £40 return and we have a three bedroom apartment a couple of hundred metres from Skanderberg Square at a cost of £240 altogether (although they want paid in euros).  Temperature looks like it might be 20 to 25C with a bit of luck.  Will report back when we return. 

N Lincs Jambo
16 hours ago, LouReed said:

I'm one of the three that Football First mentioned are going to Tirana.  We're going 7 to 14 November, flights are £40 return and we have a three bedroom apartment a couple of hundred metres from Skanderberg Square at a cost of £240 altogether (although they want paid in euros).  Temperature looks like it might be 20 to 25C with a bit of luck.  Will report back when we return. 

You could well be in luck with the temperature. 32C there today. Not too shabby for October 

• 1 month later...

How did you guys enjoy Albania? Me and my friend are thinking of booking for next year. Any recommendations/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Saw a deal on Lucky Trip a few weeks back for 4 nights in Tirana, accommodation and flights for £97. Was tempted but don't know enough about the place like safety and generally if there is enough to do for 4 nights.

I was there with my other half for 4 nights beginning of November. Food and drink is very reasonable. We got a 32oz T bone steak, salad and 2 bottles of their local lager Korca and it was only £32. The steak was amazing. 

Albanians are very friendly. There were 2 Irish bars, one called Cheers which had decent draughty and an Irish whisky bar. We went to a place that did proper cocktails and you were talking £6-8 which isn’t bad. We didn’t do any serious nightlife so not sure what it’s like later in the evening. 

Tourist wise there are a few things to keep you entertained depending what you like. We went to their national museum and there are 2 bunk art museums which are old nuclear bunkers. They were ok. Too much reading for my liking but interesting all the same. 

We found a little rough and ready cafe/bar just round from our apartment where we went every night for 2/3 hours as we watched the champions league/. Europa etc. Again locals friendly, 2 bottles of that Korca were about £1.70 but it was a bit rough and ready. They had a large outdoor covered awning with 2 large screens so was perfect for watching a bit of football. 

We also went to the area where the communist party only ever let their leaders in that part of the city. Enver Hoxha the leaders house is there. It has been regenerated into a nice area with lots of pubs and restaurants. 

Car driving is batshit mental. All you hear are car horns tooting constantly. Even when the green man is on people still go through the crossing. Tirana is the only place in Albania with traffic lights. 

If you are looking for somewhere for cheap and decent food, it’s a good about. Just not sure about nightlife, clubbing etc but I suspect it is probably ok. 

Had a great week in Tirana 7 to 14 November.  Weather was sunny with temps of 18 to 20C for 3 days, 2 days were wet and the rest was mixed.

We found the Albanian people were friendly and welcoming.  English was pretty widely spoken, especially among younger people.

Despite Albania’s post war isolationism, the economy in Tirana seems to be developing rapidly.  There were a number of high rise hotels and banks etc being built, and not just concrete blocks, but architecturally attractive structures .  We found it a vibrant modern city with lots of good quality bars and restaurants.  The cheapest bar we found was called ‘Bar Brothers’, less than quarter of a mile from Skanderberg Sq, which charged 200 Lek (about £1:66) for a pint of lager.  Generally though, it was 250 to 350 Lek (£2 to £3) a pint.

I have a bank card that doesn’t charge commission for overseas transactions, but I found that paying by card isn’t very widespread in Tirana, mostly in high end pubs and restaurants only.  Instead I took money out of ATMs, but they all charge 700 Lek per withdrawal regardless of amount.  So, best to make large withdrawals, but be careful not to be left with a wad of Leks at the end as you are not meant to take them out the country.

My friends took euros and converted them at the kiosks which are at almost every street corner and that worked fine for them.  I would suggest if you have a Monzo, Starling, First Direct type card, then use that where you can, but bring a bung of euros to exchange for Lek to pay in other places.

We spent most of our time in central Tirana and felt totally safe even at night.  We didn’t come across anyone trying to rip us off as you do in other countries.  We didn’t travel outside Tirana, but judging from the number of people leaving Albania, I suspect the experience in rural Albania may be different from what we experienced.  I would certainly say to anyone thinking of going to definitely do it, it’s cheap but almost all the bars and restaurants were of a surprisingly good quality.