Vale of Leithen v Hearts XI

PapaShango

Anyone going along to this tonight, 7.30pm kick off fiver on the gate. I noticed the Vale have a few locals playing including Murray Davidson and Liam Craig and ex Hibs Steven Notman. Not sure what kind of side Hearts will field, imagine it will be a mix of U18's and B team players. 

32 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Anyone going along to this tonight, 7.30pm kick off fiver on the gate. I noticed the Vale have a few locals playing including Murray Davidson and Liam Craig and ex Hibs Steven Notman. Not sure what kind of side Hearts will field, imagine it will be a mix of U18's and B team players. 

The U18s are playing at Hamilton tomorrow, so it should be a strong'ish B team tonight.

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Interesting. I see Vale are currently bottom of the second tier of the EoS leagues, after two successive relegations, and are continuing to lose a lot of goals. Persuading any of three you mention to sign up for competitive games with them would maybe help to stop the free fall. 

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Interesting. I see Vale are currently bottom of the second tier of the EoS leagues, after two successive relegations, and are continuing to lose a lot of goals. Persuading any of three you mention to sign up for competitive games with them would maybe help to stop the free fall. 

Has Murray Davidson retired from the game? Remember him being in the Scotland squad at one time and was very decent for St Johnstone. Maybe injuries caught up with him a bit and know he's from Innerleithen so maybe the reason he's turning out tonight. 

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Has Murray Davidson retired from the game? Remember him being in the Scotland squad at one time and was very decent for St Johnstone. Maybe injuries caught up with him a bit and know he's from Innerleithen so maybe the reason he's turning out tonight. 

Yes, Murray Davidson retired in the summer after 14 seasons at St Johnstone. He didn’t really feature after September 2022 but made an 89th minute cameo appearance in their final game of their season in May. 

Incidentally, I see on checking wiki that MD did pick up one Scotland cap, as an 89th minute sub in a friendly against Luxembourg in November 2012. Who remembers that (apart from MD himself, presumably). 

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Yes, Murray Davidson retired in the summer after 14 seasons at St Johnstone. He didn’t really feature after September 2022 but made an 89th minute cameo appearance in their final game of their season in May. 

Incidentally, I see on checking wiki that MD did pick up one Scotland cap, as an 89th minute sub in a friendly against Luxembourg in November 2012. Who remembers that (apart from MD himself, presumably). 

That's up there with Lewis Stevenson's 1 cap. What were you thinking Scotland 🤣

Looks like Hearts are trying a new formation.

McConnell in goal

Back 3 of Smutek Rathie and Nair

Midfield diamond formation with Denholm, Tait, Sandilands and Duncan

Wingbacks Forrester and Dall

Striker Kirk.

9 subs listed so I'd expect major changes in the second half.

Edited by Footballfirst

Wilson and Gordon got the second half goals. Dall, Kirk (3) and Forrester scored the first half goals.

Will have to do a little research on the two trialists who came on for the last half hour. One of them came on for Macaulay Tait and you could have mistaken the pair in terms of how they played.

The_razors_edge
5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Wilson and Gordon got the second half goals. Dall, Kirk (3) and Forrester scored the first half goals.

Will have to do a little research on the two trialists who came on for the last half hour. One of them came on for Macaulay Tait and you could have mistaken the pair in terms of how they played.

Don’t recognise McConnell in goal. Any idea who he is? 

6 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Don’t recognise McConnell in goal. Any idea who he is? 

Jack McConnell, ex Rangers. He was brought in to be back up for Liam McFarlane for the B team, as Hearts released their two other keepers who were old enough to play in the Lowland League.

4 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I was there with a few St Johnstone fans, they were very excited !!! 
think it was the first time a saints player had been capped for many a year 

I've asked around and confirmed that the trialists were two youngsters (2005s) from New Zealand who play for Western Suburbs.

Found an Instagram post about their visit.

Screenshot2023-09-21234739.thumb.jpg.2149e26508f7088a583cfa5c873f3e3d.jpg

28 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Moment of the night was an Adam Forrester pass to Macaulay Tait that nutmegged Liam Craig, which prompted an expletive from the ex Hibby.

If I'm not mistaken Craig was a Jambo as well (as a youth) but that apart can I say that you do a great job keeping us up to date re our future stars.

Much appreciated.

Cameronstheman
8 minutes ago, ericb said:

Does Kirk not meet a place in first team squad?

I said similar the other week, not on last night game, but his season so far merits a wee place on the bench i say 

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

If I'm not mistaken Craig was a Jambo as well (as a youth) but that apart can I say that you do a great job keeping us up to date re our future stars.

Much appreciated.

He played for Hearts up to U16s at least. Played in the same team as my grandson, plus Berra and Sives

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I've asked around and confirmed that the trialists were two youngsters (2005s) from New Zealand who play for Western Suburbs.

Found an Instagram post about their visit.

Screenshot2023-09-21234739.thumb.jpg.2149e26508f7088a583cfa5c873f3e3d.jpg

I think I've discovered where we are going wrong

Our training is shrinking player's legs...

2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

I thought he was a Tim 

Pretty sure he is a hibs fan, at least he got slagged for it when playing for Hearts kids

Niemi’s gloves
48 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Just cut out the religion crap. 

I think the poster that you are replying was probably using “Tim” to mean “Celtic supporter”

To quote the Celtic Wiki

”a Tim is simply a Celtic supporter, and is a regular self-referential terms used by Celtic supporters”. 

The entry goes on to argue that while “Tim” is sometimes  lazily used by Rangers fans to mean “Catholic”, it is used by fans of other Scottish clubs purely to mean “Celtic fan”.

No need to infer religious bigotry on the part of fellow Hearts supporters. 

9 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I think the poster that you are replying was probably using “Tim” to mean “Celtic supporter”

To quote the Celtic Wiki

”a Tim is simply a Celtic supporter, and is a regular self-referential terms used by Celtic supporters”. 

The entry goes on to argue that while “Tim” is sometimes  lazily used by Rangers fans to mean “Catholic”, it is used by fans of other Scottish clubs purely to mean “Celtic fan”.

No need to infer religious bigotry on the part of fellow Hearts supporters. 

Well JKB must of slackened the rules because a few years ago warnings were given out for using the words, Tim, Tattie Muncher, Fenian etc. 

57 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Well JKB must of slackened the rules because a few years ago warnings were given out for using the words, Tim, Tattie Muncher, Fenian etc. 

Tim is nothing to do with religion it refers to Tim Malloy . Well not nothing to do with religion I suppose , but it is not a religious slur 

Fenian is a funny one though , it depends on the context and the prefix or suffix . The origin of the name comes from Fenian Warrior 

Tattie muncher is just ignorant and people using it should probably read up on the potato blight that affected Scotland 

Edited by Sooks

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Tim is nothing to do with religion it refers to Tim Malloy . Well not nothing to do with religion I suppose , but it is not a religious slur 

Fenian is a funny one though , it depends on the context and the prefix or suffix . The origin of the name comes from Fenian Warrior 

Tattie muncher is just ignorant and people using it should probably read up on the potato blight that affected Scotland 

As an aside, has anyone seen the disgusting new Walkers Ad, where they are all stuffing their faces?  Personally, I think it's a concealed hate crime against the Irish.

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

As an aside, has anyone seen the disgusting new Walkers Ad, where they are all stuffing their faces?  Personally, I think it's a concealed hate crime against the Irish.

Well that is certainly an aside . Not really got a lot else to say about that