Will we finish 3rd?

Agentjambo

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

If we did finish 3rd it would ranks as our most consistent 3 seasons since about the mid-90s. 

If we finish 4th it would probably still rank as our most consistent 3 seasons yet potentially we could see the sacking of 2 managers (if last season is anything to go by).  All if's but's and maybe's 😬

If more teams approach the game the way Killie did I think our quality will be allowed to shine and would be confident of a high finish.  Was a good end to end game last night. 

Edited by damo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Greedy Jambo

• Go for it 1308

• AlphonseCapone

Top Posters In This Topic

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, damo said:

If we finish 4th it would probably still rank as our most consistent 3 seasons yet potentially we could see the sacking of 2 managers (if last season is anything to go by).  All if's but's and maybe's 😬

If more teams approach the game the way Killie did I think our quality will be allowed to shine and would be confident of a high finish.  Was a good end to end game last night. 

That would be quiet a fact. 

StevenNaismith

If we don’t strengthen significantly in January then I’d say no chance. We need pace in the team, we are so slow at times. Tagawa and Vargas look quick but lack the quality you’d want up top.

It’ll depend on injuries, not just us but the main contenders. Hibs without Boyle and that new striker would struggle and they’re light at the back. Aberdeens midfield look light if they lose anyone in there they could stumble and Europe will takes its toll up until Xmas.

The rest just don’t have the squads to compete over a season. 

We need to find some sort of balance in the team and get McKay and Halkett back! Oda and Tagawa also need to get fit both have pace something we sadly lack without them 

Nope can't see it, got a long way to go until I am convinced by this set up, it's possible but they really need to start picking up wins and putting points on the board.

20 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The results so far tonight suggest that we're not finishing 3rd. 

Kilmarnock were dog shit last night. 

Ross County (with 10 men for 76 minutes) and St Mirren haven't been dog shit I assume?

25 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Ross County have had 10

men for the majority of the game and I take it that St Mirren haven’t been dog shite tonight and been blown away by Hibs 🤦‍♂️🤣

5 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Ross County (with 10 men for 76 minutes) and St Mirren haven't been dog shit I assume?

Don't argue with me, you know i'm right. 

If we don’t finish third who’s going to be third . Both Aberdeen and Hibs look as bad as us , probably worse . 

Cant see St Mirren lasting the season 

1 minute ago, VALDOS' said:

The lack of quality in depth could be an issue, also management 

That applies to the other teams too though,  the depth in quality at least.

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Don't argue with me, you know i'm right. 

Hard to see us finishing 3rd with Naismith.

Bigging up Hibs and Aberdeen for results that weren't better than ours? Nah.

On the evidence so far, we will struggle for 3rd. Hoping we can keep on improving though. Injuries still hampering us. May not be taken too well on here, but I see Hibs as our main threat. They don't have any trouble finding the net, while our main goal threat looks way off it just now. We need to improve our service to Shanks and find a decent foil for him. Long long way to go yet. Need more of an impact from Vargas, Oda and Tagawa. 

Go for it 1308
7 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We certainly should and it should absolutely be the target set for Naismith 

Its the "It's not the be all and end all " to finish 3rd,  quote from Naismith, last season that I'm worried about....that's just wrong 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cup results?

:phface:

Still early days. Saturday is pretty much a must win even this early, as is the Hibs game. Given the points chucked away so far we could really do with getting something out of the old firm double header. 

Ideally we look to get around 56 points by the split. If we beat County, Hibs & Livingston and take a point from the cheeks games we would be looking at 17 points from first 11 games. That looks pretty optimistic based on what we've witnessed so far. Then need around 20 points from each segment of 11 games available pre split.

Hearts should be capable of achieving 65 points from a 38 game campaign given some if the dross at this level. We're playing catch up already.

Edited by Carter

Nobody thought Aberdeen would finish third last season after the season was far further on than we are now.

We've been crap so far but our current form doesn't dictate our future results, otherwise there'd be no point ever playing sport. 

Buckle in and enjoy the rollercoaster once again! 

Edited by hmfc1984
Typo

19 hours ago, j1964m said:

I will say no our defence looks as useful as a chocolate fire guard

Based on what exactly - the 3 league goals lost -  the same as smellic ?

7 &8 goals less conceded than those on the same points as us ? Incorrect - Shanks needs to get his mojo back - end of.

7 hours ago, hmfc1984 said:

Nobody thought Aberdeen would finish third last season after the season was far further on than we are now.

We've been crap so far but our current form doesn't dictate our future results, otherwise there'd be no point ever playing sport. 

Buckle in and enjoy the rollercoaster once again! 

enjoy?

Id lean towards no just now. Win the next 2 games and I'll be more positive.

For the record, I thought we were a certainty for 3rd in February so clearly don't listen to me. 

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Tour22 said:

I think we will need an absolute Masterclass in the January window to finish third.

Maybe just 2 signings,  a box to midfielder and a fast forward.

Tuesday was an example of how effective getting the basics right is in this league. If we work harder than the opposition then we absolutely have the players to beat most teams home and away. If we go back to the passive, slow football where we look like we’re not even trying to stamp our authority on the game - nae chance. Tuesday has earned Naismith one more crack at the whip imo but we have push on now, starting on saturday.

I was hopefuly before the season but we are too inconsistent, no balance in the squad, tactically incredibly naive ... so I don't think we will, although stranger things have happened if Naismith can get a grip of this and we can use the Kilmarnock game to kick on, although we said the same against Aberdeen

3rd - if in January we sign a creative box to box midfielder, another dominant CB, a winger (we can't rely on Vargas and Oda the whole season who are still very young) and possibly another striker.

17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's possible. With everything put together we do have the squad for it. 

very possible, just a bit more belief and cut out the mistakes.

3rd is wide open due to inconsistency among the contenders.  It could be ours if we move forward with the efforts shown against Aberdeen and Killie.  However if we move forward with the Dundee and St Mirren performances then we have zero chance of 3rd.  A big few weeks coming up.  I think we'll have a better idea of our chances by the time we get to Hampden.

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe just 2 signings,  a box to midfielder and a fast forward.

This would be a masterclass in my eyes if they were good. January is near impossible to operate in for a club like Hearts. We will be relying on the loan market, which can go wrong.

Edited by Tour22

I think we need to add at both ends of the pitch to make 3rd. I would like another centre back as we're still making too many mistakes in there giving away soft goals.,

Would also like a big mobile striker to mix things up and keep us up the pitch.

Don't  have anyone in mind but I'm sure there will be players available.

19 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hibs and Aberdeen aren’t the competition for third, St Mirren currently have to be favourites for third.

All due respect to them I just don't view them as a side that's likely to sustain this for a full season. 

Top 5 will be the same teams as last season, just the order might change.