Train Fares

Armageddon

Just a shout if anyone didn't know, that for a 6 month trial the train fares in Scotland will be priced at of peak prices all the time.  I drove into the City this morning and it burst my balls, 1 hour 40 minutes for a 10 mile journey, plus there's about to be 27 weeks of roadworks passing the airport.... so, time for me to get back on the train and the saving will be significant, in time and money.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/off-peak-fares-all-day-long

joondalupjambo

Good that the SG are trying this.

We use trains but luckily only after peak hours and with a railcard so costs not too bad.  

10 miles.  You could have jogged that quicker than driving this morning 🙂

Edited by joondalupjambo

It says Inverkeithing to Edinburgh is going down from £11.10 to £6.50. That's what it costs just now. 

It's £11.10 return from Kirkcaldy. 

They're at it.

🖕

19 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

It says Inverkeithing to Edinburgh is going down from £11.10 to £6.50. That's what it costs just now. 

They're at it.

🖕

It doesn't start until 2nd October.

Thunder and Lightning

Good idea, hopefully help a few people out along the way. 

May get some cars off the road. 

Be interesting to see the numbers at the end of the trial. 

Got an off peak to crossmyloof a week past tues for England game, was quite surprised to see it set me back 17.70! Still only 14.90 to Queen St. :lol:  Conversely, was eleven quid odd to Galashiels a week before that, which I thought was pretty good.

I'd use the railways more often if they were affordable , they're not imo!

Edited by ArcticJambo

Lord Montpelier

Rail fares have been too high for ages so this is a good move. Public transport has to be more affordable for people to use it on a regular basis. 

Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the 6 months as putting prices back to the point they are at currently won't win any political popularity contests. 

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

They're at it.

🖕

I think the return fare is 11.10 during peak

For the period if 6 months my read is the return fare goes to 6.50 during peak (or just all day)

2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

They're at it.

🖕

Don't think that's right, it's more than £11 when I go from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh 

1 hour ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I think the return fare is 11.10 during peak

For the period if 6 months my read is the return fare goes to 6.50 during peak (or just all day)

Ah got it.

Mind you, doesn't really apply to me these days as work from home. Typical. 😁

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I regularly get the £1 child ticket on Scotrail for my child but have to book it at the ticket office

A baby step in the right direction, but doesn't do enough to address the fact that rail prices in Scotland are an absolute disgrace. Nearly £75 for a train to Dingwall for County away is a nonsense.

39 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

A baby step in the right direction, but doesn't do enough to address the fact that rail prices in Scotland are an absolute disgrace. Nearly £75 for a train to Dingwall for County away is a nonsense.

There's deals to be found 😎

59 minutes ago, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

I regularly get the £1 child ticket on Scotrail for my child but have to book it at the ticket office

You can buy it on board aswell. 

Montgomery Brewster
19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Just a shout if anyone didn't know, that for a 6 month trial the train fares in Scotland will be priced at of peak prices all the time.  I drove into the City this morning and it burst my balls, 1 hour 40 minutes for a 10 mile journey, plus there's about to be 27 weeks of roadworks passing the airport.... so, time for me to get back on the train and the saving will be significant, in time and money.

What’s this about roadworks passing the airport ? Link?

mrmarkus1981_1

Trains are an absolute rip off and I can prove it.

From Dunbar, it's cheaper to get a return to Linlithgow than Edinburgh.

Commuter tax 🖕

1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

I assume it’s the roadworks that have already started on the other side of the road of the airport where the new houses are being built ? 

joondalupjambo

If you can plan ahead, have not needed to travel at peak times and you have a railcard there are some really good deals on prices.  If you have had to travel at peak times, do not plan ahead or cannot plan ahead then yep pretty high costs.  Peak time fares or last minute long distance returns are a killer.

20 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

If you can plan ahead, have not needed to travel at peak times and you have a railcard there are some really good deals on prices.  If you have had to travel at peak times, do not plan ahead or cannot plan ahead then yep pretty high costs.  Peak time fares or last minute long distance returns are a killer.

It's the similar model on airlines.  Book ahead and you will likely get a reasonable deal. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

It's the similar model on airlines.  Book ahead and you will likely get a reasonable deal. 

I’m glad you used the word reasonable, wasn’t too long ago you could get cheap deals on flights. The cost these days can be ridiculous even when the planning well in advance. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

I assume it’s the roadworks that have already started on the other side of the road of the airport where the new houses are being built ? 

I was along that way last weekend. There is a 40mph contraflow between Junctions 24-26 on the M8, which caused slow traffic on the approaches at both ends and through the roadworks (Junction 24 is Ibrox, the airport is Junction 28).  It took around 20mins to get from the M77 junction (22) to the Airport.  Heading westbound, stick to the lane using the hard shoulder as long as possible.

23 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’m glad you used the word reasonable, wasn’t too long ago you could get cheap deals on flights. The cost these days can be ridiculous even when the planning well in advance. 

Yip, booked some fights to Cyprus last week flying next month.  Pretty expensive.  

5 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

So it's down to 1 lane at the moment, then it stops for 4 weeks, then fully closes for 27 weeks and the east bound side of the dual carriageway will be used for 2 way traffic.

This was from a boy at the golf club as opposed to any council notice, I've not even checked the facts of that.

Montgomery Brewster
47 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

So it's down to 1 lane at the moment, then it stops for 4 weeks, then fully closes for 27 weeks and the east bound side of the dual carriageway will be used for 2 way traffic.

This was from a boy at the golf club as opposed to any council notice, I've not even checked the facts of that.

Hopefully hearsay and nonsense. Although Edinburgh council have plenty experience in pissing off people short notice for long periods of time.

the whole plans they have published for this a8 corridor between broxburn and maybury are half baked at best and continue the bike lane mantra. Although at 36 million quid it’s a total waste of cash

On 21/09/2023 at 10:28, Armageddon said:

Good. About time.

With petrol prices still sky-high, it's the good time to get folk back onto public transport.

Samuel Camazzola
19 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Although it shouldn't be the way to get the best price, split-ticketing is the way to go with journeys like this. 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Although it shouldn't be the way to get the best price, split-ticketing is the way to go with journeys like this. 

Never used any of those apps. 

On 21/09/2023 at 10:28, Armageddon said:

Working in Bristol I'm fecking sick of the buses (I live in Bath 12 miles down the road). I'm actually thinking of getting the train. It's a little dearer but at least it will be quicker than the 1 hour 15 mins it currently takes. Its quicker flying to Edinburgh ffs. The train will be slightly dearer but at least I know if its going to show up or not. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Never used any of those apps. 

I've not used an app before. Just play about with the stops on the route. 

For Edinburgh to Aviemore, got a much cheaper price by getting ticket from Edinburgh to Perth then Perth to Aviemore. Two tickets but one train. 

For Kirkcaldy to Aberdeen, found it cheaper to buy ticket from Inverkeithing to Aberdeen rather than from Kirkcaldy. Also had Edinburgh to Leuchars then Leuchars to Aberdeen working out much cheaper than Edinburgh to Aberdeen although it was same train. 

Worth a play about with as sometimes 1st class tickets are cheaper than standard since the quota hasn't been sold. 👍 

I regularly travel from my local station outside Glasgow to Leeds for £20 or thereabouts thanks to split tickets.

Most I've paid is £30 in the opposite direction, booking the night before.

Doctor FinnBarr
13 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Trains are an absolute rip off and I can prove it.

From Dunbar, it's cheaper to get a return to Linlithgow than Edinburgh.

Commuter tax 🖕

Anytime we're at Thurston and getting the train to Haymarket  we always end up with tickets to Livi North as its cheaper, how do they work these fares out?

Another one is Bathgate-Morpeth, cheaper to avoid any train that stops in Morpeth and instead go directly to Newcastle then get a local train back to a station you passed through 30 minutes before.

47 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Anytime we're at Thurston and getting the train to Haymarket  we always end up with tickets to Livi North as its cheaper, how do they work these fares out?

Another one is Bathgate-Morpeth, cheaper to avoid any train that stops in Morpeth and instead go directly to Newcastle then get a local train back to a station you passed through 30 minutes before.

I once asked at the station in Bathgate why it is so much more expensive to go to Glasgow from there than to Edinburgh, given the similar distance. There were so many answers that could have been satisfactory, but what I got was 'The Glasgow train goes through more stations'. My own response of 'but I only want to use one!' didn't seem to be as logical as I thought......

On a separate note, I came back from Edinburgh to Bathgate today at 17:08 and thought the train was really quiet. Has the work from home trend really had that effect?

Doctor FinnBarr
55 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I once asked at the station in Bathgate why it is so much more expensive to go to Glasgow from there than to Edinburgh, given the similar distance. There were so many answers that could have been satisfactory, but what I got was 'The Glasgow train goes through more stations'. My own response of 'but I only want to use one!' didn't seem to be as logical as I thought......

On a separate note, I came back from Edinburgh to Bathgate today at 17:08 and thought the train was really quiet. Has the work from home trend really had that effect?

Before lockdown the station carpark was rammed everyday but I've noticed since it was lifted there is parking spaces during the day so maybe more still working from home.

Or a lot louse early on a Friday.

8 hours ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Before lockdown the station carpark was rammed everyday but I've noticed since it was lifted there is parking spaces during the day so maybe more still working from home.

Or a lot louse early on a Friday.

I think companies are doing alternate days in at the office.

One week in Mon, Wed, Fri.

Next week Tue and Thu.

They are still taking the P. I recently travelled from Rome-Naples and return (200 odd km v Edinburgh-Glasgow about 80km) and it cost 15Eu standard on way south and 19Eu Business class on Hi-Speed express on return - took an hour and 10, and was on-time.

We get the total mickey taken out of us in this country by the rail companies - always blaming the narrow guage, leaves on the line, wrong weather, platforms too short, yet for decades now they've been syphoning money off to shareholders and in excessive pay deals rather than investing in the infrastructure and rolling stock...and we accept it.

Edited by Spellczech